Gartner Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 6, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be much worse in some finance support roles which require uber amounts of overtime (in 65 reviews)

• Historic/legacy middle management can lack structure (in 44 reviews)

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Arlington, VA

I worked at Gartner full-time

Pros

Great product and wonderful anaysts

Cons

This is a horrible organization to work for. I received fabulous reviews and a raise, but was let go for no reason. Management is a problem and people are diving out the windows to get out of the company . Very high turn-over in sales. Don't believe the hype.

Advice to Management

Grow up

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

excellent products and services, intelligent and knowledgeable analysts

Cons

too many P&L's products and services compete against each other based on department structure and goals

Advice to Management

Do what is right by the clients vs trying to sell them whatever you have

"Solid resume builder, if you're willing to risk your soul/integrity"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager, SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager, SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent first gig for someone fresh out of college and 0-3 years of sales experience.
    Lots of value added "perks" (overcrowded gym, lunch options in overcrowded cafeteria, valet parking that everyone collectively dislikes, etc)
    Opportunity to network with C-level executives.
    Once every quarter Gartner buys lunch/pizza/food (so that they can guilt you into staying until midnight to wait on a contract that was going to come in anyway)

Cons

Oh dear, where to begin.. my advice to potential candidates is that if it SEEMS to good to be true, it probably is. The SMB channel is going through some major growing pains to try and meet it's goals for it's sales force and it's just not a good time to join.

First, OTE and WC achiever numbers seem largely inflated by HR during the hiring process. When they flash you with the earning and "limitless opportunity" I would press them on:
    - how many associates hit those numbers on a full year quota.
    -the average CV amounts of the associates that hit WC
    -what geographic territories they support

BECAUSE, You have absolutely no say in what your book of business looks like or what territory you manage. You won't know what it is until you join the sales floor. A large part of the success at Gartner is greatly determined by territory. and not all territories are created equally.. Compelling to see how many people in the top 50 and 100 on the stack ranking are actually managing what Gartner considers an average territory size. Prospecting territories keep getting broken into smaller pieces (you might get to share 5 letters of the alphabet with 8 other people on your team) while quotas remain constant or increase.

If you do successfully make it past two years here, but aren’t in the SMB "in crowd" (friends with VP's, related to VP's or friends of VP relatives), or have zero desire to stay in the SMB Ft Myers office, there’s actually very limited opportunity here for you. They talk up a lot of big game about the promotion culture here but from what I've experienced it's a bunch of hot air and an apparent excuse for your direct leadership to use as a weapon to bully you into putting Gartner before literally all other aspects of your life. Further, if you want to make the jump to Field, or god forbid anything non-sales, be prepared to do a lot of that leg work yourself because SMB is weirdly elusive about you leaving this channel.

Culture is essentially a continuation of university Greek life which can be a good thing if you enjoy drinking as a form of networking with your peers, Spirit weeks, and dressing up in the name of driving NCVI during said spirit weeks.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the sand and recognize that your system as it stands, is broken. Actually look at the data that's causing the stagnation of numbers across the sales floor and stop blaming it on attitude and mindset of the individual AE’s. Actually invest in your people instead of putting up smoke and mirrors and perhaps the turnover rate will go down, you will have less open territory to cover and client retention will improve.

"Account Manager - SMB"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Had a great recruiting coordinator.
    Interview process was very organized and they prepare you well to succeed at getting this job.
    A lot of benefits offered which they frequently highlight so you're sucked in to work there.

Cons

This is not a company you want to work for. They speak very highly of how good the job and company is but upper management is very cut throat. I received an offer from Gartner, which I did not accept and they did not respect my decision to choose a different career path. Best decision I've ever made because I do not want to work for those kind of people who treat me as just another number within their company.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and recruits. Do not burn bridges. Need to evaluate upper management.

"Racist Racist Racist"

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great career and resume builder

Cons

Company is at least 90% white men

Advice to Management

Maybe worry about your racist hiring instead of your 4 hour rule.

"The Truth"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only PROs about Garner is their research, analysts and the Gartner. brand.

Cons

The foundation to selling a Gartner Solution is built upon a trusted relationship that takes time to build. Gartner's go to market strategy for a Field AE position is built upon a "acquisition and transactional" strategy. It simply does not work. It is like running a marathon in a pair of HIGH HEEL SANDALS.

The account lists "CV, Contract Value" for each AE is around $1 million. They instructed us to do nothing but "Cancel ReWrites" to generate more growth. So, you go back to clients over and over and ask the to "renew" and add more licenses for growth. An AE cannot operate in an "acquisition" mentality with the small account territories.

My clients felt that Gartner's annual rate increase of 3-5% is a joke. We charge them more for the same stuff.

Also, the "Executive Programs Leadership Team" Solution is filled with a lot of hot air. The client spends a lot of money with not a whole lot to show for it. My CIOs shared this with me.

I left for I no longer believe that Gartner is headed in the right direction from a go to market sales perspective and I did not want my personal brand to be negatively impacted.

Advice to Management

Tell Gene Hall that Field AEs need to be managed in a manner that supports a long term, relationship driven and mutually benefiting sales environment. We are not selling a whole bunch of products we are selling 1. So, I either needed more accounts to hunt or more products to sell to my small base of 3 clients.

"Experienced Sales Professionals Beware"

Former Employee - Account Executive SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to learn from for recent college grad or a salesperson with 0-3 years relevant experience.

Cons

- No consistency in territory planning. AE's are stack ranked as if they have the same type of territory which is very untrue. This drastically affects the compensation, morale, and promotion track for those who are working hard in a difficult territory of one-year deals that were sold a intangible dream that Gartner could never help them to achieve, whereas those in a territory filled with multi-year deals, are seen as "top performers" although they had nothing to do with their own "success" and often have no true skill.
    - Area Managers are often those who were "top performers", but lack true management skills, real life business and sales experience, and often-times even common sense.
    - End of Quarter work life balance - this channel expects sales people to stay until mid-night on quarter closes with no additional compensation and no regard to family or personal obligations.

Advice to Management

- Sell for quality not quantity or risk diminishing the brand name
    - Invest in significant training for Area Managers, especially those that have never managed people or have never worked outside of Gartner SMB
    - Take a closer look at the territories to see who is truly working for their commissions versus who is coasting on a book of multi-year deals

"SMB sales channel with toxic culture & biased management"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great base salary & on-target earnings for recent college grads/ a salesperson with 0-3 years relevant experience. They also offer a negotiable relocation package.

Cons

Many times young talent is the most economical talent to hire. However, hiring so many recent college grads has created an office culture that tends to feel like a frat house. Recruiters sell you on a 2 year promotion track that is not likely to materialize unless you find a way to be a golden child in the eyes of VPs.

Additionally they recruit people to pick up their lives and move to Fort Myers for the role, but then fire some before they are ever out of the training academy.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that not all talented leaders look the same or have the same style. Work to remove the frat house feel of the SMB sales office... it can be fun to be social with coworkers but is inappropriate that the entire channel parties together and dates one another

"Client partner"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay but money is not everything

Cons

A lot of fluff and millennial s that need some experience of the real world

Advice to Management

I’m not even sure if management has figured out their job description other than being critics over the few that are actually working

"Nepotism saturated frat house"

Former Employee - Finance in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Finance in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time

Pros

Medical is decent and 401 k match is decent. If a leader likes you, guaranteed series of promotions. But you have to be white.

Cons

Micro managers in ft myers. HR is bffs with leaders and decision makers. Leaders will block you from advancement across the company if they dont like you. Unethical and illegal hiring practices.

Advice to Management

Stop discriminating against minorities

Showing 123 of 1,571 reviews