Gartner Reviews | Glassdoor

Gartner Reviews

Updated November 21, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be much worse in some finance support roles which require uber amounts of overtime (in 64 reviews)

• Historic/legacy middle management can lack structure (in 44 reviews)

"Research VP"

Former Employee - Vice President of Research in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President of Research in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, collaborative environment, exposure to many different IT topics

Cons

Very IT focused, a bit political, very metrics driven, a bit controlling

Advice to Management

Make metrics relevant,

"Management by spreadsheet"

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Defined playbook, lots of middle management to work with, good place if you want to be told specifically how to do your job and enjoy micromanagement

Cons

Does not respect new ideas or out of the box thinkers, middle managers are not leaders but box checkers, does not put client first

Advice to Management

Cultivate leaders not managers, respect out of the box thinking, bigger doesn't always mean better, listen more closely to clients on what's working and what's not working.

"Depends on the department"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, PTO (20+), Nice Campus, exposure to new technology, lots of smart people to learn from.

Cons

favoritism, no a lot of training provided, growth opportunities limited even though HR says otherwise.

Advice to Management

Promote people for their merits and stop the favoritism and its who you know mentality.

4. "Senior Account Executive"

I worked at Gartner full-time

Pros

Great brand and terrific analysts.

Cons

Disingenuous sales leadership, highly political culture, everyone in sales management is looking to get ahead.

Advice to Management

You can't argue with their success....

"Client Partner"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Work Environment and the amenities

Cons

Call Center with no real set goals. The bonus they tell you about at the end of the year is not obtainable.

Advice to Management

Train your new hires, do not just hire then say you went through the academy you should know everything.

"Business Development Coordinator"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Gartner as an intern

Pros

- Gartner has incredible work/life balance
    - They do not have call quotas and allow you to work autonomously to meet your goals
    - Gartner has a great reputation in the marketplace
    - The people there are relaxed, focused, and very easy to get along with
    - Fort Myers is a relaxing town, but many people dislike the smaller population and city

Cons

- Gartner prides itself on being unbiased, many account executives feel it is biased
    - They do not use a proper CRM, so many times you may call on people that you shouldn't (including current clients)
    - After I was extended an offer, they only gave you three weeks to accept it going into your Senior year. This makes me feel they cannot compete in the marketplace if given proper time to talk to other companies.
    - A lot of employees are too focused on partying
    - Turnover rate is extremely high
    - I was told if you disagree with your manager as a full-time employee, you will be asked to leave
    - On one side, the service has no hard ROI/proven record that it'll increase revenue so many small companies have a hard time justifying a purchase
    - Account executives only switch their call list and continuously call the same people all year round

"Sales"

I worked at Gartner full-time

Pros

Often brilliant colleagues, especially in research, offering the opportunity to learn something new every day. Great brand and a great deal of autonomy - many positions are remote.

Cons

Political culture with lots of favoritism for those who play the rah-rah game well. Very little tolerance for new ideas or different points of view.

Advice to Management

More diversity! Embrace feedback from employees. Institute 360-degree reviews to get superior talent into influential positions and see better results in various business lines.

"Thriving company, but I was mismanaged"

Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment
    Fast paced
    Benefits and Bonuses
    Nice office perks like standing desks and several meeting spaces
    Occasional employee events/happy hours
    Free shuttle from train station
    I personally thought our products were the coolest things out there

Cons

Unsettling resignations and firings of C-level about a year ago
    Cafeteria food is expensive
    IT teams were often micromanaged by business teams, made work flow more chaotic
    Often, answers to avoidable problems were "that's just the way it is"
    I was mismanaged

Advice to Management

The flexibility to work on different projects in IT. I was working in a small team of two. I quickly found myself in an unhealthy working situation with my only coworker and wanted to do something about it. I submitted a formal complaint and management was swift to respond. The first step was working with my manager, HR, and said coworker to resolve any conflicts. However, these efforts were unsuccessful and the team dynamic continued to deteriorate. When concerns were brought up again and again, no other tactics were used to relieve tensions. I felt uncomfortable coming to work most days and often did not work at my own desk because I sat next to said coworker. As an Associate Software Developer, I possessed skills which were widely universal and useful for any IT team. I would have happily continued working at Gartner if this issue was resolved or if I was assigned to a new team, but unfortunately the issue persisted for over 6 months and I eventually quit.

"Luck of the draw"

Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is invested in your success. The people are what is amazing about this organization. There is also a wealth of opportunity if you are able to achieve your set goals.

Cons

The sheer growth and mentality that the SMB office has is creating a bubble (which will inevitably pop). Smaller prospecting territories, unchanged quotes to take into account shrinking opportunity and a complete crap shoot when it comes to the accounts you are given.

Advice to Management

Weigh the accounts that you are giving the AE's, and distribute quotes that relate to what is and what is not tangible. Fairness goes a long way in this lucky, cyclical business we call sales.

"Great Work Culture is Declining."

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

The people that work here are amazing. They create a culture and atmosphere that makes you want to come in to work every day. Couple that with an amazing and understanding Manager and you have a great place to work. That culture is declining and little by little all those good people are leaving.

Cons

Too many layers of management and they only keep adding more. No career advancement opportunities. Not enough headcount. HR is very slow to process anything. Upper Management is too far removed. Compensation is sub--par. Benefits are ok.

Showing 267 of 1,537 reviews