Gartner Reviews | Glassdoor

1,398 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,398 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Collaborative culture with a strong emphasis on work-life balance (in 130 reviews)

• Work from home for most of the time (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be much worse in some finance support roles which require uber amounts of overtime (in 63 reviews)

• Historic/legacy middle management can lack structure (in 45 reviews)

"SMB Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started working here right out of college. I had no intention on accepting a position with Gartner once they offered to fly me out to FL. I decided to interview with them anyways and fell in love with the company. I've never seen a company care about their talent as much as Gartner. They truly want you to be a part of their team and aren't afraid to show it. Once in the role, the training team and leadership are nothing but supportive. They encourage collaboration and there are plenty of great minds to pick from. On top of that, you ware recognized for your success. From Winner's Circle to quarterly region meetings, Gartner goes out of its way to recognize and reward your success. Amazing opportunity to work here and develop yourself as a professional.

Cons

The only cons I have are with the training. Gartner does a phenomenal job training its employees. However, with 60-75 new hires during the summer academies, it's hard to get one on one time with your trainers.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop your current employees and provide the opportunities for their growth. This is a fantastic company with unlimited opportunity.

2. "Great company with growth opportunities"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

The company is growing which means there is a lot of room for personal growth within the company. In my personal experience there have been multiple times management has went above and beyond to show their appreciation for their team.

Cons

Gartner is growing very fast and they can't get new hires in the door and trained fast enough. Their process takes time and so does training for each role. During this time current employees have double the work load.

"Abusive work environment"

Former Employee - SMB Sales in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - SMB Sales in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young people can "move up" into management positions quickly - if they are high performers PLUS part of the "in" group.

Cons

Racist and sexist at all levels. Managers make racially charged jokes in front of large groups. Comments made about pregnancy. Treated differently when I got pregnant and was bullied out. Fratty "bro" culture normalized, and intellect devalued on the SMB sales team. They want you young, dumb, and compliant. SMB sales roles not structured to be compatible with family life. Bullying normalized.

Advice to Management

Watch yourselves, or you'll be sued one of these days. It is not okay for your high performers (or any employee, for that matter) to be bullied out of the company. Managers need to be held accountable to be stewards of a professional environment. Much of SMB sales is run by a bunch of greedy, entitled brats who lack the life experience and emotional intelligence necessary for leading a world-class sales team. They don't realize the opportunity in front of them and take their success for granted and regularly abuse associates with their power. VPs need to be dismissed if they are spewing racist and sexist comments and stop perpetuating this uncomfortable work environment. Employees who are not 25, white, and single frat bros should not feel uncomfortable coming to work everyday.

"So far so good"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seems to be a great company with room for growth. Training is a pro and a con. Very long (realistically could be cut much shorter) but a lot of good information sprinkled in. Getting to work with CxOs at large corporations is very inspiring and rewarding. Also having an existing customer base is amazing because we get to develop relationships and sell services that deliver actual value. Very little cold calling and straight pitching.

Cons

They pay based of your previous earnings, not the value of the actual role - so you could potentially be making significantly less than your peers even if you outperform.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in smart people; but the AE training can be cut a little shorter - 5 weeks was a little excessive. Also, promote more equal pay practices. It can be a bit discouraging to find out peers are making upwards of 30%-50% more while in the same role and responsible for the same quota.

"Luck of the draw"

Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is invested in your success. The people are what is amazing about this organization. There is also a wealth of opportunity if you are able to achieve your set goals.

Cons

The sheer growth and mentality that the SMB office has is creating a bubble (which will inevitably pop). Smaller prospecting territories, unchanged quotes to take into account shrinking opportunity and a complete crap shoot when it comes to the accounts you are given.

Advice to Management

Weigh the accounts that you are giving the AE's, and distribute quotes that relate to what is and what is not tangible. Fairness goes a long way in this lucky, cyclical business we call sales.

6. "Metrics driven objective culture"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Metrics driven culture, collaborative employees, growth company with great benefits and competitive salary. Ability to work from home with no commute and to talk to clients in near every industry and region. Smart colleagues who you can learn from!

Cons

Lack of face to face interaction. Working from home full time can lead to sitting for long hours with limited exercise. It is important to develop a routine to stay active. The learning curve for the job is also quite steep if you were in a practitioner role prior. Bonus structure could be better, but we have less politics and bureaucracy to deal with so in the end it is worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, and invest more in primary research to provide more relevant evidence to cite in our notes.

