Gartner Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017
1,270 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,270 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Collaborative culture with a strong emphasis on work-life balance (in 110 reviews)

• Work from home for most of the time (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be much worse in some finance support roles which require uber amounts of overtime (in 60 reviews)

• Middle management in sales is a joke (in 40 reviews)

"No Growth in Stamford"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very generous with paid time off.

Cons

They are in the habit of hiring people fresh out of college. The long standing top performers aren't always recognized by management, or paid a competitive wage compared to new hires.
    Most of the growth opportunities are in the Florida office.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Definitely a great company to work for given the amount of growth and project management going on. Never a dull day at work and a lot of good projects in many modern stacks.

Cons

The management will get to you. Its a battle sometimes to assimilate with inter-departmental mechanics.

Advice to Management

1. Know your devs
    2. Trust your devs
    3. Wash, Rinse, Repeat

"Bad management, effective sales training & process, poor culture"

Former Employee - Account Executive SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-World-class Training
    --The Training is world-class. I've been in several organization and never have I received training like at Gartner. Be careful though, you have to do well or they will fire you before training is over. In my academy class, they fired 5 people before graduating from training.

-Great Retention and Prospecting best practices

-Gartner looks great on your resume to other Tech companies

-IT research and working with analyst community
    --Gartner allows you to work with some of the brightest minds in IT, the analyst community. Take advantage of a free username and password to the Gartner research portal. You can read the same research and listen to calls that CIO's, CMO's and other C-levels pay thousands of dollars for. I read our Tech Go-to-Market research that was aimed for CMO's and it helped me with the job a ton.

-Team atmosphere
    --Working with my team was the best part about my job. My manager rarely helped my team develop, but the senior AE's on my team were directly responsible for my success at Gartner. Everyone on my team cared about the next person and wanted them to do well.

-The Value is there
    --There is a ton of value our services can bring our clients. It's truly a valuable service that most of our clients renew, if they are using the service. It's learning how to educate your client's on how to use the service properly.

-Overall, great first job.
    --If you can get through the con list below, I would strongly recommend giving this place a shot for your first job.

Cons

-No Diversity
    --There is one kind of person that fits in well for Gartner: Male, White, Jock/Bro, Unintelligent usually. Conversations at work consist of topics high school bros talk about. Very few females or people of other races.

-Management
    --You'll find out that Gartner is big on values. One of the values corporate tries to push on us is "unlimited potential". So, you'll see many promotions during your time at Gartner. Unfortunately, many of those promotions are not deserving. Politics play a huge role. I've seen highly qualified candidates go for management, but they didn't get the job because a Vice President didn't like them. All the while, I've seen peers of mine promoted because they are close with a VP. There is no consistency in our hiring process.

-Not real sales, all about luck.
    --Many AE's on the floor find themselves walking into large thousand-dollar deals. For example, someone on a team closed a $110,000 deal after being live on the floor for only two weeks. How did they close that deal you ask? They closed it because their manager gave them that prospect. That prospect had been in a previous sales cycle with an AE who left the company. That previous AE did a great job showing them value of Gartner, but because the new AE had the account now, he/she got the credit and closed the deal. Unfortunately, they have been receiving praise now for months because of that deal. Typically, AE's who sell the most get promotions. So you can see how that is skewed.

-Propaganda, useless company meetings
    --Your calendar will quickly get filled up with invites from your managers, VP's and other leadership staff. They will attempt to manage your calendar for you, all the way down to every cold-call you make. If you like reviewing every email you send with your manager, before you send it, then this company is for you.

-Chained to desk and the office
    --Don't be fooled by all the conference rooms in the office because you can't actually go in them. Managers want you at your desks at all time during the day. If you are gone for 10 minutes, your manager is texting you asking where you are at. The VP's boast about our work-from-home policy, but those are never awarded. Vacation time during Thanksgiving and the Holiday is almost impossible, because Q4 is our biggest quarter so they require all staff to be in the office until the books close at midnight on December 31st. Goodbye New Year's Even plans.

-The longer you work for them, the more you find out and the less you like it
    --I loved Gartner at first. I loved my managers and my VP's. It was only a matter of time until I started to despise coming to work. I found out that all the values and propaganda that our leadership pushes down your throat are only fake. If you don't jive with their system, they will let you go without helping you first.

