Garden State Growers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Roy den Hollander

1. "It was hard to do quality work as management did not supply the necessary resources."

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Pittstown, NJ
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Pittstown, NJ

Pros

The pay is slightly above the industry norm, with a fair benefits package. Merchandisers are given autonomy and may act on their own accord.

Cons

Excessive hours were required. Six days a week, with an average of 50 plus hours worked. I do not mind working, but much of it was working for works sake. The biggest problem at GSG is there is no strong management. Product was not ready at the correct time as well as deliveries being made late.

"No future for this company - DO NOT work here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittstown, NJ

I worked at Garden State Growers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are guaranteed ONE day off per week. The view of the greenhouses when the product is flowering is spectacular.

Cons

Management is more concerned with office politics than effective business strategy. Poor decisions have put this company is a bad situation. Owned by two brothers who can't get along - they both try to run the company differently, leaving employees confused and frustrated. The company culture is very unusual and often toxic. There is a history of physical violence at the facility. Look elsewhere for employment.

Advice to Management

They glory days are over, boys

"Disastrous"

Former Employee - Shoprite Secrion Manager in Franklin, NJ
    Former Employee - Shoprite Secrion Manager in Franklin, NJ

I worked at Garden State Growers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people were very nice and tried to encourage me in my job . The HR person was nice and showed me were the bathroom was and how to work the copier machine .

Cons

I moved across the country for a job that lasted only several months before being let go . My leader who was the owner did not meet wth me onetime . By the way I reported to him .

Advice to Management

Change all the propaganda on your web site your the further away than you think from Starbucks model of Servant Leadership. Your selfish , treat people with honor .

"Maintenance Mechanic (Chemical Engineer, career on hold)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittstown, NJ

Pros

None. GSG's only benefit is to see the wonderful colors that plants can create. If you like plants it is very interesting to see their growth progress.

Cons

Everything! Works employees with less than minimum wages (they call it a farm). They do whatever they want with no regard for laws. Their attitude is "Screw everyone but the den Hollanders, we do whatever we want to!" Advancement is only possible if you kiss Roy's derriere. He will fire you if you if he feels like it with no reason. Their religion and its practices are forced on employees. No radios with music on, not even xmas carols played low and quietly. If you are discovered Roy will take your radio and keep it. No chances for advancement. Was hired at a low wage rate (economic needs) and was never given a raise in 5 years despite being the best maintenance person they had. Other went longer before being given trivial raises. Roy feels he knows everything the best but his most often displays ignorance about flowers and greenhouse operations and sales. His most ignorant trait is in working and dealing with people. Roy is always right, whether it be the color of the sky outside, the operation of a rocket ship.or anything else. Has been involved with personnel despite his puritanical preaching to others about sins.

Advice to Management

If you want to be successful, LEARN HOW TO WORK WITH AND MANAGE PEOPLE! You will benefit so much with this. No, especially Roy, you are not God's gift to the world. Stop being a hypocrite and learn to be respectful of your workers. You will reap the benefits ten-fold. You have the worst working conditions, especially health, or any place I have worked. I have worked under some bad conditions while on assignment and contracts but GSG is the worst. Roy your lack of personal safety has left me with a debilitating and painful back. Don't worry it is beyond surgery, you won't have to pay for an operations. Roy, may the dogs relieve themselves on your grave.

"Family Run Business"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittstown, NJ

I worked at Garden State Growers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small group of management that runs the day to day. Friendly close knit group.

Cons

Family controls all and ultimate decisions.

Advice to Management

Let people know that they are expected to work six days a week 14 hours a day.

7. "Strange and mysterious work culture."

Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Pittstown, NJ
    Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Pittstown, NJ

I worked at Garden State Growers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seeing the greenhouses full of amazing flowers. Learning about the flower business.

Cons

Whether you are working in the small office which is extremely cliquey and incestuous or outside in the "field" merchandizing be prepared to have no direction at all. Very little training and poor working conditions. They don't give a damn about anyone who isn't related or isn't upper management. Extremely high turnover rate. They are also extremely disliked by the community. Have had multiple law suits against them.

Advice to Management

Since it's a family owned and operated company there is nothing that can be said to change this environment.

8. "Don't even waste your time, unless you're a mind reader..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittstown, NJ

I worked at Garden State Growers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people you work with are nice, and actually do their jobs.
    Bonus at the end of the year (if sales go well).
    Turkey or Ham given out at Thanksgiving.
    Brand new state-of-the-art kitchen!
    Free coffee.

Cons

Where to begin? Well, for starters the computer system they have is absolutely awful. It is inefficient and complicated. You have to click in 6 different screens just to find one tiny bit of information, that may or may not be accurate. There is a serious lack in communication with this entire company. All of the information is second hand, and you are constantly scrambling to get things done. You will only be successful that this job if you are telepathic. The sales team and the production team don't communicate with one another, and everything is dumped unto the shoulders of the shipping department. This place is chaotic every day, because this company is so disorganized. Expect to work very long hours, and six days a week. This place is technically considered a "farm," so the over time is not time and a half, its just the hourly rate for however many hours you work that day, and the benefits are really expensive.

Advice to Management

Share the information you discuss in meetings with the people in other departments.
    Develop a standard operating procedure and learn ways to improve efficiency.
    Acquire software that is less complicated and has more flexibility.
    Hire people to perform data entry to ensure that the information in computer system is accurate.

9. "Sales"

Pros

Such an amazing opportunity. I have just recently started and even though I do not have a plant background the training has been amazing. I am grateful for this blessing

Cons

No cons at all. So far everything has been perfect. The hours are flexible which is amazing. Management is great.

Advice to Management

Everything is great

10. "An honest review"

Pros

Zero pros to list - Please don't work here.

Cons

I am writing this review, not to slander this company but to save other people from subjecting themselves to the dysfunction and unprofessional work environment which thrive at Garden State Growers. The Owner of this company discriminates against women, has been physically aggressive towards employees and thrives on creating chaos within the establishment. The employees are completely disregarded, they work years without raises, are expected to work 10+ hours 6 days a week without overtime pay or any compensation and their well being is the lowest priority, if at all.
    The last two reviews were written by Management to try and lure people into working as they are losing long time employees daily and can't get anyone to replace them. Garden State Growers is a mentally unhealthy place to work. I hope I have saved someone the anguish of being exposed to what this company does to it's employees and how poorly it runs.

Advice to Management

Value humans

11. "I've never been offered more at any other job."

I have been working at Garden State Growers full-time

Pros

Unlike many of the other reviews, I do not know where to begin with the pros to this business. Knowing that I am guaranteed one day off a week is a huge relief and blessing. I also have never worked at a job that offered such wonderful benefits and they are totally affordable. The hours are extremely flexible. Absolutely everyone gets along, and I love the relationship that the office has with the maintenance crew, and the labor workers. I am also guaranteed two half hour breaks. I have been welcomed and brought on board in such a wonderful environment, I could not be more thankful for my job at GSG.

Cons

The only con I can think of is I can't wear shoes I don't want dirty. The dirt travels everywhere, but I am working with plants.