Genentech Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 14, 2017

Genentech CEO Bill Anderson
Bill Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Work Life Balance, Growth Opportunities (in 131 reviews)

• Awesome company with great benefits (in 164 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not always easy because most jobs require long hours (in 94 reviews)

• No opening full-time positions for contractors (in 61 reviews)

1. "Working at Genentech"

Current Employee - Clinical Specialist
    Current Employee - Clinical Specialist

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and salary are competitive. 6 week sabbatical after 6 years of employment is a plus

Cons

Feedback is not received well. The environment can be somewhat petty. Diversity (other than gender) is lacking in field positions (outside of San Francisco)

Advice to Management

make it a priority to recruit diverse talent and also support them

2. "Great company, but it depends on who you work with."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great perks to being a contracted employee. You get to partake in almost all of the events that official employees go to. There a strong sense of purpose among most of the technicians there. It varies from shift to shift. Most people are very nice and engaging, always wanting to do the best and be the best.

Cons

I got placed on a shift in the Production Services department where almost everyone resented their work and did the bare minimum to get by. There was a lot of playing the blame game on other shifts for problems occurring during operations. Not really a good way to progress. In addition my supervisor gave me no feedback whatsoever and definitely treated some employees favorably which was all to obvious.

Advice to Management

Hire a new supervisor.

3. "Scientist"

I worked at Genentech full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to make a difference in drug development and working with many talented people.

Cons

Management doesn't do enough to develop the talents of employees. The work environment is now more Roche then the biotech that Genentech used to be.

4. "Actually Roche"

Current Employee - Medical Affairs in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Affairs in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good financial and health benefits. Very competitive compensation.

Cons

Work hard, work harder culture. Totally unassigned open work space. No good space to work and nowhere at all to park after 8:15.

Advice to Management

Follow the data and restore workspaces, like other better Bay Area companies already have.

5. "Technician"

I worked at Genentech full-time

Pros

work culture is one of the best.

Cons

less than average compensation and hours,

6. "Chemist"

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

The benefits are so awesome!

Cons

The opportunity is so limited!

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

Great medical benefits, people and meaningful work

Cons

Processes, leadership and organization are always changing . Work/life balance is not aways great. High demand and stress environment.

Advice to Management

Helpful to have more stability and business continuity with changes in leadership

8. "G-Bombs!"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of cafeterias with many cuisine options, shuttle buses all over the Bay Area, nice campus, first Friday Ho-Hos (parties with food, drinks & music). The start-up and fun culture is appealing.

Cons

Segregation! The blue-badgers (regular full-time employees) are treated highly and the green-badgers (contractors) are slaves. Greens do the dirty work while the blues get the glory. I've seen many greens work their hearts out and not get credit/bonus after their work while the blues did. Converting to full-time is basically impossible although they say that is it when you get hired. When there is a blue badge position open in the group, they prefer to seek another blue rather than hire a green that has the experience. Shameful. Also it's way easier to fire a green, and I've seen the tactics that they wait on a Friday afternoon after you leave to give you the news (without prior warnings) by phone call. Oh, if you are green and need to take the bus shuttle, you have to pay while the blues don't.

Some engineering groups have a bad reputation of being called the G-Bombs, because of their arrogance and entitlement.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves, hire fresh blood and not people that have been in the same company for 25+ years. Management in Facilities is terrible, but I've heard that in the other departments is fine. They should align.

Have less contractors they will give in more. Moral is low when you see this happening around you.

"Challenging direct management"

Current Employee - Medical Affairs Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Affairs Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great culture and colleagues; buses are great.

Cons

#1: Ineffective decision making -- managers seem to interfere with other's decisions and not allow proper-level decision making; #2: difficult managers can get away with anything, as long as they please their boss. No review of managerial skills. I have never had an opportunity to contribute to 360 on my manager. #3: bureaucracy and work processes,

Advice to Management

Evaluate managerial skills of people managers. Find a way to evaluate their skills, even if they do not have many direct reports.

Genentech Response

Jul 21, 2017 – Account Manager

Thanks for your thoughts about management effectiveness. We recognize that managers play a large role in our employees’ experiences. Our hope is that people managers take advantage of the training... More

10. "Bio pharma with all the bells and whistles"

Pros

Fun place to work in most departments

Cons

Culture is becoming aggressively corporate

Showing 332 of 1,756 reviews