KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Garmin

Is this your company?

Garmin

Add a Review

Garmin Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 22, 2021

Found 101 of over 1,047 reviews

4.2
Garmin President and CEO Clifton Pemble
Clifton Pemble
Pros
  • "great staff great benefits beautiful weather(in 106 reviews)

• "The work life balance is great with no one asking you to put in extra time(in 86 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Non engineering positions do not have much of an opportunity for career path development/growth(in 22 reviews)

• "Hard to stay aware with what is happening in upper-management(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Garmin and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to work

Nov 30, 2020 - Senior Windows Systems Administrator in Salem, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to work. Good work life balance.

Cons

There are no cons to working here.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A Great Place to Work, but with overly-conservative business strategy

Oct 6, 2020 - Mechanical Engineer in Olathe, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Work-life balance is excellent. Rarely over 45 hours a week and most weeks 40. -Management makes a great effort to put you in a department where you are interested in the product you are working on. -If you have a strong opinion about something on the product you are working on, your voice will be heard at higher levels typically. -My manager was very focused on my career development and improvement as an engineer/employee.

Cons

-Location: Top talent simply isn't going to want to work in suburban Kansas, especially when there is no shuttle service from urban KC to the office. -Diversity: Overwhelmingly white, male office. -Slow development pace: I feel like the pace at which we developed new products was a bit slower than it should have been and test requirements were a bit too stringent.

Continue reading
      8 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee

Decent Company to Work For

Jan 22, 2021 - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good mid range company. Very flexible work life balance, will require deadline management every once in a while

Cons

Can be a bit slow at times. State of the art at Garmin falls behind industry standards sometimes

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good Company

Sep 9, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Garmin really feels like an engineering company. The priority is quality. There are many bright engineers to help you out if you get stuck. The work life balance is great with no one asking you to put in extra time.

Cons

There are processes that help ensure quality but slow down the process. For the company that's good, but sometimes you wish you could just crank out code.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

The perfect place for the less ambitious career path.

Jun 16, 2020 - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Incredible 401k match. I have yet to see a tech company get anywhere near it. Great work life balance. I never saw anyone (engineering or management) ever working over 40 hours a week and the building would be pretty empty at 5pm every day. Great horizontal job opportunities as an engineer. If you are working in one tech stack and want to move to another, there is likely another opening somewhere else in the company you can switch to. A lot of responsibility and valuable experience from day one. If you're starting your career and want to have the stability of a large corporation while also getting opportunities to work like a startup this is a great place to be.

Cons

Extremely conservative. The phrase I heard often was "Garmin likes to bet on base hits, not home runs". This does result in some pros like being extremely stable through downturns, but also results in ambitious projects being turned down and frequent pushes to maintain the status quo. Not a lot of diversity. Most decision makers in the company are white males, which can (and has by their own admission) resulted in a lot of missed opportunities in some market segments. A lot of groupthink due to a culture of promoting from within the company. Cliff (the CEO) was once a software engineer and a lot of upper management started out in engineering as well. There are also numerous examples of leaders being hired from outside of the company who end up leaving because they have a tough time adjusting to the culture. The performance review process was a waste of time. Your goals were set at the beginning of the year with little to no guidance from management and then never refined or discussed again until your performance review at the end of the year. Your manager would then leave a small blurb about the goal (sometimes as short as one sentence) and that was it. Garmin is very strict about promotions until you fit their job description. The general engineering path is around 2 years to become a Software Engineer 2A/B, 5 years to become a Senior Software Engineer, and 10 years to become a Tech Lead (with even further levels available, but it is generally rare). I was told by multiple managers that despite me exceeding expectations for multiple performance cycles and already operating at the next level, I would have to wait until I hit my years of experience requirement to advance to the next level. Olathe (and generally Kansas) does not have a lot of large tech companies, so it is challenging to advance your career long term while staying in the area (dependent on tech stack). If you're committing to moving to the Olathe HQ, you should be prepared to stay at Garmin for the duration of your stay because there are not very many places to move to if you're unhappy.

10 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Benefits and work/life balance are amazing! (8 months into mid-level position)

Jul 31, 2019 - Author in Olathe, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits and work/life balance are leaps and bounds better than my past big business employers. Without researching it too carefully, I'd guess the benefits are some of the best within the United States. I was genuinely astounded while making selections. Management seems to be very invested in helping grow my professional development, while providing a realistic level of transparency, trust, and autonomy. The culture is incredibly inclusive and positively vocal about equality in a way that I had never experienced from an employer. It is refreshing to see the unflinching compassion and support for all people, especially from an organization of this size. The company is also passionate about leaving as small an environmental impact as possible. There are numerous eco-friendly initiatives happening consistently. More can always be done, but they are putting in a noticeable effort. As an added bonus, they provide a lot of free and discounted outside of work activity opportunities that have increased my personal outdoor and fitness activity level, as well as my family's. I am a person who works to live, rather than lives to work and my team and company seems to truly support and encourage that lifestyle. I very much hope I have found a long-term place of work.

Cons

After my first 8 months, I only have good things to say.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Former Intern, more than 1 year

Great benefits and Work

Oct 9, 2020 - Software Engineer in Cary, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Benefits Good Work life balance Lots of challenging work

Cons

Working outside of the headquarters can lead to some communication difficulties. The office environment can be pretty slow at times.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great Benefits

Jun 25, 2020 - Project Manager in Olathe, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great health care options and generous roll over of PTO from year to year

Cons

Work life balance can be a struggle, but is becoming more of a focus

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company, Great Culture

Jun 8, 2020 - Software Engineer-II in Olathe, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is great, everyone is easy to work with. Great 401k match. Good work life balance.

Cons

Benefits somewhat subpar, besides 401k and Employee Stock Purchase Plan

10. 3.0
      Current Employee

a

Sep 8, 2020 - Platform Engineer in Boulder, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good overall benefits. Good salary.

Cons

It's fine. Been here for a year. Work life balance can be tough.

1 person found this review helpful