Geary LSF Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Karen Kovaleski

1. "Crazy experience"

I worked at Geary LSF full-time

Pros

culture was on point. team members were smart and experienced.

Cons

communication was definitely lacking in many of the areas. exec team tended to be disconnected from what was really going on.

2. "Account Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Geary LSF (More than a year)

Pros

Work Enviornment was pleasant in a good location downtown SF

Cons

Lack of transparency and value put on the wrong clients

3. "Digital Agency"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Geary LSF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun agency that paid well

Cons

They went out of business

Advice to Management

Get back in business

5. "Cool but closed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

The people are like family

Cons

Broken processes, no tools given to succeed

Advice to Management

Hang in there mgmt

6. "Not sure what to put here"

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Salary somewhat below market rate

Advice to Management

Nothing

"False Promises - Inexperienced Management - Crumbling Company"

I worked at Geary LSF full-time

Pros

You are going to work with some very intelligent and experienced production level staff. Mid level management is questionable at times. Depending on who hasn't left, you can really gain a lot of valuable experience and learn a lot in a relatively short amount of time.

Flexible work schedule depending on the office you work in. Each office and manager is different but if you land the right one, you can have a great work schedule.

There are really cool people in the offices to get to know. There are the snobs and those who still act like it's high school but overall great people to be around.

If you want a raise, just tell your manager that you are looking and aren't satisfied with your current pay level. 2 - 4 weeks later you'll have a raise. Goals of the company isn't just client retention but employee retention as well. Talk about walking out, you get a raise :)

They do have team building events that are pretty good. Usually monthly. Keep in mind, the hours you spend at the event or participating at the office you'll be working after hours or on the weekends to catch up.

Cons

Where do I begin?

I'll outline problems within GLSF that can't be dismissed by talking around them in an interview or in casual conversation. GLSF has had 3 CEO's in around 2 years (problem?). Executive, director and manager level employees leaving (problem?). Lack of experience at management and executive level.

GLSF has continues to promote employees up the ranks vs. going out and hiring the right skill set for the position. It works two ways for them though. It's a great way for employee retention and also not letting people know they can't get anyone to hire for the position. The GLSF brand is poor and others in the agency world know it.

I would rate 1 star to offset the false 5 star ratings they give themselves but there is value of having a job where you can learn so much so quick. Just don't get caught staying too long before you make the jump to a real agency with a working business model.

Each year you will be lobbied into voting GLSF as best place to work every year. To help lobby your vote, management and marketing frames this as it will help the company get more talented applicants to interview. They get the awards but not the talent.

Lack of ability to discipline key employee's. There are employee's that will continually act like they're still in high school and break rules. If you prove to be of value, you'll have liberties at a "Mad Med" marketing agency level.

You will get double crossed at some point. Everyone is always looking to move up, get in with decision makers and influencers of the company. It's only time before some co-worker sells you out.

The reviews you see in the last couple of years has been a great effort by management and marketing rating themselves as a company. They can play with GlassDoor's ratings but ask them in an interview if the company is currently profitable, what their current employee churn rate is, what is their current client churn rate and how many CEO's has GLSF gone through in the last couple years. Watch the reaction and dancing around the answers, you'll see the red flags.

Advice to Management

Don't continue to act like you're making good decisions and playing off the monthly bad news like it's nothing. Employee's see the numbers, see the churn and challenges. They know more than you think and are actively talking about it.

The quality employee's that remain are there for a paycheck, benefits and looking. If you don't reassess and change at the management level, just sell already if the board will let you.

Step 1, concede buying companies, merging them and then selling the company didn't work. Step 2, bring in a agency veteran level CEO that will clean house and right the ship.

I do wish you good luck. GLSF was once a great agency to be a client of and work at.

8. "Crumbling Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at Geary LSF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Co-Workers but employee churn is so high I don't know whether that is still accurate. Management is very accommodating to people with families.

