Gazillion Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dave Dohrmann

"Work doesn't feel like work!"

Current Employee - Corporate Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super passionate employees, strong executive leadership, fun work environment, catered lunches and employee activities/outings. The people at Gazillion really care about each other- this is truly the first company I have worked for that feels like one big family.

There is a lot of opportunity to grow and learn here. Everyone works as a team, and new ideas are not only welcomed, but encouraged.

Cons

Foster City is a bit of a commute from the city. Aside from that, I really don't have any complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! It's really exciting being part of this new direction that the company is taking. The town halls have been really helpful with keeping everyone on the same page.

2. "A Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None currently. Some years back I got to work with extremely talented individuals, but they've all left.

Cons

Management. Couldn't find a bigger gaggle of idiots if you tried. Completely oblivious to the reality about the development of their game. Constantly forcing out bug riddled code due to not firing idiot developers. They can't hire good ones because this company has become a joke over the past several years. Not to mention, they simply don't have the money.

The only reason I'm still here is because I want to see what a company looks like when it goes under. I have connections at other companies and will be fine.

I feel bad for those who don't. Though, to be honest, the majority of them aren't competent....so they probably don't really deserve it.

Advice to Management

It's a little too late, but here it goes.

You should have listened to your more senior staff/developers. When we told you forcing out code/patches that were riddled with known game breaking bugs, it wasn't going to make us look good.

Never listen to the lowest common denominator. I understand it may see the vocal minority on the forums of the games are the voice of the playerbase, but they never are. Some really solid ideas for the games got X'd because you all listened to the whiners. This really screwed us out of revenue we needed to hire better talent instead of the 3rd rate idiots you all scrapped the bottom of your family trees for.

When you constantly punished the playerbase, they were eventually going to snap back, and now they've got their pitchforks and are looking for blood.

"Still enjoying it years later."

Current Employee - Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Gazillion Entertainment full-time

Pros

- Everyone is friendly, there are no cliques.
    - Flexible work environment.
    - You can work directly with all disciplines.
    - Communication with upper management is improving.

Cons

- Things do not always feel stable.

Advice to Management

None, if what all has been said is true.

"Great Experiance"

Former Employee - IT Support in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - IT Support in Oakland, CA

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment (More than a year)

Pros

Gazillion did a great job at making employees feel like they were appreciated via company parties, movie outings and Giants games. I met a lot of extremely talented individuals, I'm proud to say I can call my friends outside of work.

Cons

Transparency with management & VP's.

Advice to Management

Work on communication.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - CA - California in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - CA - California in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment, flexible hours, small team feel. We play ultimate frisbee everyday. Marvel Heroes is a great up and coming game, and we work on making it better everyday.

Cons

The work schedule here can be a bit crazy. Planning isn't as tight as most would like. Expect to get slammed with an important feature or bug fix at the last minute before a build.

Advice to Management

Management should try to keep everyone in the company more informed about whats going on. We should focus more on quality over quantity.

"Short-Lived Dream Team"

Former Employee - Senior Artist in Sammamish, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Artist in Sammamish, WA

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Inverted pyramid of talent.
    Best Art team ever.

Cons

Gazillion closed the studio.

Advice to Management

Regroup!

"Fantastic Company!"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Foster City, CA

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome product, Marvel Heroes but the best part of this company is the team! A very friendly and talented group of people. The company moved into a beautiful office in October which has 360 views of everything from the Foster City lagoon to the San Francisco Bay.

Cons

I don't have much to add to this section. It is a small company so everyone wears a lot of hats and works really hard. That hard work is rewarded and everyone takes a lot of pride in their job.

Advice to Management

I wish the company the very best! Management has done a great job of rewarding employees for their hard work.

"Senior Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Foster City, CA

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the best place to work. It has the glamour of any start up: nice, beautiful offices with a lot of art decoration, full free stock kitchen with snacks, soft drink, candies, cookies... The management teams are talented veterans with vision and passion. They fully support the development of staff and provide the best guidance. Working there is a dream comes true for me. Thanks for the wonderful memories.

Cons

Free snacks will make you gain weight quickly if not paying attention

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You guys are the best.

"Going places fast!"

Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Team - No real politics, truly player focused, well-oiled machine, and supportive of employees (to a fault, almost)

Huge games, huge IP - Marvel Heroes and Super Hero Squad are live games that are always hungry for fresh, new ideas

Huge opportunities - This company has paid its dues, and are now reaping the benefits. Gaz is poised to make some huge strides as they apply force from their new foothold.

Perks - Great location, fun culture, and marvel movies free!

Cons

Hard work - Those games are always, always hungry. Iteration is fast and furious. Decisions must be made both carefully and swiftly.

Advice to Management

The team is enjoying a positive feedback loop of improvement, so just keep up your work of supporting morale and keep supplying the resource to succeed.

"A terrible experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many in my experience. Free candy/snacks and "car wash food" (ramen noodles, pop tarts, etc)

Cons

Was sometimes bullied into working weekends without pay by certain managers
    Raises were under 25 cents
    Volatile developers who were unprofessional and very confrontational when the didn't get their way, made for a very uncomfortable work environment
    Nepotism runs strong
    As mentioned in another review, some managers literally watched movies (Netflix) 8 hours a day for several months on end, instead of supporting their department and doing their job
    Bad decision making simply ran rampant and the games and community suffered for it
    QA was forbidden to participate in weekly social gatherings the studio held resulting in poor morale

Advice to Management

Set a higher bar when hiring people