Gateway Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Thomas P. Britton

Pros
  • Helping others recognize self-destructive patterns and develop new, better ways to treat themselves and end suffering (in 4 reviews)

• Support for continuing education, i (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is low in comparison to the same title in this industry (in 4 reviews)

• Poor pay for clinical staff, out of touch, disrespectful, deceitful and profit centered administration (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good people but"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Gateway Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co workers and supervisors

Cons

Pay is not good at all

"Substance Abuse Counselor II"

Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor II in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor II in Springfield, IL

I worked at Gateway Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the hardest working staff Ive worked with. They understand the meaning of team. Management also worked with scheduled for continuing education. Free meals when working. Can earn hours for CADC.

Cons

Although it is a 'non-for-profit' they certainly put much effort into getting insurance clients to stay the longest amount of time possible, even if clinically it is not appropriate. They will kick out medicaid clients on the spot without notice if there is an insurance client wanting a bed. The caseloads are always too high due to the high turn over rate amongst staff when makes the documentation part of the job unmanageable leading to burning out their staff. They take advantage of hard working staff members and put too much on them, again burning them out. Management is very clicky and they play favorites. Overall it was a poor experience for myself.

Advice to Management

Disappointed in management.

"Counselor I"

Current Employee - Counselor I in Kyle, TX
    Current Employee - Counselor I in Kyle, TX

I have been working at Gateway Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience for the field in handling high caseloads and facilitating groups.

Cons

Overwhelmingly high caseloads and the curriculum is lacking.

Advice to Management

Update curriculum and hire more counselors.

5. "Rewarding yet painfully heartbreaking experience, I hoped for more with this company being a top provider."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gateway Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being able to help clients that may not be able to get care elsewhere. Great experience if you can manage the hostile work environment created by the ED, PD, and supervisors. Learning the positives and negatives of nonprofit organizations. Paid time off if approved. Great health benefits, likely being the only thing keeping the employees they have. Lunch is provided but with limits. The people I work with are phenomenal, doing all they can with what we have to manage. Mostly passionate and supportive co-workers.

Cons

West has become increasingly hostile. Supervisors are promoted through favoritism not through qualifications. They will treat you poorly and pick at the smallest issue in order to push you to quit. They do not like employees that voice concern for poor practice and the culture of bullying, that has become the "foundation" in Gateway. Schedules are no longer flexible to create space for furthering your education. Trainings do not exist. Client care is the last thing on the mind of the ED. PPI clients are treated as "special" while DASA clients are thrown out. If a client is not a "good" client, GW does not want to serve them, however, these are the clients that need the most compassion. Demands are high and employees are dropping like flies, especially the ones that are highly qualified.

Advice to Management

CEO open your eyes to the high turnover and jump in to fix it before west is run down to nothing. Clear out upper management currently employed like done with the corporate office. Hire or promote qualified supervisors, dedicated to the organization's mission. Supervisors that are passionate about the organization, employees, and client care. Remember if you take good care of your employees and they love their jobs, they will work for this population even with the low pay. Stop treating your best employees poorly and promote them. Update curriculum and train! Stop allowing bullying and retaliation. Require upper management to have higher level clinical degrees. Take employees concerns seriously.

6. "This Company is the worst company I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - LCDC I in Richmond, TX
    Former Employee - LCDC I in Richmond, TX

I worked at Gateway Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to help people if you can get through the political nonsense and or employee bullying and horrible leadership.

Cons

bullying atmosphere...... misleading jobs..... overworked.....stress.....disrespect… Unethical...... and the worst part is the company does not help people. horrible atmosphere.... i would like to give 0 stars. Gateway is the real crook.

Advice to Management

quit.....clean house.....promote the good employees

"Counselor 2"

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Carbondale, IL
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Carbondale, IL

I have been working at Gateway Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A sense of fulfillment for helping individuals with trauma histories.

Cons

A culture of bullying by creating unrealistic workloads that prey on staff's desires to be successful, while being set up to fail daily, through consistent staffing shortages that have occurred for years, but are consistently being promised to be quickly resolved. No respect for staff, and no support for individuals employed when they experience any hardship, or simply want to expand their professional goals... Punitive actions taken when staff cant keep up professional licensure while being over worked. Completely unsupportive of staff.

Advice to Management

Value your employees rather than treating them like a constantly renewable resource to keep from having to pay for experience and increased payroll overhead by intentionally burning out seasoned counselors when they become too expensive.

"A sad for-big-profit wannabe"

I worked at Gateway Foundation full-time

Pros

As is the case with the vast majority of treatment centers across the country, the frontline clinical staff members are dedicated to serving folks in need.

Cons

Corporate leadership puts revenue and profit ahead of the welfare and needs of employees and clients.

Advice to Management

Don't stop or discourage rank-and-file employees from organizing for collective bargaining as in the past.

"Counselor"

Former Employee - Counselor in Burnet, TX
    Former Employee - Counselor in Burnet, TX

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with.

Cons

The current pay scale is too low.

"Love the work we do!"

Current Employee - Counselor II in Carbondale, IL
    Current Employee - Counselor II in Carbondale, IL

I have been working at Gateway Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clinical staff is excellent, free meals, free continuing education hours, great work environment, plenty of PTO and holiday pay, open door policy with management.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, understaffed at all times high turnover, too liberal with addictive medication client can choose to maintain their addiction while in treatment just new drugs that our doctors prescribe.

Advice to Management

Stop the drug maintenance it is killing your clients. Raise the pay and you might keep the quality staff you do have, just because people are passionate about what they do doesn't mean they shouldn't have a decent living. You want highly educated, well experienced people but don't want to pay them for it that is the biggest mistake at Gateway.

11. "LCDC-CI"

Current Employee - Counselor II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Counselor II in Houston, TX

I have been working at Gateway Foundation (More than a year)

Pros

A great place to learn.

Cons

not competitive in salary and high turnovers rate