Gap "credit cards" Reviews | Glassdoor

Art Peck
1,049 Ratings
  1. "A lot of "on call""

I worked at Gap part-time

Pros

I was able to get a job here fast. Granted it was near the holidays! But a lot of places at the mall weren't hiring, and this place accepted me. They also had fairly good pay.

Cons

There was a high turn around at this location from what I saw. I was a key holder at my former place, and counted the drawers, took the deposits to the bank, closed and opened the store for the day, etc. But at this place the most I was allowed to do was fold clothes, and try to sell gap credit cards. There was a lot of pressure to do this, and you ONLY got to move up or touch the register or train to do more if you sold these stupid credit cards. People got flat out angry when we would ask (I do too when I go shopping and someone asks me that!) but then we'd get in trouble if we didn't ask! Lose-Lose. I knew it was a temporary job for me so I didn't care to move up but I felt bad for those that wanted to. We would have to stay HOURS after close each night, sometimes past midnight to rearrange everything! My schedule would have a lot of "You're on call from 7pm-close (9pm)" This meant by 6:00pm we would get a call or text that would say we need to come in or we aren't coming in. It was all decided by how many sales AND how many cards people signed up for that day. I would be "on call" for 3 days in a row out of 5. It sucked because you need the money but you're basically waiting at their beck and call even after you gave them your schedule. Then you could come in, and it could be slow for an hour and they say "okay, you need to go home, we can't afford to keep you here". I don't know if this is how it is at all GAP locations but whew, this one was rough! As for the pay though. Yes, it was at a good rate for a 'bottom employee". BUT I feel like they knew I'd only be getting 10-15 hours, not the 30 they told me I'd be getting!

Advice to Management

Don't put so much pressure on everyone to sell the silly cards. NO Customer wants to be bombarded with sales people, especially as they just shop for clothes! Ask at the check out like department stores. Don't give employee's jobs if you can't give guarantee hours! Some people's lives depends on jobs and you may be the only one they have. They can't live off of 10 hours pay in one week and 40 in the next with no guarantee. :/

Gap2018-03-22
  2. "Ok place to work when in transition"

I worked at Gap part-time

Pros

Flexible scheduling, and understanding of other priorities (i.e. school)

Cons

Strong emphasis on credit card sales.

Gap2018-01-23
  3. "Associate"

I worked at Gap part-time

Pros

Pretty good discount for employees.

Cons

Not a fun environment. Too much pressure to push credit cards.

Gap2018-02-05
  4. "Cool people, bad way of handling retail"

in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Gap

Pros

the people I worked with were great, the hours were good, the discount was pretty nice

Cons

while the management were nice people they seemed very miserable, the way everything was processed seemed very outdated and slow, and the push to get people to sign up for credit cards was absolutely horrible.

Gap2018-01-03
  5. "Great Place"

I worked at Gap full-time

Pros

Management was responsive and reasonable in tasks.

Cons

Forcing credit cards on people.

Gap2017-12-20
  6. "Retail"

I worked at Gap part-time

Pros

50% off Banana Republic and Gap. Indie music usually on store playlist.

Cons

Really need to push and sell Gap credit cards.

Advice to Management

Have team building exercises. Don't let an employee feel left out.

Gap2017-11-25
  7. "part time sales associate review"

I worked at Gap part-time

Pros

fun work environment, management was easy to work with

Cons

selling credit cards, hard to find shift coverage

Gap2017-11-09

"Teach yourself the ways of Gap"

Current Employee - Style Specialist in Dawsonville, GA

I have been working at Gap part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The employee discount is wonderful, along with all my coworkers. Our team works so well together and we all get along so well. The pay is good for part-time work as long as you can get the hours.

Cons

Hours are cut short for those who management sees as low workers. Management doesn't provide training to employees other than a quick 30 minute walk through of the store and register system. You have to learn everything on your own. Gap Cards are a huge focus on the sales floor and at the registers. Most days it seems like we are a credit card company and not a clothing retailer because of the huge push to open those cards. I've seen people walk out of the store because of how many times we asked them to open a Gap Card. Their usual response is that they don't want the card and will just buy the stuff online. Gap expects you to devote your life to them and not have any life outside of work.

Advice to Management

Lower the credit card goal and focus more on building a positive customer experience. Work with your employees to train them on everything. Give our recognition to your employees to make them feel welcomed and want to perform better.

Gap2017-11-20
  9. "Gap"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Gap part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good employee discount Flexible hours

Cons

Mangers are pushy about credit cards Will give you basically full time hours but no benefits

Advice to Management

Tell your employees you appreciate their work.

Gap2017-11-19
  10. "Great Place to Work for Part-Time"

Former Employee - Brand Leader in Grandville, MI

I worked at Gap part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gap is a great company to work for. They sell great product and put a lot of time and effort supporting causes that support equality for all people. The work environment was always friendly and I appreciated the standards they strive for. There was room for growth in my position and flexibility in hours.

Cons

Due to the status of the retail industry, it's hard to get hours working at a mall. The only other thing that is a con is the push to sell credit cards, but you will get that at most stores.

Gap2017-10-26