Gartner Reviews | Glassdoor

Gene Hall
1,411 Ratings

2,102 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life Balance - Culture of flexibility is promoted that allows us to achieve our work goals while taking care of the personal agendas" (in 193 reviews)

• "Good work life balance (there is a gym onsite in Egham and possibility to work from home from time to time in a lot of roles)" (in 55 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Field Rep"

Current Employee - Account Executive, LSE in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive, LSE in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional development. Insight into corporate environments at organizations across business domains. Can meet with some of the most respected people in the world for technology. Consultative. Challenging but very possible. Collaborative culture. Competitive but everyone is rooting for each-other, "i want to beat you by 1 pt" type of competitive.

Cons

Very process oriented. Can be exhausting at times but the best practices are there. No need to re-invent wheel to be successful.

Advice to Management

More communication across different business units with feedback would benefit the org

2. "Great place"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Great company. Excellent growth and strong management team.

Cons

none. Great company that is well run

Advice to Management

Great execution.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner (More than a year)

Pros

Modern culture, flexible work environment, great facilities and amenities at work (gym, chefs, pool tables, etc)

You will get a lot of education and exposure with working with enterprise size clients and C-Level executives.

A lot of perks come with the company, great vacations, team days, fun events, and fun quarter closes.

If you like technology and big business, this is a great opportunity. The company is in front of the market and many business's will recruit you as they know people from Gartner are usually among the brightest.

This is a very good company, and they are growing like crazy. I have had a personal bad experience, but I would have worked for the company and done it all again. I would just have hoped to get placed on with a senior manager who was proven and a good leader.

Cons

Huge problem developing people. Academy is a process that is 2+ months long. After going through many interviews, flying around the country, and going through 2+ months of training's, you still might not be a good fit. A lot of people move just for this job, and they do not even know if they will make it through training and a lot of people don't.

Management is a problem, be careful of the bait and switch. In your interview process you will meet with VP and successful members of management, which is who determines if you get the job. However, that will more than likely be your last exposure with them, which I did not realize. When you come out of the Academy, you are going to be at random assigned a manager and a team. You have no control over the types of people or manager you have to report to. My experience was awful, I walked into a team that hated their manager. My mentor was going to quit unless the manager left soon, and 4 of the 7 people on my team left recently because of management issues. I walked into a less than desirable situation and I could do nothing about it.

Many people say people don't quit companies, they quit managers. This is certainly the case at Gartner. The turnover is tremendously high, they will downplay this hard, and many of my peers asked the same questions I did, and you will just feel that they are not being honest. They will want to pitch you and say that it is promotions, don't let them lie to you. Within my first year every person that sat next to me or on other teams around me had changed. Out of the 10-15 people close to me that left, 1 was promoted. They will force a lot of people out, they dont fire, but they put extensive pressure, and it happens a lot.

The problem really is not bad quality candidates or poor training. It is the lack of management. The majority of the managers are rookie managers who are not experienced with people development. Many are under the age of 30, and they simply lack experience of being leaders, they focus solely on being managers and managing numbers.

This is a dial for dollars job. Call Call Call, this is a call center. No matter how much they try to make it look cool or edgy, you need to be very clear on expectations, because the real job is to consistently cold call. The territories have been consistently shrinking has they are bringing in more and more sales people. The list of companies you get to prospect has been contacted many many times, in fact the company is now even switching prospect lists quarterly, so every quarter a new sales rep is reaching out trying to get a sale, which can make for tough cold call sessions and blitz days. The only way to come over that, is to find new start up companies to target, the challenge there is those companies are seeking funding, and you are asking them to spend more money then what they have in hope we can get them help with funding.

On top of switching your prospects, you may have to switch territories often as well. This is not a job where you have a specific territory and you develop and build relationships with people. You have to call and try to get the deal right away. When you do switch prospects or territories you have a few weeks at best to close anything that is already in the works. The problem is often you will get people to reach out to you months later when they are ready. Many sales jobs that is ideal as your efforts eventually pay off, but at Gartner, they are no longer your prospect and you do not get any rights at all to get that business, even if they ask for you it is a battle to get the business to fall your way.

You wont have any good tools for CRM or LMS. Tracking prospects or notes is not going to happen, everything is done via personal notes, which your not going to get once they become your prospect.

You must have spirit to work here. There are so many dress up days and theme days, you must dress up much like high school very regularly to have "spirit" weeks.

