GasPedal Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Andy Sernovitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Honestly, I've never had a better work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• The company has good pay and great benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the work/life balance gets a little off-kilter (in 3 reviews)

• The negative reviews from staff are emotional, but they are genuine (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"GasPedal is worth it"

I have been working at GasPedal full-time

Pros

1. Awesome team. I think this gets mentioned a lot, and with good reason. This company is full of good people, who are smart, who work hard, and who are fun to be around.

2. Great benefits. We have 15 days of PTO across the board, no matter how long you've been at the company, plus more company holidays than before. We have summer break and the week between Christmas and New Years' off, we get an extra day around Thanksgiving. There's 401k matching, the company pays for medical and dental/visual, we have an FSA. Every year with the company gets you a small bonus that you can use for a break. Reimbursements for TSA pre-check if you travel for work, for professional development, etc. Company snacks, drinks, and free lunches on Fridays. A gym in the office, a house staff can use for family/friends when they're hosting people in Austin.

3. Really interesting work. It's not just about social media. Because GasPedal is a smaller company than most, there's a lot that needs to be done and a lot to work on. But you get to be in it, you get to work it out with everyone, you get to build things or help decide what to do. I've found it very personally fulfilling, and I've learned a ton so far working here.

4. GasPedal will try to do right by you. Professionally speaking, maybe a lot of people will disagree. But personally speaking, I've been on the receiving end of this generosity, of GasPedal -- Andy, really, and my VP -- going above and beyond what any boss will do for an employee. They took the time to work through some tough times with me, when I know any other place would have just let me handle it on my own.

5. Work-life balance. It gets stressful from time to time, sure, but for the most part, I leave work at 5 and turn off for the weekend. If some emergency comes up with my house and I need to be there to take care of it, I don't worry about losing PTO for it. Events can be grueling, and we do work long hours then, but the day after is usually considered a light day.

6. Management is trying. I'm not going to lie, it's been a hard couple of months. But I see a legitimate effort here to change and improve and fix things.

Cons

1. The highs can be very high, which means the lows can be quite low. I think this is just the natural ebb and flow of things, but the lows can be bad. Because the staff are so smart, and because they're so talented, I think it's harsher and more obvious when things start to go sideways. And because a lot of the glue that sticks GasPedal together is emotional commitment and investment, it hurts a lot more when things aren't going right. This is a 9-to-5, but not the kind where you can just go through the motions from 9-to-5. So it's exacting and demanding, and it's hard to sometimes get enough energy to do that week after week, especially if it's a really tough time.

2. Change can be too constant. There are so many things that GasPedal has worked on and perfected and tried to improve over the years, and then many more that will change. That can be hard. Staffers are usually a blend of Type A (who can work on one thing with clear focus exceedingly well) and Type B (who can roll with the flow if that focus switches to something else). This is good for some, frustrating for others. Right now I think it's more the latter, but internally I see a lot of promise at least as far as attempting to stick to a more disciplined system where we stay agile about how we get to a goal, but maybe make sure we stay on course.

3. It can take a while to find your footing here. Sometimes you get thrown into the middle of a crisis, or a brand-new project, and there may not be a whole lot of guidance. Sometimes you can come in with all these ideas, and feel like you're not listened to. A lot of really clever, really driven people will probably find this the most frustrating of all. But, in my experience, this is just something that takes time. Time to ask questions, time to learn what's going on, time to understand context, and so on. Then time to figure out how you fit with the company, how you can help, how you can use what you know to contribute.

Advice to Management

Keep disciplined on the direction we want to take the company. There are a lot of moving parts, so try not to bite off more than we can chew.

"Great place to work if you can get into the company"

I have been working at GasPedal full-time

Pros

Great culture, great benefits, great pay and meaningful work. Company has hit a home run balancing the drive to success, delighting customers and employee satisfaction. Is a mature company yet has kept all of the positives of a start-up feel.

Cons

Company retains the entrepreneurial feel so things move and change quickly. You have to like that environment to like it hear but if you do you will love it.

Advice to Management

Stay focused, keep delighting customers and developing your people.

3. "I read the reviews, did my research and happily took the job!"

Current Employee - Evangelist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Evangelist in Austin, TX

I have been working at GasPedal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product! Really sincere and authentic co-workers. Fantastic and unusual workspace. Super perks. Realistic expectations. Personal and professional growth.

Cons

Every company gets punched in the face eventually. It happened here and the leadership and the company have learned and are coming out of a tough period. This is not a con specifically but there is some scar tissue and tender areas still.

Advice to Management

stay the course

"Sales Team"

I have been working at GasPedal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, committed team members and a clarity of purpose. Company has had the normal struggles in a fast growing company but leadership admits this and has taken steps to change. New leadership team members have experience and are passionate about winning within a great culture. Work environment is challenging yet very, very balanced and that is hard to find these days in companies. Would highly recommend joining this organization.

