Gene Juarez Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Scott Missad

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely high turnover rate in every department, including management (in 8 reviews)

• I worked in the call center, It was quite stressful at least half of the time (in 6 reviews)

1. "Cosmetology"

I have been working at Gene Juarez full-time

Pros

It’s a reputable salon so you are often hand fed clients. You just have to have the skills to keep them.

Cons

Losing standards for their employees since they closed ats

2. "GJ all the Way!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Gene Juarez full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work / life balance
    Salon, Spa, retail discounts and perks whether you are FT or PT
    Fascinating, creative, passionate coworkers who enjoy giving their energy to projects and staff

Cons

Your original responsibilities can expand beyond original expectation without compensation following suit in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

Bi-weekly, try to touch base with members of your team to find out how they are doing,where they need support. Reviews could be done in a more structured manner (30/60/90/120) to allow individuals to express their concerns or note achievements for future salary reviews.

3. "Great opportunity to build Clientele."

Current Employee - Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Gene Juarez full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have fun working with my clients and don’t need to worry about the business side of things.
    I no longer deal with scheduling appointments, stocking products, or cleaning the bathroom.

Cons

Co-workers don’t always realize the value of working at Gene Juarez. Many haven’t experienced the reality of working in this industry and what this company provides.

4. "LOVE This Company!"

I have been working at Gene Juarez full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits for all FT employees (including Salon and Spa employees/therapists/etc), competitive/fair compensation, free ongoing training, room for career development and advancement within the company

Cons

none. my coworkers and manager(s) are great!

5. "review"

Current Employee - Client Service Lead in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Client Service Lead in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Gene Juarez full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

awesome benefits, you gain experience with different types of people, fun co workers, and every salon has a snack shack.

Cons

high turn over rate. short handed.

6. "Okay company to work for"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Gene Juarez part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job was very easy and enjoyable. I really liked talking to all the nice customers we had. Also management was very helpful and friendly.

Cons

Work life was kinda clique. Also there was not enough hours. I wanted more hours and they kept hiring more people! So because I was part-time, it meant I also did not receive benefits.

Advice to Management

Please update your computer booking system! It's so outdated and constantly slow.

7. "Specialty: head, neck, shoulders; feet a plus."

Pros

Passion to make people feel no pain: show caring ways easily and a must emotionally and physically for each and every client:

Cons

Every massage is different: studying the client carefully top to bottom emotionally and physically is a huge challenge and sometimes draining

Advice to Management

Have great customer service

8. "Amazing Company"

I worked at Gene Juarez full-time

Pros

Very family-oriented environment. Tight knit group of educational and support staff.

Cons

Schedule in the past was Tuesday-Saturday for Administration staff. This has since changed to Monday-Friday for all Admin staff.

"Horrible"

I have been working at Gene Juarez full-time

Pros

Discounts on products is great, as well as services.

Cons

The pay is terrible. Lowest commission I've ever made in the hair industry. Awful.

Being charged (without being told upon hire, or put into the "contract") that we are being charged PER CLIENT for things such as water, electricity, back-bar shampoo/products, etc. Last time I checked, that wasn't my problem, especially since they take 64% of all of my services. Also not my problem since I'm an EMPLOYEE, not renting a station.

Benefits are TERRIBLE.

Management is pretty useless. Everything is always crazy, when you need a manager they aren't around, and the GM is constantly on vacation every 2 weeks. They claim we can come to them for anything, but in all reality, that's not the case.

The schoolgirl gossip is a little out of hand. One person says one thing, it's all over the salon in minutes. People are constantly talking about each other, then pretending to be best friends.

10/10 would NOT recommend.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to the newbies. They are the future of the company. Stop letting senior artists walk all over the new kids. Wonder why the turnover is so high? Probably because most of the artists are entitled and rude, which makes the desk staff leave from constantly being yelled at for things out of their control. The rest of us aren't paid enough to endure the worst at this company.

10. "Manager Associate"

Former Employee - Client Service Floor Manager in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Client Service Floor Manager in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Gene Juarez full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The artists/massage therapists and skin care therapists are some of the best people you'll ever meet! Fantastic people and very skilled in their craft. Also, there are some fantastic people at the home office.

Cons

" Bait and switch" when hired in as a manager associate. You're hired in and told a specific position is being held for you and then find it it's not. Management across the board is an " old boys (or girls technically) club" seemingly forgetting the part of the GJ mantra that claims they are " dedicated to continuous improvement". Unfortunately I believe the Achilles heal /" old boys club" stems from who manages the managers who seems to back the ones " in the club" verses recognizing what are very clear problems from those with a new and fresh perspective. This prevents a business from thriving. Very hard to advance in the company as opportunities do not come up often. Feedback and mentorship from upper management is scarce.

Advice to Management

Feedback and mentorship is key-and should be given often to employees at all levels. Rewards and discipline should be given when appropriate- rewards to motivate employees and discipline so " the inmates don't run the asylum."