GasPedal Reviews | Glassdoor

Andy Sernovitz

"Great Internship experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at GasPedal (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff and Andy is a very approachable CEO.

Cons

The staff is very open and collaborative. If you can't handle lots of edits to your work or very honest feedback, it's not the place for you.

"Don't walk away... RUN"

I worked at GasPedal full-time

Pros

(1) You'll enjoy the team in general - most employees get along really well
    (2) Good benefits, especially for a small business
    (3) Free snacks and drinks

Cons

(1) Andy lacks any focus which causes the company to lack any focus
    (2) It is widely acknowledged that most employees have zero job security - there are no performance reviews so there's a general lack of any feedback as to your job performance. You may come to work one day and find out it's your last without any sort of forewarning.
    (3) At hiring, you're told of a "bonus plan" - this is a pipe dream. The owner would rather spend money putting expensive signs on the building and then tell the company that there is no money for bonuses (actually - he never actually announces that there are no bonuses, he just hopes that no one brings it up).

Advice to Management

You're not genuinely interested in or open to advice so what's the point?

Feb 16, 2017 – Culture Team

We’re sorry you didn’t enjoy your experience at GasPedal. We hope you find a place you love. As you pointed out, we have great benefits for a small business, and we’re proud of that. We expanded that ... More

"Tough Place to Work"

I worked at GasPedal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Idea behind the company is great. Benefits to clients are excellent. Company events are very well executed.

Cons

Extreme micro-managing and a very unclear path set by the CEO - constant shifting of focus is tough. There is also a constant threat of being fired at the drop of a hat.

Advice to Management

Find a clear path and stick to it. Trust the infrastructure put in place to work and don't over-manage.

Feb 16, 2017 – People

We’re glad to see that you believe in what we do and how we serve our members, but we’re sorry to hear you had an overall negative experience. We’ve worked hard to improve our planning process ... More

"CEO is running company into the ground"

I worked at GasPedal full-time

Pros

Many of the lower tier employees are very nice (though many are leaving or looking to leave).

Cons

CEO is running the company into the ground because of very poor financial management. He doesn’t listen to anyone else and has made lots of bad choices, so people are quitting and getting let go left and right in the wake of all the financial issues he's created.

Advice to Management

What goes around comes around. You've created this mess you're in.

"Trust the other negative reviews. They are true!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at GasPedal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are really nice.
    Bathrooms are always clean.
    Interesting business (in theory, not in practice).
    They buy nice paper towels.

Cons

Honestly, please read the other reviews. I really wish I would have taken them more seriously. I was nervous to start based on all the negative reviews and frankly, should have followed my gut. They are 100% accurate. It's an ongoing joke within the staff members.

I have never in the history of my career worked anywhere with such high turnover. Especially a company so small. In my time there, people were getting fired or quitting all the time. If you don't believe me, just ask them. They are getting a pretty negative reputation in Austin specifically for this reason. Ask them how many people have left in the past year. It will blow your mind.

If you have ever had any position with the slightest bit of autonomy, this is not the place for you. Life is too short to work at GasPedal.

That being said, there are truly smart and wonderful people, but they are not allowed to work in a way where they can showcase those skills.

Feb 16, 2017 – Culture Team

We’re sorry the job didn’t work out for you. We are very open about our culture and hiring. We’re a unique company and our work style isn’t for everyone. The people who feel it’s not a fit usually do ... More

7. "Great Experience!"

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at GasPedal (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the internship experience that I got working with GasPedal. The office environment was very laid back and friendly, while members of the team were still motivated to work hard and accomplish company goals and objectives. I loved how there was an open line of communication, and I was extremely comfortable asking for help and clarifying things if I did not understand them.

Cons

I wish my assignments had been a little more hands on instead of just assisting with different tasks, and that the company was open to hiring entry-level employees if they did well during the internship duration.

Feb 16, 2017 – Culture Team

Thank you! We’re glad to hear you had a great experience. We also appreciate the feedback on work assignments, as we try to ensure our interns are given “real” work. For entry-level roles, while ... More

"Good People Doing Good Things!"