Cons

If you are not someone that flourishes in a fast pace environment that gives you great responsibilities from Day 1 yet expects you to deliver on those responsibilities, then this isn't the place for you. I think many of the people who have responded negatively to this company were looking for steady, predictable work. There is nothing wrong with that. They should go work for the State, a large company, etc. But if you are looking for daily challenges, changing to meet customers needs, etc. then this is a great place for you.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, maintain the culture and keep GasPedal a great place to work.

"I’d do it again in a heartbeat"

Former Employee - Vice President Operations in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Vice President Operations in Austin, TX

I worked at GasPedal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for GasPedal as its VP of Operations for 5+ years. My role came with opportunities for challenging, meaningful work; professional development; and interaction with amazing people every day. It also came with a seat on the executive management team, which I relished. I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything.

The people at GasPedal, whether current or former employees have always been my favorite part of it. GasPedal still employs people I admire and respect. Aside from the people, I wholeheartedly believe that there’s a lot to like about working at GasPedal. These three are my favorites:

1. Half of the culture. The half where it’s just a fun place to be. You work with cool people in a fun office, and do a wide range of interesting things. You get to travel with all the same people and serve members who are the thought leaders in social media. Guests are often in awe of what GasPedal does and how it does it. It feels good to be a part of something so unique.
    2. Learning. GasPedal is not the place to go for classic professional development through seminars, conferences, and training classes. It is the place for hands-on learning. Have an idea? Try it. Figure out what worked and what didn’t. Are there gaps in your knowledge? Read. Read all you can about business, the industry, technology, your job, or anything short of romance novels and GasPedal will pay for it. Work with Andy on a project. He has crazy ideas and the experience and contacts to make them work. If you don’t learn at GasPedal, it’s your own fault.
    3. Work/life balance. It sounds cliché. Everyone says it these days. You won’t really appreciate it until you want to drop off your kid at daycare at a decent hour or leave early to coach your kid’s soccer practice. Maybe you want to scoot out early on Friday for a long weekend, or just need to go to an appointment. All the little, frictionless accommodations to your work schedule add up to an incredible benefit.

Cons

Of course, GasPedal like a lot of companies has things to improve. These are my top three:

1. The other half of the culture. Priorities change quickly. You wonder if you’re working on the right thing, doing it in the right way, or whether it will even matter at all next week. It’s a hyper fluidity born out of weak management self-discipline and lack of accountability. It creates frustration within the ranks.
    2. Waiting on Andy. People wait on Andy’s approval before acting. Sometimes it’s for a good reason: Andy asked you to get his approval before acting. Most of the time that is not the case, but people THINK it is. It creates a gridlock in the company, and people feel as though Andy is micromanaging them.
    3. Too much optimism. Wait, what? Yeah, but only concerning planning/goal setting. Too many big initiatives running concurrently and led by the same key people leaves those people with an impossible task of juggling too many balls at once. When everything is a priority, nothing is.

Advice to Management

GasPedal has a tremendous capacity to attract great people. I hope that continues. I also hope that it is able to manage the working relationships with those people in a way that does not foster so much hostility when they leave.

One more thing: Thank you, Andy. I appreciate the opportunity you gave me, the things we achieved together over the years, and the friendship that grew from the experience.

"Fun Coworkers, moody CEO"

I worked at GasPedal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who work here are generally fun and great to be around. They like to run the office like the tech startups with all kinds of snacks, coffees, treadmill desks, etc.

The clients are usually pretty great and the events they host are fun, even if they are quite tiring to organize. The pay and benefits are decent.

Cons

The CEO is moody and overall hard to deal with. His desires change on a whim and when you express reservations about how he wants something done, or reservations on how what he wants done will impact your other duties, he loses it. The turnover here is unreal for a company with decent pay and benefits because of how difficult he is to work with. He tends to fire people who disagree with him or point out how his random whims cause their actual duties to suffer.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to control Andy's random urges. Department heads should shield their employees from his demands as much as possible if you want things to run smoothly.

"New leadership, amazing product, back to growth"

I have been working at GasPedal full-time

Pros

New leadership has come in and jump started the company. After a slow start to 2017 things are back on track with record sales and increased retention rates. It feels like the company has taken the next step over the last six months. We're launching new communities, the product, at a quick rate. This is leading to more opportunities for professional growth internally and to bring on new staff.

Stale or inefficient roles have been restructured. Roles are now better defined putting the company and individuals in a better position to succeed moving forward.

It's an amazing product. You get to work with the biggest brands in the world and help the individuals within them flourish. It's really rewarding to come to work each day knowing you're making an impact on the business and others lives.

