Gartner Reviews | Glassdoor

Gene Hall
1,348 Ratings

2,007 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life Balance - Culture of flexibility is promoted that allows us to achieve our work goals while taking care of the personal agendas" (in 186 reviews)

• "Good work life balance (there is a gym onsite in Egham and possibility to work from home from time to time in a lot of roles)" (in 53 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Product organization is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Fast paced, smart and deliberate leadership team.
    Metric-based performance allows for merit-based success and reduces biases.
    Strong culture of helping one another, and relationships are very important here.
    Surrounded by very smart peers; environment of constantly learning and challenging the status quo.

Cons

It's a keep up or fall down culture- you should enjoy spending your time between standing on your toes and flying in mid-air.

Advice to Management

While we constantly strive to innovate, limited reflection time can stifle this. Please help your teams to find the "20" in 80/20.

2. "Growth company with great culture - Product Team"

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall really pleased with my experience at Gartner so far.
    1) Great growth
    - it’s always a good idea to work for a company that’s growing, and fast. Pretty impressive stat for Gartner is the past 30+ quarters had double digit growth. That’s ridiculously good for a billion-dollar + company.
    2) Culture
    - I knew when they brought me onsite for my final round interview that I’d like this job. Everyone is really qualified (top mba’s/consulting background) but humble and friendly. I accepted their offer even with a significant pay differential from another firm and I’m happy I did so far.
    3) Recruitment
    - by far, the best recruiting process I’ve been through. And I’ve been through at least a dozen (consulting/management trainee/etc). Very transparent, feedback-oriented, and great communication.
    4) Many opportunities
    - in any growth company there will always be more work than capacity. You won’t be forced to do more than your role, but you always have the option of doing more. Which is great for learning/exposure.
    5) Relatively flat hierarchy
    - interactions with higher-ups aren’t awkward/formal. They’re nice and human.

Cons

1) Lack of formal on-boarding process
    - there wasn’t really a formal process. If you’re not very proactive then your learning curve and adaption pangs might vary. You also need to reach out to people yourself, but again, everyone is really nice about it. Disclaimer: this only speaks to my role. I’ve heard that there’s a very formal on-boarding program for the sales side.
    2) Huge part of your experience is decided by manager
    - continuing the theme of lack of formal structure, a huge part of your experience will be determined by your boss. Again, there’s no “mean” people that I’ve come across so far. But I’ve been personally blessed with an amazing manager/mentor and I’ve seen some colleagues who don’t get as much coaching as I do. I’ve also heard that some managers keep their relationship at the purely professional level and don’t try to relate to the people under them in a social manner. Some may prefer this.
    3) Compensation slightly below market
    Gartner, as a research + advisory firm, when compared to other jobs in consulting or advisory, pays below market. But when compared to other corporate jobs, its above average. But to be fair, I work +\- 60 hours a week and I know other consultants can work up to 80+ hour weeks. So in that sense, it is fair. However, if I do want to take on more initiatives and push myself harder into that 70+ hour week range, then there’s really zero incentive for me in terms of compensation.

Advice to Management

Keep up your efforts in hiring the right people, culture is great so far! How about some department-wide social activities once a month or once in two months?

Accelerate the roll-out of formalized on-boarding programs for all departments. Look into commuter allowance for employees.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner (More than a year)

Pros

Modern culture, flexible work environment, great facilities and amenities at work (gym, chefs, pool tables, etc)

You will get a lot of education and exposure with working with enterprise size clients and C-Level executives.

A lot of perks come with the company, great vacations, team days, fun events, and fun quarter closes.

If you like technology and big business, this is a great opportunity. The company is in front of the market and many business's will recruit you as they know people from Gartner are usually among the brightest.

This is a very good company, and they are growing like crazy. I have had a personal bad experience, but I would have worked for the company and done it all again. I would just have hoped to get placed on with a senior manager who was proven and a good leader.

Cons

Huge problem developing people. Academy is a process that is 2+ months long. After going through many interviews, flying around the country, and going through 2+ months of training's, you still might not be a good fit. A lot of people move just for this job, and they do not even know if they will make it through training and a lot of people don't.

Management is a problem, be careful of the bait and switch. In your interview process you will meet with VP and successful members of management, which is who determines if you get the job. However, that will more than likely be your last exposure with them, which I did not realize. When you come out of the Academy, you are going to be at random assigned a manager and a team. You have no control over the types of people or manager you have to report to. My experience was awful, I walked into a team that hated their manager. My mentor was going to quit unless the manager left soon, and 4 of the 7 people on my team left recently because of management issues. I walked into a less than desirable situation and I could do nothing about it.

Many people say people don't quit companies, they quit managers. This is certainly the case at Gartner. The turnover is tremendously high, they will downplay this hard, and many of my peers asked the same questions I did, and you will just feel that they are not being honest. They will want to pitch you and say that it is promotions, don't let them lie to you. Within my first year every person that sat next to me or on other teams around me had changed. Out of the 10-15 people close to me that left, 1 was promoted. They will force a lot of people out, they dont fire, but they put extensive pressure, and it happens a lot.

The problem really is not bad quality candidates or poor training. It is the lack of management. The majority of the managers are rookie managers who are not experienced with people development. Many are under the age of 30, and they simply lack experience of being leaders, they focus solely on being managers and managing numbers.

