Geek Squad Double Agent Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 41 reviews

3.5
Geek Squad CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
  1. "Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Double Agent Covert in McAllen, TX

I worked at Geek Squad full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Great benefits, awesome pay, great people to work with, safe environment, plenty of opportunity to grow.

Cons

HR does not give you the benefit of the doubt

Geek Squad2018-12-26
  2. "Good company, needs a few changes before I would recommend joining the force."

Current Employee - Double Agent Covert in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Good team atmosphere, Excellent immediate leadership.

Cons

Squeezing metrics, tight deadlines, major stress, horrible corporate support, ZERO accountability for those setting expectations, ever increasing unreasonable targets for profitability, random hours, complete lack of competency and support in the stores,

Advice to Management

Stop implementing new programs that loose the company money so you don't have to kill your employees to squeeze a drop of profit out of the mess. And for pete sake fire the call center!!!!!

Geek Squad2019-01-03
  3. "great company to work for"

Former Employee - Double Agent in Mason, OH

I worked at Geek Squad for more than 2 years

Pros

employee discount was amazing when i worked there

Cons

The managers are usually incompetent

Geek Squad2018-11-06
  4. "I learned some things, but at a cost"

Current Employee - Double Agent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Working with clients directly is great, though it does vary depending on location. I learned a lot of new skills over the years with Geek Squad, working on computers and then home theater installation, and plenty of them will be valuable broadly in the future (troubleshooting, communication, working with clients, sales, even low-voltage wiring and basic handyman type skills have been useful).

Cons

Even as a top performing employee, I'm not eligible for a raise that beats inflation. This means that every year I am effectively getting paid less money. Beyond that, the work can be extremely variable - sometimes a client will cancel and my 8 hours of hourly pay turns into 2 or 3 hours instead. Sometimes things will take longer and I'll have to work a few hours of overtime, which is great if I don't have plans and need...

Advice to Management

Institute an annual cost of living raise that includes inflation / COL adjustments in ADDITION to the merit-based increases that are given out for performance. A 1% raise for a high-performer is a joke and will drive away your top performers. Find ways to minimize the impact of store and call center screwups, as they result in reduced hours (and as a result, reduced wages) that are completely out of our control.

Geek Squad2018-08-17
  5. "Good Starter Company"

Former Employee - Double Agent in Hurst, TX

I worked at Geek Squad full-time

Pros

Build Up experience and knowledge and is easy to get a foot in the door

Cons

Stressful at times and you get pressured to sell from management

Geek Squad2017-10-09
  6. "Double Agent"

Current Employee - Double Agent Covert in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time for more than a year

Pros

Above average pay (depending on where you live). Smart people. Hands-on peers.

Cons

Not much room for growth unless you chase after it relentlessly. Training introduction not very thorough; you often learn through mistakes with their system.

Advice to Management

More thorough learning material. Bring back offering certs.

Geek Squad2017-10-06
  7. "Squad Life"

Former Employee - Geek Squad Double Agent HT in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Geek Squad full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Work independently. Compny vehicle. Tools paid for but owned by company. Great benefits. Employee discount and Accommodations. Uniforms paid for by company.

Cons

Mico management. Dollar oriented service calls and not client focused. Reviews and pay increase are subject to a pool of money for every employee on a team and dispersed instead of a certain percent increase annually. The team has to share the overall amount. Carreer path is very limited.

Advice to Management

Stop holding your Agents back from giving the clients the best service by focusing on your survey count and percentage. Let them accept gratuities.

Geek Squad2017-06-21
  8. "Amazing experience, amazing culture, excellent training, and satisfaction of helping people battle with technology."

Former Employee - Double Agent in Richfield, MN

I worked at Geek Squad full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Culture, cutting edge technology at your fingertips, training, and representing the company to promote the image.

Cons

Retail challenges every holiday season, but always fun training people to use their technology.

Geek Squad2017-05-05
  9. "Love & Hate"

Former Employee - Double Agent Covert

I worked at Geek Squad full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

My co-workers, honestly, were pretty fantastic (for the most part) in the eight years I was with the company. Maybe it was just the culture at the store I started with, but that is what kept me with the company as long as I was. That and the discount. Not going to lie, for someone who always wants the latest and greatest, the discount is pretty awesome, too. Lastly, once I became a double agent, the freedom we had on...

Cons

Irregular hours. On my shifts that I had to work from home, we often would be asked if we wanted to get off early due to only having a few computers in the queue. Even though it was a request, if we stayed it negatively affected our numbers. It was a lose-lose scenario. As far as Geek Squad in-home agents were concerned, the number of leadership changes and restructuring was getting pretty ridiculous as well.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee feedback instead of making it a punishment. Every year Best Buy has a couple leadership and employee experience surveys. How they are delivered, they have done absolutely nothing productive. Instead of having a bunch of hardly-useful questions, just have a few comment sections employees can fill out that you actually take the time to read and pull insightful information from.

Geek Squad2017-04-14
  10. "Not a great work environment."

Former Employee - Double Agent Covert in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Geek Squad full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Best Buy offers a beneficial employee discount program.

Cons

The company does not view employees as people and instead treats them as tools to be used and discarded. The company will not provide full-time hours, though will require full-time availability. The company also requires all field agents to work on-call, despite not offering any compensation to that degree. The job continuously has the workload increased throughout the year, whilst reciprocal compensation increases...

Geek Squad2017-03-13