Gartner Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

United Kingdom

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be much worse in some finance support roles which require uber amounts of overtime (in 61 reviews)

• Middle management in sales is a joke (in 43 reviews)

1. "Outstanding company"

Current Employee - CISO Advisory in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CISO Advisory in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly professional people. After 20 years of practice, I had rarely seen such a pleasant place.

Cons

So far so good, there is not a single cons in my case.

Advice to Management

Keep doing well.

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting place to work, makes you think and flexible working

Cons

As I'm new to Gartner I haven't experienced any cons.

"Fine company to work"

Current Employee - Principal Analyst in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Analyst in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, travel opportunity, exposure to C-level corporate management, highly regarded in the industry, Can be very rewarding from the client point of view, not from the company itself.

Cons

Very politically driven. A career path that looks like a moving target that changes every year but it seems after the fact and not before so that one can aim at it.

"Handle with care"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Training package, Short sales cycles, great incentives linked to success and the ability to work with some industry leading analysts.
    If you are successful then you are treated like a hero and can enjoy a long career here.

Cons

The ability to be successful is VERY dependant on the territory/accounts you inherit. Gartner is generally either loved or actively disliked by CIO's and if you inherit accounts where the incumbent CIO is not a fan, it is very difficult to turn that around. They are also stronger in some industry verticals than others and very US market centric.
    Qualify hard at the interview stage the accounts you will inherit and the status of those accounts. I was told I'd be running 4-5 large accounts, focused more on account management with a small amount of new business in a suitable geographic location to where I live and that those accounts were all in a good condition to build upon (This is very important as you will need to make up any contract losses from new business).
    When I finished the training academy I discovered I'd be running 13 small accounts, 4 of which had told my predecessor that they would not be renewing 3 months before I joined and I had 2 months to try and turn them around. Also many accounts required 3-4 hours travel.
    I was then given a huge list of prospects to cold-call which I hadn't done since my early 20's. Important note - If extensive cold-calling isn't your thing then think twice as you will be expected to produce at least 2 new opportunities every week and this is tracked, reported on and named/shamed in a monthly stack ranking report. They also run quarterly "Blitz Days" where you will be expected to sit at a hot desk and cold call dozens of prospects, secure several C-Level meetings and again, this is tracked and reported so there's no hiding place. There is no exception to this, everyone has to do it - It was never mentioned once in any of the interviews and there was no questioning of my skill in this area - astounding given it plays a 50% part of the role.
    Area Managers and VP's are almost without exception internal promotions, many with no prior managerial experience and are ill equipped to think and act strategically and/or leverage wider experience of other organisations and industries.
    Be aware that the internal recruiting team are under huge pressure to recruit new sales staff due to aggressive growth and churn replacement and are inclined to tell you what you want to hear to hit their KPI's.

In short - do your homework, qualify them hard during the process and don't be afraid to walk away if you smell a rat. Due to their struggle to meet headcount numbers, they are more desperate than you are at the recruitment phase and if they think you are a good candidate they will come back to you.

Advice to Management

Just be honest with people when you are recruiting them and respect the fact that the candidate likely has a number of options, who are likely giving them warts & all and will be making a career decision based on this comparison.
    It makes no sense to the company or the individual to mislead a candidate for fear of scaring them off, only for them to leave within a year when reality kicks in.
    If you are honest, then the candidate makes a decision with their eyes open and you are more likely to receive loyalty and long term commitment in return.
    If the candidate doesn't like the sound of it, then yes - you lose him but surely better to do this early rather than waste time and money in losing them within 12 months?

5. "self development opportunities"

Current Employee - Client Partner in Staines, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Client Partner in Staines, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The organisation is fast pace and forever changing, and you'll never be out of areas to improve your skills and knowledge in

Cons

The different business unites are pretty silo'ed, making it difficult to progress in the company if you want to move across to another part of business

Advice to Management

Provide more organised training instead of encouraging employees to search it out themselves, and provide collaboration initiatives between the different business units

"lack of diversity"

Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good training program
    international travel

Cons

lack of diversity
    head office outside of London
    expensive commute to work and long hours of travel

Advice to Management

hire talent from different nationals and countries open up!

"Once upon a time good company that has lost sight of what made it great"

Current Employee - Research Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Super folks and culture at a peer level (offset by an atrocious culture fostered at the senior management level - see below).

Cons

Obsession with metrics and senior management blinded by them - they don't realise correlation does not equate to causation. They are only obsessed about the bottom line, be prepared to be viewed as a resource and nothing more.

Advice to Management

Talk to your foot soldiers not your middle managers, many of which are self-serving and a bunch of 'yes men' and 'yes women'.

"great company, big challenges"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

intelligent people, unparalleled product/service offering, strong systems, clearly articulated roles and functions, big career growth opportunities, very good salary, bonus, and benefit packages

Cons

The american executive team seems to struggle to adjust management, hiring, and training strategies for global (specifically european) employees. The approach to staffing, heirarchy, and internal promotion is somewhat myopic.

Advice to Management

If I was on the Exec Team at Gartner, I would take a very good look at how some of the other giants in the tech industry choose and grow their management teams. Google, Facebook, and Amazon are all leagues ahead, and its causing aggressive turnover, specifically in Sales.

9. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Career Opportunities
    Fantastic Training
    Wealth of Knowledge to Learn

Cons

Location, Location, Location
    Gartner pay Mid Market salaries - probably because they're in Egham

Advice to Management

Pick your Area Managers more carefully

10. "Life at Gartner"

Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent training academy. Plenty of support to develop professionally. Lots of progression opportunities.

Cons

Some internal processes take up more time than they are worth.

Advice to Management

Lead as opposed to micro manage.

Showing 164 of 1,354 reviews