Gartner Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Collaborative culture with a strong emphasis on work-life balance (in 108 reviews)

• You have the option to work from home if you need to and working hours can be flexible (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a bit tough at times (in 58 reviews)

• Middle management in sales is a joke (in 40 reviews)

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner (More than a year)

Pros

Modern culture, flexible work environment, great facilities and amenities at work (gym, chefs, pool tables, etc)

You will get a lot of education and exposure with working with enterprise size clients and C-Level executives.

A lot of perks come with the company, great vacations, team days, fun events, and fun quarter closes.

If you like technology and big business, this is a great opportunity. The company is in front of the market and many business's will recruit you as they know people from Gartner are usually among the brightest.

This is a very good company, and they are growing like crazy. I have had a personal bad experience, but I would have worked for the company and done it all again. I would just have hoped to get placed on with a senior manager who was proven and a good leader.

Cons

Huge problem developing people. Academy is a process that is 2+ months long. After going through many interviews, flying around the country, and going through 2+ months of training's, you still might not be a good fit. A lot of people move just for this job, and they do not even know if they will make it through training and a lot of people don't.

Management is a problem, be careful of the bait and switch. In your interview process you will meet with VP and successful members of management, which is who determines if you get the job. However, that will more than likely be your last exposure with them, which I did not realize. When you come out of the Academy, you are going to be at random assigned a manager and a team. You have no control over the types of people or manager you have to report to. My experience was awful, I walked into a team that hated their manager. My mentor was going to quit unless the manager left soon, and 4 of the 7 people on my team left recently because of management issues. I walked into a less than desirable situation and I could do nothing about it.

Many people say people don't quit companies, they quit managers. This is certainly the case at Gartner. The turnover is tremendously high, they will downplay this hard, and many of my peers asked the same questions I did, and you will just feel that they are not being honest. They will want to pitch you and say that it is promotions, don't let them lie to you. Within my first year every person that sat next to me or on other teams around me had changed. Out of the 10-15 people close to me that left, 1 was promoted. They will force a lot of people out, they dont fire, but they put extensive pressure, and it happens a lot.

The problem really is not bad quality candidates or poor training. It is the lack of management. The majority of the managers are rookie managers who are not experienced with people development. Many are under the age of 30, and they simply lack experience of being leaders, they focus solely on being managers and managing numbers.

This is a dial for dollars job. Call Call Call, this is a call center. No matter how much they try to make it look cool or edgy, you need to be very clear on expectations, because the real job is to consistently cold call. The territories have been consistently shrinking has they are bringing in more and more sales people. The list of companies you get to prospect has been contacted many many times, in fact the company is now even switching prospect lists quarterly, so every quarter a new sales rep is reaching out trying to get a sale, which can make for tough cold call sessions and blitz days. The only way to come over that, is to find new start up companies to target, the challenge there is those companies are seeking funding, and you are asking them to spend more money then what they have in hope we can get them help with funding.

On top of switching your prospects, you may have to switch territories often as well. This is not a job where you have a specific territory and you develop and build relationships with people. You have to call and try to get the deal right away. When you do switch prospects or territories you have a few weeks at best to close anything that is already in the works. The problem is often you will get people to reach out to you months later when they are ready. Many sales jobs that is ideal as your efforts eventually pay off, but at Gartner, they are no longer your prospect and you do not get any rights at all to get that business, even if they ask for you it is a battle to get the business to fall your way.

You wont have any good tools for CRM or LMS. Tracking prospects or notes is not going to happen, everything is done via personal notes, which your not going to get once they become your prospect.

You must have spirit to work here. There are so many dress up days and theme days, you must dress up much like high school very regularly to have "spirit" weeks.

Do not get use to your team, change happens so much. There are a few sales employees who have tenure, but not very many at all. In fact many of the people who you will meet with tenure actually had most of that tenure in another role in the company, usually CP, the sales channel does not have that much success keeping people long term.

There are a lot of uncontrollables at this company. Your manager, your team, your territory, your book of business......all of that is something you have no say or control over. All of it impacts your income and longevity with the company.

