GardaWorld Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 10, 2018

GardaWorld Founding President and Chief Executive Officer Stéphan D. Crétier
Stéphan D. Crétier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The pay is decent but not worth what we go through (see cons) (in 16 reviews)

• Good pay, good people, state of the art building (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, need to be available 24/7 (in 27 reviews)

• Bad hours (6am start time) which leads to poor work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

1. "Growth"

Former Employee - Teller in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Teller in Portland, OR

I worked at GardaWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules and management work well with you if you need time off.

Cons

No opportunities for growth. Pay is not equal and not always based on experience. People have worked there for many years and make less than the person that has only worked for a few months

Advice to Management

Fair salary and pay.

2. "Demanding Work"

I worked at GardaWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With the amount of hours you accrue, pay is fairly decent.

Cons

Poor management structure and empty promises. Long days with difficulty in scheduling time off for both recreation and emergencies. Schedule/job can change daily due to personnel changes.

Advice to Management

Rework management structure to allow for greater employee relations. Consider larger incentives to stay with the company.

3. "Driver/Messanger"

I have been working at GardaWorld full-time

Pros

Pay is good definitely a lot of hours

Cons

Not a set end time, no completely staffed

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, stop brushing our issues off

4. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at GardaWorld full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was a friendly place and we had a lot of together time,

Cons

Big turnovers in management over the years I worked there.

5. "Bids and Proposals Director"

I worked at GardaWorld full-time

Pros

Very engaging line of work. Interesting places. Great front line people.

Cons

Leadership largely disconnected from junior staff. Market decisions require more analysis.

Advice to Management

Use the processes/methods paid for from the consultants you'e hired.

"Armored courier"

Current Employee - Driver/Armored Courier in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Driver/Armored Courier in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at GardaWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One Pro to working at Garda would be the your co-workers. They are the ones to make the day go smoothly. The starting pay is also decent for those of you looking for more than just minimum wage.

Cons

The amount of time you have to put into work is something I would consider a Con here. If you are looking to work more than your 40 hours then Garda is for you. You will more than likely be working no less than 45 hours a week, although it really depend on how you and your partner work together getting through the route, sometimes it does come down to how management distributes the stops.
    Another Con for me is the staff, they seem to look out for themselves instead of the employees.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage new customers with how many routes and employees you have in the branch. New customers is always a good thing but when your also overwhelming your employees this causes issues, like poor customer service and way to much overtime.

"Good"

Pros

Interesting work, good work life balance

Cons

Human Resources system operates very poorly

8. "It's a Job"

Former Employee - Branch Supervisor in Roseburg, OR
    Former Employee - Branch Supervisor in Roseburg, OR

I worked at GardaWorld full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros for GardaWorld, for me as a Supervisor, varied day-by-day. The majority of the work is very tedious and repetitive; however, you get to work outside of a building and you get to see smiling faces and work with the same customers everyday, that is assuming you are assigned to the same route everyday.

While you are at work you get to enjoy your exercise, especially when you are the messenger on a truck. You will be challenged everyday to lift heavy bags of money, bags of coin, and boxes of coin which certainly help you get your work out and, if you are counting, you will get your steps in, too.

When you are out and about you are somewhat charged with managing yourself. As a Supervisor, I was responsible for managing the entire route system in a particular city; however, if you are just a messenger or driver, you are pretty much left to your own and allowed to do whatever is necessary to get the job done, within reason.

A plus, for me, is that kids love seeing the big armored trucks and they love waving at you and saying "Hi". I love kids so this is a plus, for me.

Cons

The location I worked out of has a lot of immature people who love to talk behind each other's backs, including the managers, as well as a lot of drama queens. If you were not a part of the "clique", they all banded against you and had nothing positive to say about you which is super unfortunate because that is how GardaWorld, especially this branch, looses it's employees and it is one of the top reasons current employees are seeking a different job.

The management team was excellent until we took over another branch in April. Since that transition, neither of the managers get along with each other. They are constantly throwing each other on the bus and neither of them take responsibility for anything they do. One of the managers will tell you anything you want to hear, such as time off requests being approved, and then at the last minute he will tell you he couldn't do it and tell you to "deal with it".

The vehicles we had, when I first started, were terrible. They upgraded us to a brand new 2017 fleet which was extremely nice; however, the driver and messenger are not allowed to be near each other anymore which, for some people is great and for others is bad. With that being said; however, messengers will generally sit up front with the driver on a rigid plastic tub as the front has only one seat, with a seat belt, and that is the driver's. One of our "new" vehicles had 600,000+ miles on it and whenever they used it the air conditioning would not work. The recommendation they received, from management, when it was 110 degrees outside, was "drink a lot of water"... that's it.

Oh, and while talking about vehicles, GardaWorld does not pay their maintenance bills so the places that actually did work on the vehicles and got things repaired refuse to service their vehicles anymore so the vehicles are taken to a shop that claims they fix things but... it shouldn't take 18 trips to the mechanic to fix a seat belt... just my opinion.

Also, if you are hoping GardaWorld fulfills their statement on you only have to supply your own fire arm and boots, you're fooling yourself. They claim they will supply everything else but they don't. I have seen new employees be supplied with shirts and that's it. I was supplied with body armor... that expired in 2007... seems safe. One of my co-workers had body armor that literally fell apart in his vest carrier. If you get offered a job here, expect to buy your own holster, your own uniforms and clothing, your own boots, and anything else you want to use (ahem: armor).

You will also get to meet a lot of wonderful customers who absolutely despise Garda. They are so friendly and are not rude, at all. They treat you like a second-class citizen and sometimes straight up tell you you're stupid because you didn't deliver that box of quarters that was never loaded onto your truck because they (the customer) never ordered it. This is a customer service job, folks, just like answering calls in a call center.

Advice to Management

Ha. Ha. Ha. They don't listen, by the way.

"Branch manager"

Former Employee - Branh Manager
    Former Employee - Branh Manager

I worked at GardaWorld full-time

Pros

Company allows you to create and mold your own cultural environment and run a branch as if it were your own business

Cons

Long hours, need to be available 24/7. Many, many reports to fill out. Too many daily tasks to get done is a reasonable work day. The better you perform, the more they want . A thankless career.

Advice to Management

Need to raise prices on customers so management can still operate while maintaining budgets with more employees. More employees needed to spread out tasks. Management would then not be overworked and employee retention
     in general would be far greater. Management could focus on managing and not inundated with handling every issue with the branch. These tasks range administrative and training to discipline, etc... while trying to manage. Extremely difficult and stressful.

10. "Cash Teller"

I worked at GardaWorld full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great location, safe work environment.

Cons

No windows in building so office felt gloomy. Very repetitive work.