Gartner "fort myers" Reviews | Glassdoor

Gartner Employee Reviews about "fort myers"

Updated Nov 13, 2019

3.7
Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall
1,840 Ratings
Cons

Reviews about "fort myers"

Return to all Reviews

"Gartner"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to learn from some of the brightest people in the IT industry.

Cons

Forced me to relocate to Fort Myers.

Gartner2019-08-12

"Great company to build your sales resume if you survive 1 year"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good name to put on your resume if you want to work in sales. Company name will not mean anything to people outside of IT/Sales.

Cons

-A lot of people get fired after the first 6-12 weeks because they don't do well on role plays -Fort Myers is not a great place to live for younger people

Advice to Management

If someone is not good in sales, find another fit for them within the company

Gartner2019-11-14

"Great place to begin professional career"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Program Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful place to work; especially beginning your career. Culture is amazing with collaborative and friendly people.

Cons

Most people relocate to Fort Myers for Gartner and ultimately would like to end up back with family. After success in the role, more consideration should be given to remote work and/or the ability to work from national offices.

Gartner2019-10-14

"Smart people, strong company.. cost cutting to appease investors"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Really bright people there. Collaboration is strong. I’ve run with the opportunities I’ve found for myself there and owner my career progression.

Cons

The culture has changed significantly since the purchase of CEB. The integration did not happen as quickly as senior leadership thought and it isn’t performing to heritage standards, thus, heritage Gartner is paying for it. Promotions that are deserved take forever to put in place. As a leader, it took many jumps through hoops to get people on my team promoted. The focus on OKRs is great in concept but between that,... GTM, shadow metrics, other initiatives.. the focus seems to change quite often. Campaigns are lobbied around lackluster growth or poor retention. Roles are being moved to lower cost geographies as the company is investing heavily in a COE in India.. slashing operating costs as much as they can... no holiday party... rarely any team or group outings outside the Fort Myers office or fraternity. Gartner is extremely political. The CEOs mantra of do the right thing and the results will follow doesn’t seem to really apply to the culture. You have to know the right people to be protected EVEN if you are performing. It’s still a boys club. Performance management, at least in my role, was still based off forcing a grading curve. Even though they said they aren’t, they are.. so much for pay for performance.. Culture can be cutthroat and in the end, my loyalty to the company didn’t mean anything. I was a line item in their P&L despite my +6 years of service.

Advice to Management

Good luck. May the odds be in your favor moving forward

Gartner2019-08-16
  5. "amazing internship, would recommend to anyone!"

Current Intern - GTS Intern in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner for less than a year

Pros

love their culture, and the way the internship program was set up. I met some lifelong friends and was able to make the best memories here. Pay was good, $14/hr, and only worked 40 hours a week.

Cons

location in fort myers was okay for the summer but not sure if i could do it full time... they changed the structure of the internship this year so there was no cold calling on clients, didnt get to do much for the clients at all. you got to shadow calls which was nice to see it first hand, but other than that you were doing the side work/ busy work for the account managers, didnt seem to bring much value to them,... felt kind of underappreciated

Gartner2019-07-31

"Worst experience ever"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time for less than a year

Pros

They pay for relocation to their Florida office. The training is kind of in depth...

Cons

You have to move to Fort Myers which is cool until you realize that Spring Break is the most interesting thing going on there... Then after moving your entire life across the country and spending 2 months in training, you may still not have a job (they fired 7 people in my training class of 30). On top of that, once you get assigned to a team in the frat/sorority environment via their Russian roulette style of... placement, you may end up with a brand new manager on an under-performing team and be under the microscope from your first day. The VPs are always looking for reasons to fire people. My advice would be to stay away.

Gartner2019-06-07

"Growing HR"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Have the opportunity to work with really great people that help you grow and develop. HR is constantly growing, so it is nice to work for a company that invest in the growth of HR.

Cons

Hard to move UP within HR, a lot of movement for lateral moves but not for upward mobility. Very metrics driven HR, like being in sales without having the commission. Fort Myers, FL

Gartner2019-03-26

""The Cavalry Isn't Coming""

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- IT execs trust Gartner, and will give you an incredible view inside of their worlds. - This is an excellent learning opportunity for people early on in their careers, or who want to break into tech. - Also excellent for the “working retired.” Once you’ve learned the ropes, plenty of senior reps put in 15-20 hrs/wk. - The brand is highly regarded within IT, and has powerful influence in the market. - Gartner... has had 40+ quarters of consecutive double-digit growth.

Cons

- Because of Gartner’s “proven success” evidenced by double-digit growth, the company believes it knows the “right things to do” and shows no interest or investment in evolving – even where change is sorely needed. - Gartner is not a client-first organization. Sales is expected to bring in revenue at any cost, regardless of what is good or valuable for the client. - There is no sales leadership – only sales... management. Almost all Sales Manager are first-time managers. They manage their team members like entry-level salespeople, in a "constant coaching" model. - Gartner is militaristic in its hierarchy. Instruction comes top down, and there is no upward channel for feedback. - Sales Operations are the worst I’ve seen in my career – Gartner has no CRM; bookings are filled with errors; commission is always late – and no one’s held accountable. - The business model is showing its age. Gartner publishes long, boring reports and its research methodology can’t keep up with emerging tech. Gartner could evolve and do awesome things here, but has chosen not to. - In Strategic Accounts/AGE Gartner seeks to be a “strategic partner” to companies. This will never be fully realized because Gartner exists on a private island, while the ecosystem of ISV and SIs and Consultants carries on. The organization is severely over-promising and under-delivering. - SMB/MSE and Major Accounts/ALE have a localized model, so that global companies have a different sales rep in every state. - Gartner’s service delivery org is highly segmented in order to create as many VP positions in Fort Myers, FL as possible, even though this fractured model is bad for salespeople and bad for clients. - Gartner’s failed to capitalize on the CEB acquisition. Rather than fostering cross-selling opportunities, they incentivize salespeople to compete with their peers.

Advice to Management

- You’re a people company. Care about your people. - Be good to your clients. You’re on thin ice with them. - Re-focus Sales Management on the big ticket things that impact results: retention, training, resourcing. Read the HR practice's research on the negative impacts of "constant coaching." - Stop using employees' “Gartner brand” to threaten and harass them into subordination. - Innovate or die.

Gartner2019-03-07
  9. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Focus on developing people and product I can stand behind

Cons

Relatively low tenure and Fort Myers has little diversity in the workplace

Gartner2019-02-14

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere, lots of learning for future careers, flexible hours, an incredible first job for someone right out of college

Cons

FORT MYERS, the city is small and has nothing to do other than go to the beach. All your friends will be work friends. The general tenure of someone at Gartner is less than a year, and location plays a big part in this. Furthermore, if you don’t perform month over month, they will put you on “plan” and force you out of the company. Don’t recommend this job to someone who has zero intentions of staying a minimum of 3... years in FL.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a chance to grow horizontally (HR, recruiting), instead of only promoting people who hit winners circle.

Gartner2018-11-23