GenMark Diagnostics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
GenMark Diagnostics President & CEO Hany Massarany
Hany Massarany

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Bagel Wednesday/Free soda/Free food at quarterly meeting" (in 7 reviews)

• "GenMark has a fantastic culture, and a great team environment" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "High turnover rate as well so it's hard to get long-term goals accomplished when the people you coordinate with leave every 6-18 months" (in 9 reviews)

• "Small company and has its growing pains" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Regional Manager"

Current Employee - Regiona Manager
    Current Employee - Regiona Manager

I have been working at GenMark Diagnostics (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing atmosphere with intelligent people. If you are looking for career growth, look no further. GenMark promotes from within when it is warranted. The entire field of sales folks are topnotch and everyone is invested in our success.

Cons

Sometimes we focus so much on closing new deals, we forget to give the recognition previous closes deals. This is being worked on now however.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. "Exciting Technology"

I have been working at GenMark Diagnostics full-time

Pros

The people! It feels good when a person's ideas are valued and they are allowed to do their job. Trust is huge! The majority of the people own what they do and the mistakes that go along with it.

Cons

Some people like to point fingers and blame other departments.

The sales side seem to think they are the only ones important. They don't seem to understand the operations side, nor do they appear to want to learn. The people up stairs tend to micromanage instead of letting the people they hire do their job.

Advice to Management

If upper management is going to make wide seeping decisions, it would be helpful if they understood what they were making decisions about and how it will affect the company as a whole. Sales are important, but only if there is product to sell and people to ship it out.

"Chaotic but the people are great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at GenMark Diagnostics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The amazing, brilliant people I work with every day
    Happy hours - who doesn't love free beer in a parking lot?
    The technology and innovation
    Bagel Wednesday - But can I get a Taco Tuesday? Switch it up occasionally
    Fast-paced, it never gets boring here

Cons

Bureaucratic and everything has to be approved by the senior leadership team, too micromanaging - you hired capable people, let them do their jobs.

Advice to Management

Don't burn your rock star employees out, help them be successful!

4. "Talent Acquisition"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at GenMark Diagnostics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GenMark Diagnostics is a smaller to medium sized company that still has the fun vibe of a company in startup mode. The employees are hardworking, talented and passionate. The environment is fast paced, action oriented and fun. This is a great environment for people who love to roll up their sleeves and learn and work hard. If this sounds like you then you should apply today!

Cons

None. Great opportunities for growth and learning.

Advice to Management

Keep making amazing products that change the diagnostics landscape and impact patient care!

"Looking for a professional work place environment? Yes? Then please stay away from GenmarkDX"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at GenMark Diagnostics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bagel Wednesdays
    Free Soda
    Decent pay compared to other biotech companies

Cons

-The ridiculous blatant amount of favoristism within the manufacturing/production side
    -The amount of sexual harassment that goes on is hilarious because no one reports it, so many men I've worked alongside talking about female colleagues looks, what they'd do to them, etc.
    -Oh, you don't speak Tagalog? too bad, you'll be left out of ALL peer conversations, even from those from leadership
    -Leads don't actually lead by example, there have been numerous amounts of times where they are wasting time and goofing off with workers on the line
    -Most of the people working in manufacturing are temps, unprofessional and have no common courtesy whatsoever
    -English isn't spoken on the floor, 95% is Tagalog, which sucks for those who aren't Tagalog native speakers
    -Smooching the leads behinds will get you far in this company, but only so much
    -Most if not all that work in manufacturing/production take an obvious 20-30 min+ break, and 45min-1hr+ lunch, AND NOTHING ever happens to them

Advice to Management

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! why do you think there's so many mistakes and bad products coming out? take a GOOD look at who's behind making those devices, of course when supervisors are on the floor which is RARE everyone PRETENDS to work hard, but once they leave that clean room door....everyone is back to goofing off, this is a ZOO!

Mar 12, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

From the Senior Vice President of Human Resources: GenMark and its leaders are strongly committed to providing a respectful, professional workplace. You raise some serious concerns in your review... More

"R&D"

Current Employee - R&D in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - R&D in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at GenMark Diagnostics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people in R&D are great, my coworker brings snack all the time and honestly, it's a big factor in why I'm still here. Also the work is intellectually stimulating and challenging, there is never a dull day, plenty of long days though. Also getting to drink a beer at my desk after a long day while still doing data analysis at 6pm is pretty sweet... if that was actually allowed.. but it's not so that's going in the 'cons'. Benefits (healthcare, vacation/sick time) are actually pretty good but compensation (salary, stocks) is not. They also rarely reward good employees for working excessive hours and contributing in major projects so their "compensation" is lacking pretty severely (which is why there is such a high turnover rate and they keep losing good people).

