Garmin Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Product Support - A resting place for your career"

Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most shifts have weekends off.
    Very affordable health plans.
    Tuition assistance for a good variety of classes.
    You will be assigned new devices and are encouraged to use them.

Cons

Some things I wish I had known before I started:

Very few people leave the call center for professional jobs at Garmin headquarters. Maybe a few out of the several hundred of us every year due to a severe lack of opportunities and unwillingness to offer any training that might help further your career.
    Your time and performance at the call center will mean nothing when applying for internal jobs at headquarters. They are not even sure what we do and you will have to explain yourself as if you came in off the street when you interview with them.
    If you have a good year expect about a 3% raise.
    Your starting pay will be very low in comparison to other large companies for similar positions.
    You will never be considered for management at the call center unless you leave and get management experience somewhere else, no matter how long you have worked there. Why do I say that? A prerequisite for the few management positions that come up is that you already have management experience from another call center. They really do not want to hire anyone in the company and set things up so that its virtually impossible.
    There is a workout room to give the appearance that Garmin cares about your health. This is actually a very unhealthy environment where you are forced to sit for long periods and can only walk as far as your phone cord reaches. It's ironic considering our largest department is for health and fitness devices.
    HR or hiring managers will not give you any type of feedback if you interview for a position and it's not offered to you.
    Customers can be very rude and unreasonable at times.
    If you do decide to work at the call center do yourself a huge favor and take advantage of tuition assistance. It should be part of your exit strategy for the call center.

Advice to Management

Annual cook outs do not replace good wages and real careers.

"Application Analyst"

Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working environment, good benefits and good place to work.

Cons

No flexible work hrs. Very flat hierarchy, hard to advance your career.

"Garmin hasn't come close to realizing it's potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Pros

Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with are at Garmin; there is incredible talent at this company for sure. Great 401K, health benefits and in a few departments a real camaraderie and chance for advancement - but not all of them. See below.

Cons

People are not considered the most valuable asset here. No real career paths into leadership were to be had in most parts of this company. Along with that, Garmin was rife with politics and, frankly, this will be it's undoing if not changed. The reality is that there is no real leadership and it's costing them a hell of a lot of money (no vision, no real engagement by CEO).

The company didn't seem to have the ability to see the world through any 'lens' other than that of engineering so most decisions around marketing and selling their products are made by engineers. This was (is) a really big problem for them - at least while I was there. The 'culture' was ultra-ultra conservative and it's costing them market share.

There were no performance incentives anywhere in the company and drove a 'show up and get paid' mentality in many parts of the organization.

Advice to Management

Garmin when I was there was very much like Apple in her hay-day; loads of cash and 'just good enough' performance of the different business units hid what by any measure was gross mismanagement of really important resources (both human and capital).

There was also significant misalignment from the CEO through VP and Directorate levels - all areas of the business - the worst being in the most important customer facing areas (MarComm, ITWeb and Sales).

For a company your size in market cap to not have incentive based programs for your employees is extraordinarily short-sighted, IMO. Most organizations now in consumer electronics have mature incentive and bonus programs rewarding employees for contributions to customer satisfaction.

I don't believe I've ever worked for a company with as much at stake, nor with as much promise. But until the issues above are addressed (likely through change of Sr. Leadership) Garmin will have a difficult time realizing it's potential.

"Healthy company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Life and work balance, 401k and great insurance benefits, and healthy environment and people are nice. Exciting headquarter expansion.

Cons

With heavy engineering driven history, Still somewhat conservative on decision making or market planning. Probably too many products can be confusing...

"Sr Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work is good and challanging

Cons

dont expect a lot of salary

"Cartography Technician"

Current Employee - Cartography Technician in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and amazing associate discounts

Cons

everything else, underpaid on the premise that the position is entry level and since the company decides to call the job by a different title they feel they can pay less, engineering based company that views cartographers as second rate employees and expendable, underappreciated in every aspect

Advice to Management

Appreciate what cartographers do for Garmin as a whole, the units created by Garmin are amazing but they would be worthless without the hard work of the cartographers who create the content that fills them.

"Good work-life balance"

Current Employee - Associate in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Associate in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Start off with three weeks of PTO, no separate sick time. Stock plan, Laid back workplace. No dress code. Flexible hours.

Cons

Projects are sometimes rushed far too fast to production. Advancement not always a possibility.

"Cartography Technician"

Current Employee - Cartography Technician in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, great benefits, cool company mentality.

Cons

Pay, no chances to move up.

"Senior"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Garmin (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working environment and big office.

Cons

Low salary , bad benifit for engineer

10. "Product Support"

Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in North Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in North Kansas City, MO

Pros

Great benefits, day time shifts and perks. Chance to work with new gps technology

Cons

No support for advancement, call center seems to be separate from the headquarter. Typical call center regulations

Advice to Management

Create an advancement program for entry level employee. Provide the call center employees with some of the same perks and programs that are available to the headquarter