Gartner Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Collaborative culture with a strong emphasis on work-life balance (in 107 reviews)

• You have the option to work from home if you need to and working hours can be flexible (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a bit tough at times (in 57 reviews)

• Middle management in sales is a joke (in 40 reviews)

1. "Research Content Specialist"

Current Employee - Research Content Specialist in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Research Content Specialist in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PTO. Period. They give everyone new 21 days and 9 company holidays. That's really the only pro.

Cons

I would advise anyone who wishes to grow or be professionally developed to not work for the Research Engagement Services Team. Worst department ever. All about numbers and micromanaging. A new lady is in charge of the department and she's awful. They hire external people as managers (with no management experience) to
    run fully developed teams and basically ruin them. Sales walks all over this department. They're very weird about Work at Home, flexible schedules. They try to control everything and micromanage you. They promote people based on how well they input numbers. They blacklist people if they want to purse other opportunities within the company. They make you apply and interview for promotions, instead of giving them based on merit. The VP of the department is so out of touch, I don't even know what he does. I can go on. But honestly, I would avoid working in this department. Go into account management, go into sales, go into events. Stay away. You're treated as a second class citizen when you work in good ole RES.

Advice to Management

Don't hire external people to manage your teams. Promote within. Don't micromanage. Don't preach about quality, but all you care is about numbers. Give your employees more flexibility and treat them well. Give your associates more opportunity to grow. Stop the favoritism.

"Account Executive Events - micromanaged, unrealistic quotas and amateur management team."

Current Employee - Account Executive Events in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Account Executive Events in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Upon first starting I thought the job was very stimulating. You're selling to technology companies all across the US. Learning about different companies and their vision for their company. Meeting with high level execs; CEOs, CMOs, VP of Sales, etc... the pros would be that, the travel and a pretty liberal expense account while on the road. The events themselves although long days are a lot of fun in my opinion. However, the buck stops there.

Cons

Where do I start. Fear based sales environment. Weekly pipeline reviews to go over a non transactional sale. (If I had nothing closing last week for the month its highly unlikely I found $100k in revenue this week). Constantly being threatened with write ups and being put on plan. Total time I've been in this position is about 8 months and I've seen about 15 people quit or being fired, including 2 directors fired and 1 quit. There's only 5 directors in total and about 40 reps in total...

Unrealistic quotas. You inherit a territory that has non renewals, that lost revenue you're responsible for while also growing that territory as well. So let's make these numbers easy. Let's say someone had a territory in 2016, $100 worth of business only $25 resigned and $75 walked. 2017 you get this territory then your quota is $150. So now you're chasing that $75 in lost revenue plus $50 in new business. Because the team had such a bad 2016, 2017 is causing for a lot of chasing lost revenue and everyone seems under plan. What they've done to replace this lost revenue is increased the pricing astronomically every year and it's basically out priced many of the clients.

"The process", management has come up with this 3 call sales cycle that they refer to as the process. This is their way to say they are managing. Any time you are not closing business it's because you're not following the process. If you are following the process and not closing it's because you're not meeting people enough face to face. This is very circumstantial as far as the territory you get. Because the territories are based on the letters of companies... If that doesn't make you run I don't know what else will. There's absolutely no way to establish realistic and comparable territories based on the starting letter of a companies name.

The morale, no one is happy. And I don't mean that as one or two disgruntled sales reps. I mean the entire floor is miserable. They're constantly hiring. This place is a sinking ship, there was a hay day when reps were making multiple 6 figure commission checks in a year, but those days are long gone. But they will tell you that the average rep is making 180k. 2016, 2 reps making winners circle and the rookie of the year was under plan. 2015 almost half the department made winners circle. Do yourself a favor and contact reps before taking this position and pick their brain.

Last but not least, Gartner is an amazing company. People in every other division seem happy. If you're interviewing for an AE role in research ignore this comment completely, but the best advice I can give anyone is stay away from the events team. I will also admit, this is my first review I have ever written, yelp, IMDB, Glassdoor, I am not one to write a review... That's how bad I felt it was. Good luck!

Advice to Management

Stop with the LOC threats, stop with the pipeline reviews and think strategically. Offer a Q2 discount for Sym, or some kind of incentive to get company's signing on the dotted line. We can see that we are not pacing well based on these budget charts you show us, making us fear for our jobs isn't helping. Think outside of the box and more importantly ask the reps what they think would be best since we are in the trenches every day meeting with prospects and clients. You can't realistically look at the fact that only a handful of people are selling and the ones who aren't need to be on plan. You've already lost a lot of good people and I'm sure have many more to come. Good luck!

"This place used to be cool"

Current Employee - Analyst in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Analyst in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, lots of vacation time, great benefits overall.

