Genentech Reviews | Glassdoor

Genentech CEO Bill Anderson
Bill Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is not always easy because most jobs require long hours (in 96 reviews)

• Very small chance to convert to Regular Full time (in 70 reviews)

1. "Zero Growth as Contractor R&D at Genentech"

Former Contractor - Senior Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of R&D pipeline, you're always surrounded with really smart people.

Cons

As a contractor, you are treated as an outsider - you don't belong to the company although you are working in Genentech. At R&D, contractors are not allowed to attend group meetings and project meetings even though you are actually assigned on that specific project. You cannot present your data and findings. Moreover, contractors are not invited to company's holiday/outdoor functions. So while everyone is out partying at AT&T park, you will be at the company working with other contractors.

Be careful with their promises that they will convert you to full time or permanent position from contracts. That will never happen!
    Genentech has one of the biggest contractors turnover because contractors are simply tired of such empty promises and really bad people culture.

I happened to work under a great manager who would put my name on several publications (which is rare for a contractor). But that's it. He wanted to convert me to full time, but the upper management prohibited this -- it's a lot cheaper for them to hire contractors.

It's unfortunate that the larger the company becomes, the worst the company treats their contractors.

2. "Case Manager"

I worked at Genentech as a contractor

Pros

On campus lunch, occasional perks, some great staff

Cons

Horrible management, too many random trainings, FTE not helpful always have an attitude, atmosphere is negative, no performance reviews, overall horrible place to work in a very uncomfortable environment

Advice to Management

Treat everyone fairly’ this company is the WORST company I have EVER worked for and I blame management. The DSU (daily meetings) are pointless because they tell you changes then get back to the floor and can’t remember what they said (Especially Rica, I have no clue how she’s a supervisor). This place has potential but it needs to start with management which again is HORRIBLE, POORLY TRAINED & HIGHLY UNPROFESSIONAL!!

3. "A shell of it's former self"

I worked at Genentech as a contractor

Pros

Used to be fun pre Roche-merger, not so now.

Cons

Contractor are treated like crap and gets disposed as such
    Management are under qualified for most positions

Advice to Management

hire qualified people and stop nepotism

"At SSFP Seniority and Favoritism Win over High-Performance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot that can be fixed. If you are a problem-solver, you may be happy here until the politics suck you in - which likely happens within weeks.

Cons

The goal at SSFP is always to make things "just good enough" to not get into trouble. It is not to truly fix, innovate, or improve. To a degree this makes sense because the pace at the site is exhausting.

However, fast-paced does not mean efficient. Politics, bureaucracy, and inefficiencies such as unproductive daily meeting marathons and ill-organized and executed org restructures such as "Project Blueprint" paired with a "Lean" initiative that is doomed to fail long-term, suck time and energy from doing actual work.

Many low-performers are able to hide in plain sight behind the site's busyness. Once over the hump of 5-7 years employment on the site and with enough of the "right" friendships forged, there seems to be a seniority code that protects folks from getting fired altogether and often even snatch up a promotion that clearly rewards loyalty and friendships, not contribution or skill. High performers with true motivation to bring change and produce quality work bump against the roadblocks set by the pervasive "just good enough" low-performer culture until they either adjust to it or leave the site in frustration.

In my time here, I experienced several managers behaving unethically, creating environments of fear and favoritism. Escalating these issues to the next level of management resulted in either simply moving those managers to other parts of the organization or ignoring the issues altogether. It sends a loud and clear message to employees at SSFP: Managers have each other's back, no matter what.

Seniority and favoritism win!

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at the negative reviews here on Glassdoor. A lot of issues have been escalated internally through the ranks and have fallen on deaf ears.

Chances are that people don't land here to vent but because it is the last communication channel to express the pain experienced.

What are you going to do about it?

Aug 8, 2017 – Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. Not only is Glassdoor a space where our employees can share their experiences, it’s also a platform that gives us an opportunity to dig into... More

"Avoid like the plague!!!"

Former Contractor - Reimbursement Specialist in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Reimbursement Specialist in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with, good food at cafeterias and events. FANTASTIC pay, while it lasts. I think Genentech is a decent company but Access Solutions and ProUnlimited are FULL of heartless, evil sociopaths.

Cons

Contractors are treated like garbage, not human beings. I was not given the tools to succeed - I was given access to the case management system WEEKS after everyone else and I was punished for taking longer to catch up to my peers. All the odds were against me here. Trainers weren't the best teachers and each trainer had their own style which bred confusion among the group. Many hours were wasted while we sat and waited for trainers to come to meetings, hours that could have allowed me and others time to accomplish more.

Trainers told us to ask them questions instead of our peers, then were extremely rude and impatient with us when we asked questions. Then we were told to work with peers on cases. Then a few days later we were told not to. Then, a few days later they told us we could. The managers lied to us and changed what they said constantly.

