Gardewine North Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Dennis Clarke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Stay away!"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Brandon, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Brandon, MB (Canada)

I worked at Gardewine North full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brandon dispatchers were very good, 1 in Winnipeg was too. Had regular shifts, daytrips not long haul. Pay slips were easy to read and check for errors.

Cons

Lots of lies by managers, and no respect. Trucks are often filthy, and drivers are expected to clean other people's filth on their own time and with their own supplies. Equipment of all kinds in rough shape, trailer doors don't fit right, frames rotting from metal fatigue, reefers and heaters that won't function and they get loaded anyway. Repairs seem to be nickle and dimed. Paychecks have alot of mistakes, conveniently in the companies favor. I had a driver assault me and management did nothing about it. When I was hired, I was put on the road hauling turnpikes for three months before I was was given proper training and a licence!

Advice to Management

Learn to value drivers, and treat them with respect. Find out the facts before you point fingers, and remember that just because someone works for you that doesn't make them your scapegoat.

2. "A busy company with lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Gardewine North full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers
    Very busy, lots of work
    Pay is fair for the work I'm doing
    Company offered to reimburse me for going to school
    People work as a team and are very helpful

Cons

Safety is an ongoing issue, though it is improving
    Keeping equipment in good shape is a challenge

Advice to Management

Spend more on keeping trucks and equipment in good shape
    Invest in updating IT systems

3. "A Good Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Semi - Driver: Local/City in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Semi - Driver: Local/City in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Pros

Good wages and profit sharing.
    Benefits
    Good team atmosphere, very helpful people.
    Flexible schedules and good runs. Almost never work weekends, home every night.
     If you're a hard worker, i think you'll be treated well.

Cons

Safety can be a big issue for this company.
    Equipment ( the trucks and trailers) is in a poor state for the local/short haul drivers
    Miscommunication between departments is common resulting in lost time
    Very much the "old boys club". Seniority is king here and things change VERY slowly

Advice to Management

Please pay attention to the cause and effect when things go wrong. Simply doing the same thing over and over will not fix it. People get hurt, quit or otherwise loose their jobs for that kind of thing.

"Very bad, keep away"

Former Employee - Former Super B Deck Division Driver in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Pros

During "training" which consists of going over the same things you did from your last job.
    They fly you to Winnipeg "head office" pay for an evening meal (no alcohol, which is a good thing) and hotel a few minutes from the yard,pay for the taxi to and from the yard.

Cons

Where do I start, long, VERY long hours, do not pay FULL compensation for hours worked. Continuous resets in the truck, very little to no home time.
    Very poor communication between management. very little truck / trailer repairs. No real training to speak of. Trucks are not detailed before they assign you one, you have to do that yourself while on the highway.
    That is BEFORE you leave the yard.
    The list goes on.

Advice to Management

Quit, let someone else who knows what they are doing take the reins.

5. "truth of the matter"

Pros

Cheque is deposited in a timely manner

Cons

Trucks are generally lacking in maintenance. I am scheduled to take a load tonight,its 35C here in Thunder Bay and my assigned truck nor none of the other 12 or so trucks in the lineup have working air conditioning. Typical as management are not concerned about the general well being of their drivers. Come winter the battle to get heaters working starts.

6. "They Won't deliver"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)

I worked at Gardewine North full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When the delivery truck does show up, they guys are almost always cheerful and happy to help out- the problem doesn't seem to be with them.

Cons

I pay overnight shipping on important product from Toronto to Thunder Bay, and every single time they dump it In the warehouse and forget about it. They will not load it into their truck and attempt delivery without a phone call. We order large shipments with multiple jobs going on at once so keeping track of what's here or there can be very difficult. I've looked like a fool many times calling our supplier wondering why it hasn't shipped out when its actually been at Gardewines warehouse for a week! where it really becomes frustrating is they move it in the corner...the corner where no one else looks, so I'll phone to see what's there for pickup (because they can't deliver?) and they won't be able to find it! Numerous times I've been there for a pickup and I spot other undelivered items of ours laying in piles at random. This has to stop guys!

Advice to Management

you are in the business to deliver, make it priority to do so! I will give the business to another company shortly if it doesn't get resolved. I am in management myself and realize how busy things get, but as a manager you need to get your hands dirty and see what is actually going on in the shop/office/warehouse etc.

"Garde WHINE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at Gardewine North full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting new people...getting physically fit if you work the afternoon shift

Cons

Beware...if you are not part of the HIGH FIVE group...better watch your back. All they care about are numbers and profit. They don't care about safety...as many injuries are neck and back related.
    Also the have a policy on certain things...but not work place violence. As many people have been physically threatened/injured or even fights on docks. Even being thrown into a garbage bin! But they turn the other cheek as it's not a problem to them...as it doesn't effect their numbers.
    Many of their dock plates are not working properly which are one of the MAIN reasons for work place injury.
    The equipment is not maintained properly.
    Appliances are frequently dropped and they expect alot for nothing. Why don't they have safer equipment for appliances rather than have a person use a wheeler/dolly to pull/push 2 appliances stacked on top of each other. While other companies use APPLIANCE related forklifts to lift and drop double stacked appliances more safer.
    A nice call to workplace safety could easily resolve that.

"Too Corporate"

Current Employee - Straight Truck Driver in Sault Ste. Marie, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Straight Truck Driver in Sault Ste. Marie, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Gardewine North full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

profit sharing is ok, you can meet lots of people, I'm sorry but that's all of the pros I can think of at the moment because there aren't any.

Cons

Very little training, poor communication, lots of customers are unhappy with the sevice. Gardewine does not care about the customers only the bottom line and the numbers...too corporate. they will cut your throat no matter what

Advice to Management

Learn about your employees and take time to care. Your company is going down the tubes fast.

"wonderful experience overall"

Current Employee - Data Entry
    Current Employee - Data Entry

I have been working at Gardewine North part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment and the work culture are the two best reasons to work for this company.
    If you are someone who likes to work in a pleasant and light environment and have some fun while doing work, this is the right place to work. people are cooperative and helpful.

Cons

One has to be really fast-paced, active, multi-tasker and energetic if you have to do jobs like manifesting, billing, etc, which can lead to stress. This can be overcome with time and practice.

Advice to Management

no special advice.. just continue the way you are doing and the company will definetely be more succesful in the future.

10. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Foreman
    Current Employee - Foreman

Pros

employee focused company, good benefits and decent retirement plan. Pay rate in the upper end of the scale for type of work. Equipment is kept in good shape. Great people to with and for, an honest and serious open door policy , as well as close attention to most employee input.

Cons

Home/ work life balance tends to lean more toward work. Training is sparse except in where required by law. Job descriptions vague and liable to change without notice.

Advice to Management

Weakest points are training and communication. Training is promised but often left until there is an issue or a situation. A lack of clear communication and often opposing directives make difficult decisions harder to make and less likely to have a satisfactory outcome for all parties involved.