Geisinger Physician Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

Geisinger Physician Assistant Reviews

Found 4 reviews

2.4
Geisinger CEO Jaewon Ryu, M.D., J.D.
Jaewon Ryu, M.D., J.D.
  1. "Critical Care Medicine"

Former Employee - Critical Care Physician Assistant in Danville, PA

I worked at Geisinger full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Very PA-friendly environment. Physician's allow PA's to practice a comfortable level of independence in decision making while still providing plenty of oversight to ensure patient safety.

Cons

Difficult, as with any large hospital system to keep up with the constant changes in policies and procedures. Otherwise, the company is large enough to be a leader in medicine, while small enough to not be a nameless face among others.

Geisinger2015-07-04
  2. "Job satisfaction significantly declining"

Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Decent benefit package Decent work life balance

Cons

very low pay with high level of responsibility and little oversight Top heavy with managerial positions Does not concentrate on competitive wages for actual caregivers. Management positions, IT and ancillary positions are better pay and less stress. Needs to care for the actual caregivers. its a Hospital! If we are not here there is no hospital

Advice to Management

This healthcare system would not function without Nurse Practioners and Physician Assistants. Some of us have been providing care for patients for years. We are these patients "doctors" We need to be treated with greater respect. Our pay wages are not up to par with national average. We are treated as replaceable so we will continue to leave creating a void and no continuity in care. Welcome to healthcare in 2017.

Geisinger2017-04-27
  3. "Physician Assistant"

Former Employee - Physician Assistant in Danville, PA

I worked at Geisinger full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Good money and overtime. Attendings are usually very knowledgeable and supportive.

Cons

Poor management. Some residents are absolutely awful, and the PAs just babysit.

Advice to Management

Take some training on how to actually manage staff. Be kind. Encourage individuals. Offer some positive feedback, in addition to the negative

Geisinger2017-02-21

"Physician Assistant"

Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Geisinger has utilized PAs and NPs for a long time, and utilized them well (this is changing). Benefits are very good--not exceptional--but very good.

Cons

PAs are provided very little opportunity for advancement. Perhaps that is the culture generated by our profession as *dependent* practitioners. As the system becomes more academic in nature, PA autonomy has decreased; responsibilities that were once soley the PA's, are now within the pervue of residents and many of us have been relegated to support positions with responsibilities that are neither personally nor professionally...

Advice to Management

This may be healthcare in general, but I have found in the many years I've worked with the organization, that service line leaders are chosen for the expertise, notoriety in their field, and academic accomplishment, but not on their leadership abilities or skills. Most know very little (if anything) about change management, human motivation or transformational leadership. Even the best seem to have an intuitive sense...

Geisinger2015-09-09