Genentech Reviews | Glassdoor

Genentech CEO Bill Anderson
Bill Anderson

1,432 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Work Life Balance, Growth Opportunities (in 131 reviews)

• Awesome company with great benefits (in 161 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in working hours and working from home, employee focus, good benefits, nice people with a good pipeline. It is work hard and party hard atmosphere

Cons

Flat structure, no proper pathway to move to next level, many processes to follow, one tends to get lost in the process requirements that becomes convoluted every year

Genentech Response

Jun 21, 2017 – Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you value the efforts we have put toward creating an environment where everyone at Genentech can thrive! As you... More

2. "xgdgdgfdg"

Current Employee - X-Ray Technologist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - X-Ray Technologist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

greats to be a great employer

Cons

no complaints good company to work for

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing

"QC Technician"

Former Employee - QC Lab Technician in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - QC Lab Technician in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Genentech (More than a year)

Pros

Hardworking Co-workers, decent pay.

Cons

Management doesn't have a firm grip on what exactly they are doing. Turnover rate is extremely high due to infighting, backstabbing, and high level of competition. There are good people there that want to do well and succeed but there are just as many people who want nothing more than to see you fail so that they can take your spot as a permanent employee. The best thing that ever happened to me was leaving Genentech. My current employer pays me a lot more for the exact same work, they value my contribution, and there is no backstabbing. My life has improved 100% since leaving the toxic environment!

Advice to Management

Stop firing truckloads of contractors, then hiring truckloads of contractors simultaneously while paying them a low wage and expecting them all to catch on almost immediately, after signing onto a fairly complex job. Pay your contractors more. You don't give the benefits, you don't give them PTO, they don't get holidays. Give them a living wage. Ridiculous.

4. "Great place to work...rewarding but heavy workload depending on the position"

I worked at Genentech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and opportunities for employees to grow their careers. One really does feel that he/she is making a difference in patients' lives.

Cons

The company has become so huge that sometimes it is difficult to pinpoint the right person or group to contact for what you need (e.g. information, assistance or a service) OR the person who used to be the point of contact is no longer with the company and no one in his/her group knows how to access what you need.

5. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

Great medical benefits, people and meaningful work

Cons

Processes, leadership and organization are always changing . Work/life balance is not aways great. High demand and stress environment.

Advice to Management

Helpful to have more stability and business continuity with changes in leadership

6. "Awesome Company to Work for"

Pros

Smart People. Great Products. Strong patient focus. High ethical and moral standards.

Cons

Too many fun activities :)

Advice to Management

Keep the good work.

"Working on being Open to change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great people and benefits including yearly bonus. interesting work. good management team in my department.

Cons

takes long time to move to next level

Advice to Management

figure out how to keep people engaged when there aren't opportunities to move up to next level

"Great Company; Big Problems"

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

A very nice place to work. Most people are collegial, outgoing and helpful and the company makes a sincere effort to treat its employees well. Salaries are relatively generous, although it is hard for any employer to keep up with the cost of living in the Bay Area.

Cons

Many talented people are leaving the company. This is hard to watch happen. There are growing problems in middle management as more people are promoted because they are good individual contributors in a specific area and not because they are talented managers who can help their teams achieve the best for the business. When people are disproportionately rewarded because they are popular and well-liked, it generates a feedback loop that incentivizes self-promotion and political jockeying over managerial competencies. It is great that Genentech puts so much emphasis on interpersonal skills as it sustains the culture of friendliness and openness that so many of us value, however the company should consider what is falling by the wayside when niceness and self-promotion are so heavily valued at the expense of other skills. Genentech is remarkably conflict avoidant for a company rooted in science and this mindset leads to burdensome processes, including overly flat decision-making, deficits in critical thinking and, amongst the leadership, the inability to make the kind of tough calls that are sometimes necessary for an organization to run effectively. Some of the problems described in other reviews here stem from problems with management and others are due to the general sense of fear many are feeling due to rapidly growing competition, biosimilars, and tightening budgets.

Advice to Management

I recommend that management take time to look in the mirror and really ask why attrition is on the rise when the company has the best raw materials in the industry: passionate, smart people, a strong culture, a renowned reputation and a robust pipeline. There are systemic problems that need to be addressed and soon.

The trend towards emotional intelligence in workforce development may be helpful as the company culture can benefit from a space where we can passionately argue, disagree, and think critically about how to solve problems without losing respect for one another.

9. "QC Associate"

I worked at Genentech full-time

Pros

Great company with amazingly intelligent people! Excellent work environment and overall great place to work and develop your career.

Cons

Hard to transition to other departments unless you know someone.

10. "Region Sales Director"

Current Employee - Region Sales Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Region Sales Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Patient oriented and mission focused

Cons

There are limited field opportunities in commercial outside of SSF

Advice to Management

Stay focused on competitive compensation and benefit packages

Showing 1,432 of 1,731 reviews