Cons

For three years I listened to monthly meetings talking about how great the company was doing while seeing our financial situation collapse. They talk about "Purple Cows" and being everything to everyone when what they really need to do is ditch all of the nickel-priced clients they have that run in the red month after month.

During my last few months with the company I'd see 2-4 employees leave per month that had been at the company 2+ years.

Geary LSF treated me well during my tenure but leaving this company was the best decision I've made in years.

Advice to Management

Find an experienced CEO who will be able to restructure the company into something profitable. Your current leadership just doesn't have the caliber to do this.

9. "An true team environment"

Current Employee - Earned Media Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Earned Media Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Geary LSF full-time

Pros

Geary LSF does a great job of hiring genuinely intelligent, innovative people. I am consistently pleasantly surprised and inspired by the work that we do, and the ideas that team members contribute. Learning and personal growth are encouraged within the company through a variety of resources and internal meetings, which keeps employees engaged and up-to-speed on recent developments within the industry: crucial skills for digital marketing.

More so, Geary LSF really operates as a team-- there's frequent, productive communication across departments. I can honestly say that I really enjoy being at work every day. Work hard, play hard-- it's a motto that definitely applies around here

Cons

As with any agency, when things get busy, they get REALLY busy. Work has to get done; so you can't always just check out at 5 every day. Everyone handles stress differently, but for the most part, people buckle down during crunch time and get things done efficiently.

Advice to Management

We've started doing this more lately, but individual recognition from superiors goes a long way, especially as we continue to grow as a company.

Jun 23, 2015 – Marketing Manager

Hi There, Thank you for providing your feedback and letting us know what you like about GLSF and where we can improve. We'll continue to focus on creative ways to recognize the teams and the awesome ... More

10. "Great Opportunity to Learn and Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Geary LSF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with such highly intelligent and hardworking group motivates me every day to try harder and do better. As a result, I’ve learned and grown as a digital marketer more than I could have ever imagined in the year and eight months that I’ve work at Geary LSF. My peers are amazing mentors and management constantly provides opportunities to learn more and get involved in projects outside our comfort zone so that we can diversify our skills.

Management is in reaching distance and they care about your concerns. There is no company that you are going to get exactly what you want 100% of the time, but here you can at least count on management to listen and try to find a solution that works for everyone.

When listing the pro's of Geary LSF, you certainly can't forget the people. Working with people that you can count on and know they care about their job makes coming to work every day more enjoyable. While friendships come pretty natural here, Geary LSF encourages employees to hangout by organizing scavenger hunts, baseball games, parties and more. I don’t think you will find a more fun or inviting group of people to work with.

Cons

Advancement is largely dependent on years in your role but they offer plenty of opportunity to challenge yourself in your current position so you can grow as an individual.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, your employees see and appreciate the efforts you are putting in to make Geary LSF a leader in the industry and an enjoyable place to work.

Jun 23, 2015 – Marketing Manager

Hi There, Thanks for taking the time to leave a review about working at Geary LSF. We appreciate it and will take your input regarding advancement seriously. We want to make sure we're always ... More

11. "One of a Kind Mentorship"

Pros

Working at Geary has been amazing. It’s constantly challenging and you’re provided the mentorship necessary to grow your skill set. This is especially important in digital marketing when things are constantly changing. Every day I am learning new concepts and strategies which I can hold onto for my entire career. With its supportive culture, Geary is a great place to be for anyone trying to expand into the digital marketing space.

I’ve been thrilled with my experience at Geary and look forward for everything to come!

Cons

Rapid pace. But that’s due to the nature of digital marketing. New betas are always coming out and it can get hectic with the marketing space changing. However, this gives you a great opportunity to grow and allows you to get more exposure into every aspect of digital marketing.

May 5, 2015 – Marketing Manager

Hi There, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and leave a review. We're glad that you feel that you're learning and growing at Geary LSF :)