You should not talk to upper management. When you get out of training, I was told by a lot of people on the floor that you should not talk with upper management on issues. Upper management is great to have fun with and interact with personally, but you should not have business issues discussed with them. Two times I had issues where I had a specific game plan to obtain a business deal, both these times my direct manager told me not to go with my game plan and go with hers instead. Both times her game plan did not work. So when I talked to upper management about the situation he suggested something different, which was the exact plan that I had in the first place, I asked him then how I could better communicate with my manager so we could have avoided this. That was a mistake on my part as that rocked the boat and made for a uncomfortable situation. Both of those examples I was able to save the business, and I felt I should absolutely be able to have a strategic conversation with my VP to better communicate with my brand new manager. But as all of my senior peers advised, don't go to management unless it is a massive huge problem or they ask you in to talk, just don't do it.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. If you get them through all of the interviews, the academy, and up on the floor make sure you are putting leaders in place to develop and retain talent.

Make strategies and plans open to the whole sales floor, you can tell some leaders are trying to spit out the words that they heard in a meeting to the team, but it becomes a game of telephone. Have the VP's hold team meetings, at least once a month with just there 3-4 teams that they over see. Allow the line level employees to understand what changes and shifts are going on, as they are the people who do the work to make impact and move the needle on those topics.

WHY? Why is your turnover so high, why do people not even make it one year? Maybe its all garbage people with garbage sales skills, but that is just to unlikely after all of the work that goes into quality candidates.

I noticed a lot of very intelligent smart people shutting down on the sales floor. Often senior management comes out to talk to teams, but they gravitate only towards the people who are the top 10% performers or who just closed a monster deal. It is not genuine at all, so many great people felt isolated and unworthy because there sales performance was not as good as good as it should be. Why are we not focusing on people development? Give high fives and props, and shoot nerf guns and celebrate with those who are experiencing success. Still make time and get to know the bottom performers, they are people too, and they are your people, be LEADERS, not managers.

This business should have some type of continuing education. There is so much to speak and be knowledgable about with CEO's, prepare some better strategies for sales to continue there education. LMS would be a good start. I often read a lot of key documents that pertained, but some type of structure or knowledge recap would have been helpful and helped me pick up key pain points on the phone.

"SMB - A Rollercoaster Ride"

Current Employee - SMB Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - SMB Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Gartner is a great company with a bright future & good reputation.

Training is intense & will teach you more than you would have possibly expected. Take the time to invest in yourself here and you will reap large benefits after a few months.

C-Level conversations will jumpstart your business acumen & provide very useful experience in short amounts of time.

Reading Gartner research will shape your view of technology & how it affects various businesses, which is also quite valuable.

Cons

When it boils down to it... the SMB channel at Gartner is an output-driven, entry-level inside sales job. Cold calling is common, territories are shrinking among channel growth, and you have to maintain a quota among this happening. Micromanagement is very common as a result of such.

The main "con" in this role is that success is HIGHLY dependent upon 'uncontrollables' - the territory you are given, the manager you are assigned to, the vertical (or non-vertical, which is worse) you are given, the prospecting area you are given, etc. It's important to understand the above because the culture recognizes sales that happen from these 'uncontrollables' as incredible personal feats for manufactured motivation.

Advice to Management

None. This can be a good or a bad experience, just take into account the pros/cons of the opinions above in order to make an informed decision about this role.

"Fast paced organization, not a lot of investment in developing the people"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits (salary, 401k, and insurance)

Cons

It has a high turnover, among the people that was in my training 1/3 of the people left within the first 5 months. The location (Fort Myers) don't have a lot of things to do, unless you enjoy the beach and golf.

Advice to Management

Spend time coaching the people and truly invest in your team to help them grow

5. "Account Manager SMB"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Atmosphere is very ambitious and collaborative. Younger office with solid structure and comprehensive programs to help you on your feet as an entry level Salesperson.

Cons

Complex sale takes time to learn. Account situations vary by employee so immediate success is often attached to the hand you're dealt.

Advice to Management

Continue placing an emphasis on effective management in order to keep Account Managers happy. Continue to arm them with the knowledge needed to drive value for clients and retention will continue to improve.

6. "So much Growth"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A ton of room for advancement early out in a sales career.

Cons

Understanding the Value Prop and Communicating Gartner can take newer reps a while to fully get it down.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

youre working alongside people who were vetted through the same vigorous process you went through.

Benefits are great.

I see A LOT of people with "work/life balance" as a con, I disagree completely and think it's very easy to maintain balance with this position.

LOTS of support from the internal teams - sales, product & professional development

Upward mobility after 18-24 months (permitting you meet quotas etc)

Upward mobility not your thing? I've been contacted by 5 recruiters from huge companies since being hired at Gartner.

