Garland Independent School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 9, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Garland Independent School District Superintendent of Schools Curtis Culwell, Ed.D.
Curtis Culwell, Ed.D.

Pros
  • You will work with hard working professionals and staff (in 2 reviews)

• Morale is high at many schools I visit (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • There were no cons to working for GISD (in 3 reviews)

• As a younger teacher, I am often asked to take on extra responsibilities on top of the MASSIVE amount of work I already have to do (in 2 reviews)

1. "Math Instructor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

I have been working at Garland Independent School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of great co-worker

Cons

There really are no cons.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation to employees.

2. "Love"

I worked at Garland Independent School District full-time

Pros

Nice,clean schools, friendly staff...good hours to work...knowledge is key

Cons

To far from metroplex..I live in Fort worth

3. "Educator"

I have been working at Garland Independent School District full-time

Pros

Fellow colleagues and students are great to work with

Cons

Top administration is currently in flux but will get better soon

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on progress we are headed in the right direction

5. "Teacher"

I worked at Garland Independent School District full-time

Pros

GISD was a great school district to work for, although depending on which campus you work at than could change very quickly.

Cons

Some campuses are dropping the ball in the quality of service to students : ie. yelling and shouting at students to improve behavior, unprofessional teachers, and lack of unilateral behavior policies across campuses.

Advice to Management

Focus on becoming more progressive with pbis without creating more meaningless mandatory meetings for faculty.

6. "A Diverse and Welcoming Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

Pros

There is a big push to integrate technology in everyday learning. District provided each student and teacher an Ipad which facilitated learning.

Cons

Discretionary leave is still subject to approval

7. "Special Education"

Current Employee - ALE Teacher Middle School
    Current Employee - ALE Teacher Middle School

Pros

Supportive staff and director. The students are a joy to work with. Grading is easy once you understand your students and the rubrics.

Cons

There are several different softwares to learn, time and efficiency are lacking. In additions to teaching and planning there are several trainings and professional development mandatory meetings.

8. "SCHOOL NURSES ROCK AT GISD"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Garland Independent School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

LOTS OF SUPPORT, MENTORS FOR NEW NURSES, SUPPORTIVE ADMINISTRATORS. THE SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT IS JUST AS AMAZING. THE STAFF SUPPORTS EACH OTHER AS WELL AS THE KIDS. MY PRINCIPALS ARE THERE FOR US ALL.
    OBVIOUS PROS-ALL SCHOOL HOLIDAYS, OFF FOR THE SUMMER. PAY IS SPREAD OVER 12 MONTHS, SO IF YOU PICK UP PRN WORK, YOU CAN ADD TO YOUR SALARY.

Cons

The cleaning staff could do a lot better.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, I feel the management cares of the staff as well as the students and have their best interests.

"A substitute teacher's point of view"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Garland, TX

I have been working at Garland Independent School District (More than 10 years)

Pros

Morale is high at many schools I visit. Many teachers I've met are dedicated, caring professionals who work hard every day to help students learn.

Cons

* Difficult classes, with no recourse for severe disruptions during the day. There are no office referral forms anymore, and in some cases it's the problem students who are being rewarded when they finally decide to behave.
    * We can't use the district health clinic. Some of us have been with the district for many years.
    * Health benefits are prohibitively expensive.
    * Too many school staffs automatically assume that I'm the problem if a class or student is misbehaving in the hall. "Tsk, tsk" and "You just need to be firm with them," don't work with students that outright told me they "only act like this with substitutes." There is very little we can do with problem students or classes.
    * I started last year on a long-term assignment. It would have been nice to be paid for the two weeks I spent at school before the first day, preparing materials and setting up the classroom. Staff at the school mentioned it, but I got no response when I asked about it. I also did parent-teacher conferences and stayed late for school functions, also without pay. (I felt that I should have at least been paid for the morning when students were off but I and the regular teachers did conferences, as a typical half-day assignment.)
    * Too many times, on long-term assignments, necessary materials were unavailable. During vacancy assignments, the other teachers were unwilling to help, even after being reminded that (a) the assistant principal said they should be giving me a scope and sequence, and (b) substitute teachers don't have access to the GISD staff area.
    * I don't like the unwelcoming atmosphere from some of the schools I go to, whether it's dirty looks from office staff, or being completely ignored by the principal, or sighs from teachers. I don't ask to be treated like royalty, but a smile and a greeting aren't too much to ask. I've stopped going to schools that consistently treat me like an idiot or an invader.
    * There are no opportunities for advancement or growth. Especially, I think GISD could do more to work with us to obtain teacher certification.
    * There is no way for substitutes to address issues with schools and classes. AESOP has the functionality for teachers and schools to leave feedback about substitutes, and vice versa. I don't understand why GISD won't let substitutes leave feedback about assignments, unless there's a concern that other substitutes won't want to take problem classes. But then again, we have a right to know what we're getting ourselves into.

Advice to Management

Please, treat substitute teachers as important members of the organization. It would also be nice if veteran substitute teachers were allowed to use the district health clinic. Even taking this out of our pay would be worth it to me. Remind your principals that substitute teachers have an important role, and encourage them to be more welcoming. Acknowledge those of us who go above and beyond.

10. "Could be worse"

Pros

It's gotten more rough the last few years with so many administrative changes, but the pay is decent.

Cons

So many administrative changes every year. A lot of disenfranchisement.

Advice to Management

Stop feeling the need to change everything every year. Give everyone a chance to breathe and actually use the techniques you teach us to use.

11. "Teaching in Garland ISD"

Pros

Great collaboration among other teachers. Wonderful staff and budget.

Cons

Very disruptive, verbally abusive, and combative students. Very little discipline support from upper management. Referrals would take days-weeks before they were dealt with. V

Advice to Management

Follow through on discipline referrals, find a better system for dealing with discipline incidents promptly, and be more proactive about removing/expelling violent and chronically disruptive/verbally abusive students from the school.