Geisinger Health System Reviews in Danville, PA | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David T. Feinberg, M.D., MBA
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great company with great benefits (in 12 reviews)

• Full time work, with good benefits (in 12 reviews)

"Cyber Security Manager"

Former Employee - Cyber Security Manager in Danville, PA
    Former Employee - Cyber Security Manager in Danville, PA

Pros

None, this company is a joke.

Cons

Outdated management techniques, looks for buzzwords on resumes, and not actual experience. Good luck trying to get someone out to Danville, PA. Management support is not there, middle managers are overpaid. Salary offered way to low for what I brought to the table.

Advice to Management

Quit or retire. Let people with actual knowledge and experience run the important parts of the company.

"Terrible and selfish management/ Fake place"

Former Employee - Fellow/Clinical Research in Danville, PA
    Former Employee - Fellow/Clinical Research in Danville, PA

I worked at Geisinger Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely no pros, I moved from out of state to get this job and from day one I feel insecure about my job

Cons

Management is terrible and the hiring manager is a liar. I came for 2 year position and believed his sweet talk about advancement and growing which was total lie just to hire me.
    I accept very low salary for my expert position and my advanced just because of the lies that I thought it's real.
    After 2 month of my 2 year job they threatened my job due to lack of funds ( my salary was 30k below the market)
    Of course I decided to leave and I did after 8 month and I did for them what people didn't do in years. They begging me to stay extra 3 months to save the projects ( they didn't even make it to one whole year) I refused and got hired in major truly well know university hospital out of PA state.
    Lastly when I left they cut my paid time off to half and they still owe me it.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees not money
    Stop being fake
    There's 5 more employees left in the same department and no one even talked to them and ask them why they are leaving.
    Grandiosity indeed.
    Btw it's fake that you think people know and compete with your company in healthcare and cancer research, no one even heard about you or know where you are!

"Care Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, PA

Pros

Good benefits, fair salary,financially solvent

Cons

Very poor leadership in this department. Very high turnover of staff due to management.

Advice to Management

Apply standards equally to all employees. Be an advocate for staff

"Work harder but with less resources"

Current Employee - Doctor in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Doctor in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, cheap cost of living, the employees are terrific, good retirement plan

Cons

Managers fear the higher ups, they do not support their employees. This year everyone was informed there would be a 5% cut in expenses and there would be a hiring freeze. The company also wanted a 3% increase in productivity. In response, I asked for more clinic time to see more patients but I was told there was not enough support staff to allow this to happen. How then can I increase productivity?

Because of the anticipated drop in revenues, physician compensation will decrease this year. Everyone was told their base salary and bonus would be increased 1-2% but Geisinger imposed new metrics you had to attain to get your bonus. These metrics are difficult to achieve. Despite the 1-2% promised increase, my total compensation will be 3% less than last year.

Complaints are not tolerated.
    We are told to accept and not question any leadership edict. If you do not agree, you can leave. No one feels special as they are all considered replaceable. The fact there is a continuous revolving door with more health staff leaving should trigger concern among their recruiters and subsequent leadership concern, but this fear is dismissed.

Advice to Management

Middle managers need to bring concerns of their employees to the upper management. Instead the middle managers do not advocate for the employees. They only act as spokespeople for the Geisinger leadership. If you are going to just parrot whatever comes from above, then I consider the middle managers expendable. Puppets are cheap to hire.

There has to be opportunity for discussion between the employee doctors and leadership. Instead the Medical Staff meetings are attended by a mere dozen doctors who are afraid to stand up and disagree. If you dissent, you fear retribution. This is not unlike working in a dictatorship.

"Lack of strategic plan makes for a terrible working environment"

Current Employee - Innovation Manager in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Innovation Manager in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great and want to work hard for the mission of the organization.

Cons

Growth without a strategic plan is a disaster waiting to happen, great leaders have left and it seems no one cares as long as the system meets budget. Top brass needs to pay attention to employee engagement scores, HR is a joke, if you speak up they do nothing.

Advice to Management

Be leaders, create positive change for healthy work environments. Stop burying the real issues. You owe it to your employees.

"Clinical Innovation Analyst"

Current Employee - Clinical Innovation Analyst in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Clinical Innovation Analyst in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many of the employees were fun and nice to work with.

Cons

Horrible 'management'-micromanaging at its finest-leadership is awful and lie; got in trouble once for laughing coming into the building.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and make promises you can't keep. Horrible and I mean horrible managing.

"HATED IT!"

Former Employee - Radiology in Danville, PA
    Former Employee - Radiology in Danville, PA

Pros

Nice clean and fancy hospital, great ideas.

Cons

Overabuse of middle-managers.
    Used a "village" approach to running the floors and either you were in or out.
    Very low pay.
    Threats from lower management.
    Inadequately educated managers.

Advice to Management

You need to trim some of the fat. Ie, only 1 manager per department rather that 15 people who think they know what they are doing.

"The good, the bad and the ugly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, PA

Pros

good pay compared to smaller hospitals around. Good working with employees. Fun to to work with. Very knowledgeable doctors from prominent medical, dental and other medical backgrounds

Cons

Where do i start. First, manegment thinks they know what is best. They think they know everything there is to know about a certain field. Some of the administrators don't have a bacchelors degree. Most have an associates or some form of high school. They told me that I can't work extra hours but I can fill in on a shift. I do not get OT. I can only work a certain amount of hours and they yell at me when I make more than usual. They want the staff to work at its maximum x25, but have the minimalist amount of aid from other empoyees and attention of administrators. They want to cut corners by thinking they have more education than a doctor. The hosital is tp heavy. 600-650 doctors and about 300-450 nurses. The reest of the 3,000-5,000 employees are hospital administrators who do not generate income. Those are some of the main points. There are thousands of reasons. Gleen Steele wants to spend millions of dollars on new hospitals, but fails to realize that the hospital is short several hundred doctors, pharmasicts, nurses, Physical Therapists, dentists, and psychologists. There are always an endless supply of administators. For every one doctor, there are 4-5 other administators.

Advice to Management

Get a doctor degree and learn how the medical field works: medicine is different than dentistry and pharmacy is differnt than PT. Learn to be "laissez-faire" and have the doctors do what they do best, medicine and treating patients.

"Totally disillusioned"

Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Danville, PA

Pros

Close to home and that's about it.

Cons

Knowing they're the only major employer within at least a 50 mile radius has gotten them kind of cocky when it comes to employee relations. They need a union BAD. They have become another major medical center and buy up all the smaller local hospitals that can't afford to compete. This is one of the ones that Obama mentions as being a "model" for reformed healthcare. Just marketing hype. The employees here get the worst benefits with very high deductibles. There is nothing good about this place unless you are a specialty doctor.

Advice to Management

Most people have pride in their jobs and leadership just doesn't see it. They have a whole "mafia" type system and if you don't know anyone in the system you basically get nowhere and forget it if you are not a 100% WASP. NO diversity whatsoever although they like to talk about it a ton.