Garmin Reviews in Oregon | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Compnay"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Salem, OR

I worked at Garmin (Less than a year)

Pros

-Incredibly smart people
    -Great work/life balance
    -Fantastic work environment

Cons

- Wish the building was closer to Portland

"Software Engineer 2"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyable team atmosphere - everyone is fairly laid back. Challenging and interesting embedded software development with a lot of testing and validation to meet DO-178 requirements. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Pay scale is a little on low end, but somewhat made up for with a decent benefits package. There is not a lot of turnover, so while you may advance in your career path based on title and pay rate, there aren't a lot of ways to make significant jumps into different roles.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage. Sometimes feels like Oregon office is viewed as red-headed stepchild vs. Olathe.

3. "To quote Gershwin: Nice Work If You Can Get It"

Former Contractor - Electronic Assembler in Salem, OR
    Former Contractor - Electronic Assembler in Salem, OR

I worked at Garmin as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by pleasant, mostly rational people on the manufacturing floor; clean, safe, well-organized and well-lit work environment; exposure to many interesting aspects of manual and SMT assembly; support staff very helpful; good worker autonomy; generally a very healthy work environment. Conspicuous absence of reactionary, punitive attitude toward trainee fallibility that's frequently observed in less sophisticated workplaces.

Cons

Sporadic nepotism; likelihood of being rolled over from temp to hire largely related to age of applicant and/or familial relationship with management. Some territorial hostility among low-level workers, albeit infrequent and usually not disruptive. Overall rating of "3" is a rough average, varying substantially in proportion to employee demographics.

Advice to Management

When older temps are classified as 'expendable no-hire only,' how about disclosing it directly at the outset, or at least with a decent interval before giving them the old heave-ho? There are no enforceable laws that preclude this, and it's always easier to find another job from a 'currently employed' status.

Passing "throwaways" over for multiple hiring cycles while accepting mostly younger workers with approximately equal (or in some cases less) proficiency, less seniority and occasional extracurricular collusion is not a nice way to communicate management intentions.

4. "Systems Engineer"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Salem, OR
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Salem, OR

I worked at Garmin as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Work environment, company culture, workload, high quality products, great people, and much more.

Cons

None found after completion internship.

5. "We are still in the new hire phase, but I love what I see so far."

Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts on garmin products, various retailers (too many to name), great work environment, people are really friendly

Cons

I haven't run into any cons yet, though I can assume dealing with irate customers is one.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

6. "Garmin has lots of perks besides a competitive hourly wage."

Current Employee - Product Support Helpdesk in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Product Support Helpdesk in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pension, 401k, ESPP, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short/Long Term Disability, and PTO.

Cons

No career advancement opportunity, no schedule variation, and no separate sick time.

Advice to Management

Be more available

"Motivated/Career minded individuals look elsewhere"

Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, decent benefits, Salem location has brand new building with basketball court and volleyball. Great co-workers that become good friends outside of work as well. $250 Christmas bonus.

Cons

Garmin doesn't care about the people working Product Support and even worse if you work outside of Kansas. There rarely any growth opportunities and when a promotion job does pop up they always go to people in KS, no mater the qualification of person in Salem. This has created a bad work culture in Salem that gets more ugly every day. The biggest topic among co-workers is how badly they want to leave.

On top of this, the yearly wage increase doesn't support the top performers that go the extra mile for Garmin.The max possible wage increase is 5% and rarely anyone gets that. What's bad is you can kill yourself working really hard all year being top 5 performer and get 4% raise or just slack off and do avg to below avg work and get 3% raise. Why would anyone try hard for extra 8 cents per hour vs their lazy co-worker? Maybe for a possible promotion right? but that not happening if you work in Salem.

Garmin loves taking advantage of top performers but won't compensate them and will pass on them for that promotion if they don't live in KS. If your not motivated/career minded then Product Support might be ok for you. If you live in KS then might be ok for career growth but sill not great.

Advice to Management

Show you care about your top performers that truly go extra mile. Focus on building more growth opportunities for people in Salem. Its hilarious that KS management wonders why turn over is higher in Salem.

"Design Engineer Intern"

Former Employee - Design Engineer Intern in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Design Engineer Intern in Salem, OR

Pros

Atmosphere. Cool projects and great people. I really loved working here, and I will probably apply when I gradulate. more words

Cons

Fluff. I just wanted to work on my projects, but every time I turned around there was another internship touchy feely thing I was asked to participate in. Also, Salem.

Advice to Management

I think a lot of the intern activities were lame and unnecessary. The projects were a lot of fun, and any time taken from working on them for team building felt childish.

9. "Contact Center"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment, no stress and fairly laid-back attitudes from management. Expectations are low and as long as you show up on time not much else is expected of you. If you're someone that will take advantage of that, it's great for you I guess. If not, the laziness and poor work quality of others and lack of anything done about it will drive you crazy.

Cons

No real structure, management can do anything and get away with everything. Too laidback to keep things professional and cohesive.

Advice to Management

It is obvious there is no quality assurance regarding Sups work and behavior. Corporate should really be ensuring expectations are set and met for Sups

"Wonderful workplace"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are great and there is no shortage of challenging work to be had. Managers and senior engineers work side by side with even new hires from day one making it a very comfortable workplace.

Cons

Being in the aviation department can be tiresome after a time because of all the regulations and red tape involved. I find myself fighting vaguely worded FAA documents as much as normal work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the personal relationships you already have with employees. It really makes a difference.