Gartner Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9

1,829 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life Balance - Culture of flexibility is promoted that allows us to achieve our work goals while taking care of the personal agendas" (in 177 reviews)

• "Good work life balance (there is a gym onsite in Egham and possibility to work from home from time to time in a lot of roles)" (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • "work life balance could be better" (in 78 reviews)

• "We only have certain business units in Fort Myers" (in 52 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Product organization is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Fast paced, smart and deliberate leadership team.
    Metric-based performance allows for merit-based success and reduces biases.
    Strong culture of helping one another, and relationships are very important here.
    Surrounded by very smart peers; environment of constantly learning and challenging the status quo.

Cons

It's a keep up or fall down culture- you should enjoy spending your time between standing on your toes and flying in mid-air.

Advice to Management

While we constantly strive to innovate, limited reflection time can stifle this. Please help your teams to find the "20" in 80/20.

"Client Service Organization"

Current Employee - Senior Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a part of the client services organization has been excellent! It is a very fast-paced, collaborative and innovative environment where you can learn from your peers and share creative ideas to ensure every client receives the value they expect. The opportunities for growth are endless and Gartner has a great culture to be a part of.

Cons

Can be challenging to get in touch with hard to reach clients, but if you are a persistent person who doesn't give up easily, then you can attain success :)

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner (More than a year)

Pros

Modern culture, flexible work environment, great facilities and amenities at work (gym, chefs, pool tables, etc)

You will get a lot of education and exposure with working with enterprise size clients and C-Level executives.

A lot of perks come with the company, great vacations, team days, fun events, and fun quarter closes.

If you like technology and big business, this is a great opportunity. The company is in front of the market and many business's will recruit you as they know people from Gartner are usually among the brightest.

This is a very good company, and they are growing like crazy. I have had a personal bad experience, but I would have worked for the company and done it all again. I would just have hoped to get placed on with a senior manager who was proven and a good leader.

Cons

Huge problem developing people. Academy is a process that is 2+ months long. After going through many interviews, flying around the country, and going through 2+ months of training's, you still might not be a good fit. A lot of people move just for this job, and they do not even know if they will make it through training and a lot of people don't.

Management is a problem, be careful of the bait and switch. In your interview process you will meet with VP and successful members of management, which is who determines if you get the job. However, that will more than likely be your last exposure with them, which I did not realize. When you come out of the Academy, you are going to be at random assigned a manager and a team. You have no control over the types of people or manager you have to report to. My experience was awful, I walked into a team that hated their manager. My mentor was going to quit unless the manager left soon, and 4 of the 7 people on my team left recently because of management issues. I walked into a less than desirable situation and I could do nothing about it.

Many people say people don't quit companies, they quit managers. This is certainly the case at Gartner. The turnover is tremendously high, they will downplay this hard, and many of my peers asked the same questions I did, and you will just feel that they are not being honest. They will want to pitch you and say that it is promotions, don't let them lie to you. Within my first year every person that sat next to me or on other teams around me had changed. Out of the 10-15 people close to me that left, 1 was promoted. They will force a lot of people out, they dont fire, but they put extensive pressure, and it happens a lot.

The problem really is not bad quality candidates or poor training. It is the lack of management. The majority of the managers are rookie managers who are not experienced with people development. Many are under the age of 30, and they simply lack experience of being leaders, they focus solely on being managers and managing numbers.

This is a dial for dollars job. Call Call Call, this is a call center. No matter how much they try to make it look cool or edgy, you need to be very clear on expectations, because the real job is to consistently cold call. The territories have been consistently shrinking has they are bringing in more and more sales people. The list of companies you get to prospect has been contacted many many times, in fact the company is now even switching prospect lists quarterly, so every quarter a new sales rep is reaching out trying to get a sale, which can make for tough cold call sessions and blitz days. The only way to come over that, is to find new start up companies to target, the challenge there is those companies are seeking funding, and you are asking them to spend more money then what they have in hope we can get them help with funding.

On top of switching your prospects, you may have to switch territories often as well. This is not a job where you have a specific territory and you develop and build relationships with people. You have to call and try to get the deal right away. When you do switch prospects or territories you have a few weeks at best to close anything that is already in the works. The problem is often you will get people to reach out to you months later when they are ready. Many sales jobs that is ideal as your efforts eventually pay off, but at Gartner, they are no longer your prospect and you do not get any rights at all to get that business, even if they ask for you it is a battle to get the business to fall your way.

You wont have any good tools for CRM or LMS. Tracking prospects or notes is not going to happen, everything is done via personal notes, which your not going to get once they become your prospect.

You must have spirit to work here. There are so many dress up days and theme days, you must dress up much like high school very regularly to have "spirit" weeks.

Do not get use to your team, change happens so much. There are a few sales employees who have tenure, but not very many at all. In fact many of the people who you will meet with tenure actually had most of that tenure in another role in the company, usually CP, the sales channel does not have that much success keeping people long term.

There are a lot of uncontrollables at this company. Your manager, your team, your territory, your book of business......all of that is something you have no say or control over. All of it impacts your income and longevity with the company.