The benefits and perks are set up for you to enjoy your workday and your life outside of work. Great PTO (separate from sick days) + summer break and an entire week around the winter holidays. Flexible work hours. Ability to work outside. 401k match (vested right away). Your own office with a standing or treadmill desk. Friday lunches, free snacks and educational book/magazine reimbursement.

Plus, people’s careers have taken off here. I’ve now got friends at - Facebook, YouEarnedIt, Spredfast, HomeAway, BigCommerce, etc.

Cons

I'll be honest, Q1 2017 was rough and I hated to see some people I loved working with leave. I miss them, but also happy to now have friends at some other great companies in Austin. We've rebounded well and things are back on track, but that was a tough experience.

Staff leaves by 5-5:15. If you're looking for a company with a happy hour culture, this isn't it.

Advice to Management

Keep the train moving in the right direction. Continue to focus on growth, allowing more employees the opportunities to lead.

"Great people, fun place to work, growing fast"

I have been working at GasPedal full-time

Pros

The team is awesome to work with. The office is great. Members love the community and it’s fun to get new members and support them.

The benefits (401k matching, great PTO) and all the perks are very, very good. especially for a small business.

A lot of these reviews call out Andy, the CEO, as being some terrible guy to work for. That's just not true. He’s generous, cares about the team, and wants to build a great place to work. I know he’s done things to help employees save their homes, attended funerals and weddings, and flown people back from business travel early to be with families during an emergency. He’s accessible, he listens to feedback and ideas, and he's fun to work with.

Cons

It’s a small team, and it’s growing fast. Sometimes job roles change or people switch teams. If you want a super stable company where things never change, you'll be happier at a big company.

Advice to Management

Keep working to make job roles clear and focusing on making the community great. Avoid distractions.

"To the GasPedal "Culture Team""

Pros

The company won't last forever.

Cons

Listen. It's fine if we disagree on whether or not GasPedal is a decent place to work.

It's fine if you want to hide behind your keyboard and claim it's for a greater good and spin the complaints of real people and their real experiences into some kind of "meaningful work is not for everyone" nonsense.

But...to write a response on Glassdoor and claim that 2017 is your most profitable year means that you, Culture Team, have turned into a downright liar. Like many others, I know that you've laid people off in this calendar year because you couldn't make payroll for goodness sake. You're "spinning up" new communities because you desperately need new revenue streams (to pay for all the crap Andy wanted).

Your rating is lousy because the company is lousy.

Stop lying to the world and have some common decency and self respect, or at the very least have some respect for the well-being of other people.

You're going down a very bad path and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Advice to Management

Shut it down.

"Very unhealthy - pass on this opportunity"

I worked at GasPedal full-time

Pros

GasPedal’s marketing is seductive, the messaging to recruits is appealing, and if you are given an offer, you feel like you’ve got a special and rare prize in your pocket.

Cons

The thing is, there is no follow-through once you are onboard. There is a moment I experienced, a moment I saw replayed on just about every new hire’s face, when you realize that you made the wrong choice.

This is not a healthy place to work. If you have been made an offer and you are reading through these reviews trying to decide if you should take it, don’t. There are much better options than GasPedal to help you develop yourself, your skills and your career.

There are several positive signals you may receive when outside of GasPedal. The reading list tells you that leadership wants to improve and wants to learn from others. The company’s investment in agile tells you they want to empower staff. Their dedication to writing, documentation and process will tell you that their craft matters. The clarity of vision for the company will tell you that they have a plan for the future and are moving swiftly to fulfill that plan.

In practice none of these things is true, regardless how often they are proclaimed as a pillar or principle of the organization's culture.

This is one of the most disappointing aspects of my time with GasPedal. They have found a great set of ground rules to operate a great company, but they completely ignore their own rules and have a deeply sick corporate culture that is stuck in a rut. The single most critical symptom of this illness is the morbidly high turnover at the company.

Here’s the time in this write up when I respond to the general tenor of the other reviews here on Glassdoor. Clearly most of the staff that have left in the past few years have many emotions swimming through their words. Clearly the management of GasPedal is trying to downplay or nullify those reviews.

The negative reviews from staff are emotional, but they are genuine. There have been several reviews that GasPedal has managed to remove from Glassdoor, but they all told a true story.

I saw very little respect in general for the staff at GasPedal, but the treatment of women was particularly disgraceful, tone deaf, archaic and pandering. To my friends and co-workers that have left, and to those that are still there, I am sorry that I was too slow to see what was happening. I am also sorry that the best I did while I was there was commiserate when you shared how screwed up things were and then said nothing.

Advice to Management

If you are starting or early in your career, look for place where you can learn from the productive habits and leadership skills of your managers.

If you are looking for your first place to advance into a leadership or managerial role, look for a company where senior leadership will trust and mentor you into the leader you want to be.

If you are already in a senior role and thinking of transitioning to GasPedal, look for a company where your years of expertise, outside knowledge and voice will be respected.