Gartner Reviews | Glassdoor

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall
1,484 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Relatively good work-life balance" (in 243 reviews)

• "Flexible work from home policies" (in 62 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Field Rep"

Current Employee - Account Executive, LSE in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive, LSE in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional development. Insight into corporate environments at organizations across business domains. Can meet with some of the most respected people in the world for technology. Consultative. Challenging but very possible. Collaborative culture. Competitive but everyone is rooting for each-other, "i want to beat you by 1 pt" type of competitive.

Cons

Very process oriented. Can be exhausting at times but the best practices are there. No need to re-invent wheel to be successful.

Advice to Management

More communication across different business units with feedback would benefit the org

2. "Senior Account Executive"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

The culture at Gartner is amazing. I've never been a part of an organization that sets up salespeople for tremendous success as Gartner does. It truly is a sales environment where everyone has metrics based on the success of salespeople We're consistently growing and showing no signs of stopping. Sales training at Gartner is also top-notch.

Cons

Few to speak of. Some normal growing pains.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner (More than a year)

Pros

Modern culture, flexible work environment, great facilities and amenities at work (gym, chefs, pool tables, etc)

You will get a lot of education and exposure with working with enterprise size clients and C-Level executives.

A lot of perks come with the company, great vacations, team days, fun events, and fun quarter closes.

If you like technology and big business, this is a great opportunity. The company is in front of the market and many business's will recruit you as they know people from Gartner are usually among the brightest.

This is a very good company, and they are growing like crazy. I have had a personal bad experience, but I would have worked for the company and done it all again. I would just have hoped to get placed on with a senior manager who was proven and a good leader.

Cons

Huge problem developing people. Academy is a process that is 2+ months long. After going through many interviews, flying around the country, and going through 2+ months of training's, you still might not be a good fit. A lot of people move just for this job, and they do not even know if they will make it through training and a lot of people don't.

Management is a problem, be careful of the bait and switch. In your interview process you will meet with VP and successful members of management, which is who determines if you get the job. However, that will more than likely be your last exposure with them, which I did not realize. When you come out of the Academy, you are going to be at random assigned a manager and a team. You have no control over the types of people or manager you have to report to. My experience was awful, I walked into a team that hated their manager. My mentor was going to quit unless the manager left soon, and 4 of the 7 people on my team left recently because of management issues. I walked into a less than desirable situation and I could do nothing about it.

Many people say people don't quit companies, they quit managers. This is certainly the case at Gartner. The turnover is tremendously high, they will downplay this hard, and many of my peers asked the same questions I did, and you will just feel that they are not being honest. They will want to pitch you and say that it is promotions, don't let them lie to you. Within my first year every person that sat next to me or on other teams around me had changed. Out of the 10-15 people close to me that left, 1 was promoted. They will force a lot of people out, they dont fire, but they put extensive pressure, and it happens a lot.

The problem really is not bad quality candidates or poor training. It is the lack of management. The majority of the managers are rookie managers who are not experienced with people development. Many are under the age of 30, and they simply lack experience of being leaders, they focus solely on being managers and managing numbers.

This is a dial for dollars job. Call Call Call, this is a call center. No matter how much they try to make it look cool or edgy, you need to be very clear on expectations, because the real job is to consistently cold call. The territories have been consistently shrinking has they are bringing in more and more sales people. The list of companies you get to prospect has been contacted many many times, in fact the company is now even switching prospect lists quarterly, so every quarter a new sales rep is reaching out trying to get a sale, which can make for tough cold call sessions and blitz days. The only way to come over that, is to find new start up companies to target, the challenge there is those companies are seeking funding, and you are asking them to spend more money then what they have in hope we can get them help with funding.

On top of switching your prospects, you may have to switch territories often as well. This is not a job where you have a specific territory and you develop and build relationships with people. You have to call and try to get the deal right away. When you do switch prospects or territories you have a few weeks at best to close anything that is already in the works. The problem is often you will get people to reach out to you months later when they are ready. Many sales jobs that is ideal as your efforts eventually pay off, but at Gartner, they are no longer your prospect and you do not get any rights at all to get that business, even if they ask for you it is a battle to get the business to fall your way.

You wont have any good tools for CRM or LMS. Tracking prospects or notes is not going to happen, everything is done via personal notes, which your not going to get once they become your prospect.

You must have spirit to work here. There are so many dress up days and theme days, you must dress up much like high school very regularly to have "spirit" weeks.

Do not get use to your team, change happens so much. There are a few sales employees who have tenure, but not very many at all. In fact many of the people who you will meet with tenure actually had most of that tenure in another role in the company, usually CP, the sales channel does not have that much success keeping people long term.

There are a lot of uncontrollables at this company. Your manager, your team, your territory, your book of business......all of that is something you have no say or control over. All of it impacts your income and longevity with the company.

You should not talk to upper management. When you get out of training, I was told by a lot of people on the floor that you should not talk with upper management on issues. Upper management is great to have fun with and interact with personally, but you should not have business issues discussed with them. Two times I had issues where I had a specific game plan to obtain a business deal, both these times my direct manager told me not to go with my game plan and go with hers instead. Both times her game plan did not work. So when I talked to upper management about the situation he suggested something different, which was the exact plan that I had in the first place, I asked him then how I could better communicate with my manager so we could have avoided this. That was a mistake on my part as that rocked the boat and made for a uncomfortable situation. Both of those examples I was able to save the business, and I felt I should absolutely be able to have a strategic conversation with my VP to better communicate with my brand new manager. But as all of my senior peers advised, don't go to management unless it is a massive huge problem or they ask you in to talk, just don't do it.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. If you get them through all of the interviews, the academy, and up on the floor make sure you are putting leaders in place to develop and retain talent.

