Geek Squad Reviews | Glassdoor

Geek Squad CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I worked full-time hours but was only a part-time employee (in 28 reviews)

• You do many things non GeekSquid related such as customer service and sales (in 26 reviews)

"Recon"

Former Employee - Recon in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Recon in Rochester, MN

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Insurance is good but Managers do not understand service and how to treat their employees like a real person, not their personal slave.

Cons

The same reviews I read are correct about family quality life. They say they care when you start then you become a slave that is micro managed. You are forced to take shifts with no weekends off and crummy hours. They say "we have to take care of customer needs". I get customers screaming at me every day and my hands are tied of what I can do. I have a good manager but I think the ones above think we are kids that they can crack the whip and treat us like a 18 year old part time store employee. Management doesn't realize we are experienced professionals. Most of us recon employees have a sealed systems license, HVAC degree, electronics degree, or have been in the repair field most of our lives. I think upper managers came from store retail and assume that is how you treat everyone. Management thinks the can train techs that come out of the store to work on Appliances and TV's with very little training and give them recons phone number and tell them to call us if they have any problems. I see recon employees that are getting older and retiring or finding other jobs. Upper management thinks they will be able to hire those techs with a few years experience to do a professionals job but when all of us leave they will have an eye opening experience. Upper management won't even take the time to ask what do we think about policies, hours, work, dealing with tech etc. They tell us to do a survey that is poorly written and it does not give you a choice to answer it the way you want to, it's laid out in a way to get the answers they want.. They think of us like 18 year old kids working at the store. I guess it is time for me to follow suit and start looking for a career that I feel the new company would appreciate and I would feel like I have value because I sure don't get that here.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like dirt. Learn to ask and listen to their thoughts and needs. learn to retain your skilled employees and look at the side effects of putting less expensive less skilled employees . In the long run you will be running off your customers because you can't provide good service and your skilled employees that have the knowledge to provide those skills to make the customer happy. That's whey the company changes managers so often because they just don't understand service. Bottom line, listen to your employees and there needs.

2. "Not a great work environment."

Former Employee - Double Agent Covert in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Double Agent Covert in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best Buy offers a beneficial employee discount program.

Cons

The company does not view employees as people and instead treats them as tools to be used and discarded. The company will not provide full-time hours, though will require full-time availability. The company also requires all field agents to work on-call, despite not offering any compensation to that degree. The job continuously has the workload increased throughout the year, whilst reciprocal compensation increases do not happen and the company continuously makes it more and more difficult to bonus and or achieve a merit raise.

3. "It was hell"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in League City, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in League City, TX

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meet great friends (Co-workers)

Cons

Management don't care about anyone. Will have us working in all department. Always understaffed. Pay is very low. Yearly raises are only between 20-40 cent. They take you on things u by with your discount so you are basically paying full price off your check. When you call HR for unfair treatment they tell all management and the management bully you and try to wrote you up for any little thing. You are not guaranteed 15-minute breaks even if it is the law. Don't look to grow in the company because the general manager will only hire his friends and you will have to train them even with your 5 years of experience vs someone that worked in a shoe store.

Advice to Management

Replace the ones that are getting complints to HR from staff.

4. "OA"

Former Employee - O A in Lees Summit, MO
    Former Employee - O A in Lees Summit, MO

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount and friends and all the cool new toys.

Cons

way to much for the pay.. You would need 3 of us to make it work

Advice to Management

help not just dictate .and be nice to us and treat us like people

5. "A stepping stone for IT"

Former Employee - Operations Agent in East Northport, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Agent in East Northport, NY

I worked at Geek Squad (Less than a year)

Pros

The only benefit of working at Geek Squad is if you are pursing a job in IT, it does help you to prepare for that. Answering phone calls, troubleshooting, and the ticketing system are all key points in IT.

Cons

Management was awful, policies are terrible, the Nova/ETK system was a disaster as well. There were times when some Geek Squad employees were left alone for the day at the precinct, which left several customers unhappy. A single person cannot troubleshoot, answer calls, and repair computers.

It is also unfair to the employee, who has to put up with angry customers for something that management was responsible for.

Pay wasn't great either, they give the employee little incentive to remain.

Advice to Management

Have enough staff to actually keep the precinct running. Train your employees better. Use a better ticketing system.

The Geek Squad supervisor should remain by the precinct, and no wander off on the sales floor.

6. "Clean place but awful management."

Former Employee - CA Customer Adviser in Rockaway, NJ
    Former Employee - CA Customer Adviser in Rockaway, NJ

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only thing I have to say is the place is clean....

