Gemini Fund Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fund Accountant"

Current Employee - Fund Accountant in Hauppauge, NY
    Current Employee - Fund Accountant in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Gemini Fund Services (More than a year)

Pros

Bagel on Friday and a lot of free food.

Cons

Very unprofessional. HR does not protect employees. Manager's try to fire people if they don't like them personally.

2. "Heading in the right direction"

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, wages becoming a bit more competitive, new CEO is legit and a professional. The new client bases (ETFs and 529 plans) are really starting to gain momentum. Clear career paths have been set in place.

Cons

People in positions where they really shouldn't be, but that is more due to past CEO and has slowly started to correct itself.

Advice to Management

I know you can only make do with what you have, but I would take a serious look at your Seniors and see if they actually should be in that position. I would even consider testing to see if their knowledge is that of someone who deserves the position. Also, I would make sure more than one person in each department knows all of the department processes.

"Love my job so far"

Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant/Human Resources Assistant in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Gemini Fund Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, always willing to help a new person learn the ropes. CEO really cares about the future of the company and engagement of the employees. He has been taking all of the feedback he has received from current and former employees, and trying to create a company culture of mentoring, support, and encouragement that will foster employee engagement and allow for career growth and long-term employee retention.

Cons

The AC is a little strong. I need a jacket in the summer.

Advice to Management

Have an open door policy, where anyone can speak up about concerns they may have, and take those concerns seriously. We want employees to feel like they are being listened to, before it is too late. When we hear things in exit interviews that we have never heard during the employee's tenure, that is a problem.

"Not great, but not too shabby"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gemini Fund Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, fun environment. Decent people.

Cons

Jumbled mess higher up. Promises of stability repeated over months followed by unannounced layoffs. Too many managers.

Advice to Management

Be transparent

"Find a better place to work"

I worked at Gemini Fund Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bagel Friday's, shorts on Friday's during summer time, people you work with.

Cons

No respect, management sucks, don't paid enough, new CEO is an idiot.

"Painful"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gemini Fund Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New facilities in Omaha and Happauge

Cons

High turnover, very limited depth

7. "Be the Change you Seek to Create!"

Current Employee - Manager of Hedge Fund Administration in Hauppauge, NY
    Current Employee - Manager of Hedge Fund Administration in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Gemini Fund Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back dress code, bagels

Cons

To all of the complainers describing Gemini as "the worst place to work and worst management".......why are you still here then? Probably bc you are incapable of getting anything better or lack the ambition to do so. Sure, this is a negative environment, but sitting around expecting things to get better on their own is shear laziness. If you're that miserable here at Gemini, then do everyone a favor and leave. One major flaw of all Gemini (and NorthStar/Orion) employees at all level/titles is the inability to take responsibility for their actions. Instead of owning up to everyone's mistakes, blame is always being passed around. Of course people aren't being professional when all everyone does is blame their problems on each other instead of owning up to their mistakes, and contribute to a negative work environment. To all employees, maybe instead of blaming your mistakes on others, ask yourself, "What ways can I create a more positive work environment?" Being able to own up to your mistakes and accept your shortcomings is a valuable skill that many Gemini/Orion/Northstar employees lack at all levels. IF you plan on moving on to bigger and better things beyond Gemini, then start by accepting your own errors. You can't just sit back and complain, and expect everything handed to you. Grow up Gemini/Northstar/Orion!

Advice to Management

Set a good example and interact more with your teams, instead of just acting like your above your team. You can't expect a solid team to develop without being a positive role model, which nearly no executives/managers are at Gemini/NorthStar/Orion

"worst place to work and mgmt SUCKS"

Current Employee - Hedge Fund Accountant in Hauppauge, NY
    Current Employee - Hedge Fund Accountant in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Gemini Fund Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free bagels oh and once a year summer event with catered lunch but really nothing to write good about.

Cons

It isn't fair to have IT personal make fun of people's password that have left. They are allowing other users know what the passwords are of their colleagues. How is that PROFESSIONAL. As for Hedge Managers you treated the good people like crap. I can name a few that have left because of you. The people that left were the ones that sat here and explained and helped out. Where you as managers ARE UNPROFESSIONAL. .

Advice to Management

Since everyone likes to gossip how funny is this a former manager took many employees with her to a new firm. How are people promoted in this group? The new CEO needs to revamp the individuals

"So Glad to Be Out Of Here..."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gemini Fund Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual dress, work from home, and free food

Cons

Where to begin...(1) For starters upper management doesn't seem to have a clear game plan, or know what they're doing at times. Our VPs seem to tirelessly worship executives rather than perform best practices from a technology standpoint. Most executives don't even know what their department needs, and lack technical knowledge, which is why they created a Business Analyst team. (2) The Gemini Business Analyst team were supposed to make things easier for us developers, but even they're clueless. Basically promoted Seniors from Fund Accounting/Fund Admin/TA who have been with the company for 5+ years, but never studied Software Development (or even know what SDLC is), so they can't even produce satisfactory or even complete specs. Many times us developers are stuck filling in the gaps for the business analysts, because they're too lazy or don't know how to give us complete specs, which is completely unacceptable. A business analyst should never be reusing old specs from unrelated projects or asking us developers to gather specs for them, which has happened in the past. (3) To make matters worse, our BAs don't even do a thorough testing of our code, which they are supposed to be doing. This results in code being pushed out to production, when it shouldn't be. So us developers have to keep moving projects from test to production, then an error is discovered so we have to move it back again to test. It is difficult for us developers to be efficient when we always have to clean up after the Business Analysts. But it isn't entirely their fault since their really isn't much leadership for them. Their AVP of the Gemini Business Analyst team is more concerned with job security and taking credit for their work, that the business analysts are often left in the dark. So without an effective leader for the Gemini Business Analysts, their isn't much room for team development. The only solution would be to hire a team of Business Analysts from the outside who actually know what they're doing. But, gratefully none of this is my problem anymore.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your team of developers about what is actually going on in the company, don't throw curve balls. Get rid of the Gemini Business Analyst team as they're ineffective, and bring on a entirely new team of Business Analysts that actually knows what they're doing to make things run smoother for the developers.

"Account Service Specialist"

I have been working at Gemini Fund Services full-time

Pros

Received great experience working with Mutual Fund Accounts, and Alternative Investment Accounts. Gained experience with Bank deposits, balancing, and reconciliation. Also became efficient working with trust, corporation, and fiduciary accounts.

Cons

Management, Health Insurance, and Paid Time off