"Drank the Kool Aid, Now Hungover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time

Pros

Health insurance was okay. Not the worst cubicles.

Cons

Where do I begin?

Gartner really seems like the "dream" job. I sure believed it to be, so I know there is a good chance that this will have little effect on those reading this. But it is something I have needed to write for a while.

I was so happy the moment I found out I got the job at Gartner. They were relocating me for an inside sales position after a grueling interview process and I remember feeling extremely excited and proud that I had made it to such an amazing company. (So excited in fact, that I didn't even care that the relocation check didn't cover half of what it ended up costing me to move, or that I was completely on my own in finding a place to live - having never been to the area before).

But money wasn't the issue (at first). I knew I would have to work hard to be successful - and that was not a problem.

Management was the problem.

I was immediately placed with an extremely incompetent "leader." Someone who's primary and only goal was their own success, regardless of who they had to throw under the bus to get there (which ended up being the entire team over time - until the manager was finally let go as well).

But I worked hard and did extremely well. I kept drinking the "kool aid", and found myself repeating sentences like "Oh yeah, it's great! Great work life balance, PTO, a gym, a cafe.." whenever anyone asked how Gartner was. I'd still find myself repeating it even after I had realized the food was crap, the gym had the worst equipment, and no one could even use their PTO when they wanted to.

Eventually I was miserable, but I just couldn't admit it to myself. It was like I found myself in a toxic relationship, afraid to leave because of what everyone else would think, and more afraid I wouldn't find anyone better.

Long story short - I realized the problem stemmed from even higher up. The manager's boss was just as incompetent, and his boss, even worse. When a leader sits in an office within the same vicinity as their entire chain below them, and does not once bother to walk through the sad little rows of cubicles for a single word of encouragement - you know you have a serious issue.

And the denial! Denial (or just pure avoidance rather) infected the entire floor like the plague. If you weren't doing well - it definitely wasn't the incompetent analyst who couldn't correctly calculate quotas to save her life. And it definitely wasn't all the issues coming from the other executives who consistently blocked you from speaking to your own accounts daily. It definitely wasn't your manager who had no experience at all in dealing with people. No! It was you! You aren't "DREAMING BIG ENOUGH." You aren't being ambitious enough! You have to reach higher.

"But I calculated all the numbers *shows extremely detailed spreadsheet with current and historical data*"

"Yeah, well if you think like that, you're definitely not going to hit Eagle"

I'm sure that if you interview for the position I had, they are still repeating the same old spiel that you'll make 6 figures (when it's literally impossible). Do yourself a favor and ask for numbers, ask how many people have made that over the past year in that position. Seriously - if you are really considering a career there - DO YOUR RESEARCH.

I could go on and on about the things that happened there, but I don't want this to sound like an angry rant. I want this to be a warning, or "heads up" rather, to anyone who is considering the company. I promise you, it is not what it seems. While there are people who I am sure are happy with their jobs there - 90% of it depends on the team, territory and department you get into.

But anyways, after everything I dealt with, the saddest part of it all wasn't even my own story, or the stories of the sexual harassment claims amongst the office that were ignored or blamed on the victims, or the promotions being given to the "yes sirs" and the kiss ups as opposed to those truly fit for the job. The saddest part was seeing all the parents, excited college grads, long commuters - come into this job so elated about everything they were promised, only to have to leave months later in sheer disappointment when they couldn't even afford to send their kids to school anymore.

Advice to Management

Leave and be replaced with people who actually know how to manage people.

8. "Wonderful place to work"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, able to work remotely when needed, staff is for the most part treated fairly.

Cons

Sometimes hard to move up from one position to another

Advice to Management

Work more with your team members and help create growth opportunities

9. "Human Resources, Senior Corporate Recruiter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training, people, growth are all top of class.

Cons

Not any major concerns, offers everything you want if you're willing to work for it.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Declining experience"

Former Employee - Non-Sales Position
    Former Employee - Non-Sales Position

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Gartner is amazing when it is good. Really suportive management, great colleagues, flex time and benefits. Work hard play hard.

Cons

When its bad it falls apart. Salary not as high as comparable jobs, salary increases for tenured employees almost non-existant. Managers who bail when things start to decline leaving their team high and dry.

Advice to Management

Support your employees more, and to upper management, a burned out employee is no good. Why force them to leave and then have to hire two people to do their job. That cannot be effective on any level.

Showing 1,398 of 1,454 reviews