Genentech Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Genentech CEO Bill Anderson
Bill Anderson

1,410 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Good Work Life Balance, Growth Opportunities (in 131 reviews)

• Awesome company with great benefits (in 160 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in working hours and working from home, employee focus, good benefits, nice people with a good pipeline. It is work hard and party hard atmosphere

Cons

Flat structure, no proper pathway to move to next level, many processes to follow, one tends to get lost in the process requirements that becomes convoluted every year

Genentech Response

Jun 21, 2017 – Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you value the efforts we have put toward creating an environment where everyone at Genentech can thrive! As you ... More

"Genentech is a great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Genetech has excellent science, people and compensation

Cons

My biggest criticism of Genentech would be that it is not the best with work/life balance. Also, there is a strong focus on science (which is great) but very little attention to operations and the importance of solid training.

Advice to Management

Genentech needs to be more flexible with work from home options and should offer regional positions in order to stay competetive.

3. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

I believe in what the company is doing and think most of the people who work at Genentech love their jobs. I am also a huge fan of the casual atmosphere. I have a great manager who gives good feedback and helps those who work for him when they need it. I am very satisfied with my salary and love the benefits!

Cons

It's a fairly large company now so there can be a lot of red tape for some things. As the company grows more policies and procedures are being put into place, which can be cumbersome.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to the employees feedback.

4. "Genentech is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Career and personal development opportunitites are abundant.
    There is little bureaucracy and things seem to move extremly fast as compared to what I heard from other companies.
    The benefits are very good: 401k and roth, $4/day for commuting to work in any way but driving, great time off, good bonuses, free shuttles to take you to work spread out through the bay area.
    Open IT environemnt, no blocks, monitoring etc.

Cons

I wish they were more open with telecommuting and they would have a more transparent process on how they determine your performance. I wish there was more communication taking place between the higher management and employees.

Advice to Management

Have a better defined process for performance reviews.

"Best company in the industry and beyond"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

The people at Genentech are bright, friendly and driven, and the company lives by its mission of focusing on science and unmet need. The environment is one of "casual intensity", where dress codes and titles are much less important than work quality and intellectual capabilities.

Cons

The company has not managed to completely avoid bureaucracy, particularly in the Commercial organization where many of the people come from large pharma. Even still, I would argue it's the best place to be in the industry!

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

6. "Genentech is a phenomenal company with exciting science, great employees, and a wonderful work environment"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Architect in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Architect in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Highly capable company with track record of success. Profits are plowed back into keeping employees happy. Enjoyable work environment with lots of perks. upper management is highly capable, inspiring, and forward-looking. In general, whenever I do great work, I'm praised lavishly, and if I do average work, managers are still pretty happy. I'm sure if I failed to meet the requirements of my position, my employer would tell me quickly and give me an opportunity to improve, rather than ignore me, like some other employers I've worked with.

Cons

Have to pay for meals in the cafeteria. Sometimes very stressful at crunch time. Company grew very quickly, losing individuality. I don't like the big, impersonal IT department. The "Ho-ho" parties were moved to a really lousy warehouse with poor acoustics. Would rather they avoid "gimmicky" parties and focus on just having a good time at the party by having nicer facility for it.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job. Would like to see increased understanding of and sympathy for research, development divisions in the IT department.

"Every day (even Mondays) are inspiring."

Current Employee - Specialist in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Hands down the best reason to work at Genentech is the people we are surrounded with, both colleagues and patients. At Genentech, we are on a mission, working together to make a real difference in people's lives. It is hard to describe the overwhelming sense of pride I feel, knowing that our medicines are enabling people with cancer to spend months (sometimes years) longer with their families and friends. We are surrounded by some of the smartest, most passionate people I have ever met. Working at Genentech is more than "just a job."

Cons

Working at Genentech is more than "just a job." There is a high value placed on passion and commitment here. No one I know goes home at 5 o'clock and leaves their work "back at the office." Sometimes the lightning pace can feel consuming, but if there was one thing that I had to choose to feel consumed by, I'm thankful that it's helping people live longer, healthier lives.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

8. "Proud to work for a company that cares at every level--for internal folks as well as patients/doctors"

Current Employee - Supervisor in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Development - part of each person's annual plan; lots of training opportunities
    Doing worthwhile work - helping patients get access to the medicines Genentech creates

Cons

Leadership roles are stressful, have long hours. Departments are very separate but they are working on improving communication between departments (this will also allow career opportunities)

Advice to Management

Great vision! They really look at the 5 and 10-year plan and how their decisions impact all levels of the company. There are some changes coming that really are clever and took a lot of thought and several years to come to fruition.

Create opportunities for other than the Rockstars to excel. They tend to get picked for special projects while others are overlooked. I too have to look beyond the usual suspects (who you know you can count on and will get the job done).

"Amazing place to learn and grow."

Current Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

The benefits and career growth opportunities are huge at Genentech. Although the base pay may not keep up with the start-up and smaller biotech companies, the stability, wealth of knowledge and benefits/bonus make up for it in spades. Senior management is extremely technically strong and do not make decisions without taking into account the scientific impact of any business decision. The company is making incredibly intelligent decisions regarding growth and is very careful to maintain its culture with every move. It's a place that I truly enjoy working at every day and really feel as though the work I do is meaningful.

Cons

Because the company has grown so much over the last few years it has suffered a few growing pains. Some of the long-time employees came in with very large, complicated systems and the company is having a bit of trouble breaking out of some of these habits. There is a push for simplification and hopefully that will change in the next few years. The only current problem is in some of the loss of culture. Down the line when the company starts producing the blockbuster drugs again it may change, but it is in a serious middle ground for the next few years.

Advice to Management

Try and maintain what made the place so amazing to begin with. Keep making it a great place to work.

10. "A place where your imagination is the only limit"

Current Employee - Scientist in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Genentech is a great place to innovate and translate a discovery into become something meaningful that will ultimately benefit patients. The research organization has an outstanding team of Directors and VPs that have been recruited from the best academic institutes and the clinical group are emerging as the best in the industry. If you want to make a difference in R&D then Genentech is the place for you. Your imagination is the only limit.

Cons

Layers of management can make it a challenge to get game changing projects off the ground. However, it can be done once you know the system and you are recognized and supported by management for doing so.

Advice to Management

Keep on going and don't be afraid of change. Evolution always ensues.

Showing 1,410 of 1,705 reviews