Gartner Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

1,266 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Collaborative culture with a strong emphasis on work-life balance (in 110 reviews)

• Work from home for most of the time (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be much worse in some finance support roles which require uber amounts of overtime (in 60 reviews)

• Middle management in sales is a joke (in 40 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Growing with Gartner"

Current Employee - Vice President in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Been at the company over a dozen years straight out of university and had a promotion every 2-3yrs. Been able to earn good money, travel the world (often on their expense), interact with smart people every day.

Cons

We've been growing quick so constant change and process retooling can get frustrating at times. Don't always pay internal promotions as much as external market would.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner (More than a year)

Pros

Modern culture, flexible work environment, great facilities and amenities at work (gym, chefs, pool tables, etc)

You will get a lot of education and exposure with working with enterprise size clients and C-Level executives.

A lot of perks come with the company, great vacations, team days, fun events, and fun quarter closes.

If you like technology and big business, this is a great opportunity. The company is in front of the market and many business's will recruit you as they know people from Gartner are usually among the brightest.

This is a very good company, and they are growing like crazy. I have had a personal bad experience, but I would have worked for the company and done it all again. I would just have hoped to get placed on with a senior manager who was proven and a good leader.

Cons

Huge problem developing people. Academy is a process that is 2+ months long. After going through many interviews, flying around the country, and going through 2+ months of training's, you still might not be a good fit. A lot of people move just for this job, and they do not even know if they will make it through training and a lot of people don't.

Management is a problem, be careful of the bait and switch. In your interview process you will meet with VP and successful members of management, which is who determines if you get the job. However, that will more than likely be your last exposure with them, which I did not realize. When you come out of the Academy, you are going to be at random assigned a manager and a team. You have no control over the types of people or manager you have to report to. My experience was awful, I walked into a team that hated their manager. My mentor was going to quit unless the manager left soon, and 4 of the 7 people on my team left recently because of management issues. I walked into a less than desirable situation and I could do nothing about it.

Many people say people don't quit companies, they quit managers. This is certainly the case at Gartner. The turnover is tremendously high, they will downplay this hard, and many of my peers asked the same questions I did, and you will just feel that they are not being honest. They will want to pitch you and say that it is promotions, don't let them lie to you. Within my first year every person that sat next to me or on other teams around me had changed. Out of the 10-15 people close to me that left, 1 was promoted. They will force a lot of people out, they dont fire, but they put extensive pressure, and it happens a lot.

The problem really is not bad quality candidates or poor training. It is the lack of management. The majority of the managers are rookie managers who are not experienced with people development. Many are under the age of 30, and they simply lack experience of being leaders, they focus solely on being managers and managing numbers.

This is a dial for dollars job. Call Call Call, this is a call center. No matter how much they try to make it look cool or edgy, you need to be very clear on expectations, because the real job is to consistently cold call. The territories have been consistently shrinking has they are bringing in more and more sales people. The list of companies you get to prospect has been contacted many many times, in fact the company is now even switching prospect lists quarterly, so every quarter a new sales rep is reaching out trying to get a sale, which can make for tough cold call sessions and blitz days. The only way to come over that, is to find new start up companies to target, the challenge there is those companies are seeking funding, and you are asking them to spend more money then what they have in hope we can get them help with funding.

On top of switching your prospects, you may have to switch territories often as well. This is not a job where you have a specific territory and you develop and build relationships with people. You have to call and try to get the deal right away. When you do switch prospects or territories you have a few weeks at best to close anything that is already in the works. The problem is often you will get people to reach out to you months later when they are ready. Many sales jobs that is ideal as your efforts eventually pay off, but at Gartner, they are no longer your prospect and you do not get any rights at all to get that business, even if they ask for you it is a battle to get the business to fall your way.

You wont have any good tools for CRM or LMS. Tracking prospects or notes is not going to happen, everything is done via personal notes, which your not going to get once they become your prospect.

You must have spirit to work here. There are so many dress up days and theme days, you must dress up much like high school very regularly to have "spirit" weeks.

Do not get use to your team, change happens so much. There are a few sales employees who have tenure, but not very many at all. In fact many of the people who you will meet with tenure actually had most of that tenure in another role in the company, usually CP, the sales channel does not have that much success keeping people long term.

There are a lot of uncontrollables at this company. Your manager, your team, your territory, your book of business......all of that is something you have no say or control over. All of it impacts your income and longevity with the company.

You should not talk to upper management. When you get out of training, I was told by a lot of people on the floor that you should not talk with upper management on issues. Upper management is great to have fun with and interact with personally, but you should not have business issues discussed with them. Two times I had issues where I had a specific game plan to obtain a business deal, both these times my direct manager told me not to go with my game plan and go with hers instead. Both times her game plan did not work. So when I talked to upper management about the situation he suggested something different, which was the exact plan that I had in the first place, I asked him then how I could better communicate with my manager so we could have avoided this. That was a mistake on my part as that rocked the boat and made for a uncomfortable situation. Both of those examples I was able to save the business, and I felt I should absolutely be able to have a strategic conversation with my VP to better communicate with my brand new manager. But as all of my senior peers advised, don't go to management unless it is a massive huge problem or they ask you in to talk, just don't do it.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. If you get them through all of the interviews, the academy, and up on the floor make sure you are putting leaders in place to develop and retain talent.

