Gartner Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Account Manager

3.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be much worse in some finance support roles which require uber amounts of overtime (in 65 reviews)

• Historic/legacy middle management can lack structure (in 44 reviews)

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner (More than a year)

Pros

Modern culture, flexible work environment, great facilities and amenities at work (gym, chefs, pool tables, etc)

You will get a lot of education and exposure with working with enterprise size clients and C-Level executives.

A lot of perks come with the company, great vacations, team days, fun events, and fun quarter closes.

If you like technology and big business, this is a great opportunity. The company is in front of the market and many business's will recruit you as they know people from Gartner are usually among the brightest.

This is a very good company, and they are growing like crazy. I have had a personal bad experience, but I would have worked for the company and done it all again. I would just have hoped to get placed on with a senior manager who was proven and a good leader.

Cons

Huge problem developing people. Academy is a process that is 2+ months long. After going through many interviews, flying around the country, and going through 2+ months of training's, you still might not be a good fit. A lot of people move just for this job, and they do not even know if they will make it through training and a lot of people don't.

Management is a problem, be careful of the bait and switch. In your interview process you will meet with VP and successful members of management, which is who determines if you get the job. However, that will more than likely be your last exposure with them, which I did not realize. When you come out of the Academy, you are going to be at random assigned a manager and a team. You have no control over the types of people or manager you have to report to. My experience was awful, I walked into a team that hated their manager. My mentor was going to quit unless the manager left soon, and 4 of the 7 people on my team left recently because of management issues. I walked into a less than desirable situation and I could do nothing about it.

Many people say people don't quit companies, they quit managers. This is certainly the case at Gartner. The turnover is tremendously high, they will downplay this hard, and many of my peers asked the same questions I did, and you will just feel that they are not being honest. They will want to pitch you and say that it is promotions, don't let them lie to you. Within my first year every person that sat next to me or on other teams around me had changed. Out of the 10-15 people close to me that left, 1 was promoted. They will force a lot of people out, they dont fire, but they put extensive pressure, and it happens a lot.

The problem really is not bad quality candidates or poor training. It is the lack of management. The majority of the managers are rookie managers who are not experienced with people development. Many are under the age of 30, and they simply lack experience of being leaders, they focus solely on being managers and managing numbers.

This is a dial for dollars job. Call Call Call, this is a call center. No matter how much they try to make it look cool or edgy, you need to be very clear on expectations, because the real job is to consistently cold call. The territories have been consistently shrinking has they are bringing in more and more sales people. The list of companies you get to prospect has been contacted many many times, in fact the company is now even switching prospect lists quarterly, so every quarter a new sales rep is reaching out trying to get a sale, which can make for tough cold call sessions and blitz days. The only way to come over that, is to find new start up companies to target, the challenge there is those companies are seeking funding, and you are asking them to spend more money then what they have in hope we can get them help with funding.

On top of switching your prospects, you may have to switch territories often as well. This is not a job where you have a specific territory and you develop and build relationships with people. You have to call and try to get the deal right away. When you do switch prospects or territories you have a few weeks at best to close anything that is already in the works. The problem is often you will get people to reach out to you months later when they are ready. Many sales jobs that is ideal as your efforts eventually pay off, but at Gartner, they are no longer your prospect and you do not get any rights at all to get that business, even if they ask for you it is a battle to get the business to fall your way.

You wont have any good tools for CRM or LMS. Tracking prospects or notes is not going to happen, everything is done via personal notes, which your not going to get once they become your prospect.

You must have spirit to work here. There are so many dress up days and theme days, you must dress up much like high school very regularly to have "spirit" weeks.

Do not get use to your team, change happens so much. There are a few sales employees who have tenure, but not very many at all. In fact many of the people who you will meet with tenure actually had most of that tenure in another role in the company, usually CP, the sales channel does not have that much success keeping people long term.

There are a lot of uncontrollables at this company. Your manager, your team, your territory, your book of business......all of that is something you have no say or control over. All of it impacts your income and longevity with the company.

You should not talk to upper management. When you get out of training, I was told by a lot of people on the floor that you should not talk with upper management on issues. Upper management is great to have fun with and interact with personally, but you should not have business issues discussed with them. Two times I had issues where I had a specific game plan to obtain a business deal, both these times my direct manager told me not to go with my game plan and go with hers instead. Both times her game plan did not work. So when I talked to upper management about the situation he suggested something different, which was the exact plan that I had in the first place, I asked him then how I could better communicate with my manager so we could have avoided this. That was a mistake on my part as that rocked the boat and made for a uncomfortable situation. Both of those examples I was able to save the business, and I felt I should absolutely be able to have a strategic conversation with my VP to better communicate with my brand new manager. But as all of my senior peers advised, don't go to management unless it is a massive huge problem or they ask you in to talk, just don't do it.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. If you get them through all of the interviews, the academy, and up on the floor make sure you are putting leaders in place to develop and retain talent.

