Gatan Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sander Gubbens

1. "Great Company and Leadership"

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Gatan (Less than a year)

Pros

Great IT Leadership and a dynamic team that makes sure you have what you need to succeed. IT department reports to Brian Z the Director of IT. We have open communication and our direction and goals are very clear. Brian gives everyone the opportunity to give input on projects and makes sure everyone is heard. It has been a great run so far.

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Great Job. Keep the environment fun and exciting.

"Terrible Company for Women and Engineers"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Gatan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are very few positives to working at Gatan. Free lunch once a month and bagels on Wednesdays are the only ones that come to mind.

Cons

Absolutely toxic work environment. On many occasions, I overheard upper management (directors, project managers, president) use expletives and yell at other employees. As a woman, I was often subjected to inappropriate jokes and sexual harassment (once was told to send a picture of myself to a vendor in order to get a product faster, also was once told that my backside was a better view while giving a design presentation - two of MANY unsolicited comments about my body). This was discussed with HR and no action was taken. I also had a coworker regularly ask me about my thoughts on religion and encouraged me to 'find Jesus'.
    The majority of employees at Gatan have a long tenure, so the misogyny and unprofessional behavior seems ingrained in the company's culture. On top of all of this, engineering is incredibly limited in resources: access to tools, lab space, drafting resources are difficult, if not impossible, to come by.

Advice to Management

Management needs a complete overhaul. HR (currently no HR department) needs to strictly enforce rules about office behavior and sexual harassment. Management also needs to take a serious look at hiring practices and retention rates of women in the company - during my employment 5 women quit and were a very unrepresented minority. Although this company is located in the east bay and not silicon valley or SF, it's salaries and raises are far from competitive with the rest of the bay area. Even with a stellar annual review, an employee should expect only a 2-3% raise at best.

3. "stabile company with rewarding career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pitts, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pitts, PA

I have been working at Gatan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great technology with world wide sales

Cons

health benefits have declined over the years

Advice to Management

Organic growth needs to be primary driver of new products. Too many former KLA employees may not foster that development.

4. "IT Mismanagement"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Gatan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for my position, company does a good bit to make the employees feel as if they are a family (quarterly luncheons, gifts at Thanksgiving and Christmas), interesting technology. Decent budget, easy to get approval for IT requisitions.

Cons

Poor benefits, forced PTO during annual company shutdowns, poor IT management and environment. Very little room to grow in IT as it's a small team led by the Director.

Advice to Management

Hire a competent IT leader if you expect progress in the department.

"Great small, nimble high-tech company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Gatan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have a free creative hand at work to solve problems and make improvements as long as I convince people that I have their best interests at heart. Smart people who are generally very easy to talk to, from the hourly staff to the President. Very engaging and challenging technical field. And it's the perfect size company for me -- large enough to have power in its industry, and small enough to not get lost in the bureaucracy of a larger organization. The pay and benefits are good, too. My spouse and I agree that I'm the happiest at Gatan that I have ever been with any employer.

Cons

Some management and staff are more people-oriented than others, but that's true anywhere. As in any collection of engineers, you sometimes need to make people talk to each other and not just trade endless emails.

Advice to Management

Maintain the current balance of large company rigor and small company openness. Spend a little more effort mixing the management and staff from the different regions of the world, which will pay large dividends later when sharing information and problem solving. And Gatan logo shirts!

"Hard to innovate at Gatan"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Gatan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice people. Good work/life balance- the parking lot is empty by 5.15.

Cons

They don't know anything about software. Physicists write spaghetti code and think it's genius.

Advice to Management

Bring some software professionals in.

"Disappointed with my time here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Gatan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting problems to work on; friendly coworkers; reasonably flexible scheduling; monthly catered lunches

Cons

Dismal management, poor rewards, bad morale, culture of secrecy, low pay, low raises, no performance-related bonus

Advice to Management

Put down the stick and get a bag of carrots

"Lord of the Flies meets Goodfellas."

Current Employee - SQA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - SQA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Catered lunches by Subway. Good water pressure in the rest rooms. I'm drawing a blank.

Cons

The absolute worst management I have encountered in my career. Brazen mendacity is the part of the corporate culture. The approach to engineering relies on superhero performance from a few, with the rest along for the ride. Ad hoc project management is still used despite chronic failure to deliver on time.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for your mistakes and stop acting as proxies for your corporate overlords.

"A great place to let your career stagnate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Some very talented engineers work at Gatan, parts of the products were cutting edge at one time, unfortunately the company is running on intellectual fumes at this time.

Cons

Management is tone deaf, conceited and self-serving.
    Senior technical staff with tenure waste money on pie-in-the-sky research with no repurcusions.
    HR is AWOL

Advice to Management

Stop the boondoggle trips and do your jobs. Try promoting some of your people instead of focusing on your own promotion!

"Unsatisfactory"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Rank and file engineers are good coworkers, some of them a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Gatan management was not up to the task.

Advice to Management

Think less about personal advancment/perks/bonuses, more about the common good, decent work environment, playing by rules, rank and file employees.