You should not talk to upper management. When you get out of training, I was told by a lot of people on the floor that you should not talk with upper management on issues. Upper management is great to have fun with and interact with personally, but you should not have business issues discussed with them. Two times I had issues where I had a specific game plan to obtain a business deal, both these times my direct manager told me not to go with my game plan and go with hers instead. Both times her game plan did not work. So when I talked to upper management about the situation he suggested something different, which was the exact plan that I had in the first place, I asked him then how I could better communicate with my manager so we could have avoided this. That was a mistake on my part as that rocked the boat and made for a uncomfortable situation. Both of those examples I was able to save the business, and I felt I should absolutely be able to have a strategic conversation with my VP to better communicate with my brand new manager. But as all of my senior peers advised, don't go to management unless it is a massive huge problem or they ask you in to talk, just don't do it.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. If you get them through all of the interviews, the academy, and up on the floor make sure you are putting leaders in place to develop and retain talent.

Make strategies and plans open to the whole sales floor, you can tell some leaders are trying to spit out the words that they heard in a meeting to the team, but it becomes a game of telephone. Have the VP's hold team meetings, at least once a month with just there 3-4 teams that they over see. Allow the line level employees to understand what changes and shifts are going on, as they are the people who do the work to make impact and move the needle on those topics.

WHY? Why is your turnover so high, why do people not even make it one year? Maybe its all garbage people with garbage sales skills, but that is just to unlikely after all of the work that goes into quality candidates.

I noticed a lot of very intelligent smart people shutting down on the sales floor. Often senior management comes out to talk to teams, but they gravitate only towards the people who are the top 10% performers or who just closed a monster deal. It is not genuine at all, so many great people felt isolated and unworthy because there sales performance was not as good as good as it should be. Why are we not focusing on people development? Give high fives and props, and shoot nerf guns and celebrate with those who are experiencing success. Still make time and get to know the bottom performers, they are people too, and they are your people, be LEADERS, not managers.

This business should have some type of continuing education. There is so much to speak and be knowledgable about with CEO's, prepare some better strategies for sales to continue there education. LMS would be a good start. I often read a lot of key documents that pertained, but some type of structure or knowledge recap would have been helpful and helped me pick up key pain points on the phone.

"Research Vice President"

Current Employee - Research Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The other analysts. They are brilliant, helpful, and good friends. The ability to collaborate on cutting edge topics. The wonderful customers not only want to listen, but have great feedback as well. It is truly a two way communication and learning experience with customers (both end-user and vendors).

Cons

The quality of life that was a major factor to attract and retain talent is now non-existent, especially in research among the analysts. Many analysts are either leaving or making plans to do so. Others are out on sick leave due to fatigue. The willingness to help others is wavering due to 60-70 hour work weeks.

Advice to Management

Customers respect and want to work with Gartner due to the quality of the analysts and their research. Unfortunately, due to overly burdensome metrics and refusal to understand that the way the current business model is employed, the analysts time and energy are at their breaking limits. It would be great to see some sort of efforts to relieve these burdens and stress .

"Product/ Service Operations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Gartner is a very progressive company with an excellent culture. Collaboration is a key component to our success and Gartner continuously strives for excellence. No matter where you are in the organizational chart, the opportunity to be a change agent is very prominent.

Cons

Parking and overcrowding are major headaches due to our explosive growth. Gartner has a strict policy regarding work from home but it doesn't apply to all business units. It would be nice to be "One Gartner" and for all of us to be treated with the confidence that our work would still get done if we had a couple WFH days per week. The noise level is very loud at times and can lend the perception that we are in a call center to our clients when we are on the phone with them. With that said, I still think Gartner is a top notch organization and 5 stars across the board. Our leadership is phenomenal.

Advice to Management

It would make sense to allow rotating work from home in the Ft Myers offices until the congestion is relieved. The shuttling of managers from an offsite parking location would be unnecessary if the individual teams could work from home offices a couple days per week. Work life balance would improve if they didn't have the additional inconvenience of taking a bus to get to their cars. If they have an emergency, they can wait up to 15 minutes for the shuttle to arrive to take them to their car. If performance concerns are the reason for the policy, address on individual basis and remove the privilege from those who are the offenders. The culture that I mentioned in the "Pros" of this review is slipping because of noise levels and lack of perceived consideration. Parking is extremely frustrating - I had to park across the street at Publix after returning from a mid day doctor appointment.

6. "Great Job, Great Company"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Competitive pay, great work environment, excellent benefits and flexibility, and a high-caliber class of colleagues. A lot of respect is given automatically due to the brand Gartner has built.

Cons

Like all jobs things can get monotonous at times. This business unit has been going through a lot of changes and growth which has its difficulties.

Advice to Management

Top-down strategizing and process implementation has a lot of value, but it's always good to maximize upward feedback from folks on the front lines.

7. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture
    Set path for professional development
    Great Leadership

Cons

Starting employees can't work remotely

8. "Senior Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Remote, OR

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation, benefits, collaboration, job security and job satisfaction!

Cons

Cant think of any to date!

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work!

9. "Good Overall"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture for young people.

Cons

Struggling reps might not get all the support needed.

10. "Great company culture!"

Current Employee - Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The company culture is phenomenal. I have never felt so welcomed and supported coming into a new role.
    -There is incredible growth opportunity. They will be hiring hundreds of positions in the coming years.
    -Compensation, benefits, and paid-time off are all very generous.

Cons

None that I have found so far. This has been a great transition for me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in fostering an excellent company culture and taking care of your employees.

Showing 1,829 of 1,898 reviews