Gartner Reviews in Fort Myers, FL | Glassdoor

Fort Myers, FL

3.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be much worse in some finance support roles which require uber amounts of overtime (in 66 reviews)

• Historic/legacy middle management can lack structure (in 44 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Growing with Gartner"

Current Employee - Vice President in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Been at the company over a dozen years straight out of university and had a promotion every 2-3yrs. Been able to earn good money, travel the world (often on their expense), interact with smart people every day.

Cons

We've been growing quick so constant change and process retooling can get frustrating at times. Don't always pay internal promotions as much as external market would.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner (More than a year)

Pros

Modern culture, flexible work environment, great facilities and amenities at work (gym, chefs, pool tables, etc)

You will get a lot of education and exposure with working with enterprise size clients and C-Level executives.

A lot of perks come with the company, great vacations, team days, fun events, and fun quarter closes.

If you like technology and big business, this is a great opportunity. The company is in front of the market and many business's will recruit you as they know people from Gartner are usually among the brightest.

This is a very good company, and they are growing like crazy. I have had a personal bad experience, but I would have worked for the company and done it all again. I would just have hoped to get placed on with a senior manager who was proven and a good leader.

Cons

Huge problem developing people. Academy is a process that is 2+ months long. After going through many interviews, flying around the country, and going through 2+ months of training's, you still might not be a good fit. A lot of people move just for this job, and they do not even know if they will make it through training and a lot of people don't.

Management is a problem, be careful of the bait and switch. In your interview process you will meet with VP and successful members of management, which is who determines if you get the job. However, that will more than likely be your last exposure with them, which I did not realize. When you come out of the Academy, you are going to be at random assigned a manager and a team. You have no control over the types of people or manager you have to report to. My experience was awful, I walked into a team that hated their manager. My mentor was going to quit unless the manager left soon, and 4 of the 7 people on my team left recently because of management issues. I walked into a less than desirable situation and I could do nothing about it.

Many people say people don't quit companies, they quit managers. This is certainly the case at Gartner. The turnover is tremendously high, they will downplay this hard, and many of my peers asked the same questions I did, and you will just feel that they are not being honest. They will want to pitch you and say that it is promotions, don't let them lie to you. Within my first year every person that sat next to me or on other teams around me had changed. Out of the 10-15 people close to me that left, 1 was promoted. They will force a lot of people out, they dont fire, but they put extensive pressure, and it happens a lot.

The problem really is not bad quality candidates or poor training. It is the lack of management. The majority of the managers are rookie managers who are not experienced with people development. Many are under the age of 30, and they simply lack experience of being leaders, they focus solely on being managers and managing numbers.

This is a dial for dollars job. Call Call Call, this is a call center. No matter how much they try to make it look cool or edgy, you need to be very clear on expectations, because the real job is to consistently cold call. The territories have been consistently shrinking has they are bringing in more and more sales people. The list of companies you get to prospect has been contacted many many times, in fact the company is now even switching prospect lists quarterly, so every quarter a new sales rep is reaching out trying to get a sale, which can make for tough cold call sessions and blitz days. The only way to come over that, is to find new start up companies to target, the challenge there is those companies are seeking funding, and you are asking them to spend more money then what they have in hope we can get them help with funding.

On top of switching your prospects, you may have to switch territories often as well. This is not a job where you have a specific territory and you develop and build relationships with people. You have to call and try to get the deal right away. When you do switch prospects or territories you have a few weeks at best to close anything that is already in the works. The problem is often you will get people to reach out to you months later when they are ready. Many sales jobs that is ideal as your efforts eventually pay off, but at Gartner, they are no longer your prospect and you do not get any rights at all to get that business, even if they ask for you it is a battle to get the business to fall your way.

You wont have any good tools for CRM or LMS. Tracking prospects or notes is not going to happen, everything is done via personal notes, which your not going to get once they become your prospect.

You must have spirit to work here. There are so many dress up days and theme days, you must dress up much like high school very regularly to have "spirit" weeks.

