Geek Squad Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Geek Squad CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Pros
Cons
  • Limited amount of full time hours (in 27 reviews)

• You do many things non GeekSquid related such as customer service and sales (in 25 reviews)

1. "Fix this."

Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Geek Squad part-time

Pros

Decent pay for retail.
    The training is OK - not great, but if you're willing to dig into the [REDACTED] and the [REDACTED], you can often find your answers.
    If you watch what [REDACTED] does, you can do the same things and get the job done faster and better.
    The Agent culture is actually kind of fun.

Cons

* Hours? What hours? We still expect you to fill your quota.
    * You're not legally allowed to do that. Or that. And especially not that. We still expect you to fill your quota.
    * If the front-end can't be bothered to take phone-calls, it falls to you. We still expect you to fill your quota.
    * It doesn't matter that the front-end sneaks to the back to watch Youtube on their phones while you're busting your hump. We still expect you to fill your quota.
    * It doesn't matter that you get called up to the front-end to help out even though your job code is paid by an entirely separate budget. You're not getting more hours, and we still expect you to fill your quota.

Advice to Management

Fix this.

"Not for everybody"

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Consultation Agent in Fultondale, AL
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Consultation Agent in Fultondale, AL

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Team environment
    Great Leadership (when available)
    You learn a lot of useful computer skills, tips, and tricks
    Excellent for teaching the basic fundamentals of selling services over physical products

Cons

No where near enough pay for what the clients and management will put you through. Leadership doesn't understand that a lot of things don't apply to every store location.

Advice to Management

Listen to in store management more often. In store management knows the ground situation much better than corporate.

"Not bad for retail"

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Consultation Agent in Danbury, CT
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Consultation Agent in Danbury, CT

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, reasonable work flow, and your working in a generally exciting field. I certainly found working in the geek squad more engaging than the local grocery store.

Cons

Pay is standard retail and customers often struggle to understand the simplest explanations about why their stuff doesnt work.

Advice to Management

More hands on training

5. "Good People, Bad Environment"

Former Employee - Consultation Agent in Sanford, FL
    Former Employee - Consultation Agent in Sanford, FL

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good amount of hours if you are open
    Trained in basic computer operation and diagnostics
    Perks for hard work
    Good customers and fair amount of decision flexibility

Cons

Limited scope of decisions
    Best Buy management interfered with Geek Squad efficiency
    Employee retention was terrible
    Raises far and few between
    Very little room for advancement
    Continued training forgone in favor of sales

Advice to Management

Let me start by saying that management from Geek Squad itself was decent, even acceptably good. Geek Squad management was slighly strict, but with good reason. Handling personal information and property has rules. They were sometimes disingenuous, but fair most of the time. However, Best Buy management would allocate Geek Squad employees and managers for sales related tasks rather than let us do our jobs. There were many months where we had to schedule an appointment with our own direct manager to even mention things required for the precinct. Unfortunately, when it came to addressing these issues with upper managment, we were reminded that Best Buy owns Geek Squad and could allocate as they saw fit.

I did enjoy my work and the benefits of seeing others happy with their repaired goods, but I recommend that management enforce that lower management be available to their employees.

"Unresponsive"

Former Employee - Consultant Agent in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant Agent in Austin, TX

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Deal with technology most of the day.
    Most of the workers have decent personalities.
    Overall the environment was mostly chill except for the fact that customer service was right next to us. You could(if not busy) go anywhere in the store and involve yourself which was refreshing. The discount was very nice and it helped make a geek happy. I started out with a nice manager in GS but the second one I could not find any footing with really(perhaps because I was older?). There is a quota to meet but they just remind you often (a bit naggy) sadly but that's best buys fault I think. Being a CA was not my first choice and I kinda figured in a couple months I could switch to a ARA but that never panned out even though it's where my true skills lay. Overall I had to much experience to work there really but it was a job.

Did I mention technology is involved?

Cons

Owned by Best Buy. So after working for about 3 months Best buy decides they are changing the deal on tardiness and days missed. It went from being a decent policy to a high stakes over the top policy. Six months of no issues(late or no show) Is never going to be realistic.Where I was working was a medium sized Best Buy and the Geek Squad department was pretty rough comparably(tech and visual wise) to other stores.

We always work next to customer service but more than half the time that section was understaffed and someone from the GS had to cover which is most times hard to manage. Most of the time it was a job and that's OK but as time marched on and Gm and other higher ups were nothing more than a revolving door so you could not make any personal connections or get a lay of the land. They say GS is not "tied" to the rest of the store but that is JUST not the case. Well anyway after some self involved issues the company "involuntarily terminated" me. I met most of the quotas of day to day and was a good addition to the team but Best Buy does not care and I should have quit but I hesitated. Don't do what I did as they did me completely wrong, bottom line.

Advice to Management

It's hard to say, They need to focus less on linear time clocks and pay more attention to actual work ethic. That's asking a lot I know but it would serve you better to listen to your employers instead of creating and using loop holes to stuff your bottom line. Best buy ruined Geek squad, moral of my story.

7. "Cadet"

Current Employee - Geek Squad Cadet in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Cadet in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good work schedule, out and about in the field. Drive in company vehicle, given all the necessary tools, plenty of training available via online site.

Cons

Pay sucks for the type of work being performed. Involuntarily given days off when there are no jobs, workmanship is judged by numbers that sometimes do not reflect the effort given.

Advice to Management

keep employees happy by giving them respectable raises. Physically teach employees how to become better rather than sit behind a computer and send emails on how to accomplish that.

8. "Counter intelligence Agent / CA"

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Consultation Agent in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Consultation Agent in New York, NY

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good for college student to get fit wet in IT

Cons

Managers go hard on sales, managers get hype when you sell tech support lol

9. "Fun Job, Bad Computers"

Former Employee - Geek Squad Counter Intelligence in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Geek Squad Counter Intelligence in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Putting your tech knowledge to use is fun, and you get paid for it!
    -Awesome coworkers / managers
    -Advancement. I have two friends that have worked from retail, and through their drive + ambition they have risen into well-paying corporate positions.

Cons

-The biggest drawback for me was that my Best Buy location had you work in a browser based system to document your interactions with customers. That would be fine if they weren't asking you to do this on ancient machines. They ran poorly, and contributed to me leaving out of frustration.
    -You fix less than you'd think. Most of it I shipped for repair if it wasn't a quick fix. Main job is selling a service people aren't thrilled about, or you might feel bad for talking them into it when you realize if you were their friend you could have fixed it in less than an hour for free.

Advice to Management

Upgrade the garbage computer's your agents work on. I think it'd really boost productivity and morale if you could actually use the system reliably. Why does a retailer aiming to be the electronics top-dog have it's employees handling customers on awful computers?

10. "Time at Geek Squad"

Former Employee - Counter Intelligence Agent in McAllen, TX
    Former Employee - Counter Intelligence Agent in McAllen, TX

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning environment, employee discount,

Cons

Low pay, more of a sales job than tech, each geek squad can vary based on management

Advice to Management

Pay more, Geek Squad is your most talented department

11. "Ok place to work."

Current Employee - Geek Squad CIA Agent in Waynesville, NC
    Current Employee - Geek Squad CIA Agent in Waynesville, NC

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Opportunity for lots of learning.

Cons

Random scheduling. Customers can be rude.