Geisinger Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

Geisinger Health System Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management focused on mostly profits (in 9 reviews)

• Low pay, bad benefits, horrible management (in 5 reviews)

1. "A typical corporate job"

Former Employee - Non Clinical/Non-patient Facing in Danville, PA
    Former Employee - Non Clinical/Non-patient Facing in Danville, PA

Pros

Nationally known for innovative healthcare, lots of opportunities to learn and add to skill set, good comraderrie among staff, good wellness program, great benefits, great immediate supervisor, who was one of the most knowledgeable people and greatest leaders I've ever worked with. Management pay is great, probably the best in the area. Staff pay is so-so, although I've heard it has improved for those lowest on the pay scale since I left. The organization definitely values its managers much more than its staff, although that may be changing under the new CEO's leadership. I think he is good for the organization but it takes a lot of time to change the culture of a 30K-employee organization.

Cons

A lot of management are elitists who have no idea how the other half lives, limited opportunities for advancement, although that was mainly only in my dept. at the time and I heard it wasn't the same in other departments. Terrible department head, who basically ran my dept. into the ground. A very complex organization to navigate.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and the job they do and be more focused on that and patient satisfaction rather than budgets and your own bonuses. Try to have some empathy for the plight of your staff rather than acting like elitists. Invest in the development of your and recognize them for their accomplishments in the form of promotions and/or greater financial compensation.

2. "RN ICU"

Current Employee - RN in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - RN in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling
    Good hourly rate
    Opportunity for learning

Cons

Disorganized
    Lack of communication
    Management could care less about employees

Advice to Management

Communicate
    Recognize senior staff as valuable pt safety is important

3. "Decent hospital besieged by resource-slashing bean counters"

Former Employee - Stroke Program Coordinator (RN) in Wilkes Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Stroke Program Coordinator (RN) in Wilkes Barre, PA

I worked at Geisinger Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a cutting edge medical center with no shortage of high acuity, interesting medical cases. If you enjoy hyper-acute medicine, this is clearly the place to be.

Cons

The entire hospital has severely insufficient resources, primarily personnel, to get the job done. Every unit, department, team, etc is unable to perform up to full expectations and deliver optimal care due to excessively tight purse strings preventing leaders from bringing in enough help. The emergency department is like a war zone, running with half the number of people they actually need and leading to unbelievable backups and exorbitant wait times for patients.

Advice to Management

Spend a little bit of money to provide adequate staffing to clinical departments and watch the tremendous performance improvements start pouring in. You have amazing people quitting their jobs at your hospital on a daily basis because they hate having to compromise the quality of care they deliver due to inadequate resources.

5. "Happy with employment"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PTO, 401K, Health Insurance (PPO and HMO options), OT bonuses for select locations in INPT nursing

Cons

Employee parking, minimal tuition reimbursement available

6. "Housekeeping"

Current Employee - Housekeeping in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Housekeeping in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

40 hours a week. Not a hard job. Good benefits.

Cons

Management expects way too much for $10/hr. Keep adding responsibilities without adding payment. Don't listen to what we have to say.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! Treat us better and you'll get better work out of us.

"Cyber Security Manager"

Former Employee - Cyber Security Manager in Danville, PA
    Former Employee - Cyber Security Manager in Danville, PA

Pros

None, this company is a joke.

Cons

Outdated management techniques, looks for buzzwords on resumes, and not actual experience. Good luck trying to get someone out to Danville, PA. Management support is not there, middle managers are overpaid. Salary offered way to low for what I brought to the table.

Advice to Management

Quit or retire. Let people with actual knowledge and experience run the important parts of the company.

"Terrible and selfish management/ Fake place"

Former Employee - Fellow/Clinical Research in Danville, PA
    Former Employee - Fellow/Clinical Research in Danville, PA

I worked at Geisinger Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely no pros, I moved from out of state to get this job and from day one I feel insecure about my job

Cons

Management is terrible and the hiring manager is a liar. I came for 2 year position and believed his sweet talk about advancement and growing which was total lie just to hire me.
    I accept very low salary for my expert position and my advanced just because of the lies that I thought it's real.
    After 2 month of my 2 year job they threatened my job due to lack of funds ( my salary was 30k below the market)
    Of course I decided to leave and I did after 8 month and I did for them what people didn't do in years. They begging me to stay extra 3 months to save the projects ( they didn't even make it to one whole year) I refused and got hired in major truly well know university hospital out of PA state.
    Lastly when I left they cut my paid time off to half and they still owe me it.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees not money
    Stop being fake
    There's 5 more employees left in the same department and no one even talked to them and ask them why they are leaving.
    Grandiosity indeed.
    Btw it's fake that you think people know and compete with your company in healthcare and cancer research, no one even heard about you or know where you are!

"UDC/Data Coordinator"

Former Employee - UDC/Data Coordinator in Sunbury, PA
    Former Employee - UDC/Data Coordinator in Sunbury, PA

I worked at Geisinger Health System (More than a year)

Pros

The company provides great benefits and I've had some great coworkers.

Cons

I found it hard to advance my career. I was in the same position for three years before making a lateral move.

10. "Great"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with great benefits

Cons

Short staffing and lots of pressure for overtime

Advice to Management

Keep up the great support, hire more RNs

"Not Recommended"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Scranton, PA

I worked at Geisinger Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was decent, and benefits were nice. Hospital provides free flu shots to employees. Some of the employees help you survive the work day.

Cons

Unsafe working conditions, poor quality of some personnel, negative attitudes, mismanagement. Anti-gay sentiment, and sexist attitudes. You must cover yourself because when sometime goes wrong, fingers WILL be pointed.

Advice to Management

Policies need to be reviewed and updated then mandatory meetings should be put together so that everyone is on the same page. Management needs to get their act together, nobody knows what the policies are because they are constantly changed.