Cons

Management in the Geeksquad department was horrible! I have 10+ years experience with computer help desk level 3 repairs with an amazing resume that would probably put all their employees in the back room to shame. I applied for that job, but instead they hired me as a customer rep to deal with customers, troubleshoot, and take the computers in the back for OTHERS to repair them. I also told them specifically that I get panic attacks if I’m over whelmed with people and if I’m feeling pressured, but they completely ignored that. Not only that, but when I did have a panic attack the manager threatened to fire me and pushed me to go through their therapy system before I get back to work. So they gave me 3 free therapy sessions to a therapist, but after that they wanted me to pay out of pocket. (Nice way to promote and push people to pay for things right?) So before I started back up working I came in to talk to the manager that threatened me and the guy clearly didn’t care or apologized for it but got in my face. As it turns out he ended up firing me anyway as the macho man he was.

Geeksquad has this learning system online so you can understand their rules for what to do and not to do. Management is horrible with this, they would push employees to finish them quickly and guess the answers. Most the employees didn’t even study the return policy nor the device insurance policies, so rules were broken all the time. There was many times that I got threatened to finish all the main tests within a day or I get fired. It was technically impossible without skipping the videos and the slide shows, but since I WANTED to follow cooperation policies I made sure I learned it all and answered them correctly.

People in the back most of the time were lazy, so you can imagine how many computers were stacked on the shelves waiting to be touched. Not only that, but they completely took advantage of the 5 day repair policy. When a customer complained that his/her computer is still not repaired (because of the pure laziness with the staff.) They would repair it at the last second half assed and customers would come back pissed off. (In other words the staff would sometimes skip reinstalling drivers or software back on the machine before they give it back.) I saw what was happening so I took it on myself to repair computers in the front desk as quickly as possible and within a week those shelves were basically empty. Even though I made customers walk out with a smile (not only their computer was repaired right, but also it was done quickly and efficiently.) they wanted to come to me from now on. After that it looked like management didn’t like what I was doing so they pulled me in the back and basically threatened me that if I repair a computer like that again I would get fired, because they hired me to ONLY deal with customers NOT to repair computers. What a joke… If it wasn’t for me something was bound to happen and I’m sure that someone would have reported it to corp one day.

Advice to Management

Get better management! Their management team sucks and I'm sure it's hurting GeekSquad's business for how it's put together. I'm out of a job and I'm struggling to find another. I have no other means of income at the moment because I can't go on unemployment for the reason that I got fired for having a panic attack.

7. "Bad place for serious technicians."

Former Employee - Computer Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Computer Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at Geek Squad (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had a lot of fun with co-workers

Cons

Pay is really bad.If sales are not up your hours get cut. I am a certified technician and I ended up a salesman. Favoritism is really bad there. If you are not kissing the mangers butt you wont get any hours. a lot of childish managers and too many of them.When I first got there it was a new store with few technicians. My first day I fixed 10 desktop computers showing them I knew my stuff . Well when new people were hired I slowly started becoming a salesman. I came to fix computers not sell them ! Another experience was a manager was talking to a customer I worked with before and when she saw me she totally kicked him to the curb and wanted me to help her . Well after I talked with her the manager called me into the office and told me my performance was poor because of my customer service ! Lol really?? That was the last straw for me . I resigned shortly after that. I recommend this job for kids ,college students. If you are a serious tech stay away.

Advice to Management

Hire your managers properly ! Stop using goofy children for managers !

8. "Geek Squad"

Former Employee - Computer Technician in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Computer Technician in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Geek Squad (More than a year)

Pros

If you have a good manager, training on technologies that you have no background in. A semi- employee discount. Sometimes there are nice clients.

Cons

Pay, super low. Above minimum wage, but Geek Squad employees are severely underpaid for what they must deal with on a daily basis. Expectations to sell services that clients don't need. THe price of services you need to sell. Competition in the department to keep FT hours.

Advice to Management

Talk to each other. Have more one on ones with employees in order to advance them and make them more valuable to the company.

9. "Great Culture, Bad Management"

Former Employee - Geek Squad Covert Agent in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Geek Squad Covert Agent in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Geek Squad (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the store and as a remote tech, the GeekSquad culture is great, the collaboration is awesome, some great deals and discounts as well. Good place to gain experience but not to stay.

Cons

No room for advancement, you have to live in MN and work at corporate to get a chance to advance, but as a remote agent, you compete with thousands of applicants over a few positions that do not come often, scheduling is horrible, one day you work 6AM and other day you start at 6PM, work life balance is non-existent, employee is always at fault if any issues arise and the company does not own up to its shortcomings. Company also cuts hours without notice to save money, little training, no fully operational proprietary software, there are always issues, client wait times go over 3 hours sometimes and employees get bad reviews cuz clients get upset over the long wait and then the company rates the employees based on the clients rating which does not reflect the employees actual performance and productivity.

Advice to Management

create a working system, do not have the employees waste their time entering redundant info 3 different systems, do not be evil and give employees the benefit of the doubt, and when you create an action plan please stick to it.

"Geek squad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooks, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooks, KY

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had great co workers, they did giveaways and sometimes celebrated employees.

Cons

Management was horrible. Once they wanted you out they did what they could do to make you quit.

Advice to Management

Need new management.