Do not get use to your team, change happens so much. There are a few sales employees who have tenure, but not very many at all. In fact many of the people who you will meet with tenure actually had most of that tenure in another role in the company, usually CP, the sales channel does not have that much success keeping people long term.

There are a lot of uncontrollables at this company. Your manager, your team, your territory, your book of business......all of that is something you have no say or control over. All of it impacts your income and longevity with the company.

You should not talk to upper management. When you get out of training, I was told by a lot of people on the floor that you should not talk with upper management on issues. Upper management is great to have fun with and interact with personally, but you should not have business issues discussed with them. Two times I had issues where I had a specific game plan to obtain a business deal, both these times my direct manager told me not to go with my game plan and go with hers instead. Both times her game plan did not work. So when I talked to upper management about the situation he suggested something different, which was the exact plan that I had in the first place, I asked him then how I could better communicate with my manager so we could have avoided this. That was a mistake on my part as that rocked the boat and made for a uncomfortable situation. Both of those examples I was able to save the business, and I felt I should absolutely be able to have a strategic conversation with my VP to better communicate with my brand new manager. But as all of my senior peers advised, don't go to management unless it is a massive huge problem or they ask you in to talk, just don't do it.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. If you get them through all of the interviews, the academy, and up on the floor make sure you are putting leaders in place to develop and retain talent.

Make strategies and plans open to the whole sales floor, you can tell some leaders are trying to spit out the words that they heard in a meeting to the team, but it becomes a game of telephone. Have the VP's hold team meetings, at least once a month with just there 3-4 teams that they over see. Allow the line level employees to understand what changes and shifts are going on, as they are the people who do the work to make impact and move the needle on those topics.

WHY? Why is your turnover so high, why do people not even make it one year? Maybe its all garbage people with garbage sales skills, but that is just to unlikely after all of the work that goes into quality candidates.

I noticed a lot of very intelligent smart people shutting down on the sales floor. Often senior management comes out to talk to teams, but they gravitate only towards the people who are the top 10% performers or who just closed a monster deal. It is not genuine at all, so many great people felt isolated and unworthy because there sales performance was not as good as good as it should be. Why are we not focusing on people development? Give high fives and props, and shoot nerf guns and celebrate with those who are experiencing success. Still make time and get to know the bottom performers, they are people too, and they are your people, be LEADERS, not managers.

This business should have some type of continuing education. There is so much to speak and be knowledgable about with CEO's, prepare some better strategies for sales to continue there education. LMS would be a good start. I often read a lot of key documents that pertained, but some type of structure or knowledge recap would have been helpful and helped me pick up key pain points on the phone.

3. "Great for IT Advising"

Former Employee - Director in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Director in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner (Less than a year)

Pros

Great for IT Advising. I consulted with mid-market CIO's in the financial services industry to develop and implement an effective enterprise-wide strategy that maximized the value delivered by Gartner's mid-market research products and services.

Cons

Not so great for advertising

Advice to Management

The Nubera deal was a mistake.

"Great organization to build your skills and kick-off your career"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unparalleled opportunity to grow with the company. Maintain a positive mindset, excel at your role, and you will have a wide variety of growth choices. Collaborative environment to help you succeed in your role and grow your skills. Management genuinely cares about your success, and they bend over backwards to help you.

Cons

Your experience will vary depending on your manager. Each team has its own culture.

Advice to Management

Take the successful cultures of teams with high employee retention and find ways to scale that culture across the floor. I don't think anyone quits Gartner - they quit their manager.

5. "Love, love, love it!"

Current Employee - Associate Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture
    The people
    Benefits
    Work-life balance
    Challenged everyday

Cons

Just like any job, it can be stressful at times

6. "Great Company for First Job"

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great benefits
    great pay
    lottttts of opportunity
    great work/life balance

Cons

hard to understand everything Gartner has to offer when speaking to clients
    information overload

Advice to Management

more hands on after training ends

7. "Fantastic Experience Thus Far - Expecting a Bright Future!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gartner is incredibly collaborative and focused on internal promotion, which is wonderful for someone looking to find a "forever home" in their career. The opportunities are endless, and everyone is here to help you get there. I work in HR and recruiting specifically, and job security is definitely not a concern as Gartner is growing and hiring an exponential amount. I have been very impressed from the get-go with all the employees here, both peers and leaders. I expect to have a long and happy career here with Gartner. PTO and Benefits are amazing as well, and work life balance is emphasized rather than downsized as many companies do.

