Gartner Reviews | Glassdoor

1,398 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,398 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Collaborative culture with a strong emphasis on work-life balance (in 130 reviews)

• Work from home for most of the time (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be much worse in some finance support roles which require uber amounts of overtime (in 63 reviews)

• Historic/legacy middle management can lack structure (in 45 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company name, smart people, highly ethical, great work life balance

Cons

Back end systems are immature, management is often new due to fast growth and success

"Drowning in its own Kool-Aid"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Benefits are decent, it's a global organization, and there are some truly smart, dedicated people still working at Gartner.

Cons

Employees are constantly looking over their shoulder, waiting for the next shoe to drop. There are random re-orgs every quarter, and good people disappear, and in most cases it appears that changes are effected simply so senior management can say it's doing something to deliver some amorphous "client value." This company constantly overpays to buy out smaller companies that we can't beat at their games, and then drives their products/services into the ground. I also don't know of any other company that so wantonly stack-ranks employees, so even great talent is regularly pushed out. Or, as has been the case during the past few years, great talent just flees - in droves! But every quarter, we're subjected to a rah-rah horse-and-pony show, during which the message is invariably "We're doing great - work harder!" Then comes bonus season, and you're given a pittance, while the OC and senior-senior management reaps the spoils. Associate turnover is off the charts, and a lot of it has to do with the fact that Gartner is drowning in a flavorless vat of blue Kool-Aid.
    Stay away. I'm working on it.

Advice to Management

Get with the times, show respect for associates at ALL ends of your convoluted org chart, and stop paying less attention to the pulse of your workforce than you do to the stock price.

"If you're in IT, look somewhere else."

Current Employee - Senior Linux Systems Engineer in Trumbull, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Linux Systems Engineer in Trumbull, CT

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good vacation. Lots of strong talent who has been with Gartner for many years. Good benefits. Decent work / life balance.

Cons

IT jobs are being migrated to Gurgaon, India to save on payroll. Beware, this is another American company screwing American workers. Shame. Working remotely from home not an option.

Advice to Management

Migrating the entire IT stack (read: business engine) to AWS without a solid understanding of AWS is risky but possible with a full-court press by the IT staff. Closing the Trumbull office where these IT folks work relocating 20% of those willing to move to Texas in the middle of the AWS effort seems reckless and counterproductive. 80% jobs going to India. Best of luck with that.

"Client Services Organization"

Current Employee - Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid PTO policy, competitive pay, good benefits. Your coworkers are some of the smartest people you'll ever interact with. Senior Leadership provides the best shoulder rubs

Cons

Metric driven world, the mission mindset is dead. You will be stack ranked up, down, left, and sideways against 5-6 different measurements both inside and outside of your control. If you stack ranked well and management favors you, promotions are endless. Otherwise youll be pigeon holed into a CP role forever or worse put on a performance plan...

Advice to Management

The new fear based metric driven leadership is unimpactful. There is a reason your top talent is running to Premium Services. Get a grip on the culture shifts that are causing this trend

5. "Busting at the Seams"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Growing company. Challenging and fun culture. Lots of perks in the Ft. Myers office.

Cons

Sales and research can work remote, but service cannot. No desks for the newest hires.

Advice to Management

Think about letting people work remote. How unwelcoming to bring in a new hire without a desk?

"Sales"

I worked at Gartner full-time

Pros

Often brilliant colleagues, especially in research, offering the opportunity to learn something new every day. Great brand and a great deal of autonomy - many positions are remote.

Cons

Political culture with lots of favoritism for those who play the rah-rah game well. Very little tolerance for new ideas or different points of view.

Advice to Management

More diversity! Embrace feedback from employees. Institute 360-degree reviews to get superior talent into influential positions and see better results in various business lines.

"Thriving company, but I was mismanaged"

Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment
    Fast paced
    Benefits and Bonuses
    Nice office perks like standing desks and several meeting spaces
    Occasional employee events/happy hours
    Free shuttle from train station
    I personally thought our products were the coolest things out there

Cons

Unsettling resignations and firings of C-level about a year ago
    Cafeteria food is expensive
    IT teams were often micromanaged by business teams, made work flow more chaotic
    Often, answers to avoidable problems were "that's just the way it is"
    I was mismanaged

Advice to Management

The flexibility to work on different projects in IT. I was working in a small team of two. I quickly found myself in an unhealthy working situation with my only coworker and wanted to do something about it. I submitted a formal complaint and management was swift to respond. The first step was working with my manager, HR, and said coworker to resolve any conflicts. However, these efforts were unsuccessful and the team dynamic continued to deteriorate. When concerns were brought up again and again, no other tactics were used to relieve tensions. I felt uncomfortable coming to work most days and often did not work at my own desk because I sat next to said coworker. As an Associate Software Developer, I possessed skills which were widely universal and useful for any IT team. I would have happily continued working at Gartner if this issue was resolved or if I was assigned to a new team, but unfortunately the issue persisted for over 6 months and I eventually quit.

8. "Great place to start a career!"

I worked at Gartner full-time

Pros

Great room for growth and career advancement

Cons

Sometimes lack training structure after initial training

Advice to Management

Keep putting your employees first

"Great company depending upon channel"

Former Employee - SMB Sales in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - SMB Sales in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

25 days PTO, formal training opportunities, upward and lateral mobility for high achievers, good health insurance and stock options

Cons

Highly political, unprofessional, middle management lacks accountability, clique-y

Advice to Management

The SMB channel is unprofessional. There are undeserving area managers in positions of power who don't do their jobs - complacent and making a lot of money. Seen many instances of vindictive supervisors pushing out talent. There should be a zero tolerance policy for workplace bullying. There are a group of SMB areas managers terrorizing employees, forcing them out and costing the company a fortune.

10. "Great company with growth opportunities"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

The company is growing which means there is a lot of room for personal growth within the company. In my personal experience there have been multiple times management has went above and beyond to show their appreciation for their team.

Cons

Gartner is growing very fast and they can't get new hires in the door and trained fast enough. Their process takes time and so does training for each role. During this time current employees have double the work load.

Showing 1,398 of 1,453 reviews