Gap "credit cards" Reviews | Glassdoor

1,049 Ratings
  1. "Tough place to be!"

Former Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Gap full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Product is good, closing stores that are under performing

Cons

Credit card push, running out of basics, not understanding their markets. Cold weather is not the same everywhere

Advice to Management

If you constantly push something in a market you will lose customers with the high pressure. Produce quality products and allow people to see them.

Gap2019-08-02
  2. "Great learning experience, never again though"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Gap full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent discount, learned a lot about business

Cons

Unrealistic workload goals, no pay raises, no room for growth, have to literally beg customers to apply for credit cards and sign up for rewards program

Gap2019-07-26
  3. "Horrible, management does not care about employees."

I worked at Gap part-time for less than a year

Pros

No pros, it was a miserable job.

Cons

Management is selfish, only cares about their bonuses from credit cards.

Advice to Management

Care less about credit cards & more about how the store functions.

Gap2019-06-25
  4. "Gap Cards"

Current Employee - Sales Associaate

I have been working at Gap part-time for less than a year

Pros

They are very flexible with hours and typically people trust you to do your job.

Cons

Gap cards. I don't know why companies seem to think that customers want corporate cards shoved down they're throats but at Gap, they have a whole three-part system to try and sell them, like are they trying to get customers to never want to walk into the door again? If you're not comfortable selling credit cards just go somewhere else honestly.

Gap2019-04-13
  5. "If you don’t have a brain, you’ll love it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Gap part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome discount- 50% off- at Gap, Banana, and Old Navy

Cons

Everyone is uptight, you have to constantly push credit cards on people, monotonous

Gap2019-04-11
  6. "Not bad but overwhelming"

Current Employee - Merchandise Flow Manager in Dawsonville, GA

I have been working at Gap full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amount of Pay Name recognition Culture

Cons

Obtaining credit cards Balancing all duties in time allotted

Advice to Management

Give more hours

Gap2019-03-29
  7. "Decent/standard retail job"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gap part-time for less than a year

Pros

Store management seems genuinely interested in the well-being of employees.

Cons

Early morning shifts to upload shipments are rough. They press you to push company credit cards pretty hard.

Gap2019-03-10
  8. "great start"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Gap part-time for less than a year

Pros

- great team -great environment -great discount Working at gap was a great start experience as an opportunity for me to grow and learn a lot about retail. The environment was very calm and the other employees and managers are very nice and friendly and they make it feel almost like a family. The 50% discount is great and you can use it at all gap factory and brand stores. I loved how the people I worked with helped me to grow and learn to get better. The customers were always very nice and friendly.

Cons

-low hours -slow store -heavily relies on gap cards -favoritism -management and training isn't that great Gap heavily relies on gap credit cards and forces you to harass the customers about getting them and if you don't they take away your hours which I feel is unfair because customers don't really want a credit card. It took me months to get one card with a customer and they expect you to get it every shift. Even the associates that did get a lot of cards they only received a piece of candy or cheap gift cards to places and that's all they don't get any real bonuses. The hours are also another problem because when I first started off I worked like 3 to 4 times a week but that went down to working only like once a week because I didn't get that many gap cards. and on top of that they cut your hours so many times I can't stress how many times I came in and they tell me that I can go home early because they can't afford to keep me any longer. I remember one time they scheduled me for 3 hours just to come in and clean up the store before it opened and then letting me go an hour early. On top of that, the store is really slow and they don't have that many customers which is another issue affecting the hours. Also the training is very unorganized they just expect you to watch a 30 minute video and read alot of information and just expect you to automatically know everything without any hands-on training. I had to figure out things most of the time on my own and they didn't even train me for the register until 8 months after I got hired and they left me on the kid's side for the remainder of the time without letting me go to the adult side at all or do anything else. They just left me to recover clothes on the kid's side and putting clothes back or to do ship from store and that's all. And lastly, I feel that there is some favoritism and competition that goes around because they pick and choose who is better or that they like more and gives more benefit based on that.

Advice to Management

Training can be a lot better and more organized and also train on everything, not just some things just everything. don't be so forceful about gap cards management could be a lot better

Gap2019-03-24
  9. "Fine for a minimum wage job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Gap part-time

Pros

At the location I worked they were extremely flexible with my college schedule. At times I only worked one day a week, and they didn't even bat an eye when I said I couldn't work Black Friday one year.

Cons

A lot of the technology they use is outdated and can make it difficult to perform tasks. They also push employees very hard to make people sign up for their credit card. To the point where sometimes I felt guilty because there were people being signed up that clearly couldn't afford more debt.

Advice to Management

Sitting new employees in font of training videos and then setting them loose in the store isn't very good training. It took a very long time for me to feel confident in what I was responsible for. More hands on or one on one training with a manager would be extremely helpful.

Gap2019-02-22
  10. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Gap part-time

Pros

Flexible scheduling, and great coworkers

Cons

So much pressure to get customers to sign up for credit cards

Gap2018-12-18