Cons

Long hours (45-60 hours/week average), ridiculous and stressful timelines, terrible senior leadership overall with the exception of a few (actually just one) who seems to know what they're doing and actually have decent insight as to how the company needs to organize and operate. Pay is generally below average and they try to compensate with stocks but those are worthless most of the time. High turnover rate as well so it's hard to get long-term goals accomplished when the people you coordinate with leave every 6-18 months. They will lay off the people working hard to design this product but upper management will still get outrageous bonuses. Seems unethical really.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO

Jan 18, 2018 – Sr. Director, Human Resources

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your comments about working at GenMark and are disappointed to hear that you have some concerns. Let’s talk if you would like to provide more... More

"Asleep at the Wheel"

Pros

-Promising and fascinating technology that would improve pathogen detection in a very innovative way
    -Talented and brilliant R&D, Engineering, and Assay integration teams that did the best they could given the circumstances
    -Company events that helped to improve morale with parties and annual picnics
    -Recognition system that spotlighted the contribution of employees

Cons

-No 401k matching at the time of this review
    -Cliques between different R&D teams made it feel like high school. It was easy to be left out for not being one of the "cool kids"
    -Frequent interruptions in manufacturing's production due to limited supplies or defective materials which impacted revenue
    -Homework for the European regulatory system was not done properly which impacted the company's bottom line
    -Instances of insider trading prior to Q3 earnings call which garnered negative publicity and sullied GenMark's reputation

Advice to Management

The actions of the senior leadership team cost GenMark dearly in 2017 resulting in the loss of revenue, a plummeting stock value, and the jobs of several R&D/QC staff. I hope you are reflecting on the mistakes you made because those former employees are now paying for them. You have squandered resources and talent to the benefit of competitors. If you had any remorse whatsoever, you would terminate those responsible for the downturn, reduce your own salaries and sell your shares/assets to fund the payroll of the staff you laid off until the flow of revenue is restored.

Jan 18, 2018 – Sr. Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns. In your review you raise some issues that are very important to our organization and we would like to have an open dialogue to understand your... More

"Account Executive / Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at GenMark Diagnostics full-time

Pros

Comp is similar to other companies in the industry if instrument sells

Cons

Product not much different than competitor.

Advice to Management

Fix delays

Feb 28, 2018 – SVP, North American Commercial Operations

Thanks for sharing your feedback. While we are very proud of the incredible innovation and teamwork behind our ePlex instrument and Respiratory Pathogen test launch, frustration is felt across the... More

"Lies and No Loyalty"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at GenMark Diagnostics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good tech, could have been very promising for the future
    Bagel Wednesday
    Group morale-boosters such as picnics, community outreach etc.

Cons

This company will lie through its teeth to everyone. Filled with narcissistic fake-nice people in management roles, there's no room for anybody else in the room with their inflated egos taking up every inch of the building.

Absolutely ZERO 401k matching.

Passive-aggressive retaliation from management and leads

Promote a great work-life balance but in truth are very reluctant about letting employees use pto or even sick time.

The entire layout is not optimal for productivity. Example: It's very inconvenient to have to walk downstairs all the time from my workstation to get to the lab. Those that need to be in the lab should have easier access.

There's too much contamination, employees contaminated with amplicon had to cross over into clean zones which risked contamination to manufacturing. This was brought up multiple times, yet nothing was done about it.

Clique-city up here. Very hard to get to know my fellow co-workers when there's no interest in welcoming anybody new. This critique extends not just to peers, but to leads as well.

Advice to Management

Stop blatantly lying to your employees. Take responsibility for your failures and don't blame the people under you for your mistakes.
    Promising employees upward promotion to get them to do overtime ("recommended" but not "mandatory") and then not delivering. And you wonder why there's so much turnover here?
    Management, I caught you in multiple lies just in the last two weeks. Between talking to HR and my lead, I was told several blatant inaccuracies. Absolutely unprofessional and unacceptable.

Jan 18, 2018 – Sr. Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Although we are glad to hear you enjoy the company events, we are sorry to learn about your frustrations and concerns regarding management. To... More

"Stay away from GenMark"

I worked at GenMark Diagnostics full-time

Pros

Decent benefits and company events

Cons

A lot of director level and higher are useless. Too much politics and favoritism. Genmark keeps deleting my review, stop these shady acts and let former people express theit opnion.

Jan 18, 2018 – Sr. Director, Human Resources

GenMark, like any other employer, has the ability to respond to reviews and maintain our company information but we do not have the ability to remove or edit content posted by Glassdoor members... More