Make strategies and plans open to the whole sales floor, you can tell some leaders are trying to spit out the words that they heard in a meeting to the team, but it becomes a game of telephone. Have the VP's hold team meetings, at least once a month with just there 3-4 teams that they over see. Allow the line level employees to understand what changes and shifts are going on, as they are the people who do the work to make impact and move the needle on those topics.

WHY? Why is your turnover so high, why do people not even make it one year? Maybe its all garbage people with garbage sales skills, but that is just to unlikely after all of the work that goes into quality candidates.

I noticed a lot of very intelligent smart people shutting down on the sales floor. Often senior management comes out to talk to teams, but they gravitate only towards the people who are the top 10% performers or who just closed a monster deal. It is not genuine at all, so many great people felt isolated and unworthy because there sales performance was not as good as good as it should be. Why are we not focusing on people development? Give high fives and props, and shoot nerf guns and celebrate with those who are experiencing success. Still make time and get to know the bottom performers, they are people too, and they are your people, be LEADERS, not managers.

This business should have some type of continuing education. There is so much to speak and be knowledgable about with CEO's, prepare some better strategies for sales to continue there education. LMS would be a good start. I often read a lot of key documents that pertained, but some type of structure or knowledge recap would have been helpful and helped me pick up key pain points on the phone.

2. "Great Company for First Job"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great benefits
    great pay
    lottttts of opportunity
    great work/life balance

Cons

hard to understand everything Gartner has to offer when speaking to clients
    information overload

Advice to Management

more hands on after training ends

"Solid resume builder, if you're willing to risk your soul/integrity"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager, SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager, SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent first gig for someone fresh out of college and 0-3 years of sales experience.
    Lots of value added "perks" (overcrowded gym, lunch options in overcrowded cafeteria, valet parking that everyone collectively dislikes, etc)
    Opportunity to network with C-level executives.
    Once every quarter Gartner buys lunch/pizza/food (so that they can guilt you into staying until midnight to wait on a contract that was going to come in anyway)

Cons

Oh dear, where to begin.. my advice to potential candidates is that if it SEEMS to good to be true, it probably is. The SMB channel is going through some major growing pains to try and meet it's goals for it's sales force and it's just not a good time to join.

First, OTE and WC achiever numbers seem largely inflated by HR during the hiring process. When they flash you with the earning and "limitless opportunity" I would press them on:
    - how many associates hit those numbers on a full year quota.
    -the average CV amounts of the associates that hit WC
    -what geographic territories they support

BECAUSE, You have absolutely no say in what your book of business looks like or what territory you manage. You won't know what it is until you join the sales floor. A large part of the success at Gartner is greatly determined by territory. and not all territories are created equally.. Compelling to see how many people in the top 50 and 100 on the stack ranking are actually managing what Gartner considers an average territory size. Prospecting territories keep getting broken into smaller pieces (you might get to share 5 letters of the alphabet with 8 other people on your team) while quotas remain constant or increase.

If you do successfully make it past two years here, but aren’t in the SMB "in crowd" (friends with VP's, related to VP's or friends of VP relatives), or have zero desire to stay in the SMB Ft Myers office, there’s actually very limited opportunity here for you. They talk up a lot of big game about the promotion culture here but from what I've experienced it's a bunch of hot air and an apparent excuse for your direct leadership to use as a weapon to bully you into putting Gartner before literally all other aspects of your life. Further, if you want to make the jump to Field, or god forbid anything non-sales, be prepared to do a lot of that leg work yourself because SMB is weirdly elusive about you leaving this channel.

Culture is essentially a continuation of university Greek life which can be a good thing if you enjoy drinking as a form of networking with your peers, Spirit weeks, and dressing up in the name of driving NCVI during said spirit weeks.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the sand and recognize that your system as it stands, is broken. Actually look at the data that's causing the stagnation of numbers across the sales floor and stop blaming it on attitude and mindset of the individual AE’s. Actually invest in your people instead of putting up smoke and mirrors and perhaps the turnover rate will go down, you will have less open territory to cover and client retention will improve.

