GateHouse Media Reviews | Glassdoor

GateHouse Media CEO Kirk Davis
Kirk Davis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There's no room to grow your career at this company and upper management works their employees into the ground (in 32 reviews)

• No raises had been given in 10 years (in 28 reviews)

"Not a great outlook for the future here"

Current Employee - Copy Editor/Page Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Option to work from home
    Friendly people
    Okay benefits
    Some free snacks and food at times

Cons

No growth
    Company is currently cutting costs
    Not the best pay
    Salary raises are now a 2% merit system
    Holidays off are lottery based
    High turnover rate

"Circulation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Growing company. Work with good people.

Cons

Low pay, constant threats of job loss.

Advice to Management

Focus on people and your profit will grow.

3. "Former page designer/copy editor"

Former Employee - Copy Editor/Page Designer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Copy Editor/Page Designer in Austin, TX

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working 4 days a wekk

Cons

Low low pay, no real environment or perks, crappy insurance coverage. You work two 12 hours a day a week and people taking lunch or breaks is pretty non-existent.

Advice to Management

Higher pay and better hours. Offer some perks to make people excited about working for GateHouse

4. "Copy Editor/Page Designer"

Current Employee - Copy Editor/Page Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a Whataburger nearby

Cons

If you want to be overworked, understaffed, overlooked, underpaid, and work every single holiday imaginable you should definitely give this a shot they will go above and beyond to make sure it happens for you. You won't move up and even if you work the hardest and have a great record with your editors and team nobody will care at all.

5. "Executive"

Former Employee - Executive in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Executive in Columbus, OH

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They say all the right things to get you to join their team. Most of the people were decent. All staff are afraid of the most senior boss. The boss is no leader.

Cons

I can't stress enough how toxic and mismanaged the company is. Kirk Davis. You need to inspect what's going on at local levels. Senior mgmt. lie, change numbers reporting to corporate, demean staff, change commissions after month end to not pay, publisher profits because good friend has delivery contract of weekly paper. Kick back is highly probable. The churn in sales leaders has been one after another. Wake up Kirk Davis!

Advice to Management

Stop the sociopathic behavior of key property bosses. Board of Directors; I hope you're prepared. Most digital growth assets are tied to print heavily. If you consider this growth; think again . The churn is the worst. Best read the reviews here! ARE YOU? I can't believe you get any one to work for this company. WORST EVER.

"If you want a livable wage I'd suggest looking elsewhere."

Former Employee - Reporter in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Reporter in Boston, MA

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience if you want to be a journalist, great resume builder, freedom to manage a lot of responsibility and will help you build a lot of useful skills for future jobs, especially in writing, editing and reporting. Also, there is a great group of young multimedia journalists in the company and they're all awesome to work with.

Cons

If you are hoping to make more than $30k a year, I would suggest going elsewhere. There's no room to grow your career at this company and upper management works their employees into the ground. The insane work load and expectations are not at all matched with compensation. You get paid next to nothing, but you have to work long hours in a very stressful environment. This job is only a good fit for someone who is an EXTREMELY dedicated and passionate journalist looking to get experience (and either has a second income or has their parents helping them to pay rent.)

Advice to Management

You have to pay your employees more for the amount of work they're doing, because it should honestly be illegal to operate the company in this manner.

"Heartbreaking"

Current Employee - Multi Media Journalist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Multi Media Journalist in Boston, MA

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love the work and the people, lots of autonomy and flexibility on where to work and office hours. Smart people sharing ideas .

Cons

This is a failing company that doesn't care about its people, the product or the people who use the product. Underpaid and no raises, no mentoring and no chance for advancement . Depressed work staff who just want to do a good job. People use their own equipment because the company won't provide. Not surprisingly, very high turnover.

Advice to Management

Take some of the money you are using to acquire more newspapers and invest in your people.

"A stepping stone."

Current Employee - Team Lead in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly a really great team. You're able to focus on own work with minimal distractions. Management is eager to spell out processes as soon as they have been hammered out.

Cons

Not entirely supportive of individual growth. No incentives. Can become monotonous work. Not enough focus on the deeper issues of the system and instead continues to patch over them making it difficult to keep up with the changing programs.

Advice to Management

Individual attention and coaching is only positive and effective if there are actual incentives. Especially for team members who have been employed 5+ years.

"untitled"

Former Employee - Photographer in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Photographer in Needham, MA

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was lucky to work with some hard-working people who truly cared about the communities we covered.

Cons

The company seems to care more about the bottom line than about supporting their staff to bring quality journalism to the communities they serve. The staff is small and spread thin making it a challenge to do quality work. I have seen ethical lapses happen due to that which concerned me as a journalist. The general attitude seems to be to put your head down and don't make waves and maybe you won't get laid off during the next round of cuts. This is really sad because at the end of the day we are hurting the communities we are covering by not giving them the means to be informed citizens. I would recommend this to a friend only because there are some good people there, and though they are few and far between there are some opportunities to learn and grow and do work that benefits your community. It helps to have a partner or some sort of outside support so that you don't have to work a second job.

"Content Producer"

Former Employee - Content Producer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Content Producer in Austin, TX

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are nice. Free access to some learning tools at Poynter University.

Cons

The worst company’s I’ve ever worked for. Overworked and underpaid. During my time, more than four people left our team. As opposed to hiring new workers, the company went on an indefinite hiring freeze and dumped the remaining workload on everyone else. Upper management is terrible at communicating what is going on with the company and does not care about their employees provided they can save a buck. Do not work here.

Advice to Management

Don't acquire newspapers if you cannot afford the manpower to processed those newspapers.