I'm very happy here.

Cons

End of each quarter you're at the office pretty late (10pm,11pm) and month end you also have to stay around a while (6pm,7pm)

"Great from the outside, but.."

Former Employee - SMB Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - SMB Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is an incredible learning opportunity for those in the early stages of their careers. Few positions will put you in contact directly with the c-suite as a trusted advisory and partner. The brand name of Gartner is exceptional in most cases, and will help establish major credibility in your career. Benefits are comprehensive. Co-workers are a smart and fun group.

Cons

The city, the short term mindset of leadership, non-equivalent books of business, and turnover.
    After several months in Fort Myers, you will get very tired of your surroundings. It is a small city with a “middle age and up” majority demographic. The best crowd in the city will be your fellow colleagues, which is great for the office, but it gets tiring quickly when work is the common denominator in your conversations. The SMB channel is a bit of a farce as well. Every training class is 30-60 people and MAYBE half will be remaining after a year and a half. This is why the channel has such a huge focus on recruiting; the turn over is tremendous because you are not very empowered in your role. You are the liaison to the analyst community and the research, but you yourself are not advising and consulting clients (except for what kind of conversations they should be having). Not all books of business are created equally, and how your team is determined is luck of the draw. On top of that, when someone is recognized, they are touted as being successful because of their “unlimited mindset” which sends the effective message that everyone else does not have the same mindset. In reality, the rep being recognized is usually just having more luck with client situations. The product itself is an intangible. It is difficult to quantify how much success or ROI a client has when working with Gartner, and it makes the sales cycle that much more difficult. It does not help that the CRM is an in house made tool that inadequately records client conversations, tasks, and necessary follow ups to service clients. Lastly, for a global leading company it is concerning how nonchalant SMB leadership is regarding deceptive business practices. False deadlines and urgencies with inflated ‘price increases’ are the norm, and falsely inflated price points proposed to potential clients without complete transparency into SLA’s are a common tactic.

Advice to Management

Put a strong stop on the deceptive pricing incentives and false time bound incentives. It erodes the brand, decreases the trustworthiness of the org, and demoralizes sales teams that value integrity. Focus on long term contribution to the global organization as a channel and award longevity and employee loyalty by compensating bonuses that show long-term value toward the employee (aka stock bonuses and allocations, which are basic to every other tech company). Have managers and VPs actively involved in sales cycles. Gartner is positioned as a collaborative work environment and there are posters on the wall that say, “you can accomplish more as a team than individually”, yet the account manager is doing every step of the work (depending on the manager). Reconsider the hard push of someone’s “unlimited mindset” when championing success (some teams have better books of business, and some employees who hit accelerators did it because they were lucky).

"How the Mighty fall - Get in, learn, get out"

Former Employee - Account Manager (SMB) in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager (SMB) in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Culture is great... laid back and a lot of likeminded individuals
    -Training program sets a good foundation for sales aspiring individuals coming out of college
    -Exposure to a lot of different businesses and allows you to learn at an MBA level in some cases

Cons

-Management on HT has severely decreased... Young VPs that don't know anything outside their Gartner bubble and aren't ready to be in leadership
    -It has severely become a boiler room... all about the NCVI and less about actually driving value... High pressure sales that ruins relationships to get to that golden number
    -Politics is absolutely terrible... If you join the org just politic with the MVP and you'll be sure to get that promotion. Inappropriate rumors and a corresponding promotion make it very very fishy and everyone knows.
    -THE GARTNER KOOLAID. Don't talk bad about anything cause there will always be a follower who thinks Gartner is the end all be all in everything. It's a company with a poor value prop on HT but the koolaid creates sheep.

Advice to Management

Change up HT. It has become toxic. Management doesn't know, but none of the employees really believe in this anymore. Keep the good culture... it's great for individuals

"Best experience ever, but watch out for the politics and drama"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner (More than a year)

Pros

Best sales training process, opportunity to work for the #1 IT research and influence company, and most importantly, get to be at the center of all things IT

Cons

Management only cares about their high school friends or their fancy neighbors in CT. Lack of diversity in the company. Promotions and retention are really based on politics and alliances, not performance. Some of the worst performers easily get promoted up and that's who they promote to manage you.

Advice to Management

Time to clean shop.

11. "SMB Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the company as far as pay and quarterly bonuses!

Cons

The culture here is too clicked up. Spread some diversity please.

Advice to Management

Diversity and inclusion, please.