Garden Grove USD Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Teacher @ GGUSD"

Pros

Lots support for teachers. Unified district. Strong teachers association. Many (paid) professional development opportunities.

Cons

Sometimes, the required instructional model focuses on low level critical thinking skills, low cognitive engagement.

Advice to Management

Embed building strong habits of mind into the school and district culture. Must be explicitly taught and universally implemented.

2. "custodian"

Former Employee - Custodian in Apple Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Custodian in Apple Valley, CA

I worked at Garden Grove USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoyed my work and the people I worked with

Cons

They started to put more work on custodians and getting rid of part time custodians

3. "Great USD"

Pros

great support from the management. There are room for advancement. Good schools and quality teaching.

Cons

could add more assistants and staff

Advice to Management

it would be nice to include more training and workshops.

5. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Technology Assistant in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Technology Assistant in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Garden Grove USD part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere and great staff. The employer is financially stable which has made my job secured.

Cons

Part time at only 3.5 hrs a day. Could use more hours.

6. "CLW"

Current Employee - CLW in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - CLW in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Garden Grove USD part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good place to work at GGUSD

Cons

Limit of full time jobs for Community Liaison Workers

Advice to Management

Give more full time job to workers

"Technology Assistant I"

Current Employee - Technology Assistant I
    Current Employee - Technology Assistant I

Pros

The school faculty and kids are great. The hours are flexible and there is little pressure from management.

Cons

The hours assigned to the majority of the staff is 3.5 hours a day so that the district doesn't have to pay benefits. It is also extremely annoying to see them budget thousands and thousands of our tax dollars on unused equipment or to see 4-6 staff members "teach" a class of 10 special education students. What ends up happening in those classes is that the 4-6 staff members just gossip all day. There are other faculty members whose jobs are simply redundant.

There is also almost zero hope of advancement. It's a dead end position.

Advice to Management

Train your staff. There is too much support staff that sits around and gossips all day. There are members of the staff that receive little to no training and are thrown into a school and expected to do a job...that someone else is already doing. 3.5 hours a day for the majority of the staff is really depressing. Cut some of the staff and make the important members full time as well.

"Not fare for everyone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CA

Pros

Someone had it in for me, and that person set out to destroy my present employment, my future employment, my financial situation, and my reputation. They have impacted my family and other personal matters. I made the mistake of telling one teacher in conversation where I worked out and she so happens to have family there and she managed to go after my reputation at the gym. I ended up complaining to the highest management and told them the real story. The last thing that I ever want to do is explain my personal matters but I was forced to. These people have a support system and they are going after me. Who do I have? It's a sick world and I hope you realize that your involved in what they are doing. Certain people, won't be happy until I can't feed my family and I'm on the street.

Opportunities for advancement are designed to be fare, unless someone has changed there mind. Then all of a sudden you are unqualified.

Furthermore, I'd be happy to take a lie detector test or see a professional to help clarify that I am not lying and I wouldn't do to anyone what has been done to me. BRAVO.

Cons

Cons out weigh the pros.

Advice to Management

Just Stop

9. "Great place to work"

Pros

District centralized and allows teachers to be successful in the classroom. Good use of technology and money within the district to keep up with the times.

Cons

There could be more emphasis on improving the quality of athletic facilities district wide so that we are up to par with other nearby districts.

"Excellent salary but you will not get any help from anyone"

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School

I have been working at Garden Grove USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The salary and benefits cannot be beat BUT depending on your worksite you will work harder than you ever have anywhere else.

Cons

Incompetent administrators are left in place year after year. Facilities range from okay to major dumps. Little appreciation for hard work or excellence.

Advice to Management

Start appreciating the many, many excellent employees that you are lucky to have. Truly allow more teacher input into policies we have to adhere to. Carefully read the results of your employee surveys and consider the comments. Not everything is perfect in GGUSDland.

"i wish I had taken one of the other job offers I received!"

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Garden Grove USD full-time

Pros

Rewarding to truly make a difference in the lives of disadvantaged kids. The teachers are extremely hardworking.

Cons

Ridiculously hard work with an administration that doesn't know what they're doing. Teachers are micro-managed to the hilt by an upper admin that doesn't know a thing about child development. They constantly micromanage us and change our curriculum every year without ever giving us a chance to get truly proficient at teaching it. And what's worse, NO AIR CONDITIONING!!!! Absolutely horrible working conditions, you sweat through all of your clothes, and I had four pairs of shoes break last year because of the glue melting off of them.

Advice to Management

Upper admin should trade with the teachers for a week during the hottest time of the year. We would like to see them try to teach constantly changing curriculum to 26 little kids in a 100° classroom. STOP changing and adding useless bits into our curriculum (BTBF, Number Talks, UCI math, and so many more). Allow the professionals to do what we've been trained to do. If you're bored, come lend a hand, we could use it. And Spanish inclusion classes, are you kidding me??? We don't live in Mexico! Let's teach these kids (and parents!) what they need to be fruitful members of our society.