I worked at GasPedal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GasPedal is full of amazing, smart people who are out to be the best that they can be in their jobs. This is a company of thinkers. They are constantly thinking about how they can make it better, how they can take things to the next level, and thinking about the latest trends and ideas in their fields. Reading is an incredibly important part of being a member of the GasPedal team. It makes you feel really good to be surrounded by such capable people! The company has good pay and great benefits. They have also just opened new office space to accommodate their growth.

Cons

Growing pains are hard and GasPedal is a growing company. When you put so many passionate people together on one team and add the pressure of growth, sometimes things can become tense. This high growth tension isn't for everybody.

Advice to Management

Keep making way for new leaders and new ideas as the growth keeps happening!

Jul 23, 2016 – Culture Team

Thank you for your honest feedback. Your comments are insightful and do a good job of describing us. Those growing pains are real, but it's good fun for people who like the challenge of doing hard ... More

"The numbers don't lie"

Pros

Aside from the CEO, some great people work here

Cons

The worst turnover I’ve ever seen in a company. The CEO brags about this fact attributing it to the “company culture” or “way we work”, when really it’s just an excuse to treat people like they’re disposable and accommodate the CEO’s erratic behavior.

Be especially wary if you’re interviewing for a new position with no job description or the CEO decides to create a position for you. This never works out well.

Advice to Management

To those interested in GasPedal: Seriously, don’t believe the hype on the website. Few people have made it past 3 years at GasPedal; most don’t even make it a year. Employees actually have a phrase they use when they know the CEO has a target on someone’s back. It's called “being vultured”. And just like a vulture, if the CEO wants you out he will circle and prey upon your carcass until it happens.

If wondering everyday if this is your last day on the job, then GasPedal is just the home for you. If you’d rather be in an environment where you can grow professionally and stay long-term, then maybe keep looking for a company with a decent balance of reviews here on Glassdoor.

Aug 9, 2016 – Culture Team

We're truly sorry that the job didn't work out for you, and we hope you've found a place that give you a fulfilling career. We're very open about two things, which you can read about on our web site ... More

"Hello from the CEO"

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Austin, TX

I have been working at GasPedal full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hi! I'm Andy Sernovitz, the CEO and founder of GasPedal.

As you can see, some people love this place. And some really hate it.

We have a very strong culture, and it's not for everyone. For people who don't like it here, they sometimes really really hate it (and sometimes they hate me too). That's OK. I hope they find a workplace they love.

For the people who thrive in our culture, it's a wonderful, supportive place where people find long-term career happiness. That might be you, too.

This is a place you can do interesting, meaningful work with people you like.

Please take a look at our web site, which is specifically for the purpose of helping you figure out if you'd enjoy being a part of this team. It's very open and transparent about the ups and downs of working at GasPedal. It'll give you accurate information on some of the issues mentioned in reviews here.

I'm happy to talk if you'd like to explore whether this is a place that might make you happy. If you contact me, I'll reply personally.

Thank you.

Cons

Not everyone wants to work the same way, and not everyone wants the same destination -- and that’s OK.

Advice to Management

We love advice! Please tell us what we can do to make this a better place to work.

"Great Environment and Great Peopl"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer

I worked at GasPedal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Gaspedal. I worked there for a little over a year and left only because I moved to a different city. Fun, laid-back atmosphere and genuinely good people who care about more than just the company's bottom line. The company was transparent with their decision-making and seemed legitimately interested in getting everyone involved. I always felt valued at Gaspedal.

The laid-back environment didn't mean we weren't working hard though. There was a good balance between pushing hard towards deadlines (mainly events) and celebrating a job well done.

Cons

The CEO is a quirky guy - I personally really enjoyed him and got along with him great, but I could see where some people may not mesh with him as well.

May 16, 2016 – Culture Team

We're glad you had a great experience. We love to see our alumni go off to do great things!