Do not get use to your team, change happens so much. There are a few sales employees who have tenure, but not very many at all. In fact many of the people who you will meet with tenure actually had most of that tenure in another role in the company, usually CP, the sales channel does not have that much success keeping people long term.

There are a lot of uncontrollables at this company. Your manager, your team, your territory, your book of business......all of that is something you have no say or control over. All of it impacts your income and longevity with the company.

You should not talk to upper management. When you get out of training, I was told by a lot of people on the floor that you should not talk with upper management on issues. Upper management is great to have fun with and interact with personally, but you should not have business issues discussed with them. Two times I had issues where I had a specific game plan to obtain a business deal, both these times my direct manager told me not to go with my game plan and go with hers instead. Both times her game plan did not work. So when I talked to upper management about the situation he suggested something different, which was the exact plan that I had in the first place, I asked him then how I could better communicate with my manager so we could have avoided this. That was a mistake on my part as that rocked the boat and made for a uncomfortable situation. Both of those examples I was able to save the business, and I felt I should absolutely be able to have a strategic conversation with my VP to better communicate with my brand new manager. But as all of my senior peers advised, don't go to management unless it is a massive huge problem or they ask you in to talk, just don't do it.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. If you get them through all of the interviews, the academy, and up on the floor make sure you are putting leaders in place to develop and retain talent.

Make strategies and plans open to the whole sales floor, you can tell some leaders are trying to spit out the words that they heard in a meeting to the team, but it becomes a game of telephone. Have the VP's hold team meetings, at least once a month with just there 3-4 teams that they over see. Allow the line level employees to understand what changes and shifts are going on, as they are the people who do the work to make impact and move the needle on those topics.

WHY? Why is your turnover so high, why do people not even make it one year? Maybe its all garbage people with garbage sales skills, but that is just to unlikely after all of the work that goes into quality candidates.

I noticed a lot of very intelligent smart people shutting down on the sales floor. Often senior management comes out to talk to teams, but they gravitate only towards the people who are the top 10% performers or who just closed a monster deal. It is not genuine at all, so many great people felt isolated and unworthy because there sales performance was not as good as good as it should be. Why are we not focusing on people development? Give high fives and props, and shoot nerf guns and celebrate with those who are experiencing success. Still make time and get to know the bottom performers, they are people too, and they are your people, be LEADERS, not managers.

This business should have some type of continuing education. There is so much to speak and be knowledgable about with CEO's, prepare some better strategies for sales to continue there education. LMS would be a good start. I often read a lot of key documents that pertained, but some type of structure or knowledge recap would have been helpful and helped me pick up key pain points on the phone.

"Account Executive - Gartner - Fort Myers"

Pros

Respected organization, great benefits/perks and beautiful office. Pay is second to none for those who perform well and par for the course for those that don't. If you're willing to put the work in and stick it out through the learning curve, opportunities truly open up for you.

Cons

Your fate is partially contingent upon your book of business. 80/20 rule very much real here.

Advice to Management

Have more flexibility for people who weren't lucky enough to get good accounts.

5. "Commercial Support Manager"

Current Employee - Commercial Support Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Commercial Support Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upward mobility, autonomy, and great culture. Challenging role but rewarding in the long run.

Cons

A lot of change going on with the sales process and technology within the organization.

6. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Growing company with a great culture. Plenty of opportunities to grow your career.

Cons

No cons at this time.

7. "Amazing Organization"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Progressive, leading-edge. Having the ability to work with business leaders at some of the largest organizations in the world to help them solve problems is quite amazing.

Cons

Usually have to work in one of their big offices - DC, Stamford, Dallas

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, amazing culture, incredibly smart people, excellent leadership, excellent upward growth opportunities

Cons

Pay could be better compared to other tech companies, innovation is starting to get more difficult as the company continues to grow

Advice to Management

Maintain the long term growth mindset. Keep the culture of creativity and maintain the diverse workplace. Invest in innovation and timely acquisitions of companies that align with our core values

"Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture ,Career Advancement, and Training

Cons

Holiday Schedule, Pay, and Communication

10. "Sr. Client Partner"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Gartner has a very collaborative culture where new ideas are encouraged and welcomed. You get to build relationships internally with peers and externally with clients which is great.

Cons

Gartner is a goal oriented company so it is imperative that you are used to meeting/exceeding your goals.

Showing 2,102 of 2,191 reviews