Cons

The salary isn't worth your soul.

"SLOW DOWN and improve first!"

Current Employee - Finance in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Finance in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

generous PTO and company paid holidays, great pay, annual bonus, 401k matching, charity contribution matching, flextime, full service cafeteria, great location

Cons

This company is growing too big, too fast because top brass only cares about making money, not making employees or clients happy. If you’re not on board with the rate and size that this company aspires to grow, then you have a “fixed mindset” not the “Gartner growth mindset”. There are so many programs and processes that require so much manual intervention that efficiency and quality of work suffer. There are not many checks and balances in these programs to catch mistakes so everyone spends time trying to find and fix mistakes after the fact. For an IT research and advisory company, that is insane! One of the main programs used is over 30 years old and pieced together so that it has grown too cumbersome for them to try to improve. Middle management places their pride over getting the job done quickly so they let themselves become overwhelmed and will not try to delegate or streamline processes in order to better serve our clients. They would rather use a Band-Aid approach and fix the same mistake repeatedly (or not fix it at all) than get to the root of the problem to fix it once. The communication is terrible! Some people are overworked and pushed to get the work done "right now" instead of "right". People in training positions aren’t alerted to useful reference tools that are available, departments make big changes that effect other departments without discussing it with them first and their response is basically, “too bad”. Also, if they see you are a good worker, they will take work away from a lazy, worthless employee and give to you. Meanwhile, the lazy worthless employee will continue to collect a paycheck for years to come. It is difficult to come up with innovative ideas to improve processes because the worker bees are trying to keep their head above water to get their daily work complete.

Advice to Management

Bigger isn't always better! Upper management should visit the Finance team to see how much of a struggle it is to complete the work we have with the subpar programs and processes in place. Improve the systems we have before trying to be the biggest in the industry.

"Don't Believe Their Glassdoor Hype"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Arlington, VA

I worked at Gartner (More than a year)

Pros

Really great products, analysts and experts. Good Pay and Benefits. Thorough training program

Cons

Working here is like being in Dante's 9th Circle of Hell. The turnover is like nothing I have ever seen. I have seen employees with stellar performances and appraisals get fired for no appaarent reason. During the two years I worked there, my entire sales team turned over twice.

The issue is management. This is beyond micro management - more like nano management. I was questioned when I met with a potential recruit for coffee over lunch. Comments were made about using the restroom and why I was there for so long. Every communication that went out to a client or prospect had to be reviewed by my manager. I know a number of my colleagues hated Sunday nights because it meant that you had to go into the office on Monday morning.

Gartner hires seasoned professionals, but they treat them like children. It is hugely demoralizing.

Advice to Management

Lighten UP! Everyone brings something unique to the organization. Rather than trying to change adults, try to take advantage of the individual strengths each one brings to the group and work advance their weaknesses. Insults and intimidations amount to nothing but abuse and bullying

"Not in Federal Biz Unit"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Arlington, VA

I worked at Gartner (More than 10 years)

Pros

When business was booming, it was great.

Cons

Market conditions changed, but management did not adjust. Now they just sit back and fire everyone for their negligence and mistakes.

Advice to Management

Blame yourselves

"Client partner"

Former Employee - Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL

Pros

Regular company benefits like health , 401k , vacations and such...

Cons

This is a call center position ! You will sit on your cube face down and call call and call. People think they are so fancy because they work there but let's be honest !You are a call center rep! This was the most boring job I ever had... Management absolutely terrible worse I ever had! A bunch of inexperienced girls thinking they are the best thing out there . A good manager consists of someone you can trust, that can help you develop , coach and mentor you . Super micromanaged just to show power no concern of coaching . It's either you learn on academy or you won't learn anymore . And the most important thing is if you don't fit in as far as kissing and agreeing with them and being popular you won't have a job . Cannot disagree on anything or just do your job . You have to participate on every little thing your manager asks you to do if you don't your are not a team player . Don't have friends outside of your term - or you are also not a team player . If you like to work like a puppy, micromanaged , call center rep, that talks about status, and is worried more about how you look than actually doing your job then this might be the place for you . Full of recent college grad that think they know what they are taking about , but because of lack of manager support people really do a mediocre job but as long as the client is "engaged" then you think you are a super star . People literally sit there and do nothing all day .. They might have some calls and type some emails and that's it . They pretend to be so busy but they are really not . Boring , learned nothing .

Advice to Management

Promote people that really care about being a manger and not just for status . Managers are good Leaders , coaches and someone that you inspire to be . Not someone that micromanages you by fear so you so everything they tell you like a dog. A good manager is a inspiration person - and honestly I am happy I don't have to see my previous manager again . Because I inspire to be the opposite from what this person is . Inexperience girls that walk around with their laptop pretending to be important . Ask them a question - they probably don't know the answer !!

