GateHouse Media Reviews | Glassdoor

GateHouse Media Reviews

Updated January 9, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, good benefits, flexible hours (in 18 reviews)

• Good People to work with and a great environment to work in (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management communication is horrendous (in 34 reviews)

• No raises had been given in 10 years (in 30 reviews)

"When selling encyclopedias may be of value"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company still has a lot of customers and an audience that reads newspapers.

Cons

Antiquated sales forecasting and compensation model. No desire to change.

Advice to Management

Please wake up.

Dec 4, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your review. GateHouse Media is on the front-end of many new offerings in the digital space and is truly 'best in class' for many products. We are currently evaluating all areas of... More

"Run........and fast."

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time

Pros

Cannot think of any to share.

Cons

Corporate Monsters. All employees are overworked with multiple projects at one time, it's hard to maintain focus. Employee moral is non existent.

"Content Producer"

Former Employee - Content Producer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Content Producer in Austin, TX

I worked at GateHouse Media (More than a year)

Pros

Job provides a solid foundation for Adobe Indesign, Photoshop, AP style and access to some decent online journalism courses.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. Very little downtime. Terrible benefits/vacation time. Upper management communication is horrendous. Extremely high turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Quit acquiring newspapers when you don't have to the manpower to manage them. Provide your employees with decent wages and benefits. You all make me sick and should be ashamed.

4. "Marketing Assistant"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Erie, PA

I worked at GateHouse Media (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were great
    After a bit of deliberation, our union was able to grandfather in our severance deals from before Gatehouse bought us out which made the layoffs a bit more tolerable (Gatehouse's severance pay is ~2 days of pay for every 6 months or so I believe)
    The sales team was treated pretty well- 2 weeks paid training in Boston.
    Quiet (empty) working environment on account of all the layoffs.
    Corporate does know how to organize an event and sent special event coordinators for locally hosted events

Cons

Lots of downsizing
    I received 1 week notice prior to my layoff
    Lack of communication from corporate left the majority of our company very much in the dark
    An ineffable aura of despair does linger in the environment, surrounding a regular decline in profits
    Pay is about what you would expect from a company who's goal is to cut literally every cost

Advice to Management

I understand the business model, but charging people more for less of a product just makes everybody miserable.

MORE than one week notice prior to laying someone off would be considerate. Most employees would give their employer two weeks notice; anything less is unprofessional, especially coming from a national company.

Treat your employees like people not salaries that need to be contained.

"Still growing -- have some pains and some gains"

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time

Pros

This is an organization with many opportunities for journalism and marketing majors to learn the ropes. Some continue with GateHouse while others move on once they receive necessary training. A good stepping stone type of organization.

Cons

Given the basis in many communities throughout the united states I don't get the feel that there is much community among employees given that there are so many offices and such a high volume of off site work. Turnover appears high.

Advice to Management

Prioritize the employees and your advertisers. Recognize the work and value they bring to your company.

"Run - Run as fast as you can!"

Former Employee - Plant Manager in Mexico, MO
    Former Employee - Plant Manager in Mexico, MO

I worked at GateHouse Media (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros associated with Gatehouse Media and its management.

Cons

Poor management. Buys properties to gut and make huge profits and upper management bonuses. No loyalty or regards for employees. Hyper focused on digital platform.

Advice to Management

Stop!

Dec 4, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We hear you and are making every effort to improve company unity -- steps are being actively taken to unite our many properties with a positive corporate culture... More

"Alas"

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time

Pros

Paychecks do not bounce, yet.

Cons

No pay raises yet cost of benefits and living continue to rise. Dying industry that is grasping at straws to stay afloat and offer a tiny ROI to stockholders. Total disconnect between corporate overlords and anyone beneath them.

Advice to Management

We are people, hear us whimper.

"Company does not care about people. The older you are, the quicker they want you gone."

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at GateHouse Media (More than 10 years)

Pros

You know, I can't come up with one. No raises expensive insurance and no job security. If it were me, I'd look elsewhere.

Cons

Everything... See the no raises, low pay, bad benefits. Go elsewhere. There is no security here anymore. Any day could be your last.

Advice to Management

Care about people.

Dec 4, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your experiences with our company. We are disappointed to learn that despite over 10 years with the
    company, you were unhappy with your time at... More

"STAY AWAY EVEN IF UNEMPLOYED"

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You'll get hired immediately

Cons

This isn't one of those disgruntled reviews where wo is me and life is unfair because everyone owes me everything kind of review. Listen up they pay you pennies on the dollar expect millions in return especially if you are in sales and in my case management. I mean this literally and find a way not to pay commissions when you do somehow get to these ridiculous unachievable goals. Not to mention the plans/pay in place is a floating target that changes as the wind with no reason at all other than the main person in charge has to make budget. Think I'm joking try your luck and see and you'll be wishing the last job you left for reasons of micromanaging and you couldn't stand any longer will be a vacation because at least there you made money/commission even though you thought life was difficult under the hammer. They change company names locally and nationally under the region you're in only to try and disguise who they where to go back into the market and leach again from current and new customers. Somehow you make it past one year you've either figured out the algorithm you're in or you somehow have kissed the master's ring directly to stay aboard the never ending burning ship that you're on. I digress I've never seen in all my professional life anything like this and many amazing people move across the country to take on such a position only to lose EVERYTHING LITERALLY.

Advice to Management

I can't believe I'm saying this as I've read this time and again many times before me, but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you know exactly what you're doing and times will catch up after every bankruptcy you go through while gobbling up companies along the way because they have no choice but to sell because all of the assets are next to nothing to begin with. Folks there's a bigger picture here that nobody knows of other than the strategic corporate criminals above.

"Page designer"

Current Employee - Copy Editor/Page Designer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Copy Editor/Page Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced work environment keeps you on your toes.

Cons

Limited room to grow within the company.

Advice to Management

Hire more people so employees feel less strain.