Gartner Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7

1,475 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be much worse in some finance support roles which require uber amounts of overtime (in 64 reviews)

• Historic/legacy middle management can lack structure (in 44 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Growing with Gartner"

Current Employee - Vice President in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Been at the company over a dozen years straight out of university and had a promotion every 2-3yrs. Been able to earn good money, travel the world (often on their expense), interact with smart people every day.

Cons

We've been growing quick so constant change and process retooling can get frustrating at times. Don't always pay internal promotions as much as external market would.

"former gartner employee"

Former Employee - Consultant in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Consultant in Stamford, CT

Pros

education and training in technology

Cons

management turnover is high and they change too much

Advice to Management

enhance shareholder value by looking at opportunities

"Gartner - A Great Culture, Great People and Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst in Denver, CO

Pros

Gartner has a great reputation and brings respect to the employees wherever they go. They do a good job of setting job expectations and monitoring progress toward those objectives. They treat their analysts well and expect great things from them. The Gartner culture values real thought leadership without creating analysts with giant egos.

Cons

Ironically, internal technology does not facilitate collaboration, cooperation or efficiency. Like in many companies, the IT department has created a separate software application for virtually every task employees do to complete their job. While there is significant progress toward improving this, there is still a long way to go.

Advice to Management

Read the advice of the analysts and look toward how analytical products will be delivered in the future.

"Gartner is great if you are collaborative, self-starter/self-managing, and driven to excel"

Current Employee - Executive Partner in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Executive Partner in Washington, DC

Pros

Ability to work with industry thought leaders, great management team, autonomy and sufficient direction to do what I do best, highly collaborative envirnoment, working with clients and industryc leaders, providing actionable advice and truly helping our customers. The opportunity for career growth is unbelievable, this truly can be a lifetime career choice (single employer). Ability to work in an intellectually challenging and learning and growth environment provides unparalled job satisfaction. Comraderie among employees and across business units is unmatched. Management truly cares about it's members and employees and subscribes to Gallop management practices vis a vis annual employee surveys. Best envirnoment I have ever worked in IT industry.

Cons

long hours and working weekends/holidays at times, but job satisfaction worth the investment.

Advice to Management

Provide stock options to all employees

"Good place to work - stimulating research environment"

Former Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT

Pros

Garner has great people who are experts in their field and are willing to help and share their knowlege. Stimulating environment and well defined research peer review. The teams stimulate opinions and inspire well thought out research. The company is very multinational comprised of global teams and ideas are shared across all geographical boundaries. This provides an excellent global input to discuss and predict events and trends.

Cons

Changing management directions and styles have led to confusion and frustration. Good ideas were put on hold, while the leadership reversed direction, then took up a new challenge. Management concentrates on their own short term goals. This direction seems to be under more control of late, but one wonders if history soon will be repeated.

Advice to Management

Read your own research and listen to your analysts.

"High performing business and great place to work"

Current Employee - Stamford-Based Associate in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Stamford-Based Associate in Stamford, CT

Pros

Hard charging and flexible work environment

Cons

Remote workforce adds to complexity of getting things done -- however, we have the tools to facilitate this balance

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the envelope on developing new market opportunities and expanding our sales reach

"Gartner - Strong Senior Management; Even Stronger Analysts"

Current Employee - Vice President and Research Director in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Vice President and Research Director in Stamford, CT

Pros

Gartner offers its analysts a great brand which opens doors to the highest level of corporate influencers and decision makers. If you like to learn, and provide value to customers, this is the greatest job on Earth.

Cons

Lack of change in middle management over the years has created a substrate of mediocrity. Our new CEO is great, but a lot of the poor performers remain from previous executive teams. Constantly changing directives and strategies - the middle managers behave as if they're in a B-school exercise instead of being responsible for shareholder enrichment and employee growth.

Advice to Management

The top analysts do the lifting for a number of under-performing assets.
    Get an external review of the Product Management organization.

"I like it a lot"

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

Pros

work life balance is great. super people. I think that hte opportunity to be part of hte largest IT consulting firm add a lot to my credentials. We are a global company and I think that also adds value and respect. We are diversified and treat everyone quite fairly, without regard to race, gender, etc. I really like working with senior clients. It is exposure you can ont get many other places

Cons

can be too theroetical. Otherwise, I thinkwe are a great, great company

Advice to Management

keep building a strong team. you are doing well. I hope we can another product/service line in the near futher. Lots of new technologies should allow us to grow even more as the economy improves.

"Best Place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in San Jose, CA

Pros

Gartner is one of the best places I have ever worked for. The executive team is extremely bright and knows how to motivate people. If you have an opportunity to come work here I would highly recommend moving forward.

Cons

If I had to find a con, I guess it would be trying to figure out how to utilize all the resources internally.

Advice to Management

An in-depth analysis of territories. As expected, quotas increase without getting anything added to the territories. Would love to see if there is a way to revamp the territories on the west coast.

"Great organization for sales professionals, not an environment to develop domain expertise."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Gartner is all about the sales organization. The company offers a good salary with good rewards for overachievement. Gene Hall, CEO, wants to double the size of the sales organization so there is definitely opportunity for growth.

Cons

As the organization is growing rapidly, the strategy is all about how to make sales people more effective. There isn't an equal focus on adding analysts, consultants, program leaders or back office support. Sales executives are not expected to gain domain knowledge over time, just become better sales people who sell more services.

Advice to Management

There are many sales managers that take a different approach to sales management. Make it more interesting for account executives to move into management. Provide training to sales professionals that goes beyond just better sales techniques.

Showing 1,475 of 1,532 reviews