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executivec in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executivec in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good brand name and they're pretty flexible with working from home.

Cons

There are a lot of cons.

First, in Stamford, the market is completely saturated. You'll be given accounts that are fully-loaded with products and be expected to grow them at a clip of 20% each year. So, you'll be on the defensive doing everything you can to keep people from cancelling or wasting your time trying to sell to people who have no budget or aren't aligned to the service. "Look for different buying centers" you'll hear from management...Outside of IT, you have marketing and supply chain. Once those are exhausted, you can try to look on the business side, but it's a stretch because our research doesn't really align. So, you're SOL.

Second, when you start you experience what I call a "garbage dump." The senior successful AEs drop their dead-weight accounts on you and then you're expected to grow them. You're supposed to see some opportunity in an account that's been worked over for years...

As a side note, that's the only real way to stay successful at Gartner (in Stamford where it's completely saturated). You basically sell and grow an account and then offload it to a new AE when you realize it's gotten to a point where it's either going to stay flat or retract. So, the new AE is left holding the bag (one reason why so many new AEs leave)

The territory you're given is completely at random and mostly at the behest of senior AEs who want to drop dead-weight. Your area manager won't even consider the opportunity or lack of opportunity. There is this ridiculous "no-limit" mindset where management will not acknowledge any issues that prohibit you from growing accounts or the fact that the services no longer align. It's very demoralizing because you're made to always feel like the problem is you.

They keep hiring salespeople and territories keep shrinking. So, if you're an ambitious person who wants to go after new opportunities, you can't...you have to stay in your swim lanes.

For some reason, they hire senior salespeople when they really should just hire telemarketers. The company is all about process and "talk tracks." So, a salesperson who can read people and situations is completely drowned out by a process and checklist for every sales situation.

The company doesn't get your back. If you have a $300K cancellation, you're screwed for the year. Even if you did everything possible, you're SOL.

You will quickly start to resent all of the "Pathway to Gold" emails which are essentially propaganda. They inundate you with people who are successful and you're made to feel like people all around you are locking up big deals. In reality, everyone in Stamford is struggling because the market is saturated and the territories are wayy too small.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the two BDDs in Stamford and distribute those accounts among the AEs who are starving for new opportunities.

Also, have Area Managers actually manage, instead of just act as process-enforcers. They need to actually consider that certain accounts have limitations and support AEs who are struggling. Actually look at accounts before assigning them. I get that all accounts need coverage but, at least, give each AE a mix. For example, if they have one account that is over 250K in CV, give the AE a few at 50K...instead of rolling up metrics (that are made up), get involved in your AEs territory.

"It's getting much worse here and I HIGHLY suspect that the 5 star reviews are written by management."

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Gartner (More than 8 years)

Pros

Intelligent colleagues in the research department.

Cons

The sales department is run like a combination of a call center and a sweat shop. There are literally metrics for everything. They are basically trying to force you to always be working. You have no privacy or freedom and management doesn't trust their staff. If you question the lack of a work/life balance or the micromanagement they even have a pre-made presentation that they do on the fly where they draw a funnel and show you that if you are not always filling the funnel your sales results will drip to nothing. If you're not 22 years old and don't know any better this is a very difficult way to live. In training I felt like I was being hazed. They send you to Ft Meyers for several weeks and you're there on the weekends too unless you want to fly home on your own dime. I don't know how this place ever appears on lists of top employers. Again, I suspect that someone has a connection within management that gets these accolades for them. This company is so far off working for Apple or Google that there is not even a semblance in any way, shape or form to that sort of trusted and nourishing environment. The benefits here are not that good. The CEO is constantly trimming them so the stock price does pretty well but unless you are a C level executive all you will get is access to the ESPP program and no grants or options. The health insurance is bare bones too.

Advice to Management

Gartner now has a bad reputation as a place to work. Writing 5 star reviews to disguise this isn't helping. It's becoming obvious as to what is going on and it just sullies that reputation even further. The company needs a new CEO. Working here feels like you are busting your butt to make a select few like Gene Hall wealthy.

"Things to Ask Your Recruiter"

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Fort Myers, FL

Pros

Great Benefits, and salary while in academy.

Cons

Horrible politics, and location. They need to recruit because half of every academy doesn't work there after a full calander year. Meaning a lot of people stay in Ft Myers due to leases and other obligations. Your manager can make you or break you, so make sure they like you.

Advice to Management

Don't have people go through 3 months of academy and then cut them loose 2 months after being on the floor. Other than ethical violations that just makes no sense. I thought this company would be above the politics, but it is rampant there.

Showing 90 of 1,268 reviews