GenMark Diagnostics Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 8, 2019

GenMark Diagnostics President & CEO Hany Massarany
Hany Massarany

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Bagel Wednesday/Free soda/Free food at quarterly meeting" (in 9 reviews)

• "GenMark has a fantastic culture, and a great team environment" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "High turnover rate as well so it's hard to get long-term goals accomplished when the people you coordinate with leave every 6-18 months" (in 9 reviews)

• "No 401k matching at the time of this review" (in 6 reviews)

"Love it! Good people and great technology. Way different than the reviews lead you to believe..."

Current Employee - Engineer in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at GenMark Diagnostics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Genmark has a lot of great new people mixed with great legacy people; many of the new people have under two years here. The technology is awesome. Strong focus on manufacturing with the ramp-up of ePlex. Lots to own and put your mark on. And obviously located in beautiful Carlsbad. Come join the fun!

Cons

Some scrambling with the switch to a manufacturing focus (but produces lots of opportunity).

They only provide bagels on Wednesday and not every day. :)

Advice to Management

None yet. Just sell the heck out of ePlex!

"Small company with big problems"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician I
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician I

I worked at GenMark Diagnostics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bagels and Soda are the only things

Cons

Everything else is not professional. I would avoid if you have a choice.

Advice to Management

I worked on the 1st shift manufacturing and can’t ask my superviser anything because she comes in so late and leave early.
    The leads call in every Monday and Friday and they don’t even know how to do any of the process.

3. "Disappointed"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician

I worked at GenMark Diagnostics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You got bagels on Wed and free sodas

Cons

I worked at GenMark more than a year and at first I loved the atmosphere and the people. I can see that there's a lot of favoritism between leads and techs as well as supervisors and techs. I had the chance to work with 3rd shift and you got one supervisor who's got eyes on you while working, standing behind you pressuring you. Always trying to make higher numbers then other shifts . Then you got another one who doesn't care if their techs take 30min breaks, they're lazy seating down most of the time not helping around always taking breaks.

If you work here you'll probably start with a temp agency and good luck if you pass the interviews to become permanent with the company. They use your interview skills as a method to determine if you become permanent or not, not by how hard you work. The people who interview you don't even know who you are so if you don't speak English 100% then you're out of luck keep in mind they hire mostly philippinos.

Advice to Management

Hire hardworking individuals, who like to work who show up every day even on OT every single week. Keep an eye on the ones who are lazy, don't help their them and who only want to take long breaks.

Jan 28, 2019 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are interested in your feedback and are always striving to improve our work environment. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

4. "Not worth adding to your resume, look elsewhere..."

Former Employee - Process Engineer
    Former Employee - Process Engineer

I worked at GenMark Diagnostics full-time

Pros

Free weekly bagels, but not much other incentives.. worthless stock options that vest after a few year employment. Consider employment elsewhere if you're not desperate for work..

Cons

Bad managers that micromanage your work, too much politics for a smaller sized company, too many fires to fight, very disorganized.

Advice to Management

Implement production worker/engineer level skip level meetings directly with the CEO

Jan 28, 2019 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. GenMark is striving to improve the engineering process and optimization of our products every day. We will take your advice of additional skip level meetings to the... More

5. "Manufacturing Technician"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at GenMark Diagnostics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Usually we get nice free lunch at least once a months.

Cons

Poor Management
    No room for promotion
    No good benefits

Dec 3, 2018 – Talent Acquisitions Coordinator

Thank you for your message. We are pleased to share that our Manufacturing Technicians have a career path that was implemented in early 2018. I’m sorry this wasn’t communicated to you. It’s... More

6. "ok"

I have been working at GenMark Diagnostics full-time

Pros

little perks like bagels and snacks

Cons

openness of ideas and promoting

7. "Sr. Engineer"

Pros

Health Benefits, Room for Growth

Cons

Few opportunities for growth.

"Not greatness yet"

Current Employee - Management in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Management in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GenMark Diagnostics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm thinking, not many yet

Cons

crazy policies out of touch

Advice to Management

listen to your team and you may do well

"Then they wonder why everyone quits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at GenMark Diagnostics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bagel Wednesday
    Free soda
    Pays better then other production jobs
    Easy to learn

Cons

Favoritism!!!!! People are on their phones and are slowing down production and the Supervisers are told of this and do nothing because the leads are protecting their friends. People taking 30-45 min breaks and 45 - one hour lunches. Yet if you are not one of the leads friends you get in trouble for being 5 mins late from breaks or lunches. While working leads wil put extra work on employees yet their friends are roaming around chit chatting with others. Supervisers act very unprofessional. Co workers talking behind each other backs and causing drama. Feels like your in high school

Advice to Management

Talk to the employees and don’t go based on the word of the leads. It is very unfair how we are getting treated.

"Exciting Technology"

I have been working at GenMark Diagnostics full-time

Pros

The people! It feels good when a person's ideas are valued and they are allowed to do their job. Trust is huge! The majority of the people own what they do and the mistakes that go along with it.

Cons

Some people like to point fingers and blame other departments.

The sales side seem to think they are the only ones important. They don't seem to understand the operations side, nor do they appear to want to learn. The people up stairs tend to micromanage instead of letting the people they hire do their job.

Advice to Management

If upper management is going to make wide seeping decisions, it would be helpful if they understood what they were making decisions about and how it will affect the company as a whole. Sales are important, but only if there is product to sell and people to ship it out.

Jul 2, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments about working at GenMark and are disappointed to hear that you may have concerns with other departments outside your own. We do not take your... More