Gazillion Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Dave Dohrmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Work doesn't feel like work!"

Current Employee - Corporate Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super passionate employees, strong executive leadership, fun work environment, catered lunches and employee activities/outings. The people at Gazillion really care about each other- this is truly the first company I have worked for that feels like one big family.

There is a lot of opportunity to grow and learn here. Everyone works as a team, and new ideas are not only welcomed, but encouraged.

Cons

Foster City is a bit of a commute from the city. Aside from that, I really don't have any complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! It's really exciting being part of this new direction that the company is taking. The town halls have been really helpful with keeping everyone on the same page.

2. "Great while it lasted"

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time

Pros

Great people, lots of focus on doing good work

Cons

It didn't last long. I was only around less than a year before the company ended

3. "Badly Mismanaged"

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The game was fun and had potential.

Cons

Too many to concisely list, sunk by those at the top.

Advice to Management

Its been said before, there was just too much wrong with our CEO, who brought the wrong kind of attention to our company and led to its demise.

4. "Out of Business"

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time

Pros

Everyone was great excepting very senior management.

Cons

Doesn't exist anymore, company closed in Nov 2017.

"Prod Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, lots of fun, Good product is updated regularily.

Cons

Crazy atmosphere, meetings never start on time, lots of change always.

Advice to Management

Set more regular hours , people arrive and leave different times, difficult to get work done , have regular schedule for meetings.

"The worst of the worst."

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time

Pros

They have snacks and bring in lunch a few times a week.
    Some of the employees are incredibly professional and pleasant to be around, let's say 80%.
    I'd even say a few of them are genuinely talented.
    These are truly the only two good things I could consider "Pros".

Cons

There's one review that likens the negative experiences working at this company to ordering food and not getting ketchup on the side or something nonsensical like that.
    This person, like many others at this company, are the sole reason it's terrible.
    It's become a cult of "well, sure they ask us to work 60+ hours a week, but we get to go to movies and put toys on our desks!"
    That doesn't at all make up for the toxic upper management, the lack of professional demeanor in colleagues, and eschewing of formal methodologies.
    This is your job and the place you have to spend most of your week at.
    It should be as welcoming and pleasant as possible so you can be productive and effective at your choice of profession.

Before I arrived at Gazillion I led a massive, multi-team project at a multi-billion dollar company without a single issue or hiccup; nothing except humility, praise, and success.
    I also worked as a lead on a game for a top 20 Fortune 500 company that had a budget that was at least 25 times the amount this company has spent in its lifetime.
    When I got to Gazillion I was treated like a junior, yelled and cursed at in meetings, told exactly how to perform my job, and generally distrusted with every decision I made.
    In some cases, upper management would wait until I left the building and would have engineers implement something without me knowing until the next day.
    I politely brought this up to the person in charge who responded extremely aggressively, never looked me in the eye once, started rambling nonsense, and walked out of the room and down the hall still talking to avoid directly addressing me.
    I just sat there in disbelief.
    What else was there to do?

I once sat in a discovery meeting where a manager yelled for two straight hours to the point it turned into a temper tantrum the likes of which I've never seen from a grown man.
    I was essentially mortified for this person.

There was an engineer who would test the game and then make user stories for things that this person thought should be changed and insert it into our Kanban. They didn't bother to ask our PM or ask if the changes fit into the roadmap. They just did it because they simply didn't have any formal training with real software methodologies.

These are just a few examples of the good times in store for you at Gazillion!
    I generally was trying to help instill a more professional and modern method of working and was basically made to feel as bad as humanly possible for it.

In short, upper management are turgid, bullying, know-it-alls who refuse to listen to anything they find to be a differing opinion.
    It was a nightmare and easily the worst place I've ever worked without a close second.
    You've been warned.

Advice to Management

Sweeping terminations should be completed at the upper management level; no one at that level should be left.
    Worst case; make managers with anger issues go to counselling or give them walking papers.
    No one should feel nervous or hesitant to enter an office they have to work in as much as you expect them to with that on their shoulders.

Advice to the current CEO; learn who your employees are, not just the ones you play fantasy football with or the young, attractive producers.

Proper methodologies should be put in place and trust given to your workers to avoid unnecessary panic and overtime.
    It's 2017, not 2007 or 1997 for that matter.

HR shouldn't be an afterthought.

And if someone shows up dressed as an anime character or bunny rabbit or something on a day that isn't Halloween, make them go home and change.
    I understand that you're trying to be flexible and open to people's personal tastes, but isn't there a line somewhere?

"Sr. DBA"

Former Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Foster City, CA

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

dynamic environment, great for young people with interest in gaming industry, free ordered lunched (Tue and Thu)

Cons

Need to be available all the time when the dev team working

"terrible work hours"

Former Employee - Environment Artist in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Environment Artist in Foster City, CA

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

a good place for non-honors degree holder to start out at. Being a small company, gazillion would hire most people with a pass degree

Cons

Extremely unfair and long work hours for artist. Artist work for about 10-15 hours/day while engineers work for about 5-10 hours/day, very different from other companies in the same industry.

Poor management consist of people who are fired from bigger companies like activision,riot,EA,ubisoft

Advice to Management

Please review your decisions and not make the same mistake that caused you to be fired in the first place

"A Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None currently. Some years back I got to work with extremely talented individuals, but they've all left.

Cons

Management. Couldn't find a bigger gaggle of idiots if you tried. Completely oblivious to the reality about the development of their game. Constantly forcing out bug riddled code due to not firing idiot developers. They can't hire good ones because this company has become a joke over the past several years. Not to mention, they simply don't have the money.

The only reason I'm still here is because I want to see what a company looks like when it goes under. I have connections at other companies and will be fine.

I feel bad for those who don't. Though, to be honest, the majority of them aren't competent....so they probably don't really deserve it.

Advice to Management

It's a little too late, but here it goes.

You should have listened to your more senior staff/developers. When we told you forcing out code/patches that were riddled with known game breaking bugs, it wasn't going to make us look good.

Never listen to the lowest common denominator. I understand it may see the vocal minority on the forums of the games are the voice of the playerbase, but they never are. Some really solid ideas for the games got X'd because you all listened to the whiners. This really screwed us out of revenue we needed to hire better talent instead of the 3rd rate idiots you all scrapped the bottom of your family trees for.

When you constantly punished the playerbase, they were eventually going to snap back, and now they've got their pitchforks and are looking for blood.

"No one special"

Pros

Good snacks to eat at lunch

Cons

Poor growth for career. No one to play magic with