"Solid Company with lots of growth"

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IT industry is BOOMING and Gartner provides legitimate research that every business needs.

As an industry leader, employees get to interact with influential players in the industry in Sales, Marketing, Operations, IT, and at the Executive Level.

Training provided to help you succeed at your role.

Lots of growth opportunity, and earning potential if you work hard enough.

Cons

Sales environment often felt like a frat house vs. a professional industry leading company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the solid training and coaching for employees. Scale back on the frat house environment feel.

"Account Manager - SMB"

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience with consultative sales to C-level executives. Selling a product that truly works and is becoming inherently more important as the rate of change with technology exponentially increases.

Great culture

If you're serious about your career, this is about as good as it gets to start.

Cons

Politics can be tough. Luck is also apparent but usually evens out over time

Advice to Management

Treat people like people not a number. Gartner has an opportunity to be something special, not just another tech company.

6. "A great sales role for young people out of college"

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, fantastic facilities, leadership opportunity is not gated by age, sales leads are provided, the company is great at celebrating wins, amazing events.

Cons

Many account managers are promoted because they are good in their role not because of leadership competencies. Managers get burned out and seem to have a high turn over rate. A lot of people are right out of college and move on to different companies, making turn over apparent.

Advice to Management

The young environment is creating some rock stars, but the SMB organization would do well to bridge the gap between them and field sales. Many of the managers are young and often have their eyes set on field sales roles, making development harder to come by than it initially seems.

"SMB sales channel with toxic culture & biased management"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great base salary & on-target earnings for recent college grads/ a salesperson with 0-3 years relevant experience. They also offer a negotiable relocation package.

Cons

Many times young talent is the most economical talent to hire. However, hiring so many recent college grads has created an office culture that tends to feel like a frat house. Recruiters sell you on a 2 year promotion track that is not likely to materialize unless you find a way to be a golden child in the eyes of VPs.

Additionally they recruit people to pick up their lives and move to Fort Myers for the role, but then fire some before they are ever out of the training academy.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that not all talented leaders look the same or have the same style. Work to remove the frat house feel of the SMB sales office... it can be fun to be social with coworkers but is inappropriate that the entire channel parties together and dates one another

"SMB Account Manager"

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started working here right out of college. I had no intention on accepting a position with Gartner once they offered to fly me out to FL. I decided to interview with them anyways and fell in love with the company. I've never seen a company care about their talent as much as Gartner. They truly want you to be a part of their team and aren't afraid to show it. Once in the role, the training team and leadership are nothing but supportive. They encourage collaboration and there are plenty of great minds to pick from. On top of that, you ware recognized for your success. From Winner's Circle to quarterly region meetings, Gartner goes out of its way to recognize and reward your success. Amazing opportunity to work here and develop yourself as a professional.

Cons

The only cons I have are with the training. Gartner does a phenomenal job training its employees. However, with 60-75 new hires during the summer academies, it's hard to get one on one time with your trainers.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop your current employees and provide the opportunities for their growth. This is a fantastic company with unlimited opportunity.

"Luck of the draw"

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is invested in your success. The people are what is amazing about this organization. There is also a wealth of opportunity if you are able to achieve your set goals.

Cons

The sheer growth and mentality that the SMB office has is creating a bubble (which will inevitably pop). Smaller prospecting territories, unchanged quotes to take into account shrinking opportunity and a complete crap shoot when it comes to the accounts you are given.

Advice to Management

Weigh the accounts that you are giving the AE's, and distribute quotes that relate to what is and what is not tangible. Fairness goes a long way in this lucky, cyclical business we call sales.

"Smb Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to get out on the right foot and have something on your resume for your next job.

Cons

A few things:
    1. Downward trend of becoming hyper focused on metrics, which creates a micromanaged culture. You'll read a number of reviews about poor middle management, and I find that this is mostly true with a few good outliers.
    2. Unfortunately, middle management is programmed to be completely metrics driven and almost don't blame them for their tactics, because it's being passed down from above.
    3. To provide a bit of context.. my wedding day fell on a quarters close and my direct management was visibly upset for not thinking about such an important work date while planning out the single most important day of my entire life. It didn't stop there though, they prevented a member of the bridal party from attending, saying indirectly that it wouldn't be a good career move for them, so I'm left with an uneven bridal party.
    Hope this puts in perspective that you are nothing but a laborer, and not due basic human courtesies like major life events. A quarter close comes before a wedding.

Advice to Management

Congratultions on your profitability and keep printing money for your shareholders, but please have respect for the lower tiers in your organization.