Garmin Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Top talent requires top money"

Current Employee - Software Quality Analyst in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Software Quality Analyst in Olathe, KS

Pros

Cool projects, awesome people, and a laid-back culture. As long as you get your work done, your schedule is pretty flexible. 401k and stock options benefits are above average.

Cons

Pay is severely lacking. With a recent huge increase in the cost of family medical insurance coverage has taken a large bite out of overall compensation. I've seen quite a few people leave for greener pastures. Communication between teams/groups can be limited, if it exists at all. Too much work for such aggressive schedules, with little regard given to the effect such constraints have on quality.

Advice to Management

Stop favoring meeting target dates over delivering high quality. Garmin already pays under the industry standard. Increase our monetary compensation if you're going to reduce our benefits coverage. People will be willing to work the hours you demand if you compensate accordingly.

"Motivated/Career minded individuals look elsewhere"

Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, decent benefits, Salem location has brand new building with basketball court and volleyball. Great co-workers that become good friends outside of work as well. $250 Christmas bonus.

Cons

Garmin doesn't care about the people working Product Support and even worse if you work outside of Kansas. There rarely any growth opportunities and when a promotion job does pop up they always go to people in KS, no mater the qualification of person in Salem. This has created a bad work culture in Salem that gets more ugly every day. The biggest topic among co-workers is how badly they want to leave.

On top of this, the yearly wage increase doesn't support the top performers that go the extra mile for Garmin.The max possible wage increase is 5% and rarely anyone gets that. What's bad is you can kill yourself working really hard all year being top 5 performer and get 4% raise or just slack off and do avg to below avg work and get 3% raise. Why would anyone try hard for extra 8 cents per hour vs their lazy co-worker? Maybe for a possible promotion right? but that not happening if you work in Salem.

Garmin loves taking advantage of top performers but won't compensate them and will pass on them for that promotion if they don't live in KS. If your not motivated/career minded then Product Support might be ok for you. If you live in KS then might be ok for career growth but sill not great.

Advice to Management

Show you care about your top performers that truly go extra mile. Focus on building more growth opportunities for people in Salem. Its hilarious that KS management wonders why turn over is higher in Salem.

"Aviation Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time

Pros

The 401k match is pretty decent, although it requires a 5 year commitment. Very relaxed environment - I've never been asked or pressured to work more than 40 hours a week.

Cons

Health benefits used to be something to brag about, but not so much any more. I realize that most places are taking a hit after a certain nationwide healthcare enforcement has been put into effect, but don't go bragging about how you have really good healthcare when there are other companies clearly beating you.

The idea behind the products are great. The code that runs them, not so much. The software life cycle that takes place may have worked when the company was started 25 years ago, but it does NOT work well with the large code base that exists now. The products are managed by people that have been with the company since the beginning who believe that "this is how we've been doing things" is a good reason for not trying become better.

Since all aviation code must live up to FAA standards, all code must be tested in a way that satisfies the FAA. This can lead to nasty hand-waving in order to say that something is "tested" which in turn causes even worse code to be written.

Salary is maybe about average, although it's not to hard to find other jobs in the KC area with better base salaries and comparable benefits.

4. "Good place to work for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer 2A in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer 2A in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Garmin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice environment, good health insurance, interesting project.

Cons

To catch deadline, no work-life balance. Salary is lower.

"Love it."

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's not much to hate about working as an engineer at Garmin. The benefits are great, the hours are great, the offices are great, we're expanding like crazy on campus right now so there's a lot of exciting new things coming. I like the clear separation between work and fun. We don't have beer carts, we don't have goofy conference room names, etc. We work when we're here, and we work hard; however, we work 40 hours a week and get our stuff done. I have my fun when I'm not working, which is the majority of my life - unlike some other companies. Plus the cafeteria rocks. Tons of options that are actually pretty reasonably priced.

Cons

Parking is horrendous right now, but we've got a new garage that'll fix that in the works. I wish I could see outside from my office, but I can't win everything.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on. I think brand promotion via higher budget advertising is really helping. The water bottles we got for "beat yesterday" were terrible - no more of those please.

"Design Engineer Intern"

Former Employee - Design Engineer Intern in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Design Engineer Intern in Salem, OR

Pros

Atmosphere. Cool projects and great people. I really loved working here, and I will probably apply when I gradulate. more words

Cons

Fluff. I just wanted to work on my projects, but every time I turned around there was another internship touchy feely thing I was asked to participate in. Also, Salem.

Advice to Management

I think a lot of the intern activities were lame and unnecessary. The projects were a lot of fun, and any time taken from working on them for team building felt childish.

"Great company, too many layers of management"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company wants to care about employees, employee stock plan, pension and 401k. Insurance benefit is reasonable. Cool products and nice employee discount.

Cons

Too many layers of management. Directors do not encourage employees to progress in their career, as if they are afraid of being replaced. Lies and backstabbing are common.

Advice to Management

Time for housecleaning in IT management. There is a reason for the churn in certain areas and it is not because the job or company, it is their boss.

"Great Products, No Leadership"

Former Employee - Marketing Communications in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits provided are second to none. Comprehensive health benefits are the very best, but at a low cost to employees. Stock purchase options are above average. 401K match is excellent. The product discounts are also great.

Cons

Garmin does not have any strong leadership in the company. Upcoming leaders are pushed out. Everyone is there for himself/herself. While some teams work well, teams do not generally work with each other well. Managers are constantly talking down about each other. The CEO and "marketing leaders" do not understand consumer marketing at all, and therefore they have amazing products that customers don't even know exist. They are extremely internally focused. They should be ranked a best place to work in the country, but are one of the worst as far as corporate culture.

Advice to Management

Look at your competition, the consumer electronics, and CPG industries and look at what makes them successful: a focus on the customer. Use data and listen to it. Stop letting people who are afraid of their jobs being taken by others run the company. The company needs to move from an engineering focus to a marketing focus, with marketing leaders who are NOT engineers, while still prioritizing engineering and innovation - based on marketing analytics.

"Stepping stone, nothing more"

Former Employee - Web Designer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and some really nice people to work with. Great work/life balance.

Cons

The pay is a joke and HR doesn't care to increase it to attract stronger employees. Company is perfectly ok with a high turnover and middle of the road talent. Promotions to many senior roles don't even come with a pay raise. Unheard of in the tech industry. The company is struggling to stay relevant.

Advice to Management

You can't lure talent with the promise of "great benefits". If you want top shelf employees, you have to pay for them. There's a lot of money sitting in the bank, maybe sink some of it into employees to help attrition.

10. "A good company to work with"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people and good benefit.

Cons

Very project orientated and timeline driven.