Gaston County Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Reeves McGlohon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Teacher"

I have been working at Gaston County Schools full-time

Pros

Jobs are always available online to apply.

Cons

I find there are no cons.

2. "NC is one of the worst states for teachers"

Current Employee - High School Teacher in Gastonia, NC
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Gastonia, NC

I have been working at Gaston County Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gaston county schools has a great new teacher training and support program. Administration is fairly supportive. Good climate - co-workers are friendly and supportive.

Cons

NC is one of the worst states for teachers. Low pay, benefits aren't great. Gaston county schools docks your pay if you miss work due to snow days, even when they close the schools. Large classes, students can be very difficult.

Advice to Management

Don't dock pay for snow days. Pay teachers for after school activities if you require them to be there. Offer more opportunities for certain types of CEUs if you require teachers to have them.

3. "Food Service supervisor"

Current Employee - Food Service Manager in Gastonia, NC
    Current Employee - Food Service Manager in Gastonia, NC

I have been working at Gaston County Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I really enjoy working in my department because I get to interact with the residence and I always strive to make sure we always have excellent patient satisfaction with everyone

Cons

You form a formal relationship with the patient's and the staff and it's really heartbreaking when we lose a resident that you have known for years.

Advice to Management

Get to know your staff we are all one family and it is very important that we know our staff and that they know us as well.

4. "Gaston Co. --- Great FIRST job!! Serious. crash course in what it means and you need to be a teacher."

Former Employee - Math Teacher in Gastonia, NC
    Former Employee - Math Teacher in Gastonia, NC

I worked at Gaston County Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful training ground.
    You can learn everything at once.
    Caring professional co-workers, willing to tell you what you need to know, do and how to get it done.
    Administration is made up of true educators.
    Procedures are clearly made

Cons

Principal is test score geared.
    Principal is great idea designer, but expects everyone else to make her vision come true.
    Principal wishy-washy about making things clear.
    Principal micro-manages, and yet expects everyone to put in 12hr days,because she puts in 12 hr days.
    Students are attitudinal with little authoritarian respect for their elders.

Advice to Management

Allow the children more time to be children during the day.

5. "Elementary -Middle Teacher"

Current Employee - Certified Elementary-Middle School Teacher in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Gaston County Schools part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Teaching is a passion of mine for years; so I went to college to become trained as one. Experiences has taught me many strategies over the years to apply them in a classroom of motivation and fun learning to enhance a positive environment to learning.

Cons

As a seasoned teacher, I need more training in that what I learned many years ago can be out dated for the 21st century student.

Advice to Management

I ask that you look me over and see if I can fix into you school.

6. "Things that should be done"

Current Employee - Yel in Gaston, NC
    Current Employee - Yel in Gaston, NC

I have been working at Gaston County Schools (Less than a year)

Pros

When students are treated fairly

Cons

I believe Gaston county schools should last for 5 hours kids really don't get much rest from coming home they could be in some type of sports and do home work I believe we should lower the hours to 5 hours kids really don't have much time in the day

Advice to Management

Yel

7. "A good start to my career, but had to leave for other opportunities"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Gaston County Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great supportive colleagues throughout the district. I am still friends with a number of friendly faces both on and off school campuses.

Nice professional development opportunities.

Lots of snow days.

Felt a good deal of administrative support.

Gaston County is EXCELLENT in giving lateral entry educators a chance to enter the classroom and start their professional journey while working on obtaining their teaching credentials. If you want to become a classroom teacher, then Gaston County is probably the best place to get your foot in the door!

Cons

Spotty administrative support--it was hit and miss, both on school grounds and in higher-up admin. I definitely noticed some favoritism.

For part of my time in GCS, I was employed as a "teacher" but was paid as a teacher assistant. I taught the same number of classes a day as all teachers in my building, coached, was a club advisor, and was required to do before/after school duties. I did all this (more than quite a few others) and I made a fraction of what everyone else made. I guess sometimes you have to be creative with your given funding in order to make that sure that machine is well-oiled, but in hindsight, I think about how financially screwed over I was in that equation.

Low pay. I know of a number of people who left Gaston County Schools to work in Charlotte, South Carolina, or outside of education altogether.

Being a spread-out county, snow days were always weird. I understand the logic and the safety concerns...it's just weird for school to be out for days at a time when it's clear in Belmont and icy in Cherryville.

I did sense a good-ole boy mentality during my time in GCS. It seemed that it was more about who you know than what you know when it came to some hiring or other privileged opportunities. Such is business, I suppose.

Advice to Management

For what it was, my time in GCS wasn't bad. I was under a different set of circumstances then than now, but just make sure to treat your employees like gold--especially your teachers. You have the makings to do great things for the children and citizens in Gaston County. Don't let low pay and lack of support continue to cause you to lose great educators to higher paying neighboring districts.

Also, you can't do much about the parental support or lack thereof. But, parents have to be better engaged. Behavior issues can only be controlled so much during the school day. Parents have to do more to be a part of their kids' educational journeys. Without that support, teachers may continue to feel unsupported and with their backs against the wall.

I thank Gaston County for helping me start off my career. I will say that other districts shut their doors in my face when I needed that chance to prove my worth.

8. "Mixed bag of nuts"

Former Employee - 7 Grade Language Arts Teacher in Gaston, NC
    Former Employee - 7 Grade Language Arts Teacher in Gaston, NC

I worked at Gaston County Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The trainers are excellent and experienced and serve as both trainers and mentors. Some schools are very stressful to work at because of behavior problems, but if you find a good school you have found a jewel.

Cons

Generally the pay is lower compared to other states, but the insurance plan was reasonable as well as the benefits. Discipline in tough schools is not a top priority.

Advice to Management

Offer more PD for behavior management and take a firm stand against unwanted behaviors. Reconsider some staff placements and select from those who are qualified and top performers instead of who has been there the longest.

9. "Exceptional Children department"

Current Employee - Teacher in Gastonia, NC
    Current Employee - Teacher in Gastonia, NC

I have been working at Gaston County Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people who work together!

Cons

I can't think of one con about my job!

Advice to Management

Great Management!

10. "Teacher"

I worked at Gaston County Schools full-time

Pros

Lots of experienced teachers who are willing to help and share. Curriculum is built and shared by the main office and done well.

Cons

The parents have way too much say on what happens in the classroom. Administration can treat teachers poorly.

Advice to Management

A full review of all administration needs to be utilized. A teacher's experience is based on the administration and some schools are poorly run.