Make strategies and plans open to the whole sales floor, you can tell some leaders are trying to spit out the words that they heard in a meeting to the team, but it becomes a game of telephone. Have the VP's hold team meetings, at least once a month with just there 3-4 teams that they over see. Allow the line level employees to understand what changes and shifts are going on, as they are the people who do the work to make impact and move the needle on those topics.

WHY? Why is your turnover so high, why do people not even make it one year? Maybe its all garbage people with garbage sales skills, but that is just to unlikely after all of the work that goes into quality candidates.

I noticed a lot of very intelligent smart people shutting down on the sales floor. Often senior management comes out to talk to teams, but they gravitate only towards the people who are the top 10% performers or who just closed a monster deal. It is not genuine at all, so many great people felt isolated and unworthy because there sales performance was not as good as good as it should be. Why are we not focusing on people development? Give high fives and props, and shoot nerf guns and celebrate with those who are experiencing success. Still make time and get to know the bottom performers, they are people too, and they are your people, be LEADERS, not managers.

This business should have some type of continuing education. There is so much to speak and be knowledgable about with CEO's, prepare some better strategies for sales to continue there education. LMS would be a good start. I often read a lot of key documents that pertained, but some type of structure or knowledge recap would have been helpful and helped me pick up key pain points on the phone.

"Fine Analyst Career Opportunities for Experienced Professionals"

Current Employee - Senior Director Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Director Analyst

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experienced professionals who have the right mix of on-the-job-experience, thought leadership, and advisory and writing skills will find the analyst job rewarding. You are largely left to yourself to get your work done as you see fit, provided you publish the right cadence of research and offer highly-rated actionable advice to clients. These positions work from home, which provides many benefits. Depending on your area of focus and team, travel isn't onerous and many analysts have some level of control over how much they travel for clients and conferences.

Cons

Raises are modest. Perhaps that's common everywhere, but when leadership applauds your hard work for producing double-digit growth, it is easy to get frustrated with annual increases that match inflation.

Advice to Management

High-performing teams deserve compensation to match. Losing high-quality and experienced analysts may be par for the course, but I fear you are encouraging talent to look and leave with modest annual increases in years with outstanding performance.

Also, initiate more opportunities to listen to employees. There seem to be few to no surveys of the employee base. Do senior leaders have their finger on the pulse of the organization?

"Great people, fun atmosphere, but no consistency"

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love my coworkers, and I have a lot of flexibility in my role.

Cons

The leadership is inconsistent and often not transparent. Metrics are arbitrary and employees are rarely rewarded for hard work.

"Challenging but rewarding"

Current Employee - Client Partner
    Current Employee - Client Partner

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent facilities and benefits, really intelligent coworkers, and the opportunity to work with incredible clients. It is no doubt challenging, and if you don't manage your time well you will work a lot. Done right, though, it's great. I'm never bored and it's exciting (as someone relatively early in their career) to provide advisory services to executives. At least a couple times a week I hear from a client how much my job means to them and makes a difference.

Cons

As mentioned in the pros, the workload is tough. If you have a full territory, you'll be on the phone with 4-6 members a day which is no small feat considering all the prep and follow up work required outside of the calls themselves. Definitely metrics over mission, which can be tough to get other internal partners (read: sales) to understand when our metrics are so different (and often opposite from them).

Advice to Management

Recognize that not all territories are created equal. If one client partner has calls with 100% of their 10 members and another has calls with 90% of 75 members, it makes no sense to be recognizing the first just because they have a perfect score. Percentages tell only a very small part of the story given how unevenly things are divided.

7. "Hardworking Intelligent Professionals"

Current Employee - Content Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Content Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great group of professionals who work together to overcome challenges and deliver world-class summits for executives. Positive work environment with management that truly cares about work/life balance.

Cons

Not enough conference rooms for all the meetings and calls we need to hold. There's an assumption that certain processes are being followed without verification which leads to miscommunication at times.

Advice to Management

Encourage more cross-department interaction and collaboration. Solicit ideas for process improvements from non-leadership staff. Continue to hire people who are open to collaboration and have the best interest of the overall company in mind.

8. "good company"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great product and service and people

Cons

all depends on who you report to...

"Your teams will be the key to your success"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Very collaborative environment with your teams and everyone is always willing to make time to help you out

Cons

Lots of micro managing coming from area managers that can get overwhelming especially coming from newer leaders

Advice to Management

When faced with an underperforming employee need to find a better way to help them out other then setting them up with unrealistic expectations that even your high performing associates can’t achieve

"Under valuing heritage CEB staff"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

Once goal is attained, accelerators are great
    Extremely credible brand
    PTO is generous and isn't differentiated between sick days and vacation - it's simply PTO

Cons

In a sales/account management role, you can't take any PTO at the end of the quarter and forget about PTO in December.
    Management from the heritage CEB side is still young, lots of home-grown managers with no outside experience or ability to more broadly mentor.
    Heritage CEB account managers are under-paid compared to the market place

Advice to Management

Check your pay dependencies and work on employee development, encouragement and mentorship. Not everyone is only motivated by their commission check...
    Why are IC's unable to provide themselves their own formal review of their performance?