Cons

I can quite honestly say I have not had a bad experience or moment at Gartner thus far. My quality of life has improved leaps and bounds since joining the team here, and I believe my future is bright. I do have to say, if anything, the starting salary is good, but modest. However from what I understand, opportunities for raises are often and based on merit - so the future is in my hands in that aspect, and I am certainly comfortable where I am at financially.

Advice to Management

Keep training and doing what you are doing. Everyone seems happy and committed to making their work environment an amazing one. I truly have nothing bad to say - many of my peers do not have anything negative to say as well. I am very impressed with all I have run into. Feedback is essential here at Gartner and it clearly is working as everyone seems to continuously want to improve themselves and the business together.

"I don't recommend the SMB account manager job"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(From an HT perspective)
    Majority of the people working at Gartner understand the value of having it on your resume. I also enjoyed my teammates who made working here much better then it would have been otherwise. Very rarely do you run into competition in sales cycles. You are selling to start ups, which is cool to tell your friends. Good benefits.

Cons

- First and foremost, three people in my sales academy were fired before they even hit the floor because they weren't a "culture fit" after moving across the country.
    - Gartner values feedback, they just don't take it themselves.
    - You are going to micro managed in a metric heavy environment by a manager who has never managed before.
    - Sales territories are smaller then ever, like another poster said you get a few letters of one state split between 8 people.
    -Limitless opportunities for those who last (the average tenure at Gartner is 7 months..very few people even make it the two years needed to get promoted.)
    - Gartner is not a start up, its a massive company and you are just a number looking to hit a number. Just this year we canceled the holiday party because corporate said so.
    - Unethical sales practices. You need to lie to your prospects/clients to keep up with everyone else.
    - Fort Myers is a very boring place to live, it's a retirement area filled with 55+ people.
    - This is a cubicle, call center job. You are at your desk staring at a computer all day.

Advice to Management

Invest in a CRM instead of excel sheets and employee retention. Until you make some changes, the only reason people why people are going to work at Gartner is to put in on a resume so they can go somewhere else.

9. "Gartner Internship - Fort Myers, FL (Summer)"

Former Intern - Business Development Coordinator in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Intern - Business Development Coordinator in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing culture
    - Opportunity to travel around Florida on weekends
    - Company & intern outings
    - Large intern class (100+)
    - Paid living (with other interns)
    - Bonus opportunities
    - $15/hour (no state income tax in Florida)
    - Great deal of freedom on the job
    - Great training
    - Overall solid sales experience
    - Full-time offer based on performance (hard to not get)
    - Can get promoted relatively quickly

Cons

- Can get stuck in a really bad territory, making bonus metrics hard to achieve
    - Some managers/teams can be un-supportive, dismissive, or micromanage (every company deals with this, it just depends on who you get assigned to. At Gartner, this is rare but can happen to an unlucky few.)
    - Fort Myers is a retirement community, especially during the summer. All of west coast Florida is like that. Bar scene is iffy.
    - The company is growing rapidly, meaning territories are only going to keep getting smaller. They're already small already, only companies beginning with a few letters (ex. A-E) in each state.
    - The prospects you're given typically are saturated leads, but not always.

Advice to Management

Management, for the most part, is outstanding. The only bad thing is that they're all relatively young (due to quick promotions), so sometimes it feels like there's a lot left to be learned.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time

Pros

Well known company, opportunity for money, good sales experience.

Cons

They hire from around the country and have very high turnover. Its very competitive and a cut throat environment. Not every new hire graduates from "the academy" (10 week training process). 60% of employees don't stay for a full year. It also has a fraternity like feel. Its clicky, and has a big bro culture.

Showing 232 of 1,576 reviews