Genentech Reviews | Glassdoor

Genentech Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Work Life Balance, Growth Opportunities (in 131 reviews)

• Awesome company with great benefits (in 161 reviews)

Cons

"A great place for high-intensity high-productivity work."

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Genentech boasts an outstanding scientific community with most scientists rivaling assistant professors in their field. Postdocs are given free reign to explore any aspect of biology as they would in an academic lab, but without the funding restraints of limited NIH budgets. The depth of scientific experience among the ranks of scientists is impressive and drives highly efficient research science.

Cons

Management expects long hours from research, very little of the warm and fuzzy attitude projected in other departments makes its way into the labs. The rapid expansion of the company also seems to have outstripped some logistic capacity. One alarming trend is the employment of experienced PhDs as "senior research associates", a position with no apparent career path.

Advice to Management

Scientists need more training as managers. Some of the new scientists are ill-equipped to run labs without some guidelines.

"Good place to work but not great."

Current Employee - Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great benefits and solid growth potential.

Cons

Sometimes it is not great to work for the best...if you want to leave, you leave to go to #30.

Advice to Management

They are doing a great job...any dissatisfaction with the company is largely centered at the group or manager level. You cant criticize management too much...they are great.

"Every day (even Mondays) are inspiring."

Current Employee - Specialist in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Hands down the best reason to work at Genentech is the people we are surrounded with, both colleagues and patients. At Genentech, we are on a mission, working together to make a real difference in people's lives. It is hard to describe the overwhelming sense of pride I feel, knowing that our medicines are enabling people with cancer to spend months (sometimes years) longer with their families and friends. We are surrounded by some of the smartest, most passionate people I have ever met. Working at Genentech is more than "just a job."

Cons

Working at Genentech is more than "just a job." There is a high value placed on passion and commitment here. No one I know goes home at 5 o'clock and leaves their work "back at the office." Sometimes the lightning pace can feel consuming, but if there was one thing that I had to choose to feel consumed by, I'm thankful that it's helping people live longer, healthier lives.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Best company in the industry and beyond"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

The people at Genentech are bright, friendly and driven, and the company lives by its mission of focusing on science and unmet need. The environment is one of "casual intensity", where dress codes and titles are much less important than work quality and intellectual capabilities.

Cons

The company has not managed to completely avoid bureaucracy, particularly in the Commercial organization where many of the people come from large pharma. Even still, I would argue it's the best place to be in the industry!

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Good if you like intense."

Current Employee - Attorney in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Attorney in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Stimulating and smart colleagues, good projects, cutting edge.

Cons

Demanding, intense, lack of work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Be respectful towards employees.

6. "Genentech is a phenomenal company with exciting science, great employees, and a wonderful work environment"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Architect in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Architect in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Highly capable company with track record of success. Profits are plowed back into keeping employees happy. Enjoyable work environment with lots of perks. upper management is highly capable, inspiring, and forward-looking. In general, whenever I do great work, I'm praised lavishly, and if I do average work, managers are still pretty happy. I'm sure if I failed to meet the requirements of my position, my employer would tell me quickly and give me an opportunity to improve, rather than ignore me, like some other employers I've worked with.

Cons

Have to pay for meals in the cafeteria. Sometimes very stressful at crunch time. Company grew very quickly, losing individuality. I don't like the big, impersonal IT department. The "Ho-ho" parties were moved to a really lousy warehouse with poor acoustics. Would rather they avoid "gimmicky" parties and focus on just having a good time at the party by having nicer facility for it.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job. Would like to see increased understanding of and sympathy for research, development divisions in the IT department.

7. "Proud to work for a company that cares at every level--for internal folks as well as patients/doctors"

Current Employee - Supervisor in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Development - part of each person's annual plan; lots of training opportunities
    Doing worthwhile work - helping patients get access to the medicines Genentech creates

Cons

Leadership roles are stressful, have long hours. Departments are very separate but they are working on improving communication between departments (this will also allow career opportunities)

Advice to Management

Great vision! They really look at the 5 and 10-year plan and how their decisions impact all levels of the company. There are some changes coming that really are clever and took a lot of thought and several years to come to fruition.

Create opportunities for other than the Rockstars to excel. They tend to get picked for special projects while others are overlooked. I too have to look beyond the usual suspects (who you know you can count on and will get the job done).

8. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

I believe in what the company is doing and think most of the people who work at Genentech love their jobs. I am also a huge fan of the casual atmosphere. I have a great manager who gives good feedback and helps those who work for him when they need it. I am very satisfied with my salary and love the benefits!

Cons

It's a fairly large company now so there can be a lot of red tape for some things. As the company grows more policies and procedures are being put into place, which can be cumbersome.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to the employees feedback.

9. "Genentech is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Career and personal development opportunitites are abundant.
    There is little bureaucracy and things seem to move extremly fast as compared to what I heard from other companies.
    The benefits are very good: 401k and roth, $4/day for commuting to work in any way but driving, great time off, good bonuses, free shuttles to take you to work spread out through the bay area.
    Open IT environemnt, no blocks, monitoring etc.

Cons

I wish they were more open with telecommuting and they would have a more transparent process on how they determine your performance. I wish there was more communication taking place between the higher management and employees.

Advice to Management

Have a better defined process for performance reviews.

10. "If you're in biotechnology there is no better place to work."

Current Employee - Research Assistant in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

The benefits are awesome! There is nowhere else that compares in biotech. They also pay the best.

Cons

In large departments, individual employees do not advance in rank and salary as quickly as smaller departments. It is also hard to get a job (or an interview) here unless you meet and exceed the job description. It is important to have experience before applying.

Advice to Management

You waste too much money on free food and parties. This could be better spent on new equipment and promotions.