Gateway Blend Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gabe Douek

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Flexible hours, lots of independence, great office space, lots of interesting people

Cons

Slight confusion about expectations and policies

Advice to Management

none

"Gateway Media / Gateway Blend Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO

I worked at Gateway Blend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of Swag, Free Beverages & Food 2x a week

Cons

Grab the swag while you can, because you may not be there long.
    People & Management are extremely introverted & don't talk much, it was like working in a library despite 1st impressions. Make sure they are using more than Facebook to drive traffic to their sites (other than Cinemablend-SEO'd) because they don't keep up on the changes & have MAJOR layoffs (Last one was 33% of the company).

Advice to Management

Get a grip on traffic strategies so your not hiring a bunch of people only to lay them off a few months later...Also try putting out some premium content vs your 3oo word crappy articles.

Gateway Blend Response

Apr 10, 2017 – Chief Operations Officer

Thank you for your honest feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to set the record straight and elaborate on some of your comments.  Your post makes it seem like we have had a series of layoffs ... More

"False Hope"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO

I worked at Gateway Blend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people for the most part although most of the time you feel like your working at a library it's so dang quiet and has little interaction among coworkers.

Cons

so dang quiet and has little interaction among coworkers & major issue is that they rely on ONE source of Traffic to their sites which is Facebook.

This is a management issue that caused a 30% layoff last April...Make sure to ask them what they are doing to resolve this...also Their SEO is not the right answer..Hopefully they've moved onto driving traffic from other sources other than FB.

Advice to Management

Diversify your traffic streams!! Peoples livelihoods are at stake here.

5. "Awesome place to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO

Pros

Awesome benefits probably the best anywhere. Great work environment and very fun people to work with. Senior management is always open to new ideas and willing to try new concepts to make the business better.

Cons

No cons for this company

6. "Hard work actually does pay off"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

-Management listens to everyone's ideas.
    -Data drives direction, not whims.
    -Advancement opportunities are as available as you want them to be. If you are willing to work for it, you will be rewarded.
    -Benefits are great.
    -Lots of small office perks (free weekly lunches, casual atmosphere, fun events). They aren't necessary or anything, but it's a nice gesture and it makes working more enjoyable.

Cons

Not going to mince words here, it can be fast-paced and very hard. There are a ton of priorities and projects going on at any given moment, and figuring out the best way to utilize your time is tough. There is always a lot more than can be done, and some days it feels like you'll never get to it all.

Advice to Management

Making sure that there are redundancies at every level is becoming more and more important. More structured project prioritization is an ongoing struggle, but worth the effort.

7. "5 Star Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gateway Blend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Top of the line benefits.
    Professional, friendly and fun employees.
    A work hard, play hard atmosphere.
    Consistent rewards for hard work!
    Management very helpful and knowledgable... if you show your passion for the industry, management sees it and helps you succeed!

Cons

I have no cons for this company or my position.

Advice to Management

Prioritization is key!

"West Coast web dev culture but in St. Louis!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gateway Blend full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the way this company approaches challenges. As a Senior Developer, my perspective is highly valued as our company pursues goals and hurdles road blocks. The day starts with our scrum and finishes with friendly smiles. I'm not making this up! Having worked in Seattle for 12 years, it is refreshing to find West Coast technological sensibilities right here in St. Louis.

I was promoted after 2 years and the opportunity is there for more personal growth. Benefits are 100% company paid for and matching 401k up to 6%!!! Who does that these days? Did I mention our CEO flew us down to New Orleans for our holiday party!

Cons

We are growing, so many of us are wearing several different hats. We need more talented people so I can focus on my job.

9. "Very Rewarding Work Place"

Current Employee - Reporting Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Reporting Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gateway Blend full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers are people I can trust and rely on everyday. Everyone pushes their limits and works smart and hard here. We're treated to a good lunch and breakfast once a week for free as well. I'd be very hard pressed to find the same level of bonus and benefits that are available here.

Cons

Some off-hour work is needed when learning new processes.

Advice to Management

More cross-training would probably help out everyone when it comes to highly specific-tasks. This would also help fill the gap when people are on vacation or out of the office.

"Fast-moving company full of brilliant minds"

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Gateway Blend full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Announce Media requires intelligence and the desire to work hard. There's plenty to learn (no matter your previous experience level) and good potential to move upwards.

Cons

As mentioned, the work is hard and sometimes management is distracted from the human side of the company. Also, salaries may not always be equitable.

Advice to Management

Improve / expand HR

Gateway Blend Response

Jun 12, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for the kind words and constructive feedback!

"If you are an avid learner and highly motivated person, working at AM can be an incredibly rewarding experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Working alongside some of the most intelligent people in the industry
    Great working environment - very relaxed, low stress environment
    Fast paced work environment - every new project is helping advance the company right away, and you can see how your work is helping immediately.
    Management is friendly and easy to approach, more of a team leader environment, than an over-your-shoulder boss.
    Learn valuable skills and insight into a rapidly growing industry
    Because it's a rapidly growing company, there are a lot of promotions- and most are internal.

Cons

Working with such motivated and intelligent people can be a bit intimidating if you aren't a driven individual.

For some, working in a fast-paced environment might not be ideal. There's no room for slacking.

It can take a while to get used to 8 hours in front of a computer screen. (Fortunately, there's a break room with snacks, and you're free to take breaks as you need them- as long as you get your work done!)

Bring a sweater or jacket.

Advice to Management

Continue everything you are doing now, AM is the best company I've worked for.