This is a dial for dollars job. Call Call Call, this is a call center. No matter how much they try to make it look cool or edgy, you need to be very clear on expectations, because the real job is to consistently cold call. The territories have been consistently shrinking has they are bringing in more and more sales people. The list of companies you get to prospect has been contacted many many times, in fact the company is now even switching prospect lists quarterly, so every quarter a new sales rep is reaching out trying to get a sale, which can make for tough cold call sessions and blitz days. The only way to come over that, is to find new start up companies to target, the challenge there is those companies are seeking funding, and you are asking them to spend more money then what they have in hope we can get them help with funding.

On top of switching your prospects, you may have to switch territories often as well. This is not a job where you have a specific territory and you develop and build relationships with people. You have to call and try to get the deal right away. When you do switch prospects or territories you have a few weeks at best to close anything that is already in the works. The problem is often you will get people to reach out to you months later when they are ready. Many sales jobs that is ideal as your efforts eventually pay off, but at Gartner, they are no longer your prospect and you do not get any rights at all to get that business, even if they ask for you it is a battle to get the business to fall your way.

You wont have any good tools for CRM or LMS. Tracking prospects or notes is not going to happen, everything is done via personal notes, which your not going to get once they become your prospect.

You must have spirit to work here. There are so many dress up days and theme days, you must dress up much like high school very regularly to have "spirit" weeks.

Do not get use to your team, change happens so much. There are a few sales employees who have tenure, but not very many at all. In fact many of the people who you will meet with tenure actually had most of that tenure in another role in the company, usually CP, the sales channel does not have that much success keeping people long term.

There are a lot of uncontrollables at this company. Your manager, your team, your territory, your book of business......all of that is something you have no say or control over. All of it impacts your income and longevity with the company.

You should not talk to upper management. When you get out of training, I was told by a lot of people on the floor that you should not talk with upper management on issues. Upper management is great to have fun with and interact with personally, but you should not have business issues discussed with them. Two times I had issues where I had a specific game plan to obtain a business deal, both these times my direct manager told me not to go with my game plan and go with hers instead. Both times her game plan did not work. So when I talked to upper management about the situation he suggested something different, which was the exact plan that I had in the first place, I asked him then how I could better communicate with my manager so we could have avoided this. That was a mistake on my part as that rocked the boat and made for a uncomfortable situation. Both of those examples I was able to save the business, and I felt I should absolutely be able to have a strategic conversation with my VP to better communicate with my brand new manager. But as all of my senior peers advised, don't go to management unless it is a massive huge problem or they ask you in to talk, just don't do it.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. If you get them through all of the interviews, the academy, and up on the floor make sure you are putting leaders in place to develop and retain talent.

Make strategies and plans open to the whole sales floor, you can tell some leaders are trying to spit out the words that they heard in a meeting to the team, but it becomes a game of telephone. Have the VP's hold team meetings, at least once a month with just there 3-4 teams that they over see. Allow the line level employees to understand what changes and shifts are going on, as they are the people who do the work to make impact and move the needle on those topics.

WHY? Why is your turnover so high, why do people not even make it one year? Maybe its all garbage people with garbage sales skills, but that is just to unlikely after all of the work that goes into quality candidates.

I noticed a lot of very intelligent smart people shutting down on the sales floor. Often senior management comes out to talk to teams, but they gravitate only towards the people who are the top 10% performers or who just closed a monster deal. It is not genuine at all, so many great people felt isolated and unworthy because there sales performance was not as good as good as it should be. Why are we not focusing on people development? Give high fives and props, and shoot nerf guns and celebrate with those who are experiencing success. Still make time and get to know the bottom performers, they are people too, and they are your people, be LEADERS, not managers.

This business should have some type of continuing education. There is so much to speak and be knowledgable about with CEO's, prepare some better strategies for sales to continue there education. LMS would be a good start. I often read a lot of key documents that pertained, but some type of structure or knowledge recap would have been helpful and helped me pick up key pain points on the phone.

4. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great access to training opportunitites

Cons

Lack of company culture, too corporate.

Advice to Management

Try to organize more networking events.

5. "Rapid growth"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Great people
    Fast-paced, never bored
    Good benefits
    Great reputation

Cons

Getting big fast and the little guy can get left behind
    Lost the sense of family

Advice to Management

I understand the importance of metrics to a business, but the people behind those metics matter a lot more and you have been forgetting that!

6. "Business Development Associat"

I worked at Gartner full-time

Pros

Great leadership, product, benefits,

Cons

Limited growth, product and territory alignment can be confusing

Advice to Management

Focus on younger talent

7. "Intern"

Pros

It was a great work environment

Cons

I did not see any cons

8. "Good job out of college"

Pros

Good benefits and pay
    Good job after college to get some sales training

Cons

Favoritism and cult like atmosphere

9. "Executive Assistant to EVP"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Gartner strives to support their employees to succeed in their career. I work with a group of the most talented, corporate professionals around. Great benefits, great work life balance. In general, the best company I’ve ever worked for.

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

10. "Easygoing workplace"

I worked at Gartner full-time

Pros

Everyone is very career driven, easy going, easy to seek help, and the compensation is phenomenal

Cons

Some of the days can end up feeling pretty long

Showing 2,007 of 2,090 reviews