Geek Squad Reviews | Glassdoor

Geek Squad CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Benefits only for full-time despite years put into the job (in 30 reviews)

• Working in customer service with the general public; pay was decent for when I was younger and single, probably more difficult to live on now (in 27 reviews)

1. "It’s ok"

Pros

Fun people to work with

Cons

I’d rather stay positive and not say

2. "In home repair technician team"

I worked at Geek Squad full-time

Pros

Starting pay is very well compensated.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations when concerning work load along with driving.

Advice to Management

Lower expectations but reward technicians with bonuses if they meet the current unrealistic goals. MOTIVATE YOUR TEAMS!

3. "flexible hours, but inconsistent"

Current Employee - Geek Squad Cadet in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Cadet in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like to be able to move around on the job, and meet new people everyday. Always a surprise around every corner.

Cons

When there isn't work to do, there is no guarantee that you get a full check. Also, communication between the install teams and sales rep is almost non existent.

Advice to Management

when times are slow, create other opportunities for workers to get hours, so that their full time status is used.

4. "meh"

Pros

fun work atmosphere, easy job

Cons

customers are really terrible and scheduling is not flexible

5. "It's ok"

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, "culture", i.e. fun extra events like charities, walks, bake sales, presentations, conferences, etc.

Cons

Not super competitive pay. Raises aren't spectacular. Have to be there a while(like,a WHILE) to get anywhere fast.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees wants and needs. Raise pay and incentive for people there at least 1 year. Many still to have been met per anonymous employee survey for the year

6. "I'm homeless now."

Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for job experience and breaking in to IT field.

Cons

No hours given and small hourly wages. Being an ARA is the most stressfull job at best buy/geek squad.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring part time ARAs the work load and job requirements cannot be acheived by a part timer.

7. "Wannabees"

I worked at Geek Squad part-time

Pros

It was a diverse environment.
    -Flexible hours
    -Cool tech
    -Discounts

Cons

It was an okay environment.
    -Wannabee high techies
    -Freestyle
    -low pay

8. "CA - Good starting job"

I worked at Geek Squad full-time

Pros

--Experience with customer service in the IT environment. You learn quite a bit on the job, many of which are soft skills. You can't learn them in school. Invaluable when going on to other positions, either within the company or elsewhere.
    --Great camaraderie with team (if you're fortunate to get a good one)
    --Not too bad of an employee discount, and nice Geek Squad perks/Accomodations
    --The badge is fun to show people
    --Good rapport with clients...I have read many complaints about crabby clients. I must say that in my time with Geek Squad, I only had a couple of really unhappy folks. We had some snobby people that would come in, but that was really it. Lots of older folks, as well. Advantage went to me, since I live with two parents who are over 70 and learning technology. Patience and empathy are your friends. If you learn you don't have the patience, become an ARA. They work in the back.

Cons

--This is definitely a job for kids to start out in IT. During my tenure at Geek Squad, I was often treated like a child - even though I was in my 30's. Constantly micromanaged: Did you make the phone calls? Did you do the certified open boxes? Did you do the shipping? Very frustrating to be lumped in with the 17 year olds. (Some of this griping may vary, according to Geek Squad Manager)
    --The pay is not very good, but in retail you can't expect too much.
    --SELL SELL SELL!!! As a CA, I was a glorified sales person who knew how to fix a person's wifi. In monthly one on ones, I was told over and over about how horrible my sales numbers were. No one really cared that I actually had a customer base of my own - who would actually call first to make sure I was there.
    --NPS is extremely frustrating for the team. We would get detractors for the mistakes of the service center (and vice versa) And if the store was not doing well in sales (but your department was), no bonus for you.
    --Retail schedule, but that's the nature of the beast
    --No room to grow. I applied to be an ARA about 5 times. I got several different excuses, one of which was: "Master your role as CA first". Translation? Sell more $200+ Geek Squad plans to old folks on a fixed income. That is not my nature. I'm all about helping the client get the problem solved, not making sales goals. If I can fix it fairly quick , I'm going to fix it. The client will remember that I went above and beyond....and...RETURN.

Advice to Management

--Geek Squad should not equal sales numbers. It is: "Computer Repair Task Force", not: "Buy your Geek Squad Plans here". If the customers are not purchasing the plans at the time of purchase, hold the sales team accountable. That's THEIR job. Yes, Geek Squad will sell tech support (or whatever it's called now) along the way, but it shouldn't be enforced so passionately. If we wanted to be sales people, we'd be on the sales floor.
    --For the love of Pete, fix the way NPS is done. We lost out on SO MANY bonuses because the NPS for the sales team wasn't good. One department should not be punished for the shortcomings of another.
    --Recognition should not be handed out JUST to those who sell well. Those who care more for the client and get glowing NPS , lose out on any recognition from the company if their sales numbers are subpar. It's about getting the clients to come back to get their devices fixed. Isn't that why they're called clients, and not customers? Because we expect to see them again? People aren't stupid. They're going to figure out that you don't care about them, just their money. Then they'll go to Amazon instead.
    --Stop restructuring. And bring the OA position back!! Who thought it was a good idea to take the person that answers the phone and stick him/her on the counter?? With the phone ringing off the hook, no one to answer it - because the clients in front are priority? Are you guys even listening to your employees?

9. "Great experience"

Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at Geek Squad (More than a year)

Pros

-Hands on experience
    -Great coworkers
    -Working with other departments

Cons

-Unfair pay
    -Better scheduling to meet employee needs

Advice to Management

-Pay based on skills rather than having to move to a different location for better pay

10. "Counter Agent"

Current Employee - Counter Associate in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Counter Associate in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn some computer basics working here.

Cons

You are doing basic stuff nothing too technical, you are not a repair person you are more sales

Showing 329 of 1,014 reviews