Gavin de Becker & Associates Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2020

3.8
Gavin de Becker & Associates Chairman and CEO Gavin de Becker (no image)
Gavin de Becker
Pros
  • "I've been with GDBA for over 5 yrs now(in 33 reviews)

• "When I graduated from college in 2007, I wanted a career that valued hard work, integrity and had an opportunity to grow(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "But don't hold yourself to that, this is GDBA where we all start in the bottom as EPS trainees(in 19 reviews)

• "Difficult work / life balance at times(in 16 reviews)

1. "Great EP company"

Former Employee - Senior Team LEader in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay and advancement. GDBA's training is among the best in the business.

Cons

Long hours due to short staff

April 1, 2020Recruiter

Thank you for this review. We will continue to move forward with nothing but the best leadership and training for our employees and protectors.

2. "Many opportunities, but not a lot of upward movement"

Former Employee - Protector in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunities all over the world.

Cons

Can get lost in the Good ole boy network

3. "Could Be Better, Could Be Worse"

Current Employee - Security Staff Agent

I have been working at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

The industry standard for executive protection firms. If you get on a good detail, there are opportunities for travel. Work/life balance used to be pretty bad but it is getting better.

Cons

Pay is horrible when compared to other firms, very little room for advancement in the company. You will be stuck in a command center unless you have a full career of law enforcement under your belt, otherwise your background means very little to them (former military and government security contractor and I was paid the same as someone who only had college). Benefits are horrible.

May 29, 2020Recruiter

Thank you for your input. We are certainly working on improvements within the company and appreciate your feedback.

"Good to start your career"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits: health care, gym membership, unlimited PTO. Good place to start your career.

Cons

I used to work in the corporate office. There’re some nice people, but there’s also a lot of corporate nonsense. Hierarchy is everything. Things are not transparent. My supervisor lied to me and my coworker a few times. Can you imagine how it feels to work for someone you can’t even trust? If you work in tech, I do not recommend you work here because it could be frustrating, because the company isn’t technology oriented at all. The tech supports and the software engineer are underpaid. Pay increases are nearly impossible. But it’s fine if you just graduated and need a place to start your career. And if you’re a software engineer, good luck. Because you’ll be in a one-man team that handles anything and everything that’s related to software - maybe 10% of your time will be really used for development. Lastly, the way they handled separation was extremely unprofessional. I got another job opportunity worked out, so I asked the leadership if they can match the pay. I don’t think that was a wrong thing to do. But instead of getting a pay increase, or even a rejection with some explanation, I got an email stating that my email was deemed as my formal resignation, effective immediately. They didn’t even need me to give them a two-week notice to hand over the work. And that was how they treated someone who worked his butt off for them for three years. GDBA, if you’re reading this, you probably already figured out who’s writing this. But I would like to make one thing clear - I’m writing this only to help others, letting them know what they’re getting themselves into and what they can expect.

March 30, 2020Recruiter

Hello, thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are sorry that your time at GDBA ended as such, as it is not a reflection of how to want to treat invaluable employees. Thank you for the effort and dedication you have given our organization in the past 3-4 years and we wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors.

5. "Get wasted"

1.0
    Current Employee - Rod Buster in New Smyrna Beach, FL

I have been working at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good job if you want to get stoned all the time. I mean everyone is stoned.

Cons

Pay. And everyone is totally wasted all the time. Hillbilly mentally.

May 29, 2020Recruiter

Thank you for your review. GDBA stands by an 100% drug-free, nicotine-free work policy and will continue to do so.

6. "Great"

Former Employee - SSA

I worked at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everything was dandy loved all I learned

Cons

Nothing was bad at all everything great

March 6, 2020Recruiter

Thank you for the review. We are glad to hear you had a positive experience with us here at GDBA.

7. "Good company, very pro military."

4.0
    Former Employee - Security Staff Agent II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very military friendly good pay, great career opportunities.

Cons

SSA's are expected to work whenever available, 60hr+ work weeks are too common. And grooming standards are far too restrictive.

February 24, 2020Recruiter

Thank you for your review. We are certainly working to improve the schedules for Security Staff Agents and take your feedback into consideration.

"GDBA is a JOKE"

1.0
    Former Employee - Security Agent in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stepping stone to a better Job

Cons

Cons - working for these Cons.

February 24, 2020Recruiter

We thank you for taking the time to leave a review, and apologize your experience here didn't meet your expectations. We are continuing to try to reach the highest standards of culture and care here for the entire organization, but especially within the Protective Security Division.

9. "Good career, however pay could be better compared to other companies in the bay. But overall good job"

4.0

I have been working at Gavin de Becker & Associates

Pros

Benefits, training, coworkers, management is ok

Cons

Pay, work life balance, some people get picked to become supervisor quick most of us don’t...

February 24, 2020Recruiter

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are constantly looking at ways in which to make our employees experience here at GDBA the best it can be, and this includes work/life balance as well as pay. We also try to put in place a merit-based system that is fair for all.

10. "Gavin de Becker & Assocaites"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great Pay. Great stepping stone for law enforcement. Top quality training and experience in the Executive Protection field. A lot room for advancement. Lots of promotions within first 2 years.

Cons

Long hours. Tough work-life balance (but manageable) Work is primarily in Los Angeles and the Bay Area so if you do not live around the area then you will do some commuting. Traffic is also rough.

February 24, 2020Recruiter

Thank you for the feedback. Recruitment is diligently working on getting sites filled with protectors to allow employees a better work/life balance and hope this continues to improve over time.

Found 142 reviews