Advice to Management

To the VP's: Stop allowing our channel to hire so many new people, Don't pressure young AE's to burn relationships just to get a few more deals in before the end of the quarter, Meet with your AE's more, Try to hire outside of Florida and outside of the "typical" Gartner robot, inspire more creativity and less of your process.

"Team Client Manager"

Current Employee - Team Client Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Team Client Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great interview process, team-based onboarding, empowered by leaders to manage their day but still accountable for metrics. Open and realtime feedback creates a supportive work environment.

Cons

Team-based onboarding can lead to inconsistencies in information shared and reduce time to productivity. Poor relocation support and process which will make attracting talent a challenge. Employees have to purchase some of their own work equipment, seems ironic that it's a technology advisory company.

6. "Still Great!"

Current Employee - Business Development in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Business Development in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great culture and perks! Love the brilliant people I am surrounded by. I am kept motivated by the friendly competition.

- I grew more in my first year than all companies I worked at combined. I saw fast growth into a promotion at the one year mark.

- Every detail of the company is processed- to some this is frustrating but I was happy to have process to follow when needed! Everything has been thought of for you.

-Great training! My entire class did great and everyone was given a territory. Some positions with sales are apparently now not pass/fail- my role was a more senior sales role and I had experience coming in so I was not worried about not doing well at training. It was a lot of work but made sense and prepared me well.

Cons

- I originally didn't want to relocate. Wish I could have this job at home, but I like the area and am now happy I took the leap of faith

Advice to Management

Continue to push us but know when to pull back a little! Everyone wants to learn and grow but everyone has bad days/weeks

7. "Challenging - Rewarding - Fun"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and career growth. Great work environment and office amenities - cafe, gym, lounges with ping pong and billiards, free fruit in the mornings, car wash services, dry clean services, mail services, flower truck, food truck, and fun onsite/offsite events. Very collaborative and uplifting culture that you enjoy coming to every day. Good work life balance and flexible work environment where you can move around on your laptop and work from home on occasion when needed.

Cons

Growing fast so have to be willing to adapt to change. Not the worst problem to have though.

"Area Manager"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Collaborative culture with a strong emphasis on work-life balance
    - Many career opportunities for advancement into management or other lines of business
    - Industry leader in sales training and development at all levels of the organization
    - Performance based rewards and benefits (extra bonuses, Club trip)
    - Lower stress sales environment that other companies
    - Ability to develop relationships with C-level executives and truly be a trusted advisor

Cons

- The recruiting process takes awhile and you don't always get feedback as to why you were not a fit.
    - Our products are extensive and can sometimes be complicated for people to understand.
    - Not much diversity within senior levels of leadership

Advice to Management

A continued focus on advancing diverse individuals will create a more diverse leadership team which can lead to better collaboration and synthesis of new ideas. The work life balance message is key and makes for a great work environment and feeling that Gartner really cares about balancing strong business goals with a happy personal life.

9. "Great Benefits!"

Former Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Cape Coral, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Cape Coral, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, fun atmosphere, good pay.

Cons

Lots of mandatory OT, work life balance needs improvement.

Advice to Management

Invest in your team

10. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Tomball, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Tomball, TX

I worked at Gartner (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits; strong company overall. Enjoyed my 10+ year Gartner experience. Great for remote employment; Strong corporate culture; Talented analysts.

Cons

Sometimes disorganized corporate structure. Management not always on same page as employees. Career path can be uncertain.

"Very immature, frat boy, robotic sales management team looking for your kids who can mouth "talk tracks""

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They used to have really good benefits. Some of your fellow inmates (er I mean employees are nice people). The pay is reasonable but not nearly enough to tolerate all of the insanity that is this place.

Cons

Gartner is a place (from the sales side) with very young sales people who constantly are looking for their next job (mostly within the company) as they only promote this super junior sales reps to become super junior sales managers. They also keep creating levels of management on top of additional levels of management. Honestly hard to believe in 2017.

They micromanage everything and have acronyms like you honestly cannot believe. If you are older than 30 or don't like to memorize talk tracks or be subjected to dull VP's (and there are a million of them) who have catch phrases like "game on" look elsewhere

Advice to Management

Try hiring from outside the company to try and ditch the cult mentality

Showing 1,270 of 1,308 reviews