GardaWorld Reviews | Glassdoor

GardaWorld Reviews

Updated October 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The pay is decent but not worth what we go through (see cons) (in 16 reviews)

• Good pay, good people, state of the art building (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, need to be available 24/7 (in 25 reviews)

• work/life balance is difficult, would not recommend if you value your health and sanity (in 10 reviews)

1. "Contract Admin"

Current Employee - Contract Administrator in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Contract Administrator in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at GardaWorld full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can gain the work experiences and move on the a company where you can put it to use.

Cons

Management is running the company into the ground.

Advice to Management

There is no advancement it all about how much kissing you willing to do.

2. "Stay Away"

Current Employee - Armored Driver/Guard in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Armored Driver/Guard in Boston, MA

I have been working at GardaWorld full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your coworkers, learning your way around the state.

Cons

Management is thoroughly out of touch, blinded by the bonus checks at the end of the tunnel.

Poor pay, like pulling teeth to get what is owed.

Advice to Management

Clean house.

3. "Awesome but sometimes not"

I have been working at GardaWorld full-time

Pros

40 h/per week pay guaranteed, holiday pay, easy to get OT

Cons

First 180 days damaging the truck = fired, can get over heated, and it is cash service so danger of theft/mugging

Advice to Management

A/c please, a working union for truck maintenece, and double sided buildings for easier access with the trucks (both sides of building having an entry /exit )

4. "It's a Job"

Former Employee - Branch Supervisor in Roseburg, OR
    Former Employee - Branch Supervisor in Roseburg, OR

I worked at GardaWorld full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros for GardaWorld, for me as a Supervisor, varied day-by-day. The majority of the work is very tedious and repetitive; however, you get to work outside of a building and you get to see smiling faces and work with the same customers everyday, that is assuming you are assigned to the same route everyday.

While you are at work you get to enjoy your exercise, especially when you are the messenger on a truck. You will be challenged everyday to lift heavy bags of money, bags of coin, and boxes of coin which certainly help you get your work out and, if you are counting, you will get your steps in, too.

When you are out and about you are somewhat charged with managing yourself. As a Supervisor, I was responsible for managing the entire route system in a particular city; however, if you are just a messenger or driver, you are pretty much left to your own and allowed to do whatever is necessary to get the job done, within reason.

A plus, for me, is that kids love seeing the big armored trucks and they love waving at you and saying "Hi". I love kids so this is a plus, for me.

Cons

The location I worked out of has a lot of immature people who love to talk behind each other's backs, including the managers, as well as a lot of drama queens. If you were not a part of the "clique", they all banded against you and had nothing positive to say about you which is super unfortunate because that is how GardaWorld, especially this branch, looses it's employees and it is one of the top reasons current employees are seeking a different job.

The management team was excellent until we took over another branch in April. Since that transition, neither of the managers get along with each other. They are constantly throwing each other on the bus and neither of them take responsibility for anything they do. One of the managers will tell you anything you want to hear, such as time off requests being approved, and then at the last minute he will tell you he couldn't do it and tell you to "deal with it".

The vehicles we had, when I first started, were terrible. They upgraded us to a brand new 2017 fleet which was extremely nice; however, the driver and messenger are not allowed to be near each other anymore which, for some people is great and for others is bad. With that being said; however, messengers will generally sit up front with the driver on a rigid plastic tub as the front has only one seat, with a seat belt, and that is the driver's. One of our "new" vehicles had 600,000+ miles on it and whenever they used it the air conditioning would not work. The recommendation they received, from management, when it was 110 degrees outside, was "drink a lot of water"... that's it.

Oh, and while talking about vehicles, GardaWorld does not pay their maintenance bills so the places that actually did work on the vehicles and got things repaired refuse to service their vehicles anymore so the vehicles are taken to a shop that claims they fix things but... it shouldn't take 18 trips to the mechanic to fix a seat belt... just my opinion.

Also, if you are hoping GardaWorld fulfills their statement on you only have to supply your own fire arm and boots, you're fooling yourself. They claim they will supply everything else but they don't. I have seen new employees be supplied with shirts and that's it. I was supplied with body armor... that expired in 2007... seems safe. One of my co-workers had body armor that literally fell apart in his vest carrier. If you get offered a job here, expect to buy your own holster, your own uniforms and clothing, your own boots, and anything else you want to use (ahem: armor).

You will also get to meet a lot of wonderful customers who absolutely despise Garda. They are so friendly and are not rude, at all. They treat you like a second-class citizen and sometimes straight up tell you you're stupid because you didn't deliver that box of quarters that was never loaded onto your truck because they (the customer) never ordered it. This is a customer service job, folks, just like answering calls in a call center.

Advice to Management

Ha. Ha. Ha. They don't listen, by the way.

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at GardaWorld full-time

Pros

They are always hiring because of turnover.

Cons

Management is cold as ice. They do not care about their employees at all. Benefits are horrible. Communication to employees is non existent.

Advice to Management

Realize the importance of your employees. Be friendly. Be kind. Be personable. Understand that employees have families and responsibilities, especially during a hurricane.

"WORST COMPANY TO WORK FOR"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at GardaWorld full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None they pay less than competitors and make you provide everything other than the shirt and pants.

Cons

this company goes out of its way to not do the right thing for their employees they cant even handle paying their bills with hundreds of thousands of dollars from numerous vendors past due my advice for anyone dealing with them is run.

Advice to Management

Pay your bills and be decent human beings

"Worst Company I have ever worked for by far!"

I worked at GardaWorld full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There aren't any. Management thinks they know everything but they don't have a clue.

Cons

Too long to list. I would be typing here all day. They company was taken over by a Canadian Company about six years ago and it went straight downhill from there. Unethical culture and a demotivated staff.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat people with respect and stop trying to think up ways to stick it to your employees. Since you cut out every single benefit it might be nice to give some back.

"Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Coin Operations in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Coin Operations in Edison, NJ

I worked at GardaWorld full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not really any pros to be fair.

Cons

Poor Management, faulty equipment for (Coin Operations), long days, very rude towards one another, except Thurman of Edison NJ. Oh and benefits are expensive follow by companies union which drains your hard earn money. Best of luck if you get this job, you will need it.

Advice to Management

Update your equipment and stop being cheap, also make room for the people who actually should be management and shouldn't.

"Branch manager"

Former Employee - Branh Manager
    Former Employee - Branh Manager

I worked at GardaWorld full-time

Pros

Company allows you to create and mold your own cultural environment and run a branch as if it were your own business

Cons

Long hours, need to be available 24/7. Many, many reports to fill out. Too many daily tasks to get done is a reasonable work day. The better you perform, the more they want . A thankless career.

Advice to Management

Need to raise prices on customers so management can still operate while maintaining budgets with more employees. More employees needed to spread out tasks. Management would then not be overworked and employee retention
     in general would be far greater. Management could focus on managing and not inundated with handling every issue with the branch. These tasks range administrative and training to discipline, etc... while trying to manage. Extremely difficult and stressful.

10. "Cash Teller"

I worked at GardaWorld full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great location, safe work environment.

Cons

No windows in building so office felt gloomy. Very repetitive work.