Half of the group quit or were fired throughout training and instead of taking responsibility for their failure, managers blamed the trainees. Even if you survive training, there are mandatory overtime periods where workers are forced to work 12 hour days, subject to change without regard to your personal life.

Even as I improved, they did not give me a chance. I hope no one else experiences the stress and hopelessness that I felt while working here. I felt demeaned, fearful and worthless working here. Worst job experience I have had in my life.

Advice to Management

What goes around eventually comes around. You wonder why people quit en masse, it's because you don't know what you're doing and you put the blame on contractors and dispose of them, not caring that these are human lives you are ruining. I pray that your actions come back to haunt you.

Aug 30, 2017 – Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. In Access Solutions, we are committed to helping people get access to Genentech medicines whenever possible. With that said, we continue to look... More

"SSFP is a Toxic Wasteland - don't walk, run"

Former Employee - Production Services in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Production Services in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time

Pros

Winter closure (if you are eligible), sporting events (if they allow people time to go), free coffee

Cons

The "compliance" culture is a joke. We all pray for the auditors to really dig deep because the problems are so obvious to us, but it's never going to happen. From quality, to training, to documentation... people do what they need to do to make it appear as if they are being compliant. But we all look the other way because we also know how unrealistic it is to meet the pace that they expect the site to move at. Leaders fudge data, create projects that makes them appear busy, and take credit for work they didn't do.

And this whole "lean" thing? It's a tap dance for leaders to act like real work is happening but those of us doing the work know it's a waste of time. But we play along because that is the game. Give it a year and this expensive management fad will be just another washed up thing that SSFP tried to do to save itself from the inevitable. Leaders gotta make their mark so we'll all stand by while they flex their muscles and act like the savior has arrived.

Advice to Management

Just because you are a good technical person does not make you a good manager; the "leaders" often times have zero experience leading and take what they can get from the incompetent leader that came before them.

That blueprint project may trim the weeds at the top, but you better believe that those weeds have deep toxic roots that will continue to regrow, so long as you allow for such a culture to exist.

"Political"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, smooth sailing if you can avoid the politics (but you can't). Overall smart people

Cons

Highly political. Some co-workers will throw their mother (or you) under the bus to get ahead. You are never safe because people move around all of the time and eventually you will run into the wrong manager / co-worker. Different rules for different people

"Ghetto (Manufacturing) vs Commercial (Rich Side of Town)"

Current Employee - Compliance Training Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Compliance Training Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you work in manufacturing/operations your perks are proximity to the bay, free seltzer water, free rentable bikes, and company sponsored sporting events.

If you work in Commercial or a global function there are MANY perks both financial and work/life balance.

Cons

OPERATIONS/MANUFACTURING: Dysfunctional, duplicitous, and perception weighs heavier than reality. In operations/manufacturing the schedule is too fast, people are overworked, teams are under resourced, and the overall SSF site culture is partial work completion (i.e. 20% completed 80% incomplete). Therefore it is important within this organization to make appearances that everything is o.k. and running smoothly. This tactic tends to combat/deflect blame for chronic problems and recurrent issues.

GLOBAL OR COMMERCIAL: Loads and loads of politics.

Advice to Management

Shift some money from Commercial to Operations. It is not ethical to treat your functions so drastically different. High performers are leaving in droves.

Jul 7, 2017 – Account Manager

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to send us your feedback. Because the roles & responsibilities in our company differ from function to function, there will be variation in work related... More

"management disappointment"

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

Central location, and beautiful grounds

Cons

I have been seeing the excessive drinking at these so call company "Ho Ho" events that have continued to make hardship on families as the employees have become alcoholics. When is the company going to stand up and stop ALL drinking!! Does someone else have to get a DUI at a company function? Do more families have to loose their loved ones to this deadly disease? Please stop!!!

Advice to Management

Stop the drinking parties!!!

"Working as a full-time but treated as third-class citizen"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Looks nice to put the company name on your resume

Cons

1. Working as full-time with no-benefits. They require you to do anything the full-time don't wanna do. You have to be there exactly the office hour they require. You have to do anything they ask you to do. With no benefits and lower pay, the worst thing is that they can fire you for whatever reason, and they don't even give you official notice in writing.
    2. Micro-managing. Treated like a third class citizen is not a good feeling. Not only your supervisor is your boss. Every full-time employee is your boss. You need to satisfy everybody to earn a little bit more time to stay in the company with little hope to be converted.
    3. Nearly impossible to get hired. It might sound there is a chance to become a full-time employee. But the fact that it's near impossible. People work there more than two years to wait for an opening. All of which you might already get a better position in other companies. There are many other choices around bay area. If you can get a full-time from another company, avoid being a contractor here.

Showing 72 of 1,822 reviews