Gartner Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

New York City, NY Area

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be much worse in some finance support roles which require uber amounts of overtime (in 62 reviews)

• Middle management in sales is a joke (in 43 reviews)

"Great company and the industry leader. Aggressive growth goals, but great product."

Current Employee - Account Executive in New Rochelle, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New Rochelle, NY

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent brand. Opportunity to overachieve quota for accelerated commissions. Opportunities exist for professional development. Generous travel budget, which allows for more client facing rather than selling through Webex.

Cons

Sales targets can be too aggressive, insistence on 20% year over year growth. Difficult to overcome a quota miss, which leads to high turnover.

Advice to Management

Retain talent longer.

2. "Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growth company with substantial market potential. Quality people. Very virtual environment thus ability to telework in most job roles. Work is very interested & mentally stimulating.

Cons

No major 'cons'. Some would say their performance is measured by some things over which they have no control.

Advice to Management

Some believe there is a trend toward more commoditization of many services & that may be valid? Important obviously to get this right & apply great management principles to maintain solid growth and profitability.

3. "Decent place for Consulting Career"

Former Employee - Managing Partner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Partner in New York, NY

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good brand but not as face paced as bigger firms; good access to senior company executives

Cons

not easy to access the Analysts, who are more focused on IT Research.

Advice to Management

NA

4. "RD"

Current Employee - Research Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Director in New York, NY

Pros

Work from home, independent, smart people, keep up on technology trends and strategies that are occurring in industries so always up to date and informed

Cons

Always more than enough work to do

Advice to Management

Clarify

"One of the best jobs I've had"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Gartner (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with Gartner for six months and it's been everything I hoped for and more. I have to make a clarification that a LOT of the reviews on here are from very junior (entry-level) sales folks who have the title "Account Manager". That is the entry-level SMB inside-sales role in Florida and that is much more "sink or swim". I would take all of those reviews with a grain of salt if you are an experienced sales person applying for the Account Executive, Senior AE, or Business Development roles. Those are for sales people with 5-10 years experience minimum and that's the role I am in.
    Top 10 PROS: 1. Great base pay and high earning potential (higher than I was getting in my prior two management level roles). 2. Flexible schedule - I work remotely from home and spend time out with my clients and make my own schedule. 3. Work with great companies as clients 4. Gartner is very well respected in the IT/tech industry 5. You only have 10-15 accounts ($1-2 Million book of business) and you get the time to focus on them. Sometimes this feels like limited opportunity but once the job got busy I understand that this is all an AE can really handle given the scope of the IT departments at large clients. 5. The company is doing exceptionally well. Double-digit growth for years which is a much happier place to be than a company that is struggling to get by. 6. Not crazy over expenses - they understand this is important for sales. We run events, take clients to lunch, etc and all expenses get approved. 7. Upward mobility - I've seen AE's already get promoted and given the constant growth of the company they are on the look out for their next leaders. 8. Global company so chance of moving or changing roles if you do well. 9. Professional, nice people. I have worked for some real jerks and everyone I meet at Gartner treats you with respect and is really friendly and helpful. Its that type of culture that has been very encouraging. 10. Training and support - the training is intense and long but its because they are investing in you. There is a lot of continued help as well. Everyone is willing to walk you through things like how to put together contracts or what's included in particular services. 11. Bonus Pro - Lots of people make their number and make winner's circle. NO LIMIT on who goes to Winner's circle as long as you hit 130% of your quota.

Cons

CONS: Being close to the HQ in Stamford, CT is generally a pro but we are required to go there every Monday for team meetings and its a bit of trek from Manhattan. I was thinking I would know what I was doing after 6 weeks of training but I still had so much to learn. That is the reality of this AE role especially if you don't have an IT background. I learn one new thing (or 5 things) every day. It's taking me upwards of six months to finally have the feeling that I know what I'm doing. It can also take awhile to get your first sale as they are big and you have to get to know your clients so no commissions for awhile was a bummer but then you can make your number off a couple good size deals.

Advice to Management

Make sure the training covers more of the day to day of the job. Get a REAL CRM system - like Salesforce. We could be doing more outbound marketing to draw in leads in a smarter way. More quarterly incentives would be welcome. Expand the locations for Winner's Circle - Miami is not very exciting. It would be better to get to go international.

6. "Senior Account Executive Major Accounts"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, once up to speed you can make your own schedule expect to be very busy, This role is service and sales.

Cons

Training is long 1 month in FL) intense and disorganized. -- Your manager can make or break your numbers here. Learning how to navigate resources is important and not clear without mangement support, I am lucky with a strong manager.

Advice to Management

Organization will help us succeed- Information is tough to navigate.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Gartner (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great resume builder and early career company to work for.
    Good internal learning experience; access to great research and SME for discussion.

Cons

Difficult work life balance.
    Internal politics impair carrier growth. Extra effort and going above and beyond is not recognized.

People are promoted based on who they know not achievements.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting/sending people to Asia Pac that grind out talent.

8. "Senior Event Planner"

Current Employee - Senior Event Planner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Event Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at Gartner (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to travel and work with people around the globe.

Cons

Hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance because you are traveling a lot.

"Vice President"

Current Employee - Sales Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for growth. Strong training and mentoring. Tremendous amount of internal resources.

Cons

Rigid work environment, very data driven. The days of being creative and flexible are long gone.

Advice to Management

Being client focused may mean something different to the client.

"Gartner is a great career choice - Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Hampton, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Hampton, NJ

I have been working at Gartner (Less than a year)

Pros

People - everyone is willing to help. Lots of opportunities to make money.

Cons

Training process is long. Takes some time to "get up to speed".

Advice to Management

Build a strong collaborative team. Keep positively reinforcing team.

Showing 26 of 1,371 reviews