Make strategies and plans open to the whole sales floor, you can tell some leaders are trying to spit out the words that they heard in a meeting to the team, but it becomes a game of telephone. Have the VP's hold team meetings, at least once a month with just there 3-4 teams that they over see. Allow the line level employees to understand what changes and shifts are going on, as they are the people who do the work to make impact and move the needle on those topics.

WHY? Why is your turnover so high, why do people not even make it one year? Maybe its all garbage people with garbage sales skills, but that is just to unlikely after all of the work that goes into quality candidates.

I noticed a lot of very intelligent smart people shutting down on the sales floor. Often senior management comes out to talk to teams, but they gravitate only towards the people who are the top 10% performers or who just closed a monster deal. It is not genuine at all, so many great people felt isolated and unworthy because there sales performance was not as good as good as it should be. Why are we not focusing on people development? Give high fives and props, and shoot nerf guns and celebrate with those who are experiencing success. Still make time and get to know the bottom performers, they are people too, and they are your people, be LEADERS, not managers.

This business should have some type of continuing education. There is so much to speak and be knowledgable about with CEO's, prepare some better strategies for sales to continue there education. LMS would be a good start. I often read a lot of key documents that pertained, but some type of structure or knowledge recap would have been helpful and helped me pick up key pain points on the phone.

3. "Great Company. Good Career Start!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner (More than a year)

Pros

Good management. Willing to work with you to develop your own professional goals.

Cons

Growing rapidly. Some things are getting lost in the cracks.

"Been good till lately, present is OK. Cant predict the future."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sensible BU Management.
    Nice set of people working in most offices

Cons

No growth
    Dried up Salary hikes
    Uncertainty

Advice to Management

Consolidation to an extent is wise.

6. "Great Company, Poor Metrics"

Former Employee - Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gartner truly invests in your future and try their best to promote a healthy work atmosphere.

Cons

The Client Partner metrics can be a crapshoot on a month to month basis. This can be quite frustrating, as these metrics determine how you are compensated.

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Minds, Exceptional Culture and Limitless Opportunities

Cons

I can't think of any - maybe having to park so far away from the building now because of all of the new associates!

Advice to Management

They don';t need any advice from me

8. "Solid company"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Structured, good sales methodology, respect in industry

Cons

Expensive product, nice to have in some cases

9. "Best Place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PTO, the people, the corporate culture, the agenda

Cons

Managing the growth required to meet the demands (It's a good problem to have).

"Account Manager SMB"

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good training/academy to bring you up to speed on the role. Pretty easy job for the most part, as you will rarely need to spend time late at work. Benefits are good in regards to 401k match, health insurance and PTO. Ongoing training in a variety of different areas within IT.

Cons

Far more cons to working at Gartner than Pros. 2.5 years ago, Gartner used to have a great culture (professional) and you could turn to almost anyone for advice. Within the past year or so, there is nothing but frat boys and very young people right out of college. I wouldn't turn to 95% of people here now for advice as they have no clue what they are doing. All territories are looked at as "one in the same", which is the furthest thing from the truth. 90% of your success here is dependent upon your territory. Pay is below average. Making $65K per year for hitting your quote is insane. Account Managers are getting promoted to management roles within a year or less sometimes, some of which are fresh out of college with no sales experience. If you want to go into a field sales role, you better be brown nosing hard and have a good territory. They require (2) years as an account manager and at least (1) Winners Circle. Plenty of people have accomplished this and were kept in the Account Manager role due to upper level management. I personally had a verbal offer for a field position role and upper level management did everything in her power to make sure I couldn't take the opportunity. She found great pride in bashing me to the field managers and VPs when she never even heard me on the phone with a client. Not sure what her incentive was by doing that.

SMB is like a prison. They try to keep you here as long as possible, because once they lose you they have to replace you. They cannot keep up with the turnover rate, as it's >50% right now. They want you to be a puppet to put it simply.

Do not come to work here for SMB. Do not drink the Gartner Koolaid when they tell you how prestigious it is to work here. If you enjoy being micromanaged, gambling on your territory and who you report to and making very little money then this place is for you.

Advice to Management

No advice will fix the circus that is going on. Too much fluff and hype of how Gartner is the best company in the world with "limitless opportunities" as long as you have a "no limits mindset". Quit blaming reps for not making sales all because of not "checking a box" in the value selling framework. Quit making people feel like they are in SMB prison. Start telling new hires that they may move their entire life across the country and they make not make it out of academy. Stop the high school BS.

"Great work from home life balance for many employees"

Current Employee - Executive Partner in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Executive Partner in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner (More than 8 years)

Pros

One of the best benefits for many Gartner employees is the ability to work from home when not visiting clients.

Cons

The metrics culture can often lead to micro-management and limited career opportunities.

Showing 1,266 of 1,304 reviews