Genentech Reviews | Glassdoor

1,450 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,450 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Work Life Balance, Growth Opportunities (in 131 reviews)

• Awesome company with great benefits (in 164 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not always easy because most jobs require long hours (in 94 reviews)

• No opening full-time positions for contractors (in 61 reviews)

1. "Actually Roche"

Current Employee - Medical Affairs in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Affairs in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good financial and health benefits. Very competitive compensation.

Cons

Work hard, work harder culture. Totally unassigned open work space. No good space to work and nowhere at all to park after 8:15.

Advice to Management

Follow the data and restore workspaces, like other better Bay Area companies already have.

2. "Technician"

I worked at Genentech full-time

Pros

work culture is one of the best.

Cons

less than average compensation and hours,

3. "Awesome Company to Work for"

Pros

Smart People. Great Products. Strong patient focus. High ethical and moral standards.

Cons

Too many fun activities :)

Advice to Management

Keep the good work.

"No longer meritocracy for promotions; over-staffed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits; Giveaways; Concerts; T-shirts; best Gov't Affairs dept in the industry

Cons

Lack of non-Onc pipeline; Big 3 going generic; over-staffed; politics in promotions; can't speak-up, too many processes, not nimble.

Advice to Management

gCareer is a joke! get rid of it or actually follow it.

"Great company with challenges ahead"

Current Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Colleagues are some of the smartest, and most experienced, around. 2. Company makes formal efforts to explore new technologies and methodologies and cares about employee engagement/development. 3. Office hours appear to be less demanding than other companies. 4. Company benefits are exceptional.

Cons

1. Tons of organizational inertia and employee complacency so it can be hard to get things done. 2. Leadership appears to be abandoning ship. 3. Management can make boneheaded decisions about technology focus. 4. Department budget tightening makes it less convenient to perform some activities. 5. Competition is fierce for access to high profile projects and responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Although the science and people can be great at Genentech, employees are encumbered by inefficient or redundant business processes. Addressing the ancient information technologies and burdensome business processes can improve employee satisfaction and productivity.

Genentech Response

Jul 19, 2017 – Account Manager

Thank you for your review and rating us as a great company! We do have some of the most talented individuals here and we’re happy we can offer comprehensive and competitive benefit programs for our... More

"Go for it!"

Current Employee - Drug Safety Associate
    Current Employee - Drug Safety Associate

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed company with lots of engaging activities for employees

Cons

Non relaxed safety department. No time to eat lunch away from the computer.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff. If you are a manager that has never done the work of your staff...Listen to them.

7. "QC Associate"

I worked at Genentech full-time

Pros

Great company with amazingly intelligent people! Excellent work environment and overall great place to work and develop your career.

Cons

Hard to transition to other departments unless you know someone.

"QC Technician"

Former Employee - QC Lab Technician in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - QC Lab Technician in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Genentech (More than a year)

Pros

Hardworking Co-workers, decent pay.

Cons

Management doesn't have a firm grip on what exactly they are doing. Turnover rate is extremely high due to infighting, backstabbing, and high level of competition. There are good people there that want to do well and succeed but there are just as many people who want nothing more than to see you fail so that they can take your spot as a permanent employee. The best thing that ever happened to me was leaving Genentech. My current employer pays me a lot more for the exact same work, they value my contribution, and there is no backstabbing. My life has improved 100% since leaving the toxic environment!

Advice to Management

Stop firing truckloads of contractors, then hiring truckloads of contractors simultaneously while paying them a low wage and expecting them all to catch on almost immediately, after signing onto a fairly complex job. Pay your contractors more. You don't give the benefits, you don't give them PTO, they don't get holidays. Give them a living wage. Ridiculous.

9. "Chemist"

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

The benefits are so awesome!

Cons

The opportunity is so limited!

"Amazing Company that is Changing"

Former Employee - Senior Demand Planner in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Demand Planner in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The salaries, perks, work environment and the nature of the work are amazing. The people are wonderful and the amount of work you accomplish is huge. It is such a pleasure to work with smart, savvy and motivated people. It keeps you on your toes and allows you to contribute in meaningful ways.

Cons

Positions are highly sought after so you really have to continually improve your education or your skills in order to stay relevant. That's great when you just hit the company with your degree(s) and your enthusiasm, but it's crippling once you find your "dream role" and want to stay put for a while. Seriously, if you are in a position for more than 2 years, they think something is wrong with you. There is no real appreciation of deep, historical knowledge. I am sad to know that excellence and expertise is no longer valued.

Advice to Management

Upper management is terrified of the changes coming to the pharmaceutical marketplace and has begun the dreaded "belt tightening" that comes with fear. If they would reach into the talented, knowledgeable and motivated staff to identify and correct some processes, they could do well. But they spend their money on high priced consultants who spend years to discover and deliver information that is already known at the hands-on level. Too bad they will cut the people who can help them rediscover themselves. It really is gone, the Genentech spirit. Roche, the world bank that happens to run a pharmaceutical company, has completely taken over.

Showing 1,450 of 1,759 reviews