Gavin de Becker & Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 17, 2019

3.8
Gavin de Becker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "When I graduated from college in 2007, I wanted a career that valued hard work, integrity and had an opportunity to grow" (in 14 reviews)

• "Great training by Instructors who have a wealth of experience whether its Military, EMS, or Federal Law Enforcement" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Coming from working a traditional work schedule (8 hour work days M-F) it was an adjustment to get use to the 12 hour shifts" (in 12 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance is terrible, ever-changing schedule on a weekly basis" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great Career"

Current Employee - Special Field Services in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Special Field Services in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It can take you as far as you want to go. If you have an idea, it can be implemented if you make your case as long as it makes the company better. There is none of that "That's just the way it is." The company is big enough to where if you do not fit to a particular "Detail", you can be switched to place you where you can succeed.

Cons

The dynamic schedule is tough. It is not the job for everybody. Be honest with yourself if you have to commute far in traffic.

"Office position"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Glendale, CA

I worked at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, consistent schedule, friendly environment

Cons

Requires a high level of confidentiality

"Excellent career choice"

Former Employee - Senior Team LEader in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Team LEader in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to grow, to travel, to learn, train, work with great people, with fellow veterans, with seasoned professionals. Overall, a very real place to make a career at. Pay was great, health benefits were top tier, paid vacation: awesome.

Cons

Regular schedule changes, balancing work and personal time can be challenging in the beginning.

Advice to Management

Nearing 1,000 employees is so awesome and a reflection of GDBA's quality of service to its clients, as well as effective leadership within its ranks. I'm forever grateful to have played even a small role in that.

"Growth Opportunities!"

Former Employee - Protector in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Protector in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GDBA continues to amaze me! After continued growth within our field, GDBA continues to develop opportunities for their employees to grow and gain career success. If you have a great work ethic and willing to work in a unique and challenging setting, then GDBA is your calling.

Cons

Being a professional protector of lives takes time and practice. A career in protection is challenging because our actions hinge on the safety and security of those we seek to protect on a daily basis. Graduating from our academy is only a start and provides you with the tools to succeed. Ultimately, its up to you to put in the time and focus on becoming a true professional.

Advice to Management

Investing in your employees is critical to the success of the mission. GDBA has made tremendous strides in serving its' employees at a high level and in promoting a culture of people who are driven by the same mission. Consequently, having a better culture of CARE empowers employees to provide and focus on the safety and security of our clients.

"Returning GDBA Employee"

Current Employee - Program Director
    Current Employee - Program Director

I have been working at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I graduated from college in 2007, I wanted a career that valued hard work, integrity and had an opportunity to grow. That is when I found GDBA. GDBA gave me the opportunity to learn, grow and I progressed to a managerial role in my first year. After working for GDBA for seven years, my wife accepted a new opportunity out of the city. Because of this, I resigned from GDBA and worked in the education field. During my four years working as a teacher, there was not a day that I did not think about GDBA and I would often catch myself reviewing GDBAs website hoping for an opportunity in my area. That opportunity arrived in 2018 and now I have the chance to oversee a division while traveling and working from a local office closer to home.

Cons

The schedule was challenging at first

"Security Staff Agent"

Current Employee - Security Staff Agent in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Security Staff Agent in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits for the employees

Cons

Work/Life balance is terrible, ever-changing schedule on a weekly basis. Consistent inconsistency.

Advice to Management

Increase staffing. Adjust work/life balance for your agents, Listen to the input of your agents since you ask for it, don't ask for it and then do nothing about it.

"Toxic Work Enviroment and Leadership"

Current Employee - Security Staff Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Security Staff Agent in San Francisco, CA

Pros

High pay for entry level work
    Decent training
    4 day work week
    When employees are happy its a great work enviroment

Cons

Toxic work environment - everyone is constantly upset with leadership and always ready to quit.

The chain of command is extremely convoluted. There can be multiple Team leaders, Directors and Shift Leaders constantly enforcing different styles of management.

You are a contractor, an expendable number, for a for profit private company.

That four day work week? That does not always happen. You may end up working 8 days in a row. You may end up working a midnight shift and expected to work a day shift 24 hours later. You may receive a call and end up working a midnight shift one day after a day.

They constantly hold the entry level employees to a standard that leadership does not follow.

Advice to Management

Stop breaking rules in your own Policy Handbook. Stop expecting low level employees to be held to a high standard just to break your own rules.
    Treat us like ACTUAL humans instead of just warm bodies to fill a room.

"Regional Director"

Current Employee - Regional Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Variety of Work and rewarding, fast paced dynamic environments and clients
    - Lots of room for personal growth. If you're able create value, the company will reward it
    - The company is rapidly growing creating numerous advancement opportunities
    - Good benefits
    - The company heavily recruits and hires military veterans and current/former law enforcement.
    - Continued training hosted by the company, and encouragement to seek out and attend your own training - which company will often reimburse

Cons

- It is a service based company, so last minute client requests and scheduling adjustments are a constant
    - Because it is a client based industry with many around the clock 24 hour operations with last minute requests, etc. associates often have to work or tend to client/team needs at all hours. If you're looking for a 9 - 5 where you can simply turn it off when you leave, this isn't it - this applies more to those in management positions then simply team members.

Advice to Management

Continue cultivating your relationships; not only with clients and those around them, but also within your teams. Work to embrace the culture and those around you will begin to follow suit.

"SSA 3"

I worked at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time

Pros

- EPS Academy (Free 5-9 days)
    - Online Academy’s
    - Mentoring
    - Some very good leaders and practitioners
    - Experience Gained due to openings and client events.

Cons

The pay is on the lower end. If you leave to gain better opportunity - if you were at all an asset upper management may slander you. They have a reputation for it. They specialize in the outer ring of protection, so EP positions are few and far between. If you want a shot at doing roles that include traveling and close protection you must gain experience somewhere else first. They train you but most managers (not including the stout leadership from HQ) lack the ability to develop new talent. After EPS the company doesn’t offer any classroom/Feild training to develop advanced protection skills, outside of Threat Assesment Management. Which could be why they prefer operators with past experience. Leadership in certain regions especially do not value work life balance. The scheduling is extremely bad. For some reason a rotating schedule like 2-2-3-3 or 4 on 4 off doesn’t exist.

Advice to Management

There are some really good managers and directors, some that truly care about your development. Invest in training for your teams, develop better relationships with the client. Don’t speak bad about people who leave because they don’t fit the culture. Fix your scheduling, don’t be the boss who is afraid of letting your Junior agents shine! Don’t get upset when you send guys through mentoring and they use the advice to speak up. When an Agent expresses interest in expanding their abilities through experience, don’t label them as a malcontent.

"Poor Management, High Stress Levels, Irregular Schedules"

Former Employee - Member Services in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Member Services in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The compensation is okay. If you are one of the favorites, they will treat you very well and promote you quickly with little experience.

Cons

This company is very sexist and definitely favors Men. They have young managers who don't know what they are doing with very little experience but given a lot of authority. I've known plenty of people that have gotten into sticky situations with this company where the company screws them over. They are very set in their ways and are not willing to change.

Advice to Management

Get managers with experience. Don't micromanage your employees. Treat your employees with respect and they will respect you. Be honest with your expectations when hiring.