Gelber Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Brian Gelber

"trader"

Former Employee - Senior Trader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Trader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gelber Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It has a really laid back atmosphere, pretty good transparency with the accounts, fairly competitive split. also an added bonus of pizza on wednesdays.

Cons

Risk managers aren't very knowledgeable and have risk guidelines that basically do their jobs for them.

Advice to Management

Get better risk mangers that know what is going on within the various products. Someone that has traded successfully in the past would be ideal.

2. "Discretionary trader"

Former Employee - Proprietary Trader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Proprietary Trader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gelber Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Very educational, laid back environment. Lots of real trading experience.

Cons

Not much structure, but other than that the company seems to be great.

3. "Lots of independance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gelber Group (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of independence and mobility in tech, potential to make a place for yourself. Open atmosphere, management is very approachable. Casual environment.

Cons

Too much management overhead (meetings, etc). Difficulties in communication between development and IT/support. Need more effective, efficient communication, and better delegation of responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Too many meetings, manager was hardly at desk.

"Manager for Trade Support"

Current Employee - Manager for Trade Support in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager for Trade Support in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gelber Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My Salary of about the upper $70 K.

Cons

I'm working all the time! I leave for work at 5:00 am get home around 6:00 pm. I'm bringing my lap top to family functions, just so I can be able to fix anything that happens, so I don't have to go in to the office! It's taking a toll on my personal life!

Advice to Management

You pay me well, but you need to pay me less and have more managers in the departments to lift some of the slack from me.

Gelber Group Response

Aug 16, 2016 – Business Development

Please note this is a fraudulent post but due to glassdoor community guidelines we are unable to remove it. Gelber always appreciates constructive feedback in order to create a better place tor ... More

"New Hire Trading Program"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gelber Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The New Hire Program at Gelber is truly an asset to trader's beginning their careers in today's volatile markets. Most prop-shops and big banks will either not let you trade for years, or expect new hires to meet unrealistic trading expectations within weeks or they're shown the door; Gelber, however, incorporates classroom and hands-on experience, in addition to mentor circles and interviews with established traders in order to build a solid trading foundation. Simulated trading leads to live experience, and the diversity within the new hire classes expose the larger class to varying strengths and weaknesses. Traders are not forced to trade in any one way, but rather encouraged to foster their own approach that incorporates their strengths and minimizes their weakness. Furthermore, the great culture and support system gives anyone a decent chance to succeed in an incredibly taxing, and challenging, profession.

Cons

There are not many cons to the program, since there is no "formula" for trading success. The main thing about the program is that new hires will get what they put into the resources made available to them.

Advice to Management

There isn't much advice to give as I see the firm doing everything they can to help new hires, however, trading is often seen as endlessly complicated, if not nearly impossible, and for new hires the prospect of jumping into the wide world of trading can be more than overwhelming. With that in mind, I think it would help to focus on teaching new traders to focus on whatever makes the markets a little "easier" for them--if this means only trading once a day, twice a week, etc., it doesn't matter. I think new traders make the mistake of trying to come in and trade numerous times a day to feel they are "earning" their trading spot. This is counter-intuitive as new traders are prone to over-trading, which reduces profitability, diminishes confidence and starts traders off on the wrong foot. Again though, there's no "formula" or magic bullet to success. Gelber is doing a great job.

"Treasury Bond trader"

Former Employee - Bond Trader in Lloyd Harbor, NY
    Former Employee - Bond Trader in Lloyd Harbor, NY

I worked at Gelber Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Been at many places, they were very fair and very tolerant of risk, payout was always very competitive and there support professional

Cons

Me being in New York and them in Chicago made it hard to reap all there benefits, but their satellite systems were top notch

"Structure"

Former Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great team environment and ability to listen to ideas

Cons

Shortsighted on building bigger relationships and trust

Advice to Management

Keep the trader happy with pay scale

"Foreign Exchange Proprietary Trader"

Former Employee - Proprietary Trader ­ Foreign Exchange in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Proprietary Trader ­ Foreign Exchange in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gelber Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gelber hires bright applicants from prestigious schools and differing backgrounds. Offers the support and technology necessary to succeed in a cut-throat field, while maintaining a helpful and friendly culture.

Cons

High turnover rate, high stress.

10. "Great Company with lots of freedom"

Current Employee - Trader in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Trader in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Gelber Group (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to explore your own ideas and generous P/L split. No micro-management and decent base salary.

Cons

Pressure is always on to perform. If you don't perform pretty quickly and learn from your mistakes, you will be fired.

Advice to Management

Little more guidance for new traders

"A great spot for good people"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gelber Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gelber Group truly understands the value of the individual. For people who are motivated, intelligent, and open-minded, Gelber gives great opportunities for individual advancement while working in a collaborative culture. Unlike some firms that mandate "one mind and one vision", Gelber allows individualism while encouraging a culture of helping one another. This is truly a rare gem in the proprietary trading world.

Cons

They are loyal to a fault, allowing sub-par employees to hang on longer than they really should. It's great if you are one of those people and just need extra time to find your way, but can be a challenge if you rely on one of them to get your job done.

Advice to Management

Keep a level of flexibility and don't let